Klei Forums Rpg style game

TRENTOMINOUS

then people went off-topic

No, Rabbitfist... you can't blame off-topic posts so easily this time. The RPG project itself, from the beginning, was very clear it wasn't going to go anywhere. Everyone kept going "We need to work on this!" and "We should focus on this!", but nobody actually tried working on said things. Too many ideas conflicted, and instead of agreeing on one thing, everyone just posted what they wanted. Snob made art, yes, but he's a busy person, and probably can't make all the art in the game. I'm really not sure how to put this, but, I knew it was doomed from the start.

Sometimes, when a thread is dead, you should just let the off-topic posts in. People can just, you know, chat, and bringing up the fact said posts are off-topic will just cause problems :p

No, Rabbitfist... you can't blame off-topic posts so easily this time. The RPG project itself, from the beginning, was very clear it wasn't going to go anywhere. Everyone kept going "We need to work on this!" and "We should focus on this!", but nobody actually tried working on said things. Too many ideas conflicted, and instead of agreeing on one thing, everyone just posted what they wanted. Snob made art, yes, but he's a busy person, and probably can't make all the art in the game. I'm really not sure how to put this, but, I knew it was doomed from the start.

Sometimes, when a thread is dead, you should just let the off-topic posts in. People can just, you know, chat, and bringing up the fact said posts are off-topic will just cause problems :razz:

probably i should stop yelling "stop derailing" around and just accept the fact only moderators and joe can

do something against it.

Sometimes, when a thread is dead, you should just let the off-topic posts in. People can just, you know, chat, and bringing up the fact said posts are off-topic will just cause problems :razz:

Now that things are pretty much done, I can stop holding myself back from posting an article I've been wanting to since page one. This is from an artist's point of view, but it still heavily relates.

http://www.blenderguru.com/podcasts/podcast-why-i-refuse-all-community-projects/#.U-dxg_ldX3Q

6 reasons Why Artists Hate Community Projects

1. There’s a 99% chance it’ll never launch – I can recall probably a thousand threads asking to join community projects, and zero (0) finished results. The truth is that most community projects fizzle out in the first few months. As the initial motivation wears off, reality sets in and most artists throw in the towel.
  2. You haven’t even started - Come on! You want a complete stranger to sign on for X number of hours, but you haven’t even started yet? At least show some sketches, a finished script or storyboard!
  3. We’re not short on ideas – Most artists aren’t twiddling their thumbs trying to think of their next idea. I have about a hundred “gunna do” projects already. And that list is constantly growing. A community project is simply an “idea”.
  4. We don’t know you – If you were approached by a stranger on the street who asked you to volunteer help build his house over the next few months, would you? What about a close friend? If you already have a strong reputation and report with the community, then maybe somebody will jump on board. But if you’re new, then no.
  5. There’s no pay – …or only a promise to pay on completion (see point 1). I know this should only apply to commercial projects, but since most community projects plan for “worldwide success”, then someone is getting paid.
  6. No, it won’t look good on our portfolio – And even if it did, not many artists would want to credit some of that glory to someone else’s idea (see point 3).

Now that things are pretty much done, I can stop holding myself back from posting an article I've been wanting to since page one. This is from an artist's point of view, but it still heavily relates.

http://www.blenderguru.com/podcasts/podcast-why-i-refuse-all-community-projects/#.U-dxg_ldX3Q

You're forgetting one reason why this project will never work

I started it

It's like the golden hammys all over again!

You're forgetting one reason why this project will never work

I started it

It's like the golden hammys all over again!

Because the damn hammys were biased, to say the least. Plus it seems that almost, if not all these "projects" involved around a few Klei forum members are bound to fail. What is the purpose other than an ego boost for the ones involved anyways? :p

Plus wise post by Jbeetle.

Archived