Please don't make the puzzle's comic pictures be a waste!

Killing people for their meat would make you an animal

Correction: we *are* animals! We're just deluded in unjustified self-importance. On top of that, most species engage in cannibalism at some point in their lives. We and chimpanzees share 99.8% similar DNA and chimpanzees routinely kill infants of other troops and eat them.

The only thing stopping us from doing the same is our social structure: the laws, taboos, and our upbringing to view it as wrong. In fact, there are many tribes in the Amazon rainforest who engage in cannibalism, due to their cultural beliefs.

I reckon the main reason we originally stopped was not due to moral reasons, but the fact that many diseases were spread (and still do in cannibal tribes) through eating flesh belonging to the same species.

Another biology lesson brought to you by Tamazacat. :)

*bows*

Correction: we *are* animals! We're just deluded in unjustified self-importance. On top of that, most species engage in cannibalism at some point in their lives. We and chimpanzees share 99.8% similar DNA and chimpanzees routinely kill infants of other troops and eat them.

The only thing stopping us from doing the same is our social structure: the laws, taboos, and our upbringing to view it as wrong. In fact, there are many tribes in the Amazon rainforest who engage in cannibalism, due to their cultural beliefs.

I reckon the main reason we originally stopped was not due to moral reasons, but the fact that many diseases were spread (and still do in cannibal tribes) through eating flesh belonging to the same species.

Another biology lesson brought to you by Tamazacat. :-)

*bows*

I know we're animals as well. But we don't act like animals, which is what I was getting at. We act above animals and only will stoop to things such as cannibalism in extreme times. So killing people for meat would make you an animal in the sense you're acting like one, and normally we don't. So don't be bothering me about whether or not humans are just another type of fauna.

Wilson's door: a few berries, rocks and silk. Seems simple enough (it's just because it was in the puzzle :razz:)

well, you saw that he also used a lot of wood and other stuff like that, and this recipe doesn't seem much consistent. how does this make a giant arm or an eye, and those rocks seem to be more like smoothstone(and don't forget the crows). Also, I don't remember building a Maxwell's Door to play Singleplayer or Adventure Mode

I know we're animals as well. But we don't act like animals, which is what I was getting at. We act above animals and only will stoop to things such as cannibalism in extreme times. So killing people for meat would make you an animal in the sense you're acting like one, and normally we don't. So don't be bothering me about whether or not humans are just another type of fauna.

But... We do act like animals. We act like Homo sapiens raised in a culture which does not endorse cannibalism. Many animals don't act like each other; rats are known to frequently devour their own offspring, whereas elephants have been seen to mourn the death of their herd members.

Many people are wrongly under the impression that humans and human activities are unnatural, as if we are completely separated from nature - which is a ludicrous statement. We are a disruptive course on the existing fauna, yes. However, that doesn't make us unnatural.

Back on topic: not sure if the door should just be made from rock, berries and silk if that's the case. If you want it to be true to the comic, the door looks like it has (correct me if I'm wrong - I don't have the strip in front of me) a deerclops' (or tallbird's?) eye and deerclops arms and hands.

Edit: just saw Ralph made the same point as me. Sorry!xD

well, you saw that he also used a lot of wood and other stuff like that, and this recipe doesn't seem much consistent. how does this make a giant arm or an eye, and those rocks seem to be more like smoothstone(and don't forget the crows). Also, I don't remember building a Maxwell's Door to play Singleplayer or Adventure Mode

Well, it would be hard to have to make it out of crows, deerclops eyeball and boards. Besides all recipes require most of 3 different materials and sinse berries, silk and rocks were in the puzzle why not? Yes, Maxwell's door wasn't built anywhere but except Wilson's house, but Wilson's door was actually a thing built in the DS world, so I'd agree to have it craftable. Plus if you need to find it if it's the only one in the world, then that's just too much and would also have issues with people like coming through it during winter or something if there isn't a base set up near the door, so yeah (and you woildn't want to build the base either next to the door if it was generated in a Swamp).

@XirmiX what you are essentially suggesting is a craftable doorway to Don't Starve Together, built in Don't Starve. But "Single player Don't Starve will not be affected by the addition of multiplayer except for content or features not specifically related to multiplayer gameplay." ~ JoeW

So seeing how a portal is a feature specifically related to multiplayer gameplay, it won't or shouldn't be added into singleplayer based on what JoeW has said.

But I wonder what new additions when Don't Starve Together is officially out, which are not related to multiplayer will be added into singleplayer. New characters comes to mind, possibly doors, maybe new biomes?

@XirmiX what you are essentially suggesting is a craftable doorway to Don't Starve Together, built in Don't Starve. But "Single player Don't Starve will not be affected by the addition of multiplayer except for content or features not specifically related to multiplayer gameplay." ~ JoeW

So seeing how a portal is a feature specifically related to multiplayer gameplay, it won't or shouldn't be added into singleplayer based on what JoeW has said.

But I wonder what new additions when Don't Starve Together is officially out, which are not related to multiplayer will be added into singleplayer. New characters comes to mind, possibly doors, maybe new biomes?

or more balance and depth for the already avaible characters, mobs and biomes(no doors!!! :-))

But... We do act like animals. We act like Homo sapiens raised in a culture which does not endorse cannibalism. Many animals don't act like each other; rats are known to frequently devour their own offspring, whereas elephants have been seen to mourn the death of their herd members.

Many people are wrongly under the impression that humans and human activities are unnatural, as if we are completely separated from nature - which is a ludicrous statement. We are a disruptive course on the existing fauna, yes. However, that doesn't make us unnatural.

Back on topic: not sure if the door should just be made from rock, berries and silk if that's the case. If you want it to be true to the comic, the door looks like it has (correct me if I'm wrong - I don't have the strip in front of me) a deerclops' (or tallbird's?) eye and deerclops arms and hands.

Sigh. Point went right over your head again. Not going to bother explaining a third time.

~~~~~

Anyways guess that rules out having to go through single player to play multiplayer. Good idea. Also for things multiplayer that affect single player it's most likely characters, mobs, biomes, and new craftables. But fixes to mob difficulty and world generation won't be included since multiplayer would have to be balanced differently than singleplayer. (well...exception to world gen for new  biomes/such, but other than that it won't be changed much...)

I don't think the question is whether it's natural or not, but about making decisions with morality in mind. Yeah, some for some animals it's normal for them to just eat each other and give no second thought to it, but in the culture people live in, not in their biology, it's things like that are usually unnaceptable. And that's the main problem with cannibalism(and why I support it so much). It makes you think about what you're doing, and wheigh your survival with your humanity, not biologically. For example, I wouldn't think twice about eating a stranger if it was my only mean of survival(and if it was well roasted :) ), but if it was a dear friend of mine, I would probably starve to death, before I did such thing. Nothing is horrible or wrong by nature. We as human beings make it horrible and wrong with our culture.

ah, and about the singleplayer, then multiplayer thing, I think the game should encourage the player to play singleplayer before multiplayer, but not force him to do so. It could be something simple, such as a message that pops out when clicking to start multiplayer, that works similarly to the RoG message

I don't think the question is whether it's natural or not, but about making decisions with morality in mind. Yeah, some for some animals it's normal for them to just eat each other and give no second thought to it, but in the culture people live in, not in their biology, it's things like that are usually unnaceptable. And that's the main problem with cannibalism(and why I support it so much). It makes you think about what you're doing, and wheigh your survival with your humanity, not biologically. For example, I wouldn't think twice about eating a stranger if it was my only mean of survival(and if it was well roasted :) ), but if it was a dear friend of mine, I would probably starve to death, before I did such thing. Nothing is horrible or wrong by nature. We as human beings make it horrible and wrong with our culture.

Exactly the point I was trying to make. Thank you. ^^

ITS DONT STARVE! 

All the characters are pretty much insane. They are insane, not pretty much, actually. Surviving and surviving alone, no company, barely any food, nothing fun to occupy yourself with, and then you find another person. You cry blah blah, your insanity will get the best of you. Less food, harder to cooperate, but you will hold on. Now you have run out of food. 2 people is a lot compared to one food wise, and you are hungry. You're partner isn't insane considering he came into the world and found a friend, but you didn't see it that way. A stab in the back and enough food to last you a week! You say to yourself, "I've killed worse," and move on.

I'm not saying you HAVE to, but don't starve isn't fun and games (ok, maybe it is, but you know what I mean) and shouldn't be taken lightly. It was confirmed you'll come back as a ghost anyways, so that could make everything harder! You need to survive without being killed by your old partner. More suspenseful, it could take part in a new storyline, etc. 

ITS DONT STARVE! 

All the characters are pretty much insane. They are insane, not pretty much, actually. Surviving and surviving alone, no company, barely any food, nothing fun to occupy yourself with, and then you find another person. You cry blah blah, your insanity will get the best of you. Less food, harder to cooperate, but you will hold on. Now you have run out of food. 2 people is a lot compared to one food wise, and you are hungry. You're partner isn't insane considering he came into the world and found a friend, but you didn't see it that way. A stab in the back and enough food to last you a week! You say to yourself, "I've killed worse," and move on.

I'm not saying you HAVE to, but don't starve isn't fun and games (ok, maybe it is, but you know what I mean) and shouldn't be taken lightly. It was confirmed you'll come back as a ghost anyways, so that could make everything harder! You need to survive without being killed by your old partner. More suspenseful, it could take part in a new storyline, etc. 

Unless you happen to just never go insane truly and use nightmare amulets to harvest nightmare fuel from rabbits. And look at Webber, he's constantly complaining that the pigmen and bunnymen hate him and that they never want to play. He's just a kid, not someone who would even think about cannibalism. I can't see Wendy or Wickerbottom doing it either, Wickerbottom hates spoiled food (which eating other people wouldn't be particularly great either, and it'd rot quickly in the sun all day), and Wendy wouldn't think about it due to the loss of her sister. Sure she talks about death all the time, but that's just her having realised that there's nothing she can do to keep from dying at some point, not because she's a psychopath. The only one's I'd be worried about for cannibalism are Woodie, Wolfgang, and Wes. Woodie is obviously insane due to him talking to his axe and the whole cursed bit. Wolfgang doesn't fit the personality what with being afraid of the dark and monsters, but when he's in his buff form he'd be pretty intimidating. And Wes...is Wes. One shudders to imagine what inhuman thoughts lie behind that face. What dreams of chronic and sustained cruelty...

(Oh also that new actor chick is crazy+meat only, prime suspect for possible cannibal)

Unless you happen to just never go insane truly and use nightmare amulets to harvest nightmare fuel from rabbits. And look at Webber, he's constantly complaining that the pigmen and bunnymen hate him and that they never want to play. He's just a kid, not someone who would even think about cannibalism. I can't see Wendy or Wickerbottom doing it either, Wickerbottom hates spoiled food (which eating other people wouldn't be particularly great either, and it'd rot quickly in the sun all day), and Wendy wouldn't think about it due to the loss of her sister. Sure she talks about death all the time, but that's just her having realised that there's nothing she can do to keep from dying at some point, not because she's a psychopath. The only one's I'd be worried about for cannibalism are Woodie, Wolfgang, and Wes. Woodie is obviously insane due to him talking to his axe and the whole cursed bit. Wolfgang doesn't fit the personality what with being afraid of the dark and monsters, but when he's in his buff form he'd be pretty intimidating. And Wes...is Wes. One shudders to imagine what inhuman thoughts lie behind that face. What dreams of chronic and sustained cruelty...

(Oh also that new actor chick is crazy+meat only, prime suspect for possible cannibal)

Webber doesn't stay young forever. Wendy thinks about death and would have no problem doing it, Wickerbottom can eat meat, if it spoiled she wouldn't eat it.

I'm just saying cannibalism would be an excellent idea and would make Don't Starve more grotesque and wicked, and less fun and playful. If you want to truly feel the DS experience, cannibalism would definitely work.  

Webber doesn't stay young forever. Wendy thinks about death and would have no problem doing it, Wickerbottom can eat meat, if it spoiled she wouldn't eat it.

I'm just saying cannibalism would be an excellent idea and would make Don't Starve more grotesque and wicked, and less fun and playful. If you want to truly feel the DS experience, cannibalism would definitely work.  

Wendy is 'the bereaved'. She's mourning her dead sister, that's why she talks about death. She would have a problem killing another person since she's depressed about her sister being dead so why would she make her only other companion dead as well?

Wendy is 'the bereaved'. She's mourning her dead sister, that's why she talks about death. She would have a problem killing another person since she's depressed about her sister being dead so why would she make her only other companion dead as well?

Thats like saying "Wigifried is an actor so she wouldn't eat people, only pretend to,"

The death of her sister made her INSANE, insane people ramble on about death, she is insane. If she met someone else, she would talk about death, and she is now ok with deaths. She can easily eat her new companion, maybe she killed it "For Abigail" or something, but she would do it.

I think we're going way off-topic here, but I'll just add this. Pigs are almost human in this game. I see Wilson befriending all of them and making them go into a war for his friendship and then picking up whatever remains of their corpses without hesitation. Would it be too much of a leap to eat another person, specially if the situation is bad to this point, and if he really wants to survive no matter what?

I think we're going way off-topic here, but I'll just add this. Pigs are almost human in this game. I see Wilson befriending all of them and making them go into a war for his friendship and then picking up whatever remains of their corpses without hesitation. Would it be too much of a leap to eat another person, specially if the situation is bad to this point, and if he really wants to survive no matter what?

it could also be done in a comical way and most wouldn't bat an eyelash. Like when you get murdered, you do this cartoony spin and fall over, but the bottomline is that you just witnessed a gruesome ordeal :razz:

Thats like saying "Wigifried is an actor so she wouldn't eat people, only pretend to,"

The death of her sister made her INSANE, insane people ramble on about death, she is insane. If she met someone else, she would talk about death, and she is now ok with deaths. She can easily eat her new companion, maybe she killed it "For Abigail" or something, but she would do it.

Not really. She's depressed, not insane. Insane people lack capability for rational thought, not talk about death all the time. People have really gotten so depressed of the loss of a loved one they'll ramble on about it for hours and hours. Doesn't make them insane, just really depressed.

Note most of the time the pigs are killed by something other than Wilson when he goes to grab the meat. Teamwork is golden since he's alone in the wilderness, but once they're dead they're dead.

Not really. She's depressed, not insane. Insane people lack capability for rational thought, not talk about death all the time. People have really gotten so depressed of the loss of a loved one they'll ramble on about it for hours and hours. Doesn't make them insane, just really depressed.

Note most of the time the pigs are killed by something other than Wilson when he goes to grab the meat. Teamwork is golden since he's alone in the wilderness, but once they're dead they're dead.

Being depressed is not being completely fine apart from always talking about death and dark things. Depression is where you feel like crap even when everything is going good for you. All  you want to do is nothing, suicide is even an option.

This is being insane. She has gone insane after Abigail's death, she isn't depressed. That's why she talks about death in general and not suicide or other depressing thoughts.

Being depressed is not being completely fine apart from always talking about death and dark things. Depression is where you feel like crap even when everything is going good for you. All  you want to do is nothing, suicide is even an option.

This is being insane. She has gone insane after Abigail's death, she isn't depressed. That's why she talks about death in general and not suicide or other depressing thoughts.

Or....they actually have nothing to do with eachother and she could just be morbid and you could stop generalizing people with mental illnesses.  

Or....they actually have nothing to do with eachother and she could just be morbid and you could stop generalizing people with mental illnesses.  

^ Really, you're actually being kind of a jerk about that. There's lots of different ways to be insane, but being insane in general is to not be sane by definition. What that means is you lack capability to rationalize correctly, and just talking about death all the time doesn't really count as insanity. Heck, I'm fairly morbid as well telling people not to die instead of bye and thinking up scenerios where people could get gibbed on a daily basis. Doesn't mean I'm insane, just morbid. Wendy is simply a depressed, grieving sister. Not a psychopathic murderer. Plenty of people end up in depressed state like that, and yes long periods of depression can lead to thoughts of suicide. But extremely rarely does anyone ever think of harming someone other than themselves when they're depressed, especially if they're sad due to loneliness/loss. Just doesn't make much sense for her to go and commit cold-blooded murder.

~~~~~

Anyways, back on topic. Since single player isn't going to be affected by multiplayer I think that the craftable portal thing is moot. Possibly the portal will simply be the spawn point for multiplayer, but other than that...

Well, I know I'm generaliing, but thats the mode of the situation. I'm using the mode to prove a point, but I do believe Wendy is insane and not depressed.

^ Really, you're actually being kind of a jerk about that. There's lots of different ways to be insane, but being insane in general is to not be sane by definition. What that means is you lack capability to rationalize correctly, and just talking about death all the time doesn't really count as insanity. Heck, I'm fairly morbid as well telling people not to die instead of bye and thinking up scenerios where people could get gibbed on a daily basis. Doesn't mean I'm insane, just morbid. Wendy is simply a depressed, grieving sister. Not a psychopathic murderer. Plenty of people end up in depressed state like that, and yes long periods of depression can lead to thoughts of suicide. But extremely rarely does anyone ever think of harming someone other than themselves when they're depressed, especially if they're sad due to loneliness/loss. Just doesn't make much sense for her to go and commit cold-blooded murder.

~~~~~

Anyways, back on topic. Since single player isn't going to be affected by multiplayer I think that the craftable portal thing is moot. Possibly the portal will simply be the spawn point for multiplayer, but other than that...

I don't mean to be a jerk, but I do believe depression is not the case, and even if it was, depression isn't stopping insanity, insanity would come easier with depression, just imagine being depressed in a world like that.

Archived