Naughty & Nice so far!

That's some good info there, 501105. I was afraid that he would always spawn at your camp (note that I haven't played the updated version yet since I'm off home). He spawns near you and run for your base, right? Does he move faster than you? Is it hard to avoid him destroying your things without using bee mines?

Have someone figured out the Killer Bees and how to "turn" them into normal Bees?

If Krampus spawns near your base then he will indeed go for your chests (if you have them). If you however spawn him on the other side of the world, he will steal random things like live bunnies, or even butterflies because there are no chests nearby. I would say Krampus his speed is about the same as that of the Gobbler, he is slightly faster then you and in order to hit him you must corner him or attack him when he is stealing something. The difficulty of fighting against Krampus depends on how many of them spawn. One is fairly easy to handle and keep away from your things, but several of them can really mess up your chests.

I began collecting birds for the ritual slaughter to summon Krampus, two showed up and hilarity ensued as they messed up my chests.

To the victor go the spoils; http://i.imgur.com/ivUzG.jpg

This helps me solve a question i had before. I managed to kill 1 Krampus, and was wondering if another one would spawn, but you having found 2 proves the point that there isn't just 1 Krampus, so thanks for sharing ;)

In case anyone doesn't know, you can feed your caged birds any kind of veg you grow from your farm plots, and they will poop a bunch of seeds for THAT veg. So if you want loads of dragon fruit, wait until you grow one, then feed it to a bird, he should poop 2-3 dragon fruit seeds, and when you plant them they will grow a dragon fruit each. So it's an easy way to get the rarer types of veg.

I have dragon pies practically coming out of my bumhole now :)

I LOVE THIS UPDATE, IT'S AWESOME, THIS GAME IS AWESOME, IT'S JUST SO AWESOME!!!

I like the new "pet" concept and i expect much more variety in future updates....

Considering how week they are I never hatch more than 2 at once.... Haven't faced the Krampus thing yet....but no rush :p

Awesome Fps, nice map, and its only me or....Tall-birds respawn???

Yes tallbirds respawn. I loaded my world with 90-odd days in, then remembered I had killed the tallbird because he wouldn't stop chasing me after the previous patch, and there is only 1 nest in my world for some reason.

Thinking I would have to start a new world I decided to go and have a look at the nest, and there was a new tallbird, already plopping an egg out for me. After I stole the egg the tallbird was REALLY angry and wouldn't stop chasing me, so I killed him.

Then, sadly, a pigman ate my egg after 2 days of waiting for it to hatch. So I went back and there was ANOTHER tallbird there, so I waited for him to poop me another egg, then stole it. He chased me a LONG way, but I wanted to see if he gave up after a while, if not I would lead him into my bee mines. He gave up after chasing me across 2/3 of an island, thankfully.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the "Naughy meter" only goes up, right? So inevitably Sooner or later a Krampus will spawn?

If that's the case I'm not sure I like it. As others have said, this does promote a single optimized way of playing, meaning being a strict vegetarian and turtling in your camp. I feel this isn't very appropriate to the feel of the game, since it's supposed to be about survival in any way possible and growing your own veggies is in no way less reliable or rewarding then going hunting. So why is the hardest (and already obsolete after a while into the game) option punished in such a way?

What I think could work better is a "naughty meter" that resets itself if the player doesn't kill innocent animals for a while. This way it becomes more of a deterrent against only using bunnies, pigs and birds as a foodsource and a deterrent against going for big killing sprees, while at the same time promoting a varied approach to how food is acquired.

Now if only we had some kind of enemy that punishes you for slaughtering veggies...

New to the forums, btw. So hello everyone. :)

When I first saw the Krampus, I thought they were some kind of twisted, weird reindeer with a Santa Claus sack slung over their shoulder. They looked way too freaky so I killed them. Spent the rest of the game session wondering if I should've done it lol.

I now know what Krampus is and all. I have to give some feedback on this Krampus stuff. To be honest, I'm not sure how to rate it.

For one, I don't get why killing rabbits is supposed to be a bad thing. Don't do it because I want to. I seem to recall the title of the game being Don't Starve. Right?

As terrible as that may sound, I think I can see why the devs might have put them in. If your rabbit hunting ground is not anywhere near you home base (and chests) then dealing with Krampus is not a problem and you get stuff when you kill them. So, ok. Remembering things Kevin has said, I get the feeling the true purpose of Krampus is to encourage activity away from the base.

Also, when I'm around rabbits and not attacking them, their interest in me seems to drop. Anyone else notice it?

When attacking a Krampus, I usually wind up chasing them to the edge. Then when I kill them, the stuff they drop flies off into the ocean.

So....

1. The reason why Krampus appears (or loses interest in you) makes no sense at all.

2. Dealing with them isn't a problem if you're the type who gets out and does stuff away from home.

3. The stuff they drop sometimes flies off into the ocean.

Huh. Krampus really does drop into a dead sleep if you spawn him at night.

Best choice seems to be using chests to keep a stockpile of live captured animals, and butchering them all en masse after dark. Even if you do get multiple Krampus spawns, they'll just nod off the moment you're not stabbing bunnies, and you can just go and gut them in their sleep.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the "Naughy meter" only goes up, right? So inevitably Sooner or later a Krampus will spawn?

If that's the case I'm not sure I like it. As others have said, this does promote a single optimized way of playing, meaning being a strict vegetarian and turtling in your camp.

Krampus is a pushover. Five stabs with a spear and he's dialing LifeCall. The real threat is him nicking everything not nailed down and on fire, which is annoying at best since he can't destroy/steal buildings bar the chest, he doesn't go after you, and if there are no chests nearby when he's spawned he won't go look for any. And after you first spawn him, it's going to take a LOT of stabbing small innocent woodland creatures to get him to spawn again in the first 30 days of survival. Hounds are a far larger threat than a Krampus or two.

I was mostly complaining about the "LOL! Black chitinous tide of doom!" spider spawns you got when poking a maxed out nest, but the problem seems to have been a bug (more like two dozen stabby ones) that was hence addressed.

Now if only we had some kind of enemy that punishes you for slaughtering veggies...

Some kind of horrible, gigantic abomination of a bunnyman that will constantly follow you and try to steal and eat any non-meat edible you come across, perhaps?

Is it just me, or do tallbirds hardly ever lose interest in you when you steal an egg now?

I had 3 eggs going, hatched one, went and stole another and two tallbirds came after me and I just had to let them kill me in the end because they wouldn't leave me alone and it was getting dark. I couldn't stop to light my fire or light a torch, and I hadn't found the pig village yet so didn't have any protection. Against two tallbirds I just didn't have a chance.

How do you get them to leave you alone? Can you give the egg back somehow?

I feel like Krampus was a step in the wrong direction.

He only addresses (and punishes you for) one kind of playstyle, and that's going out and hunting (as opposed to farming). Which is arguably the playstyle that the player should be rewarded for.

Sure, killing wildlife is "naughty", but I've always gotten a more sadist, daring vibe from Don't Starve.

I can't help but think that the "naughty and nice" mechanism he's built on will become silly and irrelevant in a month and half or so.

I feel like Krampus was a step in the wrong direction.

He only addresses (and punishes you for) one kind of playstyle, and that's going out and hunting (as opposed to farming). Which is arguably the playstyle that the player should be rewarded for.

Sure, killing wildlife is "naughty", but I've always gotten a more sadist, daring vibe from Don't Starve.

I can't help but think that the "naughty and nice" mechanism he's built on will become silly and irrelevant in a month and half or so.

Much agreed. I don't think any game with "bizarro victorian" design should conform in any way to conventional morality - it's part of the charm that horrific suffering and exploitation are regarded as commonplace.

If anything, I feel like Krampus should be a random occurrence with no warning. It would help to reinforce both the dangerous and nonsensical natures of the setting, as well as providing a forced change of pace to gameplay (especially if he dashes in and nicks something good).

okay, first things first, krampus only comes to punish you for attacking non hostile mobs frequently enough, meaning if he's attacking you, you're being too enthusiastic with the slaughter of the harmless fuzzies.

It's quite viable to subsist on roasted seeds and berries alone for significant periods of time, and when you get a crock pot running, you can actively hunt spiders for their monster meat as crock pots make monster meat safe to eat. I'm at 100 days, and I haven't seen a single krampus yet, why? currently the only meat i'm collecting is from gobblers, werepigs, spiders and tentacles.

Furthermore, the more of these updates I see, the more I am inclined that wilson- and by extention, the others- are here for a reason. something tells me that maxwell dumped them in this unforgiving wilderness for a reason OTHER than antagonistic torment, and the krampus mechanic ALONGSIDE the treeguards seems to support this theory so far, in that you are encouraged to conduct yourself in a manner that places you within a tolerable degree of harmony with the environment. If I am correct, the game will progress in this vein along with various other karmic balances because I have a sneaking feeling that the players predicament at the onset of the game is due to some catalyzing transgression on wilson's part. Despite being a gentleman, he DOES strike me as rather arrogant, or should I say prideful?

As stated by the devs themselves, the truth behind this game is dark and terrible, though we will see Soon enough just what is in store for wilson and the others

Edited by qwerm