Don't Starve Sanity Ideas

Im all for people keeping their sanity separate, I like the idea of crazy players stabbing at nothing in the air for sane players and I like the idea of players freaking out like 'A terrorbeaks attacking me!' and no one but other insane enough players can help them

Yeah there are some problems with it since nightmare fuel and fires would disappear out of nowhere, but things can be tweaked. Collective sanity does sound interesting but in practice I don't think it would work out that well, people playing characters with high base sanitys are then left with having to basically babysit everyone.

I think keeping separate character sanity would make them flesh out the sanity mechanic more where as the collective sanity thing just seems sort of a way to go "Ok! We've solved multiplayer sanity issues forever! Without having actually doing much, good job everyone we can go home"

I've sort of suggested this in a thread somewhere else, but insane players could maybe see sane players as hallucinations, so there's a chance someone might attack another player because they see them as an enemy. It would encourage other players to help insane players out as well as people to communicate if they're going insane or not.

Plus the idea of "STOP HITTING ME DUDE ITS ALL IN YOUR HEAD" being yelled at an insane player makes me very happy

I pretty much agree with all the stuff Dreamer said above. Having a sanity pool that everyone shares sounds fanciful, but in practice it wouldn't work well. The idea of having to make yourself go insane to perhaps help another crazy person out is great, and/or if they add some way for sane players to boost insane players sanity somehow without going insane themselves would be fun as well. I think what would be interesting though is soft of a insanity spawn for shadows.

Lets say ya best friend goes totally coocoo. They are so low on sanity pills that they are literally getting attacked by those nasty things, now lets say you can help them out by going insane too and joining in. Well, besides the shadows you spawn, I think it would be neater, *and more challenging* if more shadows could be spawned based on the number of characters in very close proximity to each other. Of course, there would need to be some way to stop this from being farmed like heck for nightmare fuel to ridiculous levels, and caps need to be set on the shadows, but imagine it, 5 people in a group, 3 end up really insane, loads of shadows everywhere, and the other 2 sane people have to help out the crazies somehow.

Going off a bit from there, I think that if a certain amount of characters stay insane for too long, it could have the chance of spawning a major shadow like boss. How long it takes depends on the number of loonies, likewise. Nightmare Shade, for lack of a creative name. If the insane characters stay insane for even longer and still survive Nightmare shade, then it would be brilliant if the the boss could start to show up to other people, even if they have perfect sanity, soft of like the idea that the collective insanity of the insane people has been going on for too long, really bad things start to happen to everyone else. I'm not sure how it could be implemented or anything, but just think about it. You're on a team of 10 and 5 people have utterly lost it. the other 5 are seriously trying to help the others for the longest of times, but wait a minute, what's that large creature over there? That can't possibly happen i'm totally sane! Oh heck it's attacking me aaarrrrrgh!

The surprise the sane players would have would be hilarious, for sure. 

a Sanity Pool puts more emphasis on group unity. It also provides a struggle that creates more differences between playthroughs and group dynamics, especially when combined with Sanity Auras. Do you ostracize the insane character for bringing down you and/or other characters, claiming that they're more dangerous than the insane environment they're causing- or do you attempt to care for them, making sanity a group project? The choice is yours, and this can help increase the replayability of the game

"The choice is yours..." Oh damn, he's good!

I love this idea, but it should be an option in the world set up screen for those who disagree.

Coming back to this topic. I appreciate the discussion here, both in favor of my idea and against it. Whatever the devs choose to do, I strongly believe that sanity is one of the best things they can nit-pick and fine-tune in order to create the most interesting and unique multiplayer experience.

Here's what I think.

I think that each player should have their own sanity but when one character is insane, only the hallucinations should be visible to the insane player. Where the sane player would see the player doing Insane things also, I think the Sanity drain/gain aura around players is a good idea, since almost every hostile mob has one

Here's what I think.

I think that each player should have their own sanity but when one character is insane, only the hallucinations should be visible to the insane player. Where the sane player would see the player doing Insane things also, I think the Sanity drain/gain aura around players is a good idea, since almost every hostile mob has one

Archived