Night in Don't Starve Togerher  

78 members have voted

1. 1. How should this problem be solved?

• Let them die!
    • Don't allow joining at night.
    • Have the Night Monster not affect a player on their first night.
    • Have spawn areas have an infinitely burning fire.
    • Give the player a torch or other when they start.
    • Other (Specify what below.)
    • Have players spawn near each other.
    • Have players spectate at night, and spawn when day comes.
  2. 2. If players spawn near each other, how should exploitation be prevented?

• Have players drop their things when they quit.
    • Have players only teleport the first time they join the server.
    • Other (Specify what below.)

Ah I see. You didn't say that originally. In that case I can agree with you on a random spawn point.

The spectator mode seems pointless to me when spawning in. Only because if you could spectate that means you can essentially avoid any harm and choose when to spawn. Any clarification on that from you or anyone else would be great.

The player could just simply wait in a spectator mode until the day comes, then the character will spawn (random location if this is the first time playing on the server, last location if he / she has already played on that server.)

It could only be used on a game where there's no pvp of course, and instead of having the map revealed and freely roaming around to see where are the resources, you could follow your friends's characters on your screen and have the same vision as them (except when they enter the crafting menu, or open a chest for example).

I don't know if you saw that on the second page, so I quoted myself.

@Rononon, @Skwisgaar, and @J20hawkz I guess I'll add spectating as an option. Btw, about Skwisgaar's quote, I don't really think players should spectate the second, third, fourth, etc. time they join the server.

So what do people do then?

As of now there isn't a clear solution to rejoining a game you left off.

If I add to my suggestion. I said player's should spawn on top of other players. I can see how this can be exploited if you are In a tough situation and you quit just to join someone who is safe.

So how about when we quit we leave behind a Meat effigy. This meat effigy can't be destroyed by anyone. When we log back in, we are inside out meat effigy. A timer counts down from 10 seconds. Within those 10 seconds we can craft anything we have resources for. So if it is dark you can craft a torch or camp fire or whatever. As soon as the 10 seconds are up you are released from your meat effigy and can go about your business.

What do you think?

If I add to my suggestion. I said player's should spawn on top of other players. I can see how this can be exploited if you are In a tough situation and you quit just to join someone who is safe.

So how about when we quit we leave behind a Meat effigy. This meat effigy can't be destroyed by anyone. When we log back in, we are inside out meat effigy. A timer counts down from 10 seconds. Within those 10 seconds we can craft anything we have resources for. So if it is dark you can craft a torch or camp fire or whatever. As soon as the 10 seconds are up you are released from your meat effigy and can go about your business.

What do you think?

That's a really good idea as well in my opinion, it's just a matter of what the Klei crew can do mechanic wise, I'll leave it up to them, thanks for the discussions guys.

What do you think?

Here's my suggestion: People spawn in a random place in the world when they start, just like in Singleplayer, after spectating if it was night. Then, when they rejoin after quitting, they're in the same place they were when they quit. If they don't have the materials to build a torch in time, tough luck. Your ten seconds idea is fine, but a person can craft a torch before the Grue/Charlie/The Night Monster kills them.

About your meat effigy idea, it's basically the same as my idea, except for the fact that any other players can see where the other person is going to come back. Spawn killing is easily possible for that.

Here's my suggestion: People spawn in a random place in the world when they start, just like in Singleplayer, after spectating if it was night. Then, when they rejoin after quitting, they're in the same place they were when they quit. If they don't have the materials to build a torch in time, tough luck. Your ten seconds idea is fine, but a person can craft a torch before the Grue/Charlie/The Night Monster kills them.

About your meat effigy idea, it's basically the same as my idea, except for the fact that any other players can see where the other person is going to come back. Spawn killing is easily possible for that.

Ok here is my final suggestion based on what everyone has said so far. This is based on the fact we are all working together. No pvp.

When we start a new game for the first time in Don't Starve Together all players are spawned in random parts of the map. We must find each other basically (incorporates the loneliness feeling we have in Don't Starve with the fear of not being able to find someone). This idea is debatable and I can understand why some may not want this.

Now the main part. At any time when we decide to quit the game, we press ESC then click Save and Quit or what ever the process is for quitting (not important). As soon as we leave the game, we instantly leave behind an indestructible Meat Effigy in the exact place we quit. Nothing can destroy it.

Now regardless of what time or what situation we are about to rejoin our game in, we will rejoin our game by spawning directly inside the Meat Effigy we left behind when we quit. As soon as our game loads (there will definitely be a loading screen due to internet server connection etc...) a timer is triggered counting down from 10 seconds. Within this time we are inside the Meat Effigy and are basically indestructible/immune to any form of damage or whatever the world of Don’t Starve throws at us. As soon as the 10 seconds are over we break free, we can also break free at any time within the 10 seconds by pressing any of the WASD keys.

So if it's night we can craft a torch or camp fire and hover it over a place to craft (green placement icon) once we are outside the Meat Effigy we can place the camp fire. Or as soon as we craft it we break free. Again this is debatable.

Ok here is my final suggestion based on what everyone has said so far. This is based on the fact we are all working together. No pvp.

When we start a new game for the first time in Don't Starve Together all players are spawned in random parts of the map. We must find each other basically (incorporates the loneliness feeling we have in Don't Starve with the fear of not being able to find someone). This idea is debatable and I can understand why some may not want this.

Now the main part. At any time when we decide to quit the game, we press ESC then click Save and Quit or what ever the process is for quitting (not important). As soon as we leave the game, we instantly leave behind an indestructible Meat Effigy in the exact place we quit. Nothing can destroy it.

Now regardless of what time or what situation we are about to rejoin our game in, we will rejoin our game by spawning directly inside the Meat Effigy we left behind when we quit. As soon as our game loads (there will definitely be a loading screen due to internet server connection etc...) a timer is triggered counting down from 10 seconds. Within this time we are inside the Meat Effigy and are basically indestructible/immune to any form of damage or whatever the world of Don’t Starve throws at us. As soon as the 10 seconds are over we break free, we can also break free at any time within the 10 seconds by pressing any of the WASD keys.

So if it's night we can craft a torch or camp fire and hover it over a place to craft (green placement icon) once we are outside the Meat Effigy we can place the camp fire. Or as soon as we craft it we break free. Again this is debatable.

"we instantly leave behind an indestructible Meat Effigy in the exact place we quit. Nothing can destroy it."

Why? Why does there have to be something marking your location?

"a timer is triggered counting down from 10 seconds. Within this time we are inside the Meat Effigy and are basically indestructible/immune to any form of damage or whatever the world of Don’t Starve throws at us."

Also, why? Why do we need this either? You can make a torch in the time that it's dark, it's not like Charlie attacks you the second you're in blackness.

"we instantly leave behind an indestructible Meat Effigy in the exact place we quit. Nothing can destroy it."

Why? Why does there have to be something marking your location?

"a timer is triggered counting down from 10 seconds. Within this time we are inside the Meat Effigy and are basically indestructible/immune to any form of damage or whatever the world of Don’t Starve throws at us."

Also, why? Why do we need this either? You can make a torch in the time that it's dark, it's not like Charlie attacks you the second you're in blackness.

Why shouldn't there be something marking your location? What are you fearful of? My suggestion is based on everyone working together, no PVP. Everyone is on the same team. So no one can kill you. I've just added in the indestructible part so a team member can't accidentally set my Spawn Meat Effigy on fire or hammer it by mistake.

So are you telling me you have never manically tried to make a light as it went dark? Maybe you have been able to quickly get to the craft tab find a torch or camp fire then click it and craft it all in a few seconds without taking and damage in the night. Some people won't be able to that, especially new players. So you're saying if someone new or not fast enough logs back into the game and it's night, they better smarten up or they'll be dead instantly? By allowing a time frame of "protection" in the meat effigy you are given a chance to plan for what ever situation you are in.

Remember just because you left the game doesn't mean the game isn't carrying on if others are still playing. For all you know a Deerclops or a Clockwork Rook could try and destroy your Meat Effigy. Then what? You won't be able to spawn back. So obviously players need to know where your spawn spot is so they can prevent mobs gathering around it, and definitely have it indestructible so larger boss monsters can't destroy it.

Why shouldn't there be something marking your location? What are you fearful of? My suggestion is based on everyone working together, no PVP. Everyone is on the same team. So no one can kill you. I've just added in the indestructible part so a team member can't accidentally set my Spawn Meat Effigy on fire or hammer it by mistake.

So are you telling me you have never manically tried to make a light as it went dark? Maybe you have been able to quickly get to the craft tab find a torch or camp fire then click it and craft it all in a few seconds without taking and damage in the night. Some people won't be able to that, especially new players. So you're saying if someone new or not fast enough logs back into the game and it's night, they better smarten up or they'll be dead instantly? By allowing a time frame of "protection" in the meat effigy you are given a chance to plan for what ever situation you are in.

Remember just because you left the game doesn't mean the game isn't carrying on if others are still playing. For all you know a Deerclops or a Clockwork Rook could try and destroy your Meat Effigy. Then what? You won't be able to spawn back. So obviously players need to know where your spawn spot is so they can prevent mobs gathering around it, and definitely have it indestructible so larger boss monsters can't destroy it.

The thing is, they won't be doing that in the first day/night, and anyway it's no different than the regular game. Say I'm not watching the clock, and it becomes night. I don't get 10 seconds of protection. I once survived an entire night jumping from one group of fireflies to another. And also, I'm asking you why you want the meat effigy at all. If I was another player, and you left the game, I wouldn't particularly care if monsters gathered around it. I would just take your stuff after they killed you. No offense to you in particular, though; I would do that to anyone who wasn't a close friend.

The thing is, they won't be doing that in the first day/night, and anyway it's no different than the regular game. Say I'm not watching the clock, and it becomes night. I don't get 10 seconds of protection.

Obviously. You're fully aware that night is coming as you're currently playing, so mentally you are prepared. If someone is jumping back into the game they need a period of immunity to gather themselves. It's silly if we are spawned back into the game and something starts attacking us or its dark. People won't ever want to quit playing in fear that if they do and they rejoin they may lose a chunk of health.

I once survived an entire night jumping from one group of fireflies to another. And also, I'm asking you why you want the meat effigy at all. If I was another player, and you left the game, I wouldn't particularly care if monsters gathered around it. I would just take your stuff after they killed you. No offense to you in particular, though; I would do that to anyone who wasn't a close friend.

Well if a meat effigy is spawned all your stuff is protected and I won't have any fear that a monster or a player has taken all my stuff.

Obviously. You're fully aware that night is coming as you're currently playing, so mentally you are prepared. If someone is jumping back into the game they need a period of immunity to gather themselves. It's silly if we are spawned back into the game and something starts attacking us or its dark. People won't ever want to quit playing in fear that if they do and they rejoin they may lose a chunk of health.

Well if a meat effigy is spawned all your stuff is protected and I won't have any fear that a monster or a player has taken all my stuff.

Why? Why do they need time to gather themselves? If I slept through the night in singleplayer, and when I woke up, hounds were attacking, I would have no time to gather myself. Why do you feel the need to babysit the player, like they can't do anything for themselves? They're not five. Seriously, they don't even have anything like that in Minecraft. I thought Don't Starve was supposed to be harder than Minecraft.

And why do you assume that your stuff isn't protected when there isn't a meat effigy?

Why? Why do they need time to gather themselves? If I slept through the night in singleplayer, and when I woke up, hounds were attacking, I would have no time to gather myself. Why do you feel the need to babysit the player, like they can't do anything for themselves? They're not five. Seriously, they don't even have anything like that in Minecraft. I thought Don't Starve was supposed to be harder than Minecraft.

And why do you assume that your stuff isn't protected when there isn't a meat effigy?

Everything you do WHILE you are playing is choice. If you went to sleep and hounds started attacking, it's your fault you went to sleep and woke to an attack. You should have known roughly that a hound attack is due any time now if you hadn't had an attack in the last few days. Even if you didn't know, it was still YOU who made that choice to do what ever you did. It's a risk and that's what Don't Starve is all about, I completely agree.

Repeating myself on purpose here because this is the point I'm making with this suggestion. What you have to realise is everything YOU do WHILE PLAYING Don't Starve is YOUR choice and you either suffer or gain from it.

Even in singleplayer when you load the game you are never starting in such a situation that may get you killed. You save and quit in a safe spot and end the game there. I doubt anyone will leave the game to start again getting hit by some tentacles, or attacked by a Deerclops or other hostile monsters. We either finish them off or if we don't have time, we run away to a safe distance to save and quit and prepare ourselves for when we come back. When we do come back to play our save file, we mentally know we were being attacked by something so it's no surprise.

In multiplayer your game is still RUNNING while you are away because others are STILL PLAYING (I've said this quite a few times now). So if you saved and quit in a certain spot where everything was clear, you could be spawning back into a group of hostile monsters left by another player (not intentionally). This is NOT your choice, you were put in that situation completely out of your control. Just imagine in singleplayer if everytime you loaded your game you would get instantly attacked by some monsters. Just imagine in singleplayer you saved and quit then the next day you logged back on and a Varg was spawning hounds all around you. Goodbye save.

I'm not under the impression my stuff will be stolen or lost when I log out. Leaving in DST will be the same as leaving in DS with respect to your inventory. Sorry about that. I mixed the two up (inventory and player stats) when describing how the Meat Effigy will be indestructible.

Everything you do WHILE you are playing is choice. If you went to sleep and hounds started attacking, it's your fault you went to sleep and woke to an attack. You should have known roughly that a hound attack is due any time now if you hadn't had an attack in the last few days. Even if you didn't know, it was still YOU who made that choice to do what ever you did. It's a risk and that's what Don't Starve is all about, I completely agree.

Repeating myself on purpose here because this is the point I'm making with this suggestion. What you have to realise is everything YOU do WHILE PLAYING Don't Starve is YOUR choice and you either suffer or gain from it.

Even in singleplayer when you load the game you are never starting in such a situation that may get you killed. You save and quit in a safe spot and end the game there. I doubt anyone will leave the game to start again getting hit by some tentacles, or attacked by a Deerclops or other hostile monsters. We either finish them off or if we don't have time, we run away to a safe distance to save and quit and prepare ourselves for when we come back. When we do come back to play our save file, we mentally know we were being attacked by something so it's no surprise.

In multiplayer your game is still RUNNING while you are away because others are STILL PLAYING (I've said this quite a few times now). So if you saved and quit in a certain spot where everything was clear, you could be spawning back into a group of hostile monsters left by another player (not intentionally). This is NOT your choice, you were put in that situation completely out of your control. Just imagine in singleplayer if everytime you loaded your game you would get instantly attacked by some monsters. Just imagine in singleplayer you saved and quit then the next day you logged back on and a Varg was spawning hounds all around you. Goodbye save.

I'm not under the impression my stuff will be stolen or lost when I log out. Leaving in DST will be the same as leaving in DS with respect to your inventory. Sorry about that. I mixed the two up (inventory and player stats) when describing how the Meat Effigy will be indestructible.

Here's an idea: When you leave the game, have a torch with you! There's literally no chance that a swarm of mobs will just happen to be by you when you come back.

Here's an idea: When you leave the game, have a torch with you! There's literally no chance that a swarm of mobs will just happen to be by you when you come back.

Of course there is a chance. If you expect everyone to remember to quit the game with a torch in hand, your idea is desperately flawed.

If we go by what you're suggesting, what if you rejoin your friends and they are in the middle of a Bearger attack in the same area you quit and now spawned in? Are you saying that if we aren't quick enough to get out of the way in that moment in time when we spawn in, we should die? Please explain.

Of course there is a chance. If you expect everyone to remember to quit the game with a torch in hand, your idea is desperately flawed.

If we go by what you're suggesting, what if you rejoin your friends and they are in the middle of a Bearger attack in the same area you quit and now spawned in? Are you saying that if we aren't quick enough to get out of the way in that moment in time when we spawn in, we should die? Please explain.

Yes, Don't Starve is a game where you die and learn from your mistakes. An idea to take that out of the multiplayer is fundamentally flawed. And besides, something like that happening is extremely unlikely. I don't expect them to remember, by the way. I expect them to die, and learn to have a torch with them at all times. Don't Starve is an unfair game, where things are out of your control. Deal with it.

Yes, Don't Starve is a game where you die and learn from your mistakes. An idea to take that out of the multiplayer is fundamentally flawed. And besides, something like that happening is extremely unlikely. I don't expect them to remember, by the way. I expect them to die, and learn to have a torch with them at all times. Don't Starve is an unfair game, where things are out of your control. Deal with it.

Are things out of control when you quit Don't Starve singleplayer? Do you have to always have a torch ready as soon as you log back into the game?

Often, yes.

Your kidding with me right? So in Don't Starve singleplayer you often have to start the game immediately in a tough situation? Or in a situation that if you did not have a torch you would instantly die or take some damage?

About the torch option, what if it's winter? Nighttime is significantly harder and by then the materials to make another torch may not even be present. Therefore, the torch only is useful in like autumn and summer.

Also, apologies I skimmed the thread briefly so if someone else has said this then my bad.

About the torch option, what if it's winter? Nighttime is significantly harder and by then the materials to make another torch may not even be present. Therefore, the torch only is useful in like autumn and summer.

Also, apologies I skimmed the thread briefly so if someone else has said this then my bad.

The option says a torch or something similar. It doesn't have to be a torch.

Archived