Multiplayer: Punishment for hackers/cheaters

Serious question guys. I don't play public multiplayer games, so I don't understand the concerns about  "hacking" and "cheating". All that comes to mind is an over-abundance of mods and/or console commands. Is that what you're referring to, or something else?

Hacking/cheating is when you alter your game's client so that it sends information to the server telling it what to do. So if you wanted to move at hyper speed, even if the server doesn't have any mods installed you can still do so. People also often have god mode and massive damage hacks in games, but I highly doubt people in DST are going to be hacking much. The game is most likely going to be private servers, and if there are public servers then they won't be open for long due to people getting to rediculously high day counts and then new players are screwed from the hounds. So even if a hacker does show up, it's not like it's going to matter much. Just ban them from the server and move on with your life.

Read entire thread before judge. This is not about private servers.

The way you look at multiplayer is wrong.  You should not call people cheaters :) That person gave no indication that they want to cheat  .  Perma-band is an okay idea.  All I said was that private servers would be a good idea.  If you wanna risk it with public, go nuts.  Playing with private servers allows more fun, since you would be playing with friends. Klei will obviously have ways to report and ban players.  I just think that they should not be perma-band.  Maybe just band from that server.  If they are ever a cheater or hacker, with proof,  an administrator could freeze the account for a certain amount of time.  If it happens too many time, they might have to report to an administrator.

How the servers are gonna be, is still unknown. How the servers will be hosted is still unknown aswell. Other than the use of the developer console/somehow altering the MP files I cant see cheaters and hackers in DST. The developer console should be turned off in DST at all times with no ways to turn it on, there's no reason for it to be on. The MP files hopefully have some sorth of security, so you cannot access/alter anything that could harm other's experience.

Even if there's only gonna be private servers hosted by the players themselves, there's still bound to be public Steam groups to join with the intension to play with strangers, and that experience should be kept nice and clean from hacking filth. Besides playing with friends I'd like to play with random people aswell, for the reason being they will be unpredictable. Can I trust these strangers or should I stab them repeatedly untill they die, before they do the same to me? True wilderness survival with strangers, yes please :).

I guarantee there will not be public servers. That'd be far too expensive for an indie dev company like Klei, ESPECIALLY with no steady income from a subscription (or microtransactions, but those really wouldn't fit in here).

Exactly this. I believe it's our own responsibility to pick who and how we play with other people.

Public servers will probably be quite desolate if hackers/cheaters are left to freely roam though.

Public servers will be a cesspool anyway, because without extensive and unnecessary anti-griefing tools, griefers will ruin bases right and left.  There are no advantages to playing a game like Don't Starve with random strangers.

Serious question guys. I don't play public multiplayer games, so I don't understand the concerns about  "hacking" and "cheating". All that comes to mind is an over-abundance of mods and/or console commands. Is that what you're referring to, or something else?

Some people can alter the information they send back to the server, which can cause all sorts of problems.  One of the more common is a speed hack, where players can move much faster than they otherwise could by cheating (sometimes using an altered game client)

I guarantee there will not be public servers. That'd be far too expensive for an indie dev company like Klei, ESPECIALLY with no steady income from a subscription (or microtransactions, but those really wouldn't fit in here).

When people are talking about public servers, I believe they are talking about servers that appear in a server list without a password, not servers that Klei is hosting.

Who the host is matters less than who can connect to the server.

When people are talking about public servers, I believe they are talking about servers that appear in a server list without a password, not servers that Klei is hosting.

Who the host is matters less than who can connect to the server.

You don't even need to worry about hackers in this case. Griefers are an even bigger issue.

Borderlands 2 is almost nothing but modders/hacker/cheaters etc... but it's still fun because it's not competitive. 

Competitive is the operative word when considering anti-cheat measures. Planetside 2 is my main game, they have to work overtime making sure they're in competition with aimbots and the like, but if I were to have a random player join my game and fill up the entire world with piles of rot I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

Just don't get overly attached to a world you play in multi-player. Those things are sandcastles at best.

Yeah i have played other games with multiplayer etc and may i say there are so many hackers / cheaters. Being so used to Dont Starve's nice and friendly community i forgot all about hackers / cheaters. But then i saw this and realized this guys got a point. A really good point. 

I know this sounds like a dumb question to ask, and forgive me if it is, but what if people have mods in multiplayer? For example, if someone had the "too many items" mod. Is that considered cheating? Do you guys have any idea how that might work, with the mods?

Think about it: Klei's developed their Don't Starve Together prototype and a console is similar to chat (there's also a chat mod Cheerio worked on with someone) so most likely as stated in some other post, it'll probably be some customized cmd prompt that can allow you to do anything a normal server can and still have access to everything Don't Starve can still do (like customizing the server world and such) plus, Klei's prototype probably already has these things:

-A simple server file (for example: Terraria's cmd server prompt style.)

-A form of chat system

-A kick/ban system in the cmd prompt

Also, if you're going to be rude, emrextreme you'll get reported I've seen it before. *insert post about rude person who insulted me for not editing my post*

I know this sounds like a dumb question to ask, and forgive me if it is, but what if people have mods in multiplayer? For example, if someone had the "too many items" mod. Is that considered cheating? Do you guys have any idea how that might work, with the mods?

Good question. But we aren't sure if mods will be implemented to work in Don't Starve Together, or if they will, how they will work.

If you think about it, most popular mods change the game by adding stuff that isn't in Don't Starve, or change stuff that would be considered normal. So if player A had a mod that allowed them to make a house, would Player B (who doesn't want mods in their game) have to put up with it? What if Player A has a mod that stops Pigs from transforming into Werepigs (if that is such a thing), again Player B wouldn't be too happy if that affected their game. What if Player A had a mod that stopped them from dying, maybe they are using a mod that prevent tools from losing any durability, the examples are endless.

Private servers will be very active. I don't think anyone will use Public servers unless they want a migraine.

Good question. But we aren't sure if mods will be implemented to work in Don't Starve Together, or if they will, how they will work.

If you think about it, most popular mods change the game by adding stuff that isn't in Don't Starve, or change stuff that would be considered normal. So if player A had a mod that allowed them to make a house, would Player B (who doesn't want mods in their game) have to put up with it? What if Player A has a mod that stops Pigs from transforming into Werepigs (if that is such a thing), again Player B wouldn't be too happy if that affected their game. What if Player A had a mod that stopped them from dying, maybe they are using a mod that prevent tools from losing any durability, the examples are endless.

Private servers will be very active. I don't think anyone will use Public servers unless they want a migraine.

If there is mod support maybe servers could list what mods they have? So before you even join one you know what you're getting into, even just a simple icon saying if the sever is modded or vanilla.

If there is mod support maybe servers could list what mods they have? So before you even join one you know what you're getting into, even just a simple icon saying if the sever is modded or vanilla.

Yeah I thought exactly this as soon as I posted. I think this would be a very simple yet super effective way to prevent joining in on servers loaded with mods.

If it's not considered as cheating i don't know what it is.

If they have mods than it would not be cheating.  Don't starve allows modding, and actually has steam workshop for it.  I think it should be a choice when a person makes a world for multiplayer.  If somehow the player inches they're way through the wall.  Than it would be called cheating, and then you can ban them.

My honest take on this is, you go find some buddies to play with, and then you play.  That way if you know if the person cheats , if they do, you could probably convince them not to.  

If you really insist on public, then there should not be perma banned.  The person gets banned from your server, and you can tell a Admin.  Then the person's account can be freezed for lets say a week.  The sentence will be longer depending on how many times they do an offence.  The person will either get really bored, or stop playing.  If they for some reason continue to do this, they will have to repurchase the game, or a product code.

Archived