Dec 11 Update: Naughty & Nice Release Notes!

Corey

I feel like too many people want this game to be Minecraft. This game isn't minecraft. (Personally, I hope it keeps taking inspiration from rougelike-ish games.) And still other people have gotten too used to playing the game with no mid/endgame content, and so are attached to the current placeholder progression. I hope they don't affect the direction of development too much.

Mostly this. I've been playing as Wendy post-update, on a new world. And I keep dying! I, who had mastered the previous version of the game to the point that I could have pretty much everything and be Set For Life™ by Day 50 or so, can now no longer make it to Day 25.

The new Spider Dens are pumping out enough Spiders at once that I'm guaranteed to mis-click or mis-move at least a few times and take armor/health damage. I've even died to carelessness and not watching my Log Suit/Health while trying to tackle too many nests in a row - that never happened in previous versions. And while it's frustrating to a degree (why am I dying all of a sudden!?), I understand that it's GREAT for the game as a whole, because it's soooo much harder to hit the existing, not-even-close-to-done content wall. This means that getting to other worlds and seeing "endgame" content is going to take much more time and dedication - all good things, in my opinion.

General update impressions after one real-life night of playing (and three deaths!):

Rabbits are now quite tough to "cut off" and kill with tools or weapons - which is great, because of two things: one, it means that Traps are the best way to catch them - but traps also equal your "naughty meter" going up, so there is a trade-off; and two, if you manage to kill one with a weapon, you don't accrue any naughtiness, but it's much harder to accomplish than before. Either way, the days of cutting off 12 rabbits in a couple of in-game hours and being able to live soley off morsels, with plenty of time to spare before nightfall, are over. This is great!

To piggyback (ha, ha) off of this, killing off all the Pig Men for once-easy Meat now means that you'll eventually run out of Pig Men... and attract a Krampus or three while you're at it. This also makes Pig Skins and Football Helmets much harder to get, meaning that the choice of wearing a Log Suit for armor vs. a Backpack for storage is once again a choice, and for longer peroids of time. Again, great!

Krampus attacking chests is brilliant and deters making uber-bases with 12 chests stuffed full of everything under the sun. Get out there! Explore! Make a number of smaller camps, each one containing the resources you can get nearby! Make some Bee Mines or Darts to keep Krampus at bay! Become a dedicated Farmer with lots of Turbo Plots so he rarely appears at all! With this update there are a lot more options and strategies, each with their own risks and rewards:

1) The Hunter. Trap those rabbits and birds, kill those pig men, stab that tallbird and take his egg. You have a Log Suit and a Spear, you can deal with Krampus when he shows up. Maybe you can loot the looter and take his bag next time!

2) The Farmer. Live off of Berries and Carrots and the occasional Rabbit that you can hunt down and kill with no traps. Your goal is to set up shop near a herd of Beefalo and churn out the Turbo Plots, then burn down a forest so you can live from your Crock Pot. What's a Krampus, anyway? I haven't seen one, and I'm doing just fine.

3) The Nomad. Has 4 "bases", each with a chest or two containing the local resources and a Fire Pit. Travels from camp to camp - or from a camp into the unknown and back - each day, collecting what he can and hunting when needed. Has the occasional plot of replanted Berry Bushes or a Farm or two at each camp to keep the food reserves up. And when Krampus shows up, it's only a small part of his total hoard that's in danger of being stolen.

Those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head; I'm sure there are others. I'm loving it so far!

TL;DR version: Update is solid, Krampus makes you reconsider your habitual or tried-and-true survival methods, every playstyle has more challenges, and the game is more difficult. Difficult means it's harder to hit the content wall, which is a good thing for long-term play.

You forgot the bestest :D of all the types.

4) The Gamebreaker. Builds tree walls to block mobs, uses piles of backpacks instead of chests to avoid Krampus. Lol

I don't get why we need Krampus as a pushback to killing animals when theres a much easier solution that's more in line with survival. Just make rabbits and birds more rare as you kill them, its simple logic, less rabbits existing means less rabbits breeding thus less rabbits availible to be hunted. E.g. Instead make it everytime you kill a rabbit lower the spawn rate of the rabbits by say 1%, and everyday you don't kill a rabbit increase it by 1%, a person who kills tons of rabbits will have to move on because the enviroment wouldn't sustain them, there would be no need for a silly thief mob.

Currently prototyping some new Krampus defenses.

First is too have a chest/item pile inbetween the hunting grounds, or on the bridge between were your coming from and your main base. Krampus seems to spawn when you reach the first chest or a dropped item, so he spawns in a worthless place and just runs off.

Second, is a wall of chests (use that wall of pine trees!). Krampus doesn't seem to be able to choose between chests, he just seems to go for the first he's closest to when he spawns. I'm currently putting a big square block of empty chests around the filled chests and it seems to be working. He keeps destroying a empty chest of the outer ring and retreating leaving the center untouched.

With the hotfix from today, you should be able to distract Krampii from your chests by leaving small stacks of near-worthless items laying about (Pinecones come to mind, or Cut Grass). Just use Control-click and leave small stacks of 1-3 laying all over the place, then stab the crap out of him while he scurries from worthless bait item to worthless bait item.

Currently prototyping some new Krampus defenses.

First is too have a chest/item pile inbetween the hunting grounds, or on the bridge between were your coming from and your main base. Krampus seems to spawn when you reach the first chest or a dropped item, so he spawns in a worthless place and just runs off.

Second, is a wall of chests (use that wall of pine trees!). Krampus doesn't seem to be able to choose between chests, he just seems to go for the first he's closest to when he spawns. I'm currently putting a big square block of empty chests around the filled chests and it seems to be working. He keeps destroying a empty chest of the outer ring and retreating leaving the center untouched.

Tests have confirmed repeated success, the Krampus Defense mk2: Chest Cube Matrix shall now become standard issue. :D