R.I.P. smallbirds

qwerm

twice now i've succeeded in hatching my own little smallbird friend, and both times they're met tragic end at the hands of the cruel and unusual denizens of this world.

I'm wondering if anyone managed to keep one of these tykes alive till maturity and if so, how long does that take, because i've managed to go quite a few days with the first one before the hounds got to it, and the second tried to box with a swamp tentacle, and the outcome wasn't particularly surprising.

yeah, they come to your aid, MUCH like the mandrake. ALSO LIKE the mandrake, they're about as effective as wet noodles in combat. Anyone know yet if they can be placed into a birdcage? or are they too big? Seems like you don't have to feed them(yet).

heck! DO they even mature yet? I could have sworn I read something in that they DID, but so far, all I have to show for my efforts is sadness, and two little graves marked "peeper" and "blinky"(not real graves, possible grief fuel hallucinations).

I'm a terrible parent! T-T

EDIT: anyone else think that these little guys should be named in a similar vein as the pigs?

Also, is is weird that I think they should drop SOME form of remains, at least so you can give them a proper burial if they bite it?

EDIT2: oh what the heck? why did this thread get dumped into suggestions?, if a mod sees this can they move it to general discussion? UPDATE: thank you for the move forum mods!

Edited by qwerm

I havent found a tallbird egg yet but ill definitely try. Im pretty pampered at the moment since im pretty far from any agressive monsters and alot of food. I just hope when they mature you have control over where they would set a nest. Also they dont aggro when they do. to balance it though I believe maturity will have to take a long time AND egg respawn would too for tamed birds

Sweet, I actually worked that out when I realised they were sweating at the fire during the day and shivering away from the fire at night

Hatched one, got 7 more eggs hatching atm will give updates

Edit 1 : Hatched 4 total now none have died 8 eggs are hatching atm

no change in growth/development, been 2 days since first hatched

Edit 2 : Hatched a total of about 8 now none alive, lost 3 to tall birds killing them, another 1 to krampus and 4 when a tree guard spawned. Got about 10 eggs hatching now though so lets see if I can keep them alive longer

Edited by JesusTheFrog

i have used every egg on my map and havent been able to hatch a live bird a few cooked morsels some wet goo but no bird wasent thinking about how far away from the fire it was but ...wow the sweet spot must be pretty thin tho my camp is small and tightly packed i may need a new fire pit outside my camp for bird hatching there are really only 2 spots were i can drop the egg in my camp, i built along the coast with alot of chests and stuff close to the fire pit. anyone know if and when eggs get replaced in nests?

Currently, if you're very meticulous about it, seems the eggs can hatch in about 2 days, though depending on what you're focusing on, it may take longer, especially if you have to take the egg into your inventory to move or keep it safe.

direct sunlight appears to be perfectly fine during the day, but at night you need to keep it at a reasonable distance form the fire.

What you want to aim for is to keep the egg rocking as constantly as possible as the "hatch timer" only runs during this time. If the egg is too close to the fire during the day, or the fire is too big the egg will turn red and sweat. conversely, if the egg is too far away from the fire at night, it'll will turn white and shiver. Too long for either will result in a cooked morsel or wet goop.

Also, be careful when you have the hatching egg in your inventory, as right clicking will have your char eat the partially hatched egg.

Managed to hatch a Small bird on my first try, although I admittedly had followed tips I learned from reading the forums.

I named him Gregory.

Gregory and I were living happily in my world. I was pleasantly surprised to see him and my 10 bee houses (yes, 10) getting along great. That first night, he crawled up into a little ball beside the fire with me. As I watched him sleep, I began making plans for the morning. Before night fell, my 20 berry bushes had sprouted delicious wonders, and so I spent the remainder of the night gathering and prepared myself to travel to the nearby Pig Village with the berries, as to finally set up some farm plots.

Morning came, Gregory and I woke up, and I was immediately greeted by his mother. The Tallbird had, as she often did, wandered into my camp, but she showed no interest in me and didn't seem to even recognize her child, so all was good. Gregory and I then set out to the pig camp, berries in tow. There I learned a great trick: I dropped the bundle of 20 berries, and a single pig came by, ate them all, and dropped 20 piles of manure right at his feet. I went over to pick up the manure.

... I had a spear in my hand. I misclicked the pig. With a single thrust, the entire village was on me.

I ran, and Gregory followed suit. My health was still relatively poor from a hound attack a couple nights back, so the angry bacon mob was all the more terrifying. I was escaping, though, so I felt all was well, until the pig at the back of the line turned his attention elsewhere.

I watched in horror as the pig assaulted Gregory with a single, porky slap. Gregory pecked back as the fight scrolled off-screen. Mere seconds later, the pigs gave up pursuit and all ran home. I rushed back to the location of the brawl to find a small, flattened, feathery corpse lying by a tree, unmoving and slowly fading. If I had the health to properly give those pigs a piece of my mind, I would have dined on honeyed ham that night... but I had no choice but to let it slide. I shuffled my way home. That night, as I stared into the fire, I swore I heard a small chirping, and for a second, my eyes caught a glimpse of a feathered eye in the flames, staring back at me with what looked like... forgiveness.

Geez man. I'm still in the process of getting one to hatch, but your story really does tug at the heart strings! :,( By the way, I've found out the hard way that you shouldn't leave an egg on the floor to hatch if there are pig men nearby. I caught one those blighters picking up and eating one of the eggs. I swear, if he gets close again, I'm gonna have bacon for dinner!

My first tallbird hatchling met a swift and unfortunate end. It hatched roughly 10 seconds before a hound attack (I ran to pick it up and put it in my inventory as the hounds were approaching, but it hatched right as it came into view) and because of its noble but misguided attempt to defend me, it didn't last very long.

I was going to write a very similar story to Rayze Darr, but since he did, I won't

I misclicked onto a beehive, and he charged in and attacked it.

Needless to say, he didn't last long.

R.I.P. :'(

I died the next night, because I ran out of grass... somehow. Luckily I had dug up an amulet from a grave (I didn't even know you could straight up get one, thought you just got the stone).

EDIT: I PUT THE GRASS IN MY FOOD CHEST. LKSDJN:GKJSDNFLSKDJFS

I was going to write a very similar story to Rayze Darr, but since he did, I won't

I misclicked onto a beehive, and he charged in and attacked it.

Needless to say, he didn't last long.

R.I.P. :'(

Oh come now, sir! This is a place for expressing ourselves! Tell us the entirety of your tale!

Very well, but remember you asked for it!

My story isn't nearly as long as yours, so I will lengthen it through the power of first person narrative and imagery!

(I'll post again when I'm done)

That's all i did. All of the events I mentioned happened in the course of about 5 minutes, lol.

mine hatched 40 days ago and they are still small :p

thanks for the info on this, seems that either the full life cycle of the small birds is not yet complete, or they are currently a mechanic for summoning krampii quickly, as the wiki says killing smallbirds is the most egregious form of naughtiness available at this time.

Managed to hatch a Small bird on my first try, although I admittedly had followed tips I learned from reading the forums.

I named him Gregory.

Gregory and I were living happily in my world. I was pleasantly surprised to see him and my 10 bee houses (yes, 10) getting along great. That first night, he crawled up into a little ball beside the fire with me. As I watched him sleep, I began making plans for the morning. Before night fell, my 20 berry bushes had sprouted delicious wonders, and so I spent the remainder of the night gathering and prepared myself to travel to the nearby Pig Village with the berries, as to finally set up some farm plots.

Morning came, Gregory and I woke up, and I was immediately greeted by his mother. The Tallbird had, as she often did, wandered into my camp, but she showed no interest in me and didn't seem to even recognize her child, so all was good. Gregory and I then set out to the pig camp, berries in tow. There I learned a great trick: I dropped the bundle of 20 berries, and a single pig came by, ate them all, and dropped 20 piles of manure right at his feet. I went over to pick up the manure.

... I had a spear in my hand. I misclicked the pig. With a single thrust, the entire village was on me.

I ran, and Gregory followed suit. My health was still relatively poor from a hound attack a couple nights back, so the angry bacon mob was all the more terrifying. I was escaping, though, so I felt all was well, until the pig at the back of the line turned his attention elsewhere.

I watched in horror as the pig assaulted Gregory with a single, porky slap. Gregory pecked back as the fight scrolled off-screen. Mere seconds later, the pigs gave up pursuit and all ran home. I rushed back to the location of the brawl to find a small, flattened, feathery corpse lying by a tree, unmoving and slowly fading. If I had the health to properly give those pigs a piece of my mind, I would have dined on honeyed ham that night... but I had no choice but to let it slide. I shuffled my way home. That night, as I stared into the fire, I swore I heard a small chirping, and for a second, my eyes caught a glimpse of a feathered eye in the flames, staring back at me with what looked like... forgiveness.

Poor Poor Gregory :(