Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

JustA4ever

Crock pot bug

JustA4ever    73

As far as i noticed this stuff happened: I decided to make some honey nuggets, put everything need in to crock pot and went away minding my business, after long day of hard work I went back to my base, ready to eat some nuggets. Instead of nuggets in pot I found root. I was surprised. next day I made the same thing: put ingredients in to pot and left my base. When I was back instead of dish I wanted in crock pot I found root.

To sum things up: food left in crock pot spoils much faster than it normally would.

Edited: My fault, food doesn't root faster in crock pot, crock pot COOKS root, I was standing in front of it (at night) and instead of honey nuggets it gave me root

SethR    1,229

As far as i noticed this stuff happened: I decided to make some honey nuggets, put everything need in to crock pot and went away minding my business, after long day of hard work I went back to my base, ready to eat some nuggets. Instead of nuggets in pot I found root. I was surprised. next day I made the same thing: put ingredients in to pot and left my base. When I was back instead of dish I wanted in crock pot I found root.

To sum things up: food left in crock pot spoils much faster than it normally would.

Edited: My fault, food doesn't root faster in crock pot, crock pot COOKS root, I was standing in front of it (at night) and instead of honey nuggets it gave me root

Hey @JustA4ever, thanks for the report. We still haven't nailed down a consistent set of repro steps for this bug, so if you could provide any additional info you have, that would be awesome. Some assorted things that are helpful:

- What version is your game on?

- Are you using mods? If so, which?

- What ingredients are you using in your recipe?

- What is the status of the ingredients (i.e. how spoiled they are, if they're wet, etc etc)?

- Does the bug at the same rate if you're standing next to the crock pot while it cooks as compared to if you walk away for a while and come back?

Thanks!

JustA4ever    73

Hey @JustA4ever, thanks for the report. We still haven't nailed down a consistent set of repro steps for this bug, so if you could provide any additional info you have, that would be awesome. Some assorted things that are helpful:

- What is the status of the ingredients (i.e. how spoiled they are, if they're wet, etc etc)?

- Does the bug at the same rate if you're standing next to the crock pot while it cooks as compared to if you walk away for a while and come back?

Thanks!

Rev. 104322

Mods: Display food values

Ingredients: Cooked monster meat and three honey

Status: Honey was fresh and monster meat maybe was stale, can't really remember that...

Okay, that's hard to tell, because one time pot cooked root when I was away, and one time while I was present, so I guess it's kinda random... 

Majikian    5

I'm running into this problem 2 to 4 times on each of my last 3 ROG play throughs on unmodded Rev 104670. It usually occurs when I try to make meatballs or bacon & eggs and one ingredient is still green but is close to yellow spoilage. Appears to happen regardless of whether ingredients are wet or dry, but it does seemingly tend to occur when using the crock pot during or shortly after a moderate amount of rain (although I'm pretty sure the crock pot hadn't said wet on one or two occasions).

Majikian    5

Also, the ingredients for the bacon and eggs were usually 1 monster jerky, 1 small jerky and 2 eggs. The incidents would vary among any of the ingredients when it came to which was close to yellow rot, but usually only just 1 ingredient was close to yellow rot.

It would occur both when I was on screen and adjacent to the crock pot or when I was 2-3 screens away.

Majikian    5

I thought this issue was tied to wetness but I just ran into this issue during summer and without any recent rain (>2 days). Freshly harvested watermelon at 100%, twig, 100% fresh ice from ice box, but one set of regular berries at yellow staleness. Combined in a crock pot to produce rot.

Majikian    5
SethR    1,229

I'm going to be porting this behavior to DST at some point. For now, I'm pretty busy getting DST ready for primetime, but I'll be sure to take another look when I do bring the code over--if I can find a fix, I'll make sure it finds its way into the main game as well.

the truthseeker    1,560

I'm going to be porting this behavior to DST at some point. For now, I'm pretty busy getting DST ready for primetime, but I'll be sure to take another look when I do bring the code over--if I can find a fix, I'll make sure it finds its way into the main game as well.

Speaking on behalf of many, many posters in many different threads, they all should give their thanks once they see this!

(I also encourage posters seeing people ask about this problem to link to his reply until a solution is permanently posted.)

For what it is worth, this is not Mod related. I get this occasionally when playing RoG with no mods on latest Mac build. It does seem to happen more often when ingredients are close to rotting.

porps    118

Hey @JustA4ever

I'm not sure that these details are relevant... when i can cook 2 identical meals from the same set of ingredients in 2 crockpots which are right next to each other but one produces rot and the other does not, it seems to suggest that it isnt a problem being caused by these things you asked for more info about.

Chopliver    0

I'm having this issue ~50% of the time over the last few days in my current play through. Here's some info on reproducing this bug. I found a giant spider den of 10+ nests and set up camp to have an infinite supply of monster meat. I must have made ~8 bacon and eggs and ~5 monster lasagna before I started seeing the bug, but once it happened the first time, it happened pretty frequently. My camp is tightly set up near a road, close to water, on a pine forest biome. I have a crock pot (obviously) a tent, a science machine, an alchemy station, a drying rack, a chest, a fire pit, a backpack, and Chester. Chester has 1 full stack of twigs, cut grass, and logs, and a straw hat. I've been using bird traps to collect morsels and there are a lot of spider glands laying around my base (1 full stack and 1 half stack). I can keep listing things off that I have in my chests/inventory, but hopefully this will be enough to reproduce the bug.

Character: Wigfrid

Days: ~15 to 26+

Recipe: Bacon and eggs (2x eggs + 1 monster meat + 1 morsel AND 2x eggs + 2 monster meat)

Thanks and good luck,

Chopliver

TemporaryMan    1,470

There's good news: I already identified the cause of this bug back in December and made a mod to fix it.  It's available both here on the Klei website and on Steam.

Crock pots estimate the amount of time it should take for the newly cooked food to spoil and schedule an event (called spoiltask) to tell the crock pot to make rot instead once that time comes.  Note that this is not how spoilage normally works: no food item actually exists until the crock pot is harvested.  The food visible on the crock pot is just an image to display what it will give you when it is harvested; you can think of it as a sort of I.O.U.  The scheduled event is only estimating the moment when the food would turn to rot based on the shelf life and initial freshness of the food produced (and it's not taking moisture into consideration because it can't predict the rain).  It is not continually ticking down the freshness from the moment the crock pot finishes cooking; there's a separate calculation done when the crock pot is harvested to calculate the % of freshness lost since the food finished cooking and that amount is deducted upfront just before the food enters your hands.  All of which should have more or less the same effect as if the image of food on the crock pot was the real deal, spoiling as per usual (except temporarily waterproof), just as you'd intuitively expect it to.

Unfortunately, due to an oversight crock pots don't cancel these make-rot-instead events when they're harvested.  After ~9-10 days of use in a single session (or up to 20 if you only cook food with a longer shelf life, like bacon and eggs) the oldest of these events reach their scheduled time.  When that happens, if the crock pot has finished cooking anything and is proudly showing off (an IOU for) your yet-unharvested dinner, it switches to showing off (an IOU for) your yet-unharvested rot instead, even if that event corresponded to something you harvested and ate ten days ago.

And I see how it got overlooked, too.  You see, crock pots are actually designed to cancel these events when they stop cooking.  But the funny thing is, they only actually do that when they catch fire.  Counter-intuitive, I know, but maybe the devs had a good reason for that.

So that leaves a couple ways to solve the problem.  You could build 3 crockpots and rotate which one you use every 10 days, so they sit empty while the outdated events expire.  You could save & quit every 10 days because the game doesn't save the backlog.  Or the most theatric option, you could give your crock pot a viking funeral while Valkyries carry its brave spirit to Valhalla.  Or you could use a mod to tell the crock pot to stop cooking or at least cancel spoiltask when it's harvested.  I opted for the last one, but since you're using Wigfrid maybe you feel a proper send-off in a burning boat is more in-character.  Could appeal to Willow, too.

Since Seth Rosen (back in September) and Bigfoot (just two weeks ago) have both said Klei is working on merging RoG features into DST, hopefully it'll be fixed sometime soon.