Expanding on the roof idea: sinse the game will be multiplayer, lets actually start settling like hoomans do Together!

Basically what I'm saying is reminding you about roofs being possible to build, so together with floorings and walls you could build a proper house. Might be simple, but being able to build a house like in minecraft that would help you survive would be great (except the fact if a giant or some hounds come and start wrecking the walls and roofs of your house (say roofs would break if there are no level 3 walls left holding the roof)).

I'm suggesting that to make yourself feel more like home (basically considering as if you're gonna live forever in the Maxwell's world) so you could basically build furniture instead of camping craf bles: you could build a bed (which would never break, but every time you use it eventually it will not be possible to use thought it will still be there so you could repair it with silk and the puff to use it again (a bit like miners hat that you have it even at 0% but can't use it properly until it has more fuel) and to make it harder to craft it would require a lot of silk and rabbit puff and each bed would be only for one player), a wardrobe (would have ten slots but could only contain dress items, also easily built), a chimney (going from camping fire pit to cozy homelike chimney. Would require a lot of stone thought), a desk (could just put stuff on it. Mainly something like potted fern, nothing much. Could use it as a kitchen table to have your meal or something...), a chair (easily made and by sitting down would give you sanity but REAALLY slowly so something like 1 per minute or so), doors (easily made and made out of wood, to have monsters not come in your house and all tho they could not open the doors they could break them easily).

Remember this will not make you utterly luxurious and posh without needing to survive. Roofs have their minuses and the structures I mentioned aren't too much different from already existing ones, just a little bit of more homely touch. This would still make you have to make all the science and magic stuff and having ice boxes, crock pots, drying racks etc.

It would just feel a bit more sane and logically, if 4 or so people met in a world they've lived long enough, they would start to think about building a shelter or a hoise instead of setting a camp and sitting by a fire for the rest of their lives.

DS just isn't a sandbox game, unlike Minecraft (one of the strong points MC has to offer is the sandbox environment and the titular activities to build/craft whatever you want to). DS is all about surviving in the wilderness, not base/house building. Even the means at hand to build a base are very primitive and simplistic...

DS just isn't a sandbox game, unlike Minecraft (one of the strong points MC has to offer is the sandbox environment and the titular activities to build/craft whatever you want to). DS is all about surviving in the wilderness, not base/house building. Even the means at hand to build a base are very primitive and simplistic...

...unless they somehow made the purpose of the house add to the character/purpose of Don't Starve. For instance, just off the top of my head if they added the house not for direct protection from the elements but incorporated the shadow world into it (ie. it wouldn't be your typical house). The materials gathered to make the house would make it attract some new shadow creatures or whatever. So building a house would be its own way of summoning an event and after a long and painful battle possibly rid the house permanently of enemies....like a final tier mission of sorts.

wouldn't even have to be a "house," could be the DS equivalent. and would be perfect for co-op.

Though I realize that's totally not what Xirmix wants.

...unless they somehow made the purpose of the house add to the character/purpose of Don't Starve. For instance, just off the top of my head if they added the house not for direct protection from the elements but incorporated the shadow world into it (ie. it wouldn't be your typical house). The materials gathered to make the house would make it attract some new shadow creatures or whatever. So building a house would be its own way of summoning an event and after a long and painful battle possibly rid the house permanently of enemies....like a final tier mission of sorts.

wouldn't even have to be a "house," could be the DS equivalent. and would be perfect for co-op.

Though I realize that's totally not what Xirmix wants.

Yeah, IF Klei somehow managed to do exactly what you described then sure, let there be a "house" of some sorth. Gives you something to do in the endgame aswell, both for DST and SP. I just don't see a "house-house" (for living in and all the facilities it offers) get a spot in the game, essentially making it rewarding to camp in your house(sure you have to build the damn thing first, but after that) most of the time (even more than the game already does, late game hound attacks n all that). 

I really like this idea, and I'm sure Klei could figure out a way to get it to fit more into the Don't Starve universe.

For instance, to get over the fact that having a house seems too overpowered you could make it a) very hard to build, b) easily burnt to the ground, and c) being inside it prevents you from hearing the incoming sounds of hound attacks or boss monsters. Those are just a couple ideas.

But think about it, if you're stuck in an inhospitable world for over 2 months wouldn't you start making a more permanent structure?

couldn't we just buy some barbies instead?

Now, this idea isn't bad, it just doesn't fit DS in any way(or is DS so easy now that people compare it to a building game like Minecraft?). Don't Starve is about surviving in the wilderness and fearing everything around you. The moment you create a house(how the heck do you make a house in these conditions?), you build yourself a nice little safe place, where your problems outside can't really bother you that much. This goes directly against the concept in Don't Starve that the world hates you and wants you dead(and fried on a stick). And really, in a harsh world that the Steam description describes, who would spend they precious time they should invest in food and survival on a project of absurd proportions like a house?

(let's not even go into the camera problem...)

Edit: just noticed, I may have come through as offensive and arrogant. That was not my intent. I'm sorry if any of you feel offended

While I do think it would be cool to see more decorative items and structures, I am completely against this idea. It doesn't go along with the style or feel of Don't Starve at all. And it also changes core gameplay. I think multiplayer should have as little change from the base game as possible, making only the changes needed to make multiple players possible.

This would be interesting as a mod, not as an actual addition. It doesn't fit into the uncompromising survival aspect of the game. Also there's the whole camera issue with roofs. So find someone to make a mod for this, you'd probably have more luck with that than actually trying to get it into the full game.

What's the problem with it not being in the game? People say they hate it and doesn't explain why. To be honest we can ALREADY BUILD HOUSES but the fact is there is no point sinse it only requires a lot of resources and doesn't do anything good to you. This is the MAIN reason I wanted roofs and all these things to be implemented: to have a reason to build walls and have different floorings: to be able to build houses with roofs, cause you can already build houses but without roofs: If you disagree even with the roofs then what you're saying basically is that you want different floorings and all walls out of the game. I want them to have a point in the game, which is why roofs MUST be implemented. Have I not explained myself clearly?

Plus Once you build a house with walls (WHICH ALREADY ARE IN THE GAME), floorings (WHICH ALSO ARE IN THE GAME) and roofs would you really want to set a firepit instead of a chimney, have a tent and siesta lean-to in the house instead of beds and have chests to put your clothes instead of making wardrobes for clothing (you'd still need chests for keeping resources and other equipment).

Besides humans are supposed to live in houses not live like hobos, even in a harsh world with everything wanting to kill you. Minecraft is the PERFECT example of this. It's probably that you just ate too much raw green mushroom before reading this topic.

Also there's the whole camera issue with roofs.

I'm saying this already the freakin' 5th time or so: when you go under a roof ALL ROOFS WOULD BECOME TRANSPARENT. Now stop with the camera thing cause I'm already getting annoyed with it.And wouldn't that kind of be obvious to understand even without anyone telling you?

Sorry to say, but this thread is gonna wither away like the other "Roof" thread.

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/35455-roof-with-this-dlc/?hl=roof

All of you are wasting time fantasizing about this. Player-houses are never going to be implemented, and you know that.

Why?

While I do think it would be cool to see more decorative items and structures, I am completely against this idea. It doesn't go along with the style or feel of Don't Starve at all. And it also changes core gameplay. I think multiplayer should have as little change from the base game as possible, making only the changes needed to make multiple players possible.

Why? It does go with the style, may I object: have you never thought that in the 19th century people would have Chimneys? Well you need to learn your history, buddy!

couldn't we just buy some barbies instead?

Now, this idea isn't bad, it just doesn't fit DS in any way(or is DS so easy now that people compare it to a building game like Minecraft?). Don't Starve is about surviving in the wilderness and fearing everything around you. The moment you create a house(how the heck do you make a house in these conditions?), you build yourself a nice little safe place, where your problems outside can't really bother you that much. This goes directly against the concept in Don't Starve that the world hates you and wants you dead(and fried on a stick). And really, in a harsh world that the Steam description describes, who would spend they precious time they should invest in food and survival on a project of absurd proportions like a house?

(let's not even go into the camera problem...)

Edit: just noticed, I may have come through as offensive and arrogant. That was not my intent. I'm sorry if any of you feel offended

1) Exploration is ALWAYS needed, especially for resources that can't be brought to your base and/or can't be grown (e.g. Reeds, Rocks etc.)

2) Having house will only protect you from the rain while you're crafting stuff and cooking food, because having roofs under plants would make them grow really slowly. You would still need to bear cold winter and hot summer with all the cooling equipment and heating stuff. Just instead of Pirepit you could use chimney.

3) Why? How does it not fit the theme? House will NEVER protect you from hounds: We already have walls and nobody complained about that: roofs won't do ANYTHING against protecting you against hounds: 1, 2, 3 and hounds have smashed your house into pieces, coming at you to bite you. All you seem to be describing is walls, which are already in the game, and does anyone complain about them? No.

Yeah, IF Klei somehow managed to do exactly what you described then sure, let there be a "house" of some sorth. Gives you something to do in the endgame aswell, both for DST and SP. I just don't see a "house-house" (for living in and all the facilities it offers) get a spot in the game, essentially making it rewarding to camp in your house(sure you have to build the damn thing first, but after that) most of the time (even more than the game already does, late game hound attacks n all that). 

Building a house would be hard, since it's already hard to make walls: firstly you need at least one fully repaired wall to place a roof on it and it you want to have a house with walls full around and roofs, you would need fully repaired walls all around the place and roofs. This would basically be a mid-game feature, like going from the beginning of having a Camp to having a House. The closest you could get near the beginning of the game is to make a one or so tile wide space shelter which would only protect you from rain WHILE you're under it. Whilst being in a place full of stuff that wants to kill you, wouldn't you want to make a Shelter? Besides Pigs already have houses and they're not even as smart as you!

Over all having Roofs doesn't make anything OP!

Why? It does go with the style, may I object: have you never thought that in the 19th century people would have Chimneys? Well you need to learn your history, buddy!

Yea people in the 19th century had houses. Just not people that were trapped in a strange wilderness all alone, struggling just to survive until morning. (Which is supposed to be the style of Don't Starve)

Yea people in the 19th century had houses. Just not people that were trapped in a strange wilderness all alone, struggling just to survive until morning. (Which is supposed to be the style of Don't Starve)

How do you know? Wouldn't you build a house if you were trapped in a world? Btw, you failed SO BADLY: The game is gonna be multiplayer, you're not gonna be on your own: perfect reason why to build a house.

This is why roofs and everything would be good for multiplayer but bad for single player.

1) Exploration is ALWAYS needed, especially for resources that can't be brought to your base and/or can't be grown (e.g. Reeds, Rocks etc.)

2) Having house will only protect you from the rain while you're crafting stuff and cooking food, because having roofs under plants would make them grow really slowly. You would still need to bear cold winter and hot summer with all the cooling equipment and heating stuff. Just instead of Pirepit you could use chimney.

3) Why? How does it not fit the theme? House will NEVER protect you from hounds: We already have walls and nobody complained about that: roofs won't do ANYTHING against protecting you against hounds: 1, 2, 3 and hounds have smashed your house into pieces, coming at you to bite you. All you seem to be describing is walls, which are already in the game, and does anyone complain about them? No.

1)sure, but such exploration should be focused on things needed to survive, not to build things for superflous needs

2)well, then roofs seems kinda useless then, as their effects would be the same as having an eyebrella(which if you're building a house, the chances are you already have)

3)I also am a bit against the walls, but the difference with them, is that they give off a more "fortified camp" feel, instead of a "home sweet home" feel, and also it would change the, "oh no, hounds/giants are coming to kill me" to "oh no, hounds/giants are coming to destroy my house", and most players will think about defending houses, instead of houses defending them

also, I want to give some emphasis in this. this is NOT minecraft.

Minecraft is a building game, in which all you do is build and build and build(and also, nowadays, completely imbalanced and full of meaningless additions and boring flashy features). If there was once a survival mode in that game, it has become a creative mode with a life bar. If you die in minecraft, you revive where you last slept. If you die in Don't Starve, your world is deleted. The night in minecraft is just about lighting the world and fighting mobs. The night in Don't Starve is(or should be...) about fearing whatever may come from the darkness while you're unprepared. Don't Starve is a roguelike uncompromising survival game. Minecraft is a building sandbox game

1)sure, but such exploration should be focused on things needed to survive, not to build things for superflous needs

2)well, then roofs seems kinda useless then, as their effects would be the same as having an eyebrella(which if you're building a house, the chances are you already have)

3)I also am a bit against the walls, but the difference with them, is that they give off a more "fortified camp" feel, instead of a "home sweet home" feel, and also it would change the, "oh no, hounds/giants are coming to kill me" to "oh no, hounds/giants are coming to destroy my house", and most players will think about defending houses, instead of houses defending them

also, I want to give some emphasis in this. this is NOT minecraft.

Minecraft is a building game, in which all you do is build and build and build(and also, nowadays, completely imbalanced and full of meaningless additions and boring flashy features). If there was once a survival mode in that game, it has become a creative mode with a life bar. If you die in minecraft, you revive where you last slept. If you die in Don't Starve, your world is deleted. The night in minecraft is just about lighting the world and fighting mobs. The night in Don't Starve is(or should be...) about fearing whatever may come from the darkness while you're unprepared. Don't Starve is a roguelike uncompromising survival game. Minecraft is a building sandbox game

But still, even if you were stuck in a world NOT alone which would be full of monsters, wouldn't you want to build at least a shelter?

But still, even if you were stuck in a world NOT alone which would be full of monsters, wouldn't you want to build at least a shelter?

yep, but I doubt it would be anywhere near a house with a roof. This is too ambitious of a project, and would be nigh impossible to do. I agree that a more advanced shelter would be something very usefull and nice to have, and it would increase somewhat the play time of Don't Starve(we still need some loads of End Game stuff), but a house with chimney, desks, wardrobes and roofs seem to be too farfetched

Oh yeah, well what DOES seem "survival enough" to you?

Every time you make a suggestion that people generally dislike, you get aggressive, touchy and a generally horrible person to talk to. At least try to remain pleasant and just explain your ideas and why you feel they are good ideas, and hey, you might convince some people. Getting aggressive and angry just makes people dislike you, and it makes you seem rude and petulant.

Every time you make a suggestion that people generally dislike, you get aggressive, touchy and a generally horrible person to talk to. At least try to remain pleasant and just explain your ideas and why you feel they are good ideas, and hey, you might convince some people. Getting aggressive and angry just makes people dislike you, and it makes you seem rude and petulant.

I don't know the way you read my post but I did not write it agressively. At least didn't meant to, sorry if you read it that way. I was trying to be cheesy instead, if that's the right word.

Why?

"I hate this world. I'm going to build a house!" -Said nobody ever.

Besides humans are supposed to live in houses not live like hobos, even in a harsh world with everything wanting to kill you.

This is not true, and for some reason this is making me quite frustrated. Hunter-gathers who basically live like the characters in Don't Starve, live far more healthier and happier lives than the "humans" you're talking about. REAL humans were born to hunt, gather, and build to survive, not to live like goddamn hamsters. If you still don't agree with me, take it upon yourself to study it.

Here's something interesting.

"I hate this world. I'm going to build a house!" -Said nobody ever.

This is not true, and for some reason this is making me quite frustrated. Hunter-gathers who basically live like the characters in Don't Starve, live far more healthier and happier lives than the "humans" you're talking about. REAL humans were born to hunt, gather, and build to survive, not to live like goddamn hamsters. If you still don't agree with me, take it upon yourself to study it.

Here's something interesting.

That just made me LOL, sorry can't take it seriously...

Archived