New Pictures In The Game Files

Saying the characters don't have lore is just plain untrue. All of them have some lore, even Wes, though he doesn't have anywhere near as much.

Okay, I know Wilson's and Maxwell's.  Can you explain the others' lore to me, please?

Okay, I know Wilson's and Maxwell's.  Can you explain the others' lore to me, please?

Off the top of my head, Wes was said by Maxwell to have been hated by him and trapped for it. On a poster in William Carter's backstory, there's someone who looks somewhat like Wes or hungry Wolfgang.

Wolfgang worked in the same circus as Maxwell. It's also implied that Wolfgang was the son of farmers (based on pitchfork examination) and was a communist (from his hammer examination). Kevin has also definitely said that Wolfgang's hunger mechanic relates to his backstory, although he never expanded on how.

Webber was a child who was eaten whole by a spider. He survived (after being revived, at least). His father likely was rich as he was said to wear a top hat and have goats, which seems to suggest he owned a lot of land. There was also something about his grandfather mentioned too...

Wendy's twin sister died under mysterious circumstances. It's implied that she is related to Maxwell in some way due to feeling "kinship" with him. Despite being the youngest (well, maybe 2nd youngest with Webber now) she knows a great deal about literature and is well read.

I can't remember any quotes to support it but I think it was implied somewhere that Willow burnt down her house with her family, although I can't remember any quotes to support it.

It's possible that Woodie is somehow related to Charlie's Canadian sister, maybe married or something. Lucy might even be her sister. This one more than anything is speculation, but it's rather odd that Canada would suddenly be mentioned in the lore of the game when the first and only Canadian character appeared.

Wigfried is, of course, a method actress. In general it's hard to say anything for sure about her, since she's almost always in character, save for one or two quotes.

There's not actually that much known about Wickerbottom as a person besides her being a very knowledgeable librarian, and her using Ms. instead of Miss or Mrs.

Again, there's not too much to say about Wx78 that isn't anything more than speculation.

Klei is not some gem of perfection and grace, and that's what pisses me off most here. To just say Klei is beyond faults and knows what to do is dumb.  To me Pyro smells more like money and advertising than fire and originality.

Hit the nail on the head.

Also, I have no idea why the Pyro has turned up again, didn't Klei pride themselves about listening to the community? They talk about how Beta/Alpha helped shape their game, and how great it was for them, but now, now the community isn't being listened to. Anyone else remember when Pyro first appeared? The overwhelming majority were against it. If the same kind of negative feedback were given in Beta, something would've changed. Why not now?

Also, I have no idea why the Pyro has turned up again, didn't Klei pride themselves about listening to the community? They talk about how Beta/Alpha helped shape their game, and how great it was for them, but now, now the community isn't being listened to. Anyone else remember when Pyro first appeared? The overwhelming majority were against it. If the same kind of negative feedback were given in Beta, something would've changed. Why not now?

I actually don't believe the overwhelming majority is against it.

I don't see a flamethrower anywhere in those items.

And Wortox really looks like he belongs in Don't Starve.  Gosh, I sure remember learning about the underground demons from the 1920s in my history books.  Right along with the science machines, ancient alters and tallbirds.

My point being, this is freaking Don't Starve.  Just about anything goes here.

10/10 I agree. People just either play TF2 but hate the Pyro as a character or hate TF2 in general (WHY WOULD YOU?!?!?!?!)

I am very happy Klei is adding the Pyro. And yes, Don't Starve isn't the real world. Even though the concept art shows that it was going to be a post-apocalyptic world with giant robots in the 1920's. And I do agree, nothing in Don't Starve is real. I'm pretty sure Don't Starve worlds (I'm saying this because of adventure mode worlds and why every world is random) Plus bringing up what someone said about how the Pyro looks, how he has a modern flamethrower and he how he has no mouthpiece;

The look of the Pyro. If Pyro looked modern, it would be a camouflage, not a red suit (Valve uses Red as the protagonists)

It's flamethrower looks modern but as we all know, flamethrowers aren't used nowadays due to the tank being visible and explosive (this means incendiary weapons or vehicles are used but not flamethrowers.)

The Pyro having no mouthpiece is no problem. This is because the mouth moving animation is separate from the textures for the mouth actually moving. Klei doesn't have to make Pyro's muzzle look like it's talking.

But in general Spookers the Spoo is right, people shouldn't complain how Pyro will ruin Don't Starve. As I've stated before, I see Pyro as a good character because I only use Wilson (and knowing the community, 8/10ths will play as Wilson) and I find it a good character to play as.

You get my point.

Wortox hasn't even been added, he's been in the games files sense the very beginning. Plus Wortox isn't in an already established game, The game is called "Wilderness game full of science and magic" for a reason you know. 

What if the devs added Commander Shepard into the game? Or what about Dark Vader and Yoda? Maybe if we're lucky Klei might add Steve from Minecraft in the game! I mean that couldn't be a problem sense ANYTHING goes after all like you said.

Here's a better example for you: I never read a person swallowed whole by a spider. And also going back to what Spookers said, it's Klei's game and they'll most likely be adding Pyro no matter what but also for reason.

Also, I'm pretty sure if they added Commander Shepard, Darth Vader, Yoda or Steve for no reason they'd get sued by EA or Disney (all except for Steve because Notch and Jeb are nice guys usually. And Klei have NO REASONING TO ADD HIM he has nothing super special about him that they could add.)

Remember how we didn't know Multiplayer is coming? I'll let you figure out the rest.

Let me go grab my popcorn and watch the flame war begin.

Don't Starve spiders are Maxwellian-ly enhanced super size.

But how does Webber's skull make sense? How can Spider legs just grow on a human skull (specifically 4)

And knowing his' quotes from examining the Maxwell Statue and examining regular NPC Maxwell, we can conclude Webber was eaten by a spider before Maxwell swooped him into Don't Starve.

But how does Webber's skull make sense? How can Spider legs just grow on a human skull (specifically 4)

And knowing his' quotes from examining the Maxwell Statue and examining regular NPC Maxwell, we can conclude Webber was eaten by a spider before Maxwell swooped him into Don't Starve.

The way I see it, the body of Webber is stretching the bottom of the spider to wrap around his body. The spider is pretty helpless there as his legs no longer reach the ground. The way I see the skull is that it's Webber's skull within the spider's corpse with the spider's flesh peeled away on the front.

But maybe that's just me being morbid.

And from what I see it, I don't see him referring to Maxwell as evidence of it happening before being brought to the world. The way I interpreted it was that Webber was in need of help before being taken to the world but was tricked to be taken there. The use of we is hardly evidence either way either as he uses it fairly inconsistently,

The way I see it, the body of Webber is stretching the bottom of the spider to wrap around his body. The spider is pretty helpless there as his legs no longer reach the ground. The way I see the skull is that it's Webber's skull within the spider's corpse with the spider's flesh peeled away on the front.

But maybe that's just me being morbid.

And from what I see it, I don't see him referring to Maxwell as evidence of it happening before being brought to the world. The way I interpreted it was that Webber was in need of help before being taken to the world but was tricked to be taken there. The use of we is hardly evidence either way either as he uses it fairly inconsistently,

Maxwell- "That jerk tricked us."

Maxwell Statue- "That's the guy who said he could help us."

Seeds- "Small life trapped within. My sympathies."

It seems Webber was trapped in the spider before Maxwell found him.

Off the top of my head, Wes was said by Maxwell to have been hated by him and trapped for it. On a poster in William Carter's backstory, there's someone who looks somewhat like Wes or hungry Wolfgang.

Wolfgang worked in the same circus as Maxwell. It's also implied that Wolfgang was the son of farmers (based on pitchfork examination) and was a communist (from his hammer examination). Kevin has also definitely said that Wolfgang's hunger mechanic relates to his backstory, although he never expanded on how.

Webber was a child who was eaten whole by a spider. He survived (after being revived, at least). His father likely was rich as he was said to wear a top hat and have goats, which seems to suggest he owned a lot of land. There was also something about his grandfather mentioned too...

Wendy's twin sister died under mysterious circumstances. It's implied that she is related to Maxwell in some way due to feeling "kinship" with him. Despite being the youngest (well, maybe 2nd youngest with Webber now) she knows a great deal about literature and is well read.

I can't remember any quotes to support it but I think it was implied somewhere that Willow burnt down her house with her family, although I can't remember any quotes to support it.

It's possible that Woodie is somehow related to Charlie's Canadian sister, maybe married or something. Lucy might even be her sister. This one more than anything is speculation, but it's rather odd that Canada would suddenly be mentioned in the lore of the game when the first and only Canadian character appeared.

Wigfried is, of course, a method actress. In general it's hard to say anything for sure about her, since she's almost always in character, save for one or two quotes.

There's not actually that much known about Wickerbottom as a person besides her being a very knowledgeable librarian, and her using Ms. instead of Miss or Mrs.

Again, there's not too much to say about Wx78 that isn't anything more than speculation.

The only presented lore is Wilson's and Maxwell's.  Everyone else's lore is inferred through hints, mostly.

And who's to say Klei couldn't make a comic that would somehow introduce Pyro into the world?  I'd laugh if Pyro was one of the only characters that had an actual presented lore.

He could even be a placeholder so we don't actually figure it out too. 

It would be neat if there was a character in development that underwent changes with sanity like Pyro does, and they're using Pyro as a placeholder to aggressively shove hints in our faces. 

I forgot to hit post before switching to another tab so I've been writing this post for over 12 hours. I have talent. 

The only presented lore is Wilson's and Maxwell's.  Everyone else's lore is inferred through hints, mostly.

And who's to say Klei couldn't make a comic that would somehow introduce Pyro into the world?  I'd laugh if Pyro was one of the only characters that had an actual presented lore.

How is Wolfgang's lore any less presented than Maxwell's? It was shown in the very same series of puzzles that Maxwell's lore was. If you're going to disregard it was hints then you're going to have to do the same with Maxwell's.

Maxwell- "That jerk tricked us."

Maxwell Statue- "That's the guy who said he could help us."

Seeds- "Small life trapped within. My sympathies."

It seems Webber was trapped in the spider before Maxwell found him.

Personally, I don't see it like that. It could be argued for Wilson that he was tricked and Maxwell said he could help, and the seeds are irrelevant to when it happened.

Personally, I don't see it like that. It could be argued for Wilson that he was tricked and Maxwell said he could help, and the seeds are irrelevant to when it happened.

I'm pretty sure everyone was "persuaded" by Maxwell in some way to build his' door so they could be sucked in and used as puppets for Maxwell and "them". Also, I was implying that Webber was trapped (because if you were trapped in a situation, wouldn't you most likely need help?) in a spider before Maxwell swooped him up to Don't Starve. I also was using the seeds because Webber has sympathy for something else meaning he must've been trapped in the spider for some time. 

I'm pretty sure everyone was "persuaded" by Maxwell in some way to build his' door so they could be sucked in and used as puppets for Maxwell and "them". Also, I was implying that Webber was trapped (because if you were trapped in a situation, wouldn't you most likely need help?) in a spider before Maxwell swooped him up to Don't Starve. I also was using the seeds because Webber has sympathy for something else meaning he must've been trapped in the spider for some time. 

Well, if he was dead when you found him (I assume he died and then a spider ate his corpse from which you get his skull) I presume he would have been on the island for some time. Anyway, I can totally understand where you're coming from, and on this particular case I think it's up to interpretation.

I expect that Webber's references to his dad working on mechanics means that Maxwell was getting his dad to build the door.

I expect that Webber's references to his dad working on mechanics means that Maxwell was getting his dad to build the door.

Why would Webber's Dad do that. And Maxwell isn't a serious full-on "bad guy" he's a "bad guy" but also wants the best. And even in the backstory if Maxwell had a child, Webber would've found out and told people "My dad can mess with shadows!" and there would've been a noticeable thing some puzzles about Webber being Maxwell's son.

Why would Webber's Dad do that. And Maxwell isn't a serious full-on "bad guy" he's a "bad guy" but also wants the best. And even in the backstory if Maxwell had a child, Webber would've found out and told people "My dad can mess with shadows!" and there would've been a noticeable thing some puzzles about Webber being Maxwell's son.

Because how could Webber build a door as a kid, and he already said his dad was working with alchemy and such.

How is Wolfgang's lore any less presented than Maxwell's? It was shown in the very same series of puzzles that Maxwell's lore was. If you're going to disregard it was hints then you're going to have to do the same with Maxwell's.

Okay, fine.  Let's include Wolfgang too.  What is that, 3 characters?  Out of 11?  That's a whole lot.

Archived