Mods have ruined this game for me....

The temptation to spawn items in is very strong. I disable console commands for that reason.

Eh, why not just create a world where you can specifically do that? I have one with wigrid and I am spawning stuff like crazy and am making a really sweet base with shiny gold coloured walls. Oooooooh. It gives you something constructive to do and keeps the spawning urges away.

I only play the occasional, actually good character mod (ex. ones that actually fit DS style). Oh, and Better Walls and I'm testing Up and Away right now.

If the mods ruined it for this guy by being OP and shiz, then he hasn't seen or played the Coraline mod I'm working on finishing.

Up and Away is a perfect example of a good mod that is balanc(ing?)ed and keeps it integrity,

Now, I don't use mods often that change much in the game as in food or trivial things, so it is inevitable that I am painfully unaware. Though the worldgen mods do add a level of coolness, I still abstain because they add more food to help the player with.

To the OP:

Look for some good mods that just tweak the game. Not any mod with "Tweaks" in it, mind you, but stuff like Minimap HUD, Always On Status, RPG HUD (bare bones edition), Display Food Values, Bee Nice.... They are all pretty non-op and are kinda convenient! Everyone agrees on the "It's just not the same" philosophy when you disable mods. So make up your mind. If you still are conflicted, use one world with every mod you desire, and one without.

I do whatever makes the game more enjoyable for me.

The only console command I ever use is to spawn a krampus sack at the start of each game, since I don't really want to spend hours trying to get one, and I use the mod that lets you use armour/clothing and carry a backpack (can't remember the name), because that makes sense to me, and a lot of my pleasure comes from collecting stuff.  I love collecting and hoarding and seeing what I can do with it.

Then I also use mods to give me more map icons so I don't constantly have to go running around finding where the beefalo have wandered too, for example.

And right at the start of a game I use a map revealer just to check it's a map I'll enjoy, then I disable it since I enjoy exploring (I never remember where anything was).

When I get fed up with this version of play, I'm sure I'll go looking for more mods, but only ones that I think will refresh the experience for me.  And I'm sure by then I'll also enjoy the challenge of a completely mod-less game, as it will feel fresh again.

Archived