Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

Laserist

In-game Streaming fps drop and others

Laserist    1

Hi Klei guys,

Personally I stream for over 2 years various games and nowadays I try to stream DS and gave a shot to in-game streaming. With the last patch, streaming becomes stable but in-game fps drop drastically.

My system is well enough to play demanding games at high quality while streaming(I can stream DS with OBS quite nicely without any fps drop). I know it is still in beta phase but there is something heavily dragging back the game while streaming. Also we have so limited options to adjust the quality(espceially encoding setting which may create the issue), it is impossible to use in-game streaming right now.

In-game streaming is a very new and awesome concept, I'd like to see it works.

I can give any required information to track the issue if necessary.

Thanks a lot!

MarkL    536

Thanks for the info Laserist!

I'm sorry to see the drastic performance issues you are experiencing.  I'll be looking into this promptly.

What operating system are you using?

MarkL    536

Great, thanks for all the info.  I'll take a look into this and see what I can come up with.

FYI, in the meantime you can dramatically improve your Don't Starve streaming performance by using the default settings for these options:

Frame Rate: 10

Smooth Scaling: Disabled

Laserist    1

Great, thanks for all the info.  I'll take a look into this and see what I can come up with.

FYI, in the meantime you can dramatically improve your Don't Starve streaming performance by using the default settings for these options:

Frame Rate: 10

Smooth Scaling: Disabled

Hey MarkL,

I hope you are doing well.

Disabling Smooth Scaling makes wonders in terms of in-game fps, it is playable now. Webcam still off.

Currently there are 2 issues keep me from using in-game stream, let me explain.

Low Frame rate streaming makes watching very unpleasant, it looks like a slide show rather than watching a proper game. Even with 30 fps I feel like it is not smooth enough to watch. I'll dig this later by comparing OBS with the in-game tool to see if there are any difference in same fps(30).

Second point is down scaling. Unless you have a very decent bandwidth and processing power, streaming full 1080p pushes the streaming to the limits. Add the average bandwidth limitation of watchers to the mix, it may not be worthy to stream at full. I don't know how much processing power you save or lost by down scaling but it should relax the encoding procedure since you encode less amount of data in the end. Maybe 10 years from now on it might not be an issue, but currently is.

I agree, a huge percentage of the streamers use basic functions of streaming tools. Putting down scaling and set the fps limit to 120 or 60 max would make the in-game tool really useful.

Otherwise 3rd party tools seem more efficient in terms of optimization and the tool only targets "beginner" streamers in the end.

Don't get me wrong, just trying to express my humble opinion. I'd love to see more people use in game streaming.

See you.

MarkL    536

Hey Laserist!

Totally, our goal is to make integrated streaming as simple to use as possible.   I think the settings we expose right now make it very easy to make the stream unusable.   I'll look at how we can reduce this set of options (or automatically select them).  I think we might still have performance issues if the stream is choppy at 30fps.   I'll make sure to post in the forums when we have a patch for these two issues.

Cheers,

-Mark