Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

Asztrik

Is the Thermal Stone supposed to be acting like this?

Asztrik    4

So I've started a new game, at day 6 or 7  found the chest which changes the season to winter. I've opened it and the stone worked fine all along winter but when the transition came to spring it was still pretty chilly and no matter how big fire I made or how close i put the Thermal stone to the fire it didn't wanted to heat up, it either stayed grey for a really long time and when it became yellow it only lasted for about half a minute or just stayed grey 'til i picked it up. It wasn't raining at the time, nor I was wet. I'm just curious if this is intended or not? or am i missing something.

Edit: It might have been white the whole time instead of grey can't really tell
       Oh and it  happened when I put glommer via it's flower near my campfire

Tamazacat    130

I got that, too, but had thought nothing if it at the time. Now that you mention it, it does seem very off. Mine mostly stayed at grey. I didn't get the Glommer thing you speak of, though.

LadyAzure    322

I know, I have the same issues with the thermal stone. Sometimes it just stays grey and it never gets warmer then yellow..other times I get it red hot and a few seconds later it is cold again. Something is definitely off with it at least in my experiences. 

Asztrik    4

I just thought that maybe glommer has a chilly aura or his wing flapping keeps you and your surroundings cool but scratch that.

It seems like this just might be a bug than, I hope a Dev can look into this sometime.

Edit: On the image attached, I've left the stone there from 6pm and kept my fire as high as possible and it's still grey or white. The ground is wet tho if that makes a difference

post-385321-0-57472200-1401027113_thumb.

spencer320    154

Have you tried keeping it on you while standing next to the fire. I remember that they changed it to lose some heat/not get as hot if it's on the ground. But I figured it would still warm up to at least yellow.

Try crafting one and put them side by side next to the fire...

Maybe the stone from the trap is crappy quality or something!?

Asztrik    4

Have you tried keeping it on you while standing next to the fire. I remember that they changed it to lose some heat/not get as hot if it's on the ground. But I figured it would still warm up to at least yellow.

Try crafting one and put them side by side next to the fire...

Maybe the stone from the trap is crappy quality or something!?

I've tried keeping it on myself it had the same results approx.

I would try crafting another one (however this was my 3rd stone) but I just died on that save file.

NotCrazy    25

I've had the same problem, without Glommer around. Thermal stones are kinda screwy since I've started to play RoG.

I usually have two stones, and I've had one bugging out while the other worked normally, if that helps pinpointing the issue.

SerRompalot    0

I didn't have the same exact problem, but my thermal stone wouldn't heat up past yellow, no matter how intense the fire or how long I stood by it. It turned orange once, but two seconds after I walked away from the fire it turned yellow again.

DevilXD    49

I was reading somewhere that you have to wear something warm, to keep stone from loosing all its heat...

Asztrik    4

I was reading somewhere that you have to wear something warm, to keep stone from loosing all its heat...

Hm before this screenshot was taken, a few ingame days earlier I was wearing both a breezy vest and a winter hat and it seemed to worked fine as for keeping the stone warm for a longer time. So maybe that really has something to do with it, On the other hand that doesn't explains why it won't heat up properly on the ground anymore

DevilXD    49

That doesn't explains why it won't heat up properly on the ground anymore

Because it is't insulated from the cold?

Asztrik    4

Because it is't insulated from the cold?

Than why did it gone up to orange all along winter? i always left it on the ground, and as  I said in the Op the problems started in spring and not winter.

DevilXD    49

Ok, so looking into "Where there is a Wilson..." patch notes:

• Heat rocks are now less effective when on the ground but more effective when carried.
  • Adjusted heat rock heating/ cooling values.

And looking into thermal stone code explains:

Thermal Stone uses temperature component...

Temperature component calculates temperature based on the insulation of items that player is wearing...

And I have seen somewhere in the previous patch notes (or SethR/Bryce said that somewhere else), that thermal stone will keep you warm, if you are wearing warm clothes, but I can't find it anywhere/anymore on the forum...

So, I explained that to you?

Asztrik    4

Ok, so looking into "Where there is a Wilson..." patch notes:

• Heat rocks are now less effective when on the ground but more effective when carried.
  • Adjusted heat rock heating/ cooling values.

And looking into thermal stone code explains:

Thermal Stone uses temperature component...

Temperature component calculates temperature based on the insulation of items that player is wearing...

And I have seen somewhere in the previous patch notes (or SethR/Bryce said that somewhere else), that thermal stone will keep you warm, if you are wearing warm clothes, but I can't find it anywhere/anymore on the forum...

Not at all.  The stone stored/ heated properly in winter and suddenly when spring came it didn't when in both cases I always left it on the ground to charge it up. everytime.

Let me make it simpler for you:

1)Campfire+Thermal Stone+Winter= Stone goes orange near the fire on the ground

2)Campfire+Thermal Stone+Spring=Stone stays grey near the fire on the ground.

DevilXD    49

There is some code that makes stone "heat-absorbing" changes:

(seasonmgr:IsWinter() or (seasonmgr:IsSpring() and seasonmgr:GetPercentSeason() < .2) or (seasonmgr:IsAutumn() and seasonmgr:GetPercentSeason() > .8)

Thing above makes thermal stone "heatable" in last 20% of autumn, all winter and first 20% of Spring...

Later on:

(seasonmgr:IsSummer() or (seasonmgr:IsSpring() and seasonmgr:GetPercentSeason() > .8) or (seasonmgr:IsAutumn() and seasonmgr:GetPercentSeason() < .2)

It makes the stone "freezable" in last 20% of spring, all summer and first 20% of autumn...

OR, the issues that you are experiencing may appear due to "forcing" season change to Winter (by opening a trapped chest)

Maybe "seasonmanager" doesn't registered that properly and you have thermal stones (crafting new one doesn't matter in this case) that are set to "freezable" (it's hard to heat them up)...

SethR    1,229

@DevilXD is on the right track here. We fudge the numbers a little bit to improve the visual feedback on the thermal stone during the seasons when it is actually useful (i.e. Winter and Summer). Let's look at the code here (heatrock.lua in the DLC0001/data/scripts/prefabs folder):

-- These represent the boundaries between the imageslocal base_temperature_thresholds = { 5, 20, 50, 65 }--{ 0, 25, 40, 50 } was originallocal winter_temperature_thresholds = { -5, 12, 20, 35 }local summer_temperature_thresholds = { 35, 50, 58, 75 }local function GetCurrentTemperatureThresholds(inst)	local seasonmgr = GetSeasonManager()	if seasonmgr and (seasonmgr:IsSummer() or (seasonmgr:IsSpring() and seasonmgr:GetPercentSeason() > .8) or (seasonmgr:IsAutumn() and seasonmgr:GetPercentSeason() < .2)) then		return summer_temperature_thresholds, 0	elseif seasonmgr and (seasonmgr:IsWinter() or (seasonmgr:IsSpring() and seasonmgr:GetPercentSeason() < .2) or (seasonmgr:IsAutumn() and seasonmgr:GetPercentSeason() > .8)) then		return winter_temperature_thresholds, TUNING.MIN_ENTITY_TEMP	else		return base_temperature_thresholds, TUNING.MIN_ENTITY_TEMP	endend

The weirdness you're seeing is due to the fact that the temperature range is approximately twice the size in Reign of Giants and we shift the temperature ranges at which thermal stone's color changes during the various seasons. It's possible, but extremely difficult, to get any entity (player, thermal stone, etc) to its maximum temperature during Winter--doing so would require multiple roaring fires. So, if we kept the thermal stone's temperature ranges static across the full year, you'd be unlikely to ever see a stone hotter than grey during Winter (which would then make you unlikely to ever want to use it). So, to make it more obvious when the stone will be useful, we shift the temperature ranges up/down if you're in an 'extreme' season (or reasonably close to starting/having just ended one). This does have the side effects of introducing a bit of weirdness when the seasons change and that the stone has different apparent behaviors when left by a fire during different seasons. Hypothetically, there's no good reason to be concerned about the temperature of a thermal stone during Spring and Autumn, so we move it to a more middle ground temperature range and it becomes a rather imprecise thermometer during those times. It will have a very similar temperature (slightly warmer because the world is warmer) after spending 30 seconds by a fire in Autumn as it would in Winter, it's just not communicated visually because that information is less important at that time. Hope that clears some things up!