Suggestion to Perma-death debate.

I feel perma-death would be great, but to please people maybe add a very difficult task/craft  to revive a fallen friend.  Where the task is difficult enough that death is almost certain when attempting to revive the friend who died. 

Gravestone.png

This would either revive the fallen friend/s or kill the living friends.  This way creating a new game would be a no-brainer.

Friend/s Dies Begin Event/Quest.    WoW_Quest_Icon_Animated_Gif_by_atagene.p

• Begin task of reviving fallen friend within 3 days. (after 3 days, the remains have rotted and cannot be revived).  The task can include crafting something/visiting a special place and doing  some ritual.  (**Maybe dead friend becomes like a ghost and can still spectate but only has vision of friends.

• Task can be very difficult and usually results in death of rescuer.  This would serve as a way to resurrect the fallen or to eliminate the living.

• If the living friends really want to play with their friends they have to attempt the task.  Either way its a win.  You die trying to resurrect your friend, or you resurrect the fiend.  (this would cause a loss of resources and time, ultimately making "Don' Starve" more difficult.

-Some helpful balances

• The item crafted requires killing a mob (gets harder the more days pass)
  • Items required are rare and difficult to obtain.  
  • Items cannot be obtained unless a friend has died (Must begin a special event, this will prevent hoarding)
  • All resurrecting materials are destroyed when and if event is completed.  After three days (when the corpse has rotted), the even is failed, and materials are also destroyed.

I don't think there should be any rituals or anything that isn't in the main game, basically what I'm saying is, if it can't be made with the existing files, then it shouldn't be in DST, DST is supposed to add multiplayer, not add a bunch of stuff that only exists in multiplayer.

I don't think there should be any rituals or anything that isn't in the main game, basically what I'm saying is, if it can't be made with the existing files, then it shouldn't be in DST, DST is supposed to add multiplayer, not add a bunch of stuff that only exists in multiplayer.

So you're saying that if they use the current ghost model for fallen comrades that's cool, but if they make a new ghost sprite for fallen comrades that's crossing the line?

My opinion is completely opposite of yours. That is to say that if they have an idea that improves the DST experience but makes the single player worse, they shouldn't forget about adding it just because it's new. These updates for DST do not concern single player, so don't be surprised if they don't touch that game mode at all.

Imo they should use the current ghost sprites but with something to help identify which character is dead, kind like abigail's flower and eye helps to see shes not just like one the ghosts from graves. It'd also be funny 'cuz just imagine how goofy  a ghost with Wilson's hair would look like...

So you're saying that if they use the current ghost model for fallen comrades that's cool, but if they make a new ghost sprite for fallen comrades that's crossing the line?

My opinion is completely opposite of yours. That is to say that if they have an idea that improves the DST experience but makes the single player worse, they shouldn't forget about adding it just because it's new. These updates for DST do not concern single player, so don't be surprised if they don't touch that game mode at all.

You misunderstand me, what you're suggesting is purely cosmetic, whilist I was referring to any new items, esentially anything that requires a new prefab.

You misunderstand me, what you're suggesting is purely cosmetic, whilist I was referring to any new items, esentially anything that requires a new prefab.

Replace the example that I used with something gamechanging then. Point is that DST shouldn't be hindered by single player

And despite my example, they still are looking towards a ghost mode for DST.... Which is more than cosmetic

nedpeople:
I love this concept 
We should have 3 options 
1.Perma-Death
2.Semi-Perma-Death (Which we can revive our friends)
3.Non-Perma-Death

(Sorry quoting somehow doesn't work for me.. or I just don't get it^^)

I don't think they should add the option to remove perma death. If thats the case the whole point is lost, if you die it doesn't matter. People will then only play in multiplayer mode but stay alone because you don't loose your world.

They could just as well remove perma death from singleplayer then.

The point of perma death is to create tension. You try everything you can just not to die because if you do, you loose all your work. If theres an instand respawn this tension gets lost. "Oh, I died, whatever. I'll just pick up my stuff and go on." Also respawn items become useless.

But on the other hand: If you want to play with your friends and one of them dies it would be mean to go on without him. So everybody else has to restart just because one of them accidently died.

So all in all, I agree with the first post: Make it somehow possible to revive your friend. But it shouldn't be too easy like "press E to help up". There should be a little challenge to it, while the dead player can watch it as a ghost or something. That way it is still possible for the other team members to die. And if everyone is dead, the world is lost normaly.

nedpeople:

I love this concept 

We should have 3 options 

1.Perma-Death

2.Semi-Perma-Death (Which we can revive our friends)

3.Non-Perma-Death

(Sorry quoting somehow doesn't work for me.. or I just don't get it^^)

I don't think they should add the option to remove perma death. If thats the case the whole point is lost, if you die it doesn't matter. People will then only play in multiplayer mode but stay alone because you don't loose your world.

They could just as well remove perma death from singleplayer then.

The point of perma death is to create tension. You try everything you can just not to die because if you do, you loose all your work. If theres an instand respawn this tension gets lost. "Oh, I died, whatever. I'll just pick up my stuff and go on." Also respawn items become useless.

But on the other hand: If you want to play with your friends and one of them dies it would be mean to go on without him. So everybody else has to restart just because one of them accidently died.

So all in all, I agree with the first post: Make it somehow possible to revive your friend. But it shouldn't be too easy like "press E to help up". There should be a little challenge to it, while the dead player can watch it as a ghost or something. That way it is still possible for the other team members to die. And if everyone is dead, the world is lost normaly.

Well, There will be only one option i guess from what i read, and It's the Semi-Perma-Death (In a ghost way lol)

i really dont like the ghost mechanic, i REALLY EFFING HATE IT. my idea is if you die, after about a day you will respawn at the starting area of course, empty-handed

Wow... very creative there bud.

Please understand unless you get a bunch of people to petition klei (and it works as this helped make DST after all) the Ghost mechanic will be a default due to the higher difficulty of world management with resources/PvP. Whether or not you can change the settings for respawn in the world settings or will need a mod-if those are options at all-remains to be seen. 

i really dont like the ghost mechanic, i REALLY EFFING HATE IT. my idea is if you die, after about a day you will respawn at the starting area of course, empty-handed

There are still problems with this idea, however. It adds no challenge whatsoever to the game. You die, you go pick your stuff up, problem solved. The ghost mechanic would be ideal for Don't Starve because dying would come with a price. Resources, tasks, you name it. Having to revive your friends would be the best idea for DST.

Archived