maybe a mailing system?

i would like to see some sort of mailing system in dont starve.

in reallife its possible to train pigeons to deliver mails to a certain destination. in dont starve we already can capture birds and we also have paper made from reeds. so how about the possibility to craft something like a mailbox and for this mailbox you can assign one of the 3 birdtypes similar to how you can imprison them in the birdcage.

ofcourse we would need another item which will allow us to write text on paper similar to how you can write inside of books in minecraft. maybe you could craft a pen from a jet-feather and a diffrent item which could provide something like ink.

and then you give the written paper or finalized mail to your bird in the mailbox and it'll deliver your mail to the selected mailbox of one of your friends on that together world. your friends would need to have one in order to receive mails.

this idea would ofcourse require that we're not getting any sort of ingame chat in dont starve together.

there was a similar topic on the forums that suggested that we shouldn't be allowed to have global chat all over the server but instead communicate by using gestures.

And considering if you're playing with friends, you'll probably be using something like Raidcall or Teamspeak, so yeah... I'd be entirely in favor of this idea, absolutely. Semi-cryptic communication in a rather cryptic game, to me, seems perfectly fitting.

Communcation in DST is THE major concern. I believe Klei needs to give the admins(server)/(or locally)players the possibility to choose how to communicate in the game. E.g.  options for textchats, gestures and of course specific items like a mailbox, radio etc. turned off/on.

If however voice chat (other than teamspeak) is to be implemented I'd love to see that a normal conversation can only be done when close to each other (and maybe not while its raining etc.) and/or when speaking on a radio (maybe even exclusively listening/talking). 

mosquito sack huh? thats actually a very good idea! :encouragement:

i dont know why i didn't think of that before. at the moment it doesn't really make much sense to hunt down mosquitos for thair sacks. its basically only a spidergland which you can't even upgrade. this addition could make it useful to hunt them down.

but mosquito sacks can only provide red ink it would be nice to get other colors too. maybe charcoal could provide a black ink because coal in general can dye stuff thats touching it.

I do like the mail idea though. One day a crow arrives with a message written in blood saying "You're next." Ooh, ooh, like screecher notes!! Yeah, you could write regular notes with a jet feather and blood notes with a mosquito sac!!!! Ooh, creepiness abounds!!

mosquito sack huh? thats actually a very good idea! :encouragement:

i dont know why i didn't think of that before. at the moment it doesn't really make much sense to hunt down mosquitos for thair sacks. its basically only a spidergland which you can't even upgrade. this addition could make it useful to hunt them down.

but mosquito sacks can only provide red ink it would be nice to get other colors too. maybe charcoal could provide a black ink because coal in general can dye stuff thats touching it.

That would be really cool. Blue/Purple ink could be provided by killing tentacles, brown by cones (...maybe?) and pink by something like petals. Mailing system opens many ways to give minor items more than just one use, and that's always a good thing.

Archived