Sign in to follow this  
Achalave

[Gameplay] Research Lost When Continuing a Game

Gordon Gekko    10

Having the same problem.

Playing in Chrome (V70504), every time I log out I lose all research points and all research items are re-locked.

Just as a test, I logged in, fed my Alchemy Machine some gold and then waited for the auto-save. After auto-save, I logged out. When I logged back in, my newly acquired research points were gone, and so was the gold I fed the machine.

Basically makes the game unplayable until a fix is produced.

Edited by Gordon Gekko

wullail    10

Using Chrome.

I just lost 975 research with just the same problem , but I ONLY ever use the auto-save , never quit before the start of a new day.

All the items I spent HOURS unlocking today are now re-locked.

How was this tested?...obviously not well enough...

:cry::cry::cry::cry:

Edited by wullail

Ditocoaf    10

When this is fixed, here's a tip for everyone: I found that you can fully unlock everything in about 50 minutes of play. Just dig up EVERY tuft of grass on your starting biome, and feed it into a science machine. Then turn all your excess cut crass into rope, and research that too. This took me about 7 ingame days, though it'll depend on how efficient you are. You should now have more than enough research points for every item in the game! You then just need to go find enough rocks/gold to build an alchemy engine.

It's kinda cheap and dumb, but if you've already done it all the normal way, it's a fun challenge to speedrun your way back to where you were. See if you can do this faster than I did! Though obviously don't do this until saving is fixed.

You'll still have to get your characters back the long way, unfortunately.

Lilly    10

I also lost my research points every time I login to play...and most of the research is unlocked. Hopefully it will come back :(

Guys, a fix is being worked on.

Just wait a day or 2 and it should be fixed, Kevin has already noticed the problem and already sayd hes working on it, so chillll :D

OK, we'll look into it in the morning. The actual fix should work for you once we publish that.

Loki    10

Same here. Using Chrome, got some research points, exited via "esc" after autosaving in the night, re-logged and zero research left.

Kevin    1706

If you guys get *new* points and save and come back, do they stick around? Your old points are not going to come back - the files got overwritten during the time between the patch and the hotfix.

Rusko    10
If you guys get *new* points and save and come back, do they stick around? Your old points are not going to come back - the files got overwritten during the time between the patch and the hotfix.

I had all research unlocked except for the new birdcage :(

Since this is beta, we all expect an occasional explosion. However, since it's beta... why not give us loyal testers the unlock all research key? Then we could thoroughly test it! haha

I'll try getting some points and letting the autosave come and then just close the browser. Will report back.

Thanks for the cool new fun stuff Kevin! :)

Edit: I didn't have the amulet unlocked either. lolz

Edited by Rusko

Rusko    10

I noticed that the autosave only happens in the morning. I'm pretty sure it happened at dusk also, prior to the patch. But the work around is to wait until morning before you close the game down.

Any other questions Kevin?

Edit: I just used the save and exit button. Then closed the tab and started the Don't Starve app again, and my new research points were retained.

I hope this helps.

Edited by Rusko

Thank you for fixing this glitch! You don't know how long it bothered me! And now I'm soooooo mad I lost Wolfgang! Guess I need to start from scratch again :/ But atleast I don't have to keep on getting my research points and characters back!

Ditocoaf    10
I had all research unlocked except for the new birdcage :(

Same here. But here's a tip: it's actually really easy to re-research everything once you know how the game works. A lot of things are cheaper to research than they used to be, too. Just spend about an hour running around digging up grass tufts, and feed a bunch of tufts and rope into the machine, and you can unlock everything in about 7 in-game days!

cheart99    10

This just happened to me. I had everything unlocked, almost day 29, always let the game autosave on it's own at morning and then logged out. I just loged back in today to continue and everything was locked and my reserach points gone!!!!! *cries*

Playing on chrome and using XP. Only ever used the ingame autosave, never saved the game myself. playing beta 70528

Update: It seems to have been fixed with the hotfix. Thanks guys, it got to be hard creating a game with it being played in the process.

Edited by cheart99

Cider    10

Really disappointed in losing all the research. Especially when I don't have anything else to research now. Yes it does save our last research. The bug has been fixed.

Bug Submission

Please choose a category

[Gameplay]

Platform

• Chrome

Version Number

Issue title

Research Went Away

Steps to reproduce

Continue Game

Describe your issue

I didn't play for a few days, and today when I went and continued my game I found that everything I had previously researched is gone, and my research points reset to 0, leaving me to have to research everything again.
:|