Patch Notes - Rev 102535 May 23, 2014

man, moleholes drop rocks(or gold etc) so it's good that they rebuild homes...but rabbit holes don't drop anything....so why they will rebuilt home...the DS world won't make rabbits make homes just to place them near you...

man, moleholes drop rocks(or gold etc) so it's good that they rebuild homes...but rabbit holes don't drop anything....so why they will rebuilt home...the DS world won't make rabbits make homes just to place them near you...

Yeah but don't you feel guilty for leaving a rabbit burrowless?

102572 was just pused for me on Steam. Any change log for this?

No, but the mod worldgen crash was fixed via a workaround, so I guess that's all the update is about.

@SethR

The inability of accessing configuration data in worldgen (in particular, the removal of MODCONFIG from the worldgen mod environment) is a weekend workaround to fix the crash, right? I don't mean to be blunt (and believe me when I say I'm really glad the crash has been addressed), but if this is a permanent solution it makes the mod configuration support somewhat useless. You do intend to ammend this shortly by solving the issue in the proper manner, right? Where by "proper manner" I mean removing the dependency on the BRANCH variable (or exposing it at worldgen, but I don't really think mod configuration needs to be split across branches) and on TheSim:GerPersistentString, by caching the configuration string (i.e., the output of the serialization of the configuration table) as part of the JSON object passed along to worldgen.

EDIT: Actually, if removing the dependency on TheSim:GetPersistentString by caching the configuration table, it doesn't matter if BRANCH will still be used or not, since the data will only be read from the filesystem when it's not cached.

No, but the mod worldgen crash was fixed via a workaround, so I guess that's all the update is about.

Are you able to generate a fresh cloudrealm on the 'stable' or 'dev' branches? I've getting a SaveIndex crash on generation, on the 'dev' branch on my Mac.

Are you able to generate a fresh cloudrealm on the 'stable' or 'dev' branches? I've getting a SaveIndex crash on generation, on the 'dev' branch on my Mac.

Working fine for me, 'dev' branch. I created a new world, spawned in a beanstalk, climbed it and all went fine. I haven't tested the others branches.

Working fine for me, 'dev' branch. I created a new world, spawned in a beanstalk, climbed it and all went fine. I haven't tested the others branches.

It must have been a fluke, probably just my mac being angry.

@SethR

Thank you very, very much for addressing this major issue. Mod authors can breath a sigh of relief.

• Developer

Updated the OP, but here's the changes in the hotfix just now:

Hotfix Rev 102572

• Fix crash occurring at world gen with mods enabled.
  • Fix crash occurring when a food with health or hunger penalties applied to it is eaten.

I understand that the one night of being unable to use mods at world gen time was frustrating and I apologize for the inconvenience it caused. That said, please remember that when bugs get introduced to the game, it's not done deliberately, it's not done out of negligence, and it's not done as an attack on mod makers or to suggest that we don't care about modders or mod users. If that was the case, we wouldn't be having this issue in the first place, because yesterday's update wouldn't have contained the things that it did.

As with any large and complex piece of software, bugs WILL happen but I think we have a pretty good track record with addressing the issues in a timely fashion when they DO crop up. Sometimes the fixes are intermediary ones (like the fix for mods/world gen crash) that are made to unblock 99% of players who actually use mods, with a more robust fix coming afterwards. Sometimes it makes more sense to wait a bit longer to get a hotfix out than it does to roll back. Please trust that when we make decisions (i.e. about when to release a patch, if we should roll back a patch, etc etc), we're not doing so arbitrarily. There are always multiple factors to consider and the process isn't as straightforward as it may seem--for rolling back, it's not "just a mouse click". We care about getting the game back to a relatively stable state ASAP. Rest assured, we will implement the "full" fix in time. Thanks for understanding. Have a good rest of the weekend.

• Developer

Please read the OP. This has to do with a worldgen bug.

@SethR I assume you haven't fixed the "crockpot food occasionally instantly becoming rot" bug, right?

I haven't been able to repro this bug myself recently. Do you have repro steps that I can try? If it's still around, I'd like to squash it!

I understand that the one night of being unable to use mods at world gen time was frustrating and I apologize for the inconvenience it caused. That said, please remember that when bugs get introduced to the game, it's not done deliberately, it's not done out of negligence, and it's not done as an attack on mod makers or to suggest that we don't care about modders or mod users. If that was the case, we wouldn't be having this issue in the first place, because yesterday's update wouldn't have contained the things that it did.

No one claimed this was a deliberate attack on the modding community. Klei's willingness to support and aid the modding community is self evident and proven by an extensive track record. What we (or at least I) claimed is that an attack against the modding community, albeit an unintended one, was a side effect of the changes not having been rolled back after the issue was discovered.

Nevertheless, now the problem is fixed, and for that I thank you greatly. Especially considering it is the middle of the weekend.

I haven't been able to repro this bug myself recently. Do you have repro steps that I can try? If it's still around, I'd like to squash it!

Sure. DebugSpawn in all the food ingredients you can, and just make lots and lots of crockpot foods.

It's seemingly random whether it instarots. With any luck, it'll happen eventually.

Awesome news for you guys. So everything is working now? If there are any issues with mods, it's got nothing to do with the update on Friday now?

Yes, everything is working. Any issues with mods in this update should be the modder's fault.

then if you dig rabbit hole, it just make the rabbit leave but i you wait, he will recreate it(indestructible and respawn rabbits)

So what's the difference with the mole then? You can keep digging up burrows for minerals and random stuff the mole has found over and over as we know moles now remake burrows.

Digging up a rabbit hole only gets you a rabbit. Which isn't broken as we already place traps next to holes to farm them.

What I'm saying is if you didn't kill the rabbit after you dug up its hole, the rabbit will make a new hole after a while. I can't see how this would break things as already right now in vanilla I have chests upon chests worth of rabbits.

They fixed the mods crashing during world gen issue now.

Yep, but a solution to the problem that guy is having?

Would a verify cache or uninstall all mods and install mods one by one work? Or is there something more to it than that?

Would a verify cache or uninstall all mods and install mods one by one work? Or is there something more to it than that?

What we know about it is the following (posted by @Cheerio, one of Klei's devs):

I just thought I'd let you guys know regarding people being unable to download Up and Away. This doesn't look like it's a problem specific to Up and Away or Don't Starve. We found complaints on other games forums about players having the same issue with the Steam Workshop in general ever since the Steam outage. We will contact Steam about it but unfortunately it doesn't seem like it's something we can fix on our side.

What we know about it is the following (posted by @Cheerio, one of Klei's devs):

I just thought I'd let you guys know regarding people being unable to download Up and Away. This doesn't look like it's a problem specific to Up and Away or Don't Starve. We found complaints on other games forums about players having the same issue with the Steam Workshop in general ever since the Steam outage. We will contact Steam about it but unfortunately it doesn't seem like it's something we can fix on our side.

Figured that was the case. Thanks mate.

Archived