Naughty & Nice so far!

Well, just had a visit from two Krampus at once. I was so convinced that only one could spawn that I left my camp unguarded to chase after it. By the time I got back, the second Krampus was messing with my chests.

I thought the same thing and did the same exact thing lol. Those devious devils :evil:

If you like surprises, I wouldn't follow these links.

A few of us have started documenting a "change log" here: http://dontstarvewiki.net/index.php/Version_History

I've also just finished an article that goes into great detail on how Krampii work: http://dontstarvewiki.net/index.php/Krampus

Very nice! Hats off to you good sir, that was quite insightful.

Whole new level of "Oh ****" has been added...

While killing off my spider "farm" I got jumped by 4 Krampus, I kited them and the legion of spiders i had aggro'd to my pigmen (several turned into Werepigs) and 3 Hellhounds attacked aswell. Pure Chaos followed by several quick deaths

Yeah... Got a try with the new build. It's novel, but I'm not entirely happy with the changes.

The good:

The new items are fun, and the fact that one now needs to actually kill trapped animals by one's self instead of them magically turning into morsels inside the traps adds a new level of darkness to the game, especially with the jackalopes' cowering animation. That kinda got to me, and made me hesitate in poking them with the spear when I first saw that.

Krampus is a nice addition as well. His threat doesn't come from his combat strength (which with a spear and logsuit is next to non-existent), but from him nicking anything not nailed down and on fire.

The meh:

From what I've seen, birds can no longer be trapped in basic traps, and will just eat the seed bait and fly off. So one needs to build bird traps. With cobweb. Which brings me to...

The bad:

Fat chance of getting cobweb anymore, now with eight spiders spawning out of the fully-grown nest when you poke it, and six spawning out of the mid-sized ones.

That size of a ball of spiders is unmanageable, and can barely be kited anymore. Instead of one spider being the "tip" of the ball and the target for the attacks, now there's 2-3, which will often enough complete their attack animation by the time you've done yours.

This massively increases the difficulty of farming cobweb, and makes it take an entire day at best to empty a single large nest (due to extra volume of spiders, and far more downtime for healing between wave spawns), and with regular traps no longer working for birds, it means that if the player wants to stay with a sedentary hunter-gatherer playstyle, it's now far more difficult and more risky to do so, especially given Krampus being drawn to you by killing critters.

This basically relegates play to:

post-4815-13764589578391_thumb.png

If you like surprises, I wouldn't follow these links.

A few of us have started documenting a "change log" here: http://dontstarvewiki.net/index.php/Version_History

Awesome. Thanks for the info. I'm not sure if the larger spawns are intentional, but I have a hunch they might be, as the wave size increases in relation to the nest's size. (4-6-8).

Also, can someone confirm being able to trap birds with the basic traps in the previous build?

Also, can someone confirm being able to trap birds with the basic traps in the previous build?

I can confirm that. It was insane how easy it was to catch birds with the basic basket trap -- they would fly right in there without bait, and I made a tidy clean up on morsels and feathers!

@Walrus Oh, it's not that bad. It just makes the start harder for anyone not near pigs/buffalo. Unfortunately it does make you wantt o turtle once you get there. The krampus (I think) promotes the farm method (more turtling) so I am not sure I like it.

Spiders are a major pain in this patch. I really don't see how you could possibly destroy a spider den, but maybe there's something I don't know. I did manage to take down a t2 one (it took litterally ALL day) and it didn't drop an egg, so maybe your just supposed to get silk by killing the spiders themselves?

I also had some trouble with bees. I found a hive, but there weren't any bees about. I hit the hive and red bees came out. I caught them all and took out the hive, but I learned that the red bees were "killer bees" and couldn't be used to make a bee house. Maybe it was a bug or I did something wrong, but I couldn't get any normal bees >.>

Started a game with "The Firestarter"

Five minutes later, what do I see?

None other than this guy:

post-4846-13764589578882_thumb.png

So I murdered him with my spear and took all my charcoal back.

The end.

Oh and did you know Krampus is a demon in Austria, southern Bavaria, South Tyrol, Hungary, Slovenia and Croatian cultures?

He's the opposite of Santa/Saint Nicholas.

Unfortunately it does make you wantt o turtle once you get there. The krampus (I think) promotes the farm method (more turtling) so I am not sure I like it.

Which was kinda my point. It considerably shifts the metagame and narrows it towards a unique, "optimum" style.

Spiders are a major pain in this patch. I really don't see how you could possibly destroy a spider den, but maybe there's something I don't know. I did manage to take down a t2 one (it took litterally ALL day) and it didn't drop an egg, so maybe your just supposed to get silk by killing the spiders themselves?

Only T3 nests drop eggs. I think it was like this since the Thanksgiving update.

Also, a T3 nest can be killed, but does, indeed, take an entire day at best because of the need to carefully kite the chitinous deathball that emerges when you poke it.

Which was kinda my point. It considerably shifts the metagame and narrows it towards a unique, "optimum" style.

Only T3 nests drop eggs. I think it was like this since the Thanksgiving update.

Also, a T3 nest can be killed, but does, indeed, take an entire day at best because of the need to carefully kite the chitinous deathball that emerges when you poke it.

It does not take me nearly all day to kill one, albeit my log suit goes from 100% to 50% but it's still quite easy

Anyone else having trouble with bees?

I have made two new worlds, and none of my beehives (naturally occuring) are spawning any bees. I have sat right next to the beehive for two days (and nights) and no bees come out! If I whack the hive, killer bees come out, but I can't use those to make a bee box.

As of Day 8, no bees have come out of either hive >.>

Huh. Seems the spider spawn pattern has been changed. First poke releases an 8 spider wave, second one 5-6, and the third, only one or two. This reduces the amount of work and kiting needed to clear a large nest, while still retaining a good degree of challenge with the large, 8 spider wave. I like it.

Could someone confirm these changes, or is my current save simply acting oddly?

Anyone else having trouble with bees?

I have made two new worlds, and none of my beehives (naturally occuring) are spawning any bees. I have sat right next to the beehive for two days (and nights) and no bees come out! If I whack the hive, killer bees come out, but I can't use those to make a bee box.

As of Day 8, no bees have come out of either hive >.>

Bug net works wonders for catching killer bees!

I'm also quite afraid that with Krampus added, I won't enjoy the game as much. It's either constantly staying at my homebase and being bored or going out hunting, but having all my stuff be vulnerable against Krampus.

You will have to do a fair amount of naughty things before he will show up though. When he does show up, you know when it happens, and you can prepare for it. Also you can always do most naughty things at a location of your choice, since he spawns near you and not in your main camp.

That's some good info there, 501105. I was afraid that he would always spawn at your camp (note that I haven't played the updated version yet since I'm off home). He spawns near you and run for your base, right? Does he move faster than you? Is it hard to avoid him destroying your things without using bee mines?

Have someone figured out the Killer Bees and how to "turn" them into normal Bees?