Trapping changes are tedious and annoying

scraz

Please change trapping back to the way it was. At the very least make lethal and non lethal versions of traps so im not spending half my trapping time digging threw the inventory for rabbits to kill. I understand the game is very early and your trying to add new mechanics were you can but this crap is really annoying as a early player that cant take out Beeflo yet.

Also...THIS WOULD BE FU@#ING HUGE!..After you pick a trap up it stays on you cursor so you can place it right back. HUGE...

Edited by scraz

I agree, Though the Op's wording was a little strong. The rabbits take up too much space, but even if they stacked I don't like that we still have to drop them then hit them. It takes up a good bit of time if you have as many traps out at the same time as I do (6-7). I think making lethal and non lethal traps is a good idea. :) Love this game!

Well, why are you even catching them then? Just kill them right away, pffft… :) It's a super-easy thing to do; I mean it. Traps are useful for rabbits without a home, that's it (imho). Still, I like the idea of different traps (to be safe or harm), that's +1.

hmm you know what Im going to trap a rabbit and test that sirmentlegen. but even then it sucks because you cant stack items. I think there was some logic behind doing it like that though. someone could just make dozens of traps and simply loot them and put them back. at least this way it takes time, but the waste of still needing to use a weapon sucks. Maybe a global trap limit? maybe around 5 traps total per player and if you try to make another one or place one your character will say "I think i have more then enough" and make the trapping percentage harder so its not nearly as guaranteed as right now.

The standard trap currently available leans more towards niceness, but it should still be easy to simple kill the rabbit, either from the inventory after it is caught or while it is in the trap

I found it odd that I was able to free a rabbit, but not keep it around as a pet

my first thought when I saw it cowering was to throw carrots at it and make it a pen or something

Company is company after all

can't you just throw live rabbits on the fire?

Nope. The game won't let us do that. Can't put 'em in the crock pot live as well . . :)

One thing I noticed is when you trap them then relocate them away from their rabbit hole from where they spawned, it seems like they won't find a new hole to hide in. I placed several around my little base and they kind of just hang around there.

The bad thing about having those little critters around the base is if their are any dropped veggies, they will gobble them up . .

i like having a bunch of rabbits without a hole running round my camp it looks cool.. i would asssume that not killing the rabbits would be a part of a future update like a rabbit home or a breeding den type thing or something but as of right now there is no use for a live rabbit to be in your inv at least not one that ive found yet.. what about the bird cage does keeping red birds or crows in a cage do anything for you? i know you can feed them but after several days the bird is still just sitting in cage doing nothing. also would assume a future update would add a real reason to build a cage.

seems to me the game is trying to encourage the player to live in harmony with the non hostile mobs; since killing bunnies and birds would result in krampus eventually coming to get you, i've found i'm much better off just watching for birds to land and chasing them off, the seeds they drop are actually rather filling once you cooked them on a fire, and once you can get a crockpot or two up, you can safely substitute monster meat in your recipes without significant change to gains, so you can start farming spiders and hound instead of bunnies and birds, which in the total scheme of things, seems to keep the krampus away.

Also, gobblers are fair game, killing them does not appear to anger krampus, so if you HAVE to have meat, look for them in berry bushes.

Wait... this was changed on purpose? :(

The whole reason I used traps to get bunnies was because it makes me sad to kill them. Poor lil guys... and the birds! When you put them back on the ground they flop around like fish on land. SO SAD!

Not a fan of the new trapping system... terrible. Guess it's time for Wilson to become a vegan.

seems to me the game is trying to encourage the player to live in harmony with the non hostile mobs; since killing bunnies and birds would result in krampus eventually coming to get you, i've found i'm much better off just watching for birds to land and chasing them off, the seeds they drop are actually rather filling once you cooked them on a fire, and once you can get a crockpot or two up, you can safely substitute monster meat in your recipes without significant change to gains, so you can start farming spiders and hound instead of bunnies and birds, which in the total scheme of things, seems to keep the krampus away.

I love harmony and peace in games. Until the hounds came, i didn't even research a spear because i was never fighting, now it's self-defense.

[...] and the birds! When you put them back on the ground they flop around like fish on land. SO SAD! [...]

Wow. i am happy i didn't have to experience that yet.

Edited by Palpetinus

Well, why are you even catching them then? Just kill them right away, pffft… :) It's a super-easy thing to do; I mean it. Traps are useful for rabbits without a home, that's it (imho). Still, I like the idea of different traps (to be safe or harm), that's +1.
Maybe.... combine trap + hound tooths to make a lethal one ?

I'd go with these too.

I've never used a trap to kill a rabbit and unless it gets much more harder to get them, I think the idea of keeping them alive is pretty good.

I find the new trapping mechanic a bit annoying and pointless too, but maybe the game designers have an idea they'll implement later. It makes sense being able to trap live birds to put in the cage, but live rabbits are useless. Right?

I find the new trapping mechanic a bit annoying and pointless too, but maybe the game designers have an idea they'll implement later. It makes sense being able to trap live birds to put in the cage, but live rabbits are useless. Right?

Yes live rabbits dont have a purpose atm, but it extends a little beyond that. Traps used to be an alternative to using tools to get morsels. Now u have to use tools regardless if ur using traps or not. Traps allow u to capture more bunnies quicker, just like they used to do, but now there is a tedious job afterwards to collect them (they dont stack) and drop em on the ground to kill them with an axe. They removed a few things that prevent tedious jobs, and then they add this. Traps were a little overpowered, but this was not the balance tweak i was waiting for.

Imo it would have been better to make unbaited traps only have a % chance, say 25% of trapping a creature. Only with bait (and that takes away a lot of the benefits of traps) would u be guaranteed to catch a bunny. It would also be a good idea to prevent us from putting traps right on top of the rabbit holes, lowering the chance of a bunny wandering into an unbaited trap. I do agree with the change that birds no longer fall into normal traps. Birdtraps werent useful at all b4.

I've tested it, and its only four punches to kill a rabbit and that means no wear on your tools.

The only downside is after the first punch the rabbit flees from you; luckily he is not smart enough to run down a hole so you can just corner him and hit him 3 more times to kill him.