No increased difficulty

125 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see increasing difficulty ?

• No.
    • Yes, but only for giants and such.
    • Yes, but as an option in the World customization screen.
    • Yes.

Hmm, I can't see it being too difficult to coordinate ~4 people in all fairness, we're all after the same goal after all: To Survive.

But I see your point how some people may run off and do their own thing but at times when people are in fact working together, which I imagine will be most of the time, then everything instantly becomes a breeze to kill, caution & careful planning is no longer necessary, you can just zerg the entire game.

Wrong, you are not getting it at all, if you zerg everyone dies.  What is keeping you from getting stun locked and killed all the same when you rush in beserk?  That everyone else is scrambling for surviving and not helping you fight against the sporadically agroing creatures that are ripping you to shreds.  This is a mentality that I feel will quickly fall away when people attempt it and don't last a week. 

Hmm, I can't see it being too difficult to coordinate ~4 people in all fairness, we're all after the same goal after all: To Survive.

But I see your point how some people may run off and do their own thing but at times when people are in fact working together, which I imagine will be most of the time, then everything instantly becomes a breeze to kill, caution & careful planning is no longer necessary, you can just zerg the entire game.

Most of the game? I don´t think so. If it´s an open world, then everyone should have the opportunity to go and do their own thing. And even if you do stay in a group, some people might not want to fight a spider den, what then? Your on your own fighting a normal, but ridiculously overpowered spider. It would be impossible. 

Also, do you really think everyone is going to be online all of the time? What if my friends don´t play the game for a week, do I have to wait so I can do anything?

Most of the game? I don´t think so. If it´s an open world, then everyone should have the opportunity to go and do their own thing. And even if you do stay in a group, some people might not want to fight a spider den, what then? Your on your own fighting a normal, but ridiculously overpowered spider. It would be impossible.

Also, do you really think everyone is going to be online all of the time? What if my friends don´t play the game for a week, do I have to wait so I can do anything?

You're just repeating yourself, If you read before I said why not make it vicinity based, its not a perfect solution. But I'd rather that than this game becoming cull simultator 2014

You're just repeating yourself, If you read before I said why not make it vicinity based, its not a perfect solution. But I'd rather that than this game becoming cull simultator 2014

Sorry, can´t remember what I´ve written.

Even if it is vicinity based, if I´m fighting a giant and there´s a player close by who doesn´t want to help, it would be impossible.

I honestly don´t see it like you do. I don´t think that the world is going to be that easily dominated. For example: even if you are taking down something like a tentacle with a group, it still has the potential of killing you very easily with a few hits. Also, there is the individual challenge of everyone having to manage their own hud and I know you said that "Oh well, we´ll just make farms". Do you know how hard and long that´s going to take? To have a farm that satisfies even just four people everyday is not going to be easy as you think. There´s also sanity to take in account. 

And think about stuff like hounds and spiders, they all spread out and attack people individually. They would split you up.

It's my initial intent in a multiplayer game (with my friends so there's no threat of sabotage) that we each go our seperate ways to insure faster and more diverse resource gathering, and to plan meet ups at an ideal base location (whoever finds it and is agreed upon by the team as a good spot) So the idea of teaming up to take down giants and dens is definitely gonna happen but its not a prioritized objective and with out proper weapons and armor is gonna most likely be challenging if not just an immense drain on vital resources (healing salves, food and the time and sanity it drains.)  

I just don't think, and I could very well be wrong, that its gonna be such an effortless breeze to do these things in a group even though you'll still have to go about it in pretty much the same manner as if you were alone.  One word comes to mind, hubris. 

I must disagree, I don't want a multiplayer which is hard because we spend all day everyday scavenging for food off monsters which no longer pose any threat. As a team we should be just as cautious taking down a large spider nest as when taking one down on single player. Otherwise PVE will just become a chore rather than an exciting high-risk, high-reward experience.

That's singleplayer after some time

I see one very easier way to balance everything: balance singleplayer.

it's already too easy to Not Starve, the fights are just about kiting and armour is too powerful(not counting the fact that, for a world that "hates you" the worlds I've played seem to like me a lot, and only kill me by accident)

if food is made harder to come by in SP(like it should be), fights are made harder and more dangerous and the world is made more hazardous(is that how you spell it?), SP and MP would be in perfect harmony(and if you don't like a world that really "hates you", you shouldn't have bought the game  use the world settings to make it easy)

I would like it if multilayer did get more challenging. If it was really as simple as running off and seeing the other occasional person every several days, I might as well play single player.

A larger variety of monsters would be excellent, for starters, with different attack patterns.

Also, make seasons harder, or at least have the option to.

I only really have trouble with summer, but I am getting better, as one would expect, but winter, autumn and spring just seem rather easy now to me....Well, especially autumn and spring. If there were more dangerous obstacles to overcome, more things that could destroy me, make resources in terms of food more difficult to obtain and so on, then that would be one heck of a time, especially with people working together. However, I do think some things would work better if there was a option for it, so those who would like a little easier ride could do so if they wished. But multilayer really needs to be more challenging then single, or else everyone might just go off and not starve together at all.

What do you mean?

The gameplay doesn't define whether a game is single player or multi-player, the amount of people playing the game does.

I think he means that after a while in single-player, you conquer the challenges the world shoots at you, to the point where the only challenge left is making sure you have food everyday. 

What do you mean?

The gameplay doesn't define whether a game is single player or multi-player, the amount of people playing the game does.

Also, I agree with the fact that he says that the lack of supplies in the world makes fights harder. Not enough amour for everyone or food to regenerate health, hunger and sanity after fights. 

Also, I agree with the fact that he says that the lack of supplies in the world makes fights harder. Not enough amour for everyone or food to regenerate health, hunger and sanity after fights. 

I didn't thought of that, but you're right. The same amount of ressources for three more players will make surviving harder, you being peaceful or not.

look around, there's food o'plenty. enough to fill the bellies of every forum member's family.

look around, there's food o'plenty. enough to fill the bellies of every forum member's family.

Really? Remember that with this idea, you would all have to stick desperately in a group because everything would be ridiculously overpowered to take on single-handedly. Meaning that you wouldn´t be able to spread out and look for food and resources in different areas. 

God, do you guys just hate independence?

Really? Remember that with this idea, you would all have to stick desperately in a group because everything would be ridiculously overpowered to take on single-handedly. Meaning that you wouldn´t be able to spread out and look for food and resources in different areas. 

God, do you guys just hate independence?

4 farm plots (one for each player) growing Dragon Fruit plus a Twig farm = Dragon Pie when 1 Dragon Fruit + 3 Twigs are used in a crock pot. Dash a Bird Cage in there and you have an infinite supply of one of the best foods in game.

Food is not a problem.

Can I ask for a "Yes by default with capability to turn off in world customization" option? I feel that "Yes as an option" implies that increased difficulty isn't going to be the default, which is where I'd want to put my vote alongside an option for those who don't desire it to turn it off. It matches the base game's sense of wanting to be difficult but being able to turn off some of the things that you either don't like or don't feel that you're ready for.

I also imagine that if many changes and new additions that increased difficulty would be turned off by default, there would be too little incentive for Klei to put much effort into it, as opposed to making a very challenging default setting and allowing people to turn them off if needed.

I don't really like it when the only way to make something more difficult by yourself is to make enemies hit harder or have more health, and I would find it a lot more interesting if Don't Starve Together had some specific enemies that tackled players in a way that could only be done with multiplayer. Think hallucinations of other players that act awfully convincing or anything that could be done differently in multiplayer without just tweaking a text file for a basic parameter.

I can see that some have said that it would be a lot more difficult to have to expend resources on multiple players, but this also does come with a few assumptions: That a player will have a hard time sustaining themselves due to increased resource pressure, and that there's going to be no change in world generation to allow more resources to spawn. I don't think either of these are entirely certain. I myself don't cover a crazy amount of ground in-game, but I don't have too many problems getting a surplus of food to the point where I have to actively limit what I gather so I don't end up with a ton of wasted effort for a bunch of meals that end up spoiling.

I understand that not everyone would be able to do that, but I will also say that when a single person can feed themselves and bring out plenty of meals that will otherwise spoil when left untouched for other players, I wouldn't necessarily guarantee that people would feel more pressure as far as resources are concerned.

Maybe if they live next to each other, there'd be issues, but even then there are times where I have to decide between killing a bunch of Werepigs or heading into a Deciduous Forest to get a crazy amount of mushrooms and a bit of meat, both of which would sustain me for a long while. A few more hungry players would not be something I'd view as a particular concern in this situation.

Granted, if there was PvP involved, it would make things a little more tricky, but then you could also say that in a theoretical long-term Don't Starve PvP game, it would be interesting to see how you could make your enemy.... starve.

4 farm plots (one for each player) growing Dragon Fruit plus a Twig farm = Dragon Pie when 1 Dragon Fruit + 3 Twigs are used in a crock pot. Dash a Bird Cage in there and you have an infinite supply of one of the best foods in game.

Food is not a problem.

Four farm plots? One for each player? To satisfy both Hunger and Sanity? Good luck with that. 

Sure that farming technique is efficient, I´m not doubting that, but let´s just remind ourselves not everyone is an expert. Also, it´s going to take you a while to get all of those resources, how you are not going to starve before that?

Food is a problem. If you all HAVE to stick together, like literally not be able to run off screen like people are saying here, then it´s basically one person feeding four mouths.   

Four farm plots? One for each player? To satisfy both Hunger and Sanity? Good luck with that. 

Sure that farming technique is efficient, I´m not doubting that, but let´s just remind ourselves not everyone is an expert. Also, it´s going to take you a while to get all of those resources, how you are not going to starve before that?

Food is a problem. If you all HAVE to stick together, like literally not be able to run off screen like people are saying here, then it´s basically one person feeding four mouths.

With four players it will become even easier to set up a self sustaining base. If I were to play casually I would have a base set up with a few farm plots and crock pot by around day 12 (I chose day 12 just for preference as a target).

I spend most of the early days exploring the map and hoarding the "important" resources. With 2-4 players we can cover more ground, gather more resources and have a base set up even sooner.

You only need one guy who is "knowledgeable" who can quickly explain to the rest of the team what to do and how to do it. A lobby with a chat box would be necessary for that if you don't want to waste ingame time dishing out jobs.

All is explained in my guide. Check it out in my signature.

With four players it will become even easier to set up a self sustaining base. If I were to play casually I would have a base set up with a few farm plots and crock pot by around day 12 (I chose day 12 just for preference as a target).

I spend most of the early days exploring the map and hoarding the "important" resources. With 2-4 players we can cover more ground, gather more resources and have a base set up even sooner.

You only need one guy who is "knowledgeable" who can quickly explain to the rest of the team what to do and how to do it. A lobby with a chat box would be necessary for that if you don't want to waste ingame time dishing out jobs.

All is explained in my guide. Check it out in my signature.

That´s exactly my point, you can´t cover more ground, you can´t separate at all from what the people in these forums are saying. If you leave, you´ll be massacred because everything will be overpowered. You would all literally have to be on the same screen, you would essentially one person feeding four mouths.

That´s exactly my point, you can´t cover more ground, you can´t separate at all from what the people in these forums are saying. If you leave, you´ll be massacred because everything will be overpowered. You would all literally have to be on the same screen, you would essentially one person feeding four mouths.

Huh? Please elaborate. What do you mean you can't separate and cover more ground alone? Who said you have to Rambo everything. Even when I play alone I never engage any type of monster early on. You don't have time to be messing around killing everything you see.

Besides I doubt Klei will buff monster health and attack without buffing character base stats. You have to look at things from both sides. You can't base your entire argument on the fact that monsters will be insanely tough to kill in a 2-4 man team and even if they were insane to fight alone, like I said, we avoid them.

I agree that multiplayer shouldn't be made harder just because, and in a separate way from singleplayer. I believe that both should be made harder in a way that multiplayer doesn't feel too easy and singleplayer doesn't feel too hard(some examples could be: making starving a  thing again, giving boss mobs more attacks that could make a 1vs1 fight just as hard as a 2v1 by them having long range attacks and multi-focus or something like that, and more hatred from the world in general)

buffing health and damage(aside for the mobs that really should get a buff, if they're unbalanced) would just add up to artificial difficulty, while not making the game any better. If a mob gets more damage and health, only means you're going to have to kite him more, and use more football helmets. But if you have to fight dangerous things(with dangerous long range and hard to kite attacks) just to be able to survive(STARVING), then the game will feel harder, both in singleplayer(because we need that) and multiplayer(specially because, if starving becomes a real fear, then it will be pure chaos to feed a 2-4 group, no matter how well skilled you are)

gods, how I hate when I start a small response, and it turns into a giant rant.....

Archived