Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

PinkiePieCyborg

"The Game Is Afoot" is broken

Hello Klei! I posted a discussion on the Don't Starve community hub reporting the bugs and balance of this chapter http://steamcommunity.com/app/219740/discussions/0/522729358636860391/.
A copy paste from it:
"-After I have installed RoG the days in this chapters don't get longer after the 10th day, and it is winter untill the 12th day.

-The spider bridge is insanely hard as there are more than 2-3 tier 3 spider dens on the start of the bridge, and even more when you continue.

-Deerclops NEVER spawns.

-I always have the same 4 bridges (spider, tallbird, clockwork and tentacle). Three of the four lead to things, and the fourth one leads to the wooden thing. I can never find the fourth thing, even if I search for a wormhole!

As stated by Barbarian I sometimes might find more than one thing on one bridge, so I will be striking through this!

I have completed Archipelago a dozen times, A Cold Reception and The King Of Winter around 5 times each, but never completed this level! Can Klei bugfix it and balance it a bit? I know Adventure mode should be hard and all, but this is really unplayable!

EDIT: While I always try to beat Adventure mode with Wilson, I tried playing this chapter with Webber. I made it through the spider bridge just fine, but again, I could not find the fourth thing."

Luxurious195 confirmed my bugs except one thing, which he stated here:
"You are right. I can confirm everything you reported. Only thing different is that i managed to find all 4 things. 1 island part had the Teleportato, 1 part had nothing on it and 2 other parts had 2 things on it respectivly. Only other thing i noticed is a major increase in spider population on that chapter only. There were more than 300 spider dens scatered across the island. I know it should be hard, but 300+ is just pushing it, so i think that's a bug as well."
He also told me to post this here in hopes that you will read it. Please do try to fix this and balance it, I've been having a great time playing Adventure Mode every time until I get to this chapter :(

Thanks in advance, and stay awesome Klei!

EDIT:A big thanks to J20Hawkz for removing the black lines that I copy pasted from steam, now it's readable!

TheG4MER14    45

I pretty much disagree with this post. And I don't believe that any of this is bugs or technical issues.

1:Its supposed to be this way.

2:Spider bridge is not hard.

3:Deerclops has spawned every time i've ever played this level (I played it twice just last week)

4:This is the way the level is supposed to be designed. And the 4th thing is out there, you just didn't find it.

Tamir    1,237

The spider bridge is insanely hard as there are more than 2-3 tier 3 spider dens on the start of the bridge, and even more when you continue.

Definitely not. I beat those easily on my first try last year.

Deerclops NEVER spawns.

Sometimes he spawns, sometimes he doesn't. Happens to me as well.

I always have the same 4 bridges (spider, tallbird, clockwork and tentacle). Three of the four lead to things, and the fourth one leads to the wooden thing. I can never find the fourth thing, even if I search for a wormhole!

Look harder. This is not a bug.

I have completed Archipelago a dozen times, A Cold Reception and The King Of Winter around 5 times each, but never completed this level! Can Klei bugfix it and balance it a bit? I know Adventure mode should be hard and all, but this is really unplayable!

Are you kidding? That map is heavens, it's a great opportunity to restock and relax. Now and then you gear up and run past those obstacles, that's all you have to do.

EDIT: While I always try to beat Adventure mode with Wilson, I tried playing this chapter with Webber. I made it through the spider bridge just fine, but again, I could not find the fourth thing."

Look harder again. It's easy to run past those bridges.

I pretty much disagree with this post. And I don't believe that any of this is bugs or technical issues.

1:Its supposed to be this way.

2:Spider bridge is not hard.

3:Deerclops has spawned every time i've ever played this level (I played it twice just last week)

4:This is the way the level is supposed to be designed. And the 4th thing is out there, you just didn't find it.

Try playing it with the latest version and with RoG enabled. I remember playing on Vanilla and having the day-night cycle back at normal and being endless summer after day 10, and the spider bridge only had around 5 spider nests. Now It's insanely hard and the seasons/days are broken :(

Definitely not. I beat those easily on my first try last year.

Sometimes he spawns, sometimes he doesn't. Happens to me as well.

Look harder. This is not a bug.

Are you kidding? That map is heavens, it's a great opportunity to restock and relax. Now and then you gear up and run past those obstacles, that's all you have to do.

Look harder again. It's easy to run past those bridges.

Do you have RoG? Can you load up a world and try to get The Game Is Afoot? Since when I try to multiquote it sends me to the detailed reply page, so I'll just put what I said from the last reply.

"I remember playing on Vanilla and having the day-night cycle back at normal and being endless summer after day 10, and the spider bridge only had around 5 spider nests. Now It's insanely hard and the seasons/days are broken :("

Barbarian    32

I also noticed the day-night cycle in The Game is Afoot seems really odd since RoG.   Even after Winter ends the day remains at only 1 or 2 segments, so bunnies don't come out and nothing grows.   I didn't even get far enough to check out the other bridges apart from the one with the tallbirds.

I had hoped that the last patch would fix this but I don't believe it did.

As for the Things, I always used to find more than one across some land bridges, with additional land bridges to cross further on, and none across others, so I'm not convinced this is a bug.

With the spider dens, before RoG I always used to run up and plant pinecones if possible, then light the nearest one once it's grown a bit - usually this would clear a bit of a path, and with a few traps in case of emergencies it was possible to get past.   Again I can't confirm if this still works with RoG, since I haven't managed to get this far (playing with Wigfrid - I may retry with Wilson who might do a bit better since he has a more varied diet).

I also noticed the day-night cycle in The Game is Afoot seems really odd since RoG.   Even after Winter ends the day remains at only 1 or 2 segments, so bunnies don't come out and nothing grows.   I didn't even get far enough to check out the other bridges apart from the one with the tallbirds.

I had hoped that the last patch would fix this but I don't believe it did.

As for the Things, I always used to find more than one across some land bridges, with additional land bridges to cross further on, and none across others, so I'm not convinced this is a bug.

With the spider dens, before RoG I always used to run up and plant pinecones if possible, then light the nearest one once it's grown a bit - usually this would clear a bit of a path, and with a few traps in case of emergencies it was possible to get past.   Again I can't confirm if this still works with RoG, since I haven't managed to get this far (playing with Wigfrid - I may retry with Wilson who might do a bit better since he has a more varied diet).

You might be right, I remember finding nothing on a tentacle bridge once. Oh, and I planted some grass and berry bushes near the spider dens and they didn't lit on fire, don't know why. I haven't tried a pinecone, so if you can test that it works in RoG please tell me how to do it!

orian34    534

...the game is afoot is a wanted map, cause there is others that are harder... why are you complaining...

...the game is afoot is a wanted map, cause there is others that are harder... why are you complaining...

The Game Is Afoot is very easy on vanilla, but try playing it on RoG. I see most people posting haven't played adventure mode in a long time, so can you please try doing this with RoG? The day/night cycle, and the seasons are broken. And the spider bridge makes too much spider dens!

orian34    534

i have do it before even the "fix" of the adventure mod... even with the endless summer in two worlds/darkness

JYM    33

i have do it before even the "fix" of the adventure mod... even with the endless summer in two worlds/darkness

I also did it before the fix, and i think that the game is afoot is one of the easy worlds of adventure mode.

I also did it before the fix, and i think that the game is afoot is one of the easy worlds of adventure mode.

Can you please try to play it now? Everyone who posts here said they played adventure mode a bit before, but I noticed this happened few updates ago. Go make a world and spawn Maxwell's door until you get The Game Is Afoot. I yestrday took my vanilla Wilson and my RoG webber on The Game Is Afoot. I finished the vanilla just fine and easy, but I died with webber because of the day always being dusk. If I played with anyone else I would have gotten killed by spiders because of the broken spawn rate. Someone has already confirmed what I'm saying, so if you don't believe me try it for yourself.

orian34    534

if we don't believe what? I just told you that we made it BEFORE the "fix"!!! It was even harder that when you do it!

JYM    33

I just did it today with Wilson. It was my first world, so I didn't have anything from a previous world. Although, it was the easiest "The Game is Afoot" that even play. The first day, I found Chester almost nest to me, a lot of buffaloes, and a set piece of one guardian pig with 10-15 berry bushes.

I just did it today with Wilson. It was my first world, so I didn't have anything from a previous world. Although, it was the easiest "The Game is Afoot" that even play. The first day, I found Chester almost nest to me, a lot of buffaloes, and a set piece of one guardian pig with 10-15 berry bushes.

When you say you did it, you mean you finished it? Can you tell me how you beat the spider bridge and the constant sanity loss?

JYM    33

When you say you did it, you mean you finished it? Can you tell me how you beat the spider bridge and the constant sanity loss?

The spider bridge is easy. This time I used a fire staff, but you can just walk through it. You can pass even without a walking cane; the spiders scream, and then stop a second before attack. If you walk on edge of the ocean, then the web from the spider den won't slow you down.

Against the constant sanity loss are numerous strategies. The puffy vest and top hat combo won't increase you sanity, but it will stop the draining of sanity when you are warming your body and eating nest to a fire. Also the food will restore some sanity, jerky restore 15. Collecting flowers restore 5 sanity each one. If you are desperate for some sanity, then a tent restore 50 sanity. Every thing that you prototype restore 15 sanity. Finally, the best option for me is  the "Tam o' Shanter"; It restores a lot of sanity. I usually kill MacTusk evey 3 days, until they give one Tam and a Walrus Tusk.

The spider bridge is easy. This time I used a fire staff, but you can just walk through it. You can pass even without a walking cane; the spiders scream, and then stop a second before attack. If you walk on edge of the ocean, then the web from the spider den won't slow you down.

Against the constant sanity loss are numerous strategies. The puffy vest and top hat combo won't increase you sanity, but it will stop the draining of sanity when you are warming your body and eating nest to a fire. Also the food will restore some sanity, jerky restore 15. Collecting flowers restore 5 sanity each one. If you are desperate for some sanity, then a tent restore 50 sanity. Every thing that you prototype restore 15 sanity. Finally, the best option for me is  the "Tam o' Shanter"; It restores a lot of sanity. I usually kill MacTusk evey 3 days, until they give one Tam and a Walrus Tusk.

Thanks for the Tent and Spider bridge, I'll do it if I get it as my fourth chapter after I finish two worlds!

XirmiX    754

I don't even get what "The game is a foot" means and I don't get where it's going with that either. I get the point of the other worlds but what's the special feature for The game is a foot?

Battal    9,883

I don't even get what "The game is a foot" means and I don't get where it's going with that either. I get the point of the other worlds but what's the special feature for The game is a foot?

The Game is Afoot is life itself.