Pity the Giants?

First off, let me start off by saying that I'm NOT one of those people that say "everything wants a hug".

I've just recently looked in deep to the four giants and thought "There's got to be a reason for the four baddies to be so aggresive". Then I thought of a reason for each. Think about it. Deerclops is myopic (near-sighted), while being in a blurry Winter, AND being so darn tall. Deerclops's vision might be tricking it into thinking that everything around it is a threat, and thus it thinks it's fighting off it's OWN dangers, of course while showing it's tough side. Deerclops might be hibernating the whole year, and Winter is it's rise and shine. Goose seems to be in the middle of reproduction, and the only way it's eggs will hatch is through a thunderstorm, struck by lightning. So what better time to pick then the stormy Spring? Maybe Goose are so rare because they are endangered, and Goose is agressive to everything that could be a potential threat to her and her (upcoming) babies. Pigs don't seem to see the Goose as an initial threat, meaning it is the most "innocent" of the four giants. Bearger is obviously preparing for hiBEARnation, frantically searching for any and every food for the upcoming Winter. It gets angry because it might be fearing that you will take all of it's food, and it needs it's sustenance for it's three month sleep. Dragonflys might have a short life span, since they ARE part fly. They are probably born from the beginning heat of the Summer. That's why it appears near the end of Summer; because it has reached adult-hood, and is able to feed and defend for itself. Either that, or it's just starving, like you or me. It's fiery nature might also not help with it's quick temper, and it probably just wants to be left alone.

So, if these ARE legit reasons for the giants to be so outright mad, should we pity these giants? Do they deserve to die, or are they just trying to live like us? Should we just leave them alone and be at peace? Maybe the line that bests fits situations such as these would be "survival of the fittest". Then again, that one line best suits all of Don't Starve.

A stack of gunpowder. It's the only giant whose loot won't burn, so you can go crazy.

And Street Fighter, I assume?

Nitre is quite important, especially since you encounter the fiery demon in Summer, so I wouldn't spend so much Nitre.

I'm guessing we've forgotten Captain Falcon's famous Falcon Punch?

Not my fault he's so up-blowable either.

There's only two reasons to spend nitre, endo firepits and gunpowder. Just build an endo firepit wherever you plan to fight the beast when it comes, and a few around the map to minimize the number of endo campfires you need to make.

He was talking about killing you.

Which i may or may not support since the dragonfly is clearly the best giant (And no, im not using sarcasm)

Unfortunately, he's also the best at burning everything, which is why I have a grudge against him. As I wrote in another thread, I tried to leave him alone, but he followed me to my base off-screen and burned it down. Twice. And killed me once. So, now he dies.

As for being the best, I like them all. But any giant following me needs to die. Only the Moose survives, because it minds its own business.

Unfortunately, he's also the best at burning everything, which is why I have a grudge against him. As I wrote in another thread, I tried to leave him alone, but he followed me to my base off-screen and burned it down. Twice. And killed me once. So, now he dies.

As for being the best, I like them all. But any giant following me needs to die. Only the Moose survives, because it minds its own business.

Moosegoose attacks me on sight.

Dragonfly may burn your base down, but in reality, he is just trying to eat (It's called Don't Starve) some ashes, who knows how long it has been since last he had eaten when you find him. And he is making your base look better (Black is all the rage these days.... may have sounded racist but not intended to) and how do you know that the Dragonfly knows any better?

But thanks to the power of MAGIC, err, the power of Da Forums this has somehow managed to not turn into a heated argument. (or flame war)

MGoose attacks you if you get into her business, she doesn't follow you around to wreck your **** up like the others. I'm very much like her. ^^

Just give her a wide enough berth and you're clear.

And no, no heated argument, just a civilized conversation. Well, threats of murder from your side excluded. :grin:

If only you could talk to the monsters ...

I have the most pity for Bearbumsger. Poor thing just wants a good meal.  He's just too cute when he's eating.  Makes me a bit sad that you can't directly offer something to make him feel better. 

Dragonfly just has some sever anger issues. It needs some kind of therapy.

Moosegoose attacks me on sight.

Dragonfly may burn your base down, but in reality, he is just trying to eat

Well isn't that odd... on my console command mess-around world, when I spawn Goose, it won't attack unless you get TOO close. If you get close enough for it too NOTICE you, it'll stand still, raising it's ears (maybe because it's scared). If you ever encounter Goose again, leave it be. Either that, or SLOWLY inch your way towards it and see if it stands still. You'll know it notices you while standing still if it occasionally bites at it's back, wimpering. Get too close, though, and Goose'll call you a threat.

As for Dragonfly, who doesn't wanna be alone when busy? It'll sleep when it eats enough, so just drop 10 pinecones. It'll leave you alone (maybe). Still a quick-tempered jerk, though.

Would be nice if you could craft a pair of dragonfly wings to wear on your character that would grant you temporary immunity from his attacks..of course you would probably have to kill several just to make them..still would be cool  :p

MGoose attacks you if you get into her business, she doesn't follow you around to wreck your **** up like the others. I'm very much like her. ^^

Just give her a wide enough berth and you're clear.

That's why I love that Goose. :-) Haven't noticed that getting slightly close to her will cause her to stop in her tracks and stare? She'll even bite at her back and whimper occasionally. So that DOES mean she's just scared. Just don't get TOO close. Also, I'm deciding to call it a female, with the body of a female Moose and the head of a male Goose.

Also, which season do YOU think has the best soundtrack?

Would be nice if you could craft a pair of dragonfly wings to wear on your character that would grant you temporary immunity from his attacks..of course you would probably have to kill several just to make them..still would be cool :p

Don't we already have fireproof Scalemail?

Archived