No increased difficulty

125 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see increasing difficulty ?

• No.
    • Yes, but only for giants and such.
    • Yes, but as an option in the World customization screen.
    • Yes.

Would you not agree this is such a stale way to keep the game difficult? Don't Starve will become the Tim Burton equivalent of farming simulator... 

Farm all day, monsters now a joke.

Farm all day, monsters now a joke.

At some point in single-player the game does become that. Whenever anything big attacks, I use beefalo and done. And giants, most of the time I just lure them away from my base and ignore them.

But still, you are under the impression that you are going to be with players ALL of the time. What happens if players disconnect, do I have wait for them to be online again  because I need their help to kill one normal spider? And what if I want to do my own thing and be independent? It would be impossible, because everything would be ridiculously overpowered.

Also, I still think monsters will be a challenge even with people. Because one; (like I said) you are not always going to be with friends that can help you. Second; even with friends,  the monsters would still be a challenge. Treeguards and Giants still all have a crazy amount of health and could still easily kill players. Hounds would probably end up dispersing players, attacking them individually. Also, freezing and heat is always going be a challenge.

@Deceiven I wouldn't say it's the best way, but it's a suggestion and any suggestion is good as long as it's thought through, which has "sort of" gone in here :-)

Yeah fair enough, just for me combat is a major part of Don't Starve, I enjoy the challenge, whether it's a giant on day 50 or a small group spiders on day 1.

At some point in single-player the game does become that. Whenever anything big attacks, I use beefalo and done. And giants, most of the time I just lure them away from my base and ignore them.

But still, you are under the impression that you are going to be with players ALL of the time. What happens if players disconnect, do I have wait for them to be online again  because I need their help to kill one normal spider? And what if I want to do my own thing and be independent? It would be impossible, because everything would be ridiculously overpowered.

Also, I still think monsters will be a challenge even with people. Because one; (like I said) you are not always going to be with friends that can help you. Second; even with friends,  the monsters would still be a challenge. Treeguards and Giants still all have a crazy amount of health and could still easily kill players. Hounds would probably end up dispersing players, attacking them individually. 

Why can't the power of creatures scale with the amount of people in game? And if you want to do your own thing and be independent then why not play single player?

--edit--

Perhaps even monsters scale in power depending on the amount of players in it's vicinity, that way, if someone is on the other side of the map doing their own thing, perhaps because of a PVP server. Then you'd be at no disadvantage.

Why can't the power of creatures scale with the amount of people in game? And if you want to do your own thing and be independent then why not play single player?

Why can't the power of creatures scale with the amount of people in game? I already answered that, so here: "You are under the impression that you are going to be with players ALL of the time. What happens if players disconnect, do I have wait for them to be online again  because I need their help to kill one normal spider?"  

And even if you do wait and you organised a schedule where you both played at the same time, do you honestly expect to be stuck like glue to other players? You are going to need to split up at some point and defend yourself. What if I want to go into a cave, and my friend is too scare to? What if we get lost and we don´t find each other again? What if we fight and we decide to go our separate ways?

I don´t think it´s ridiculous to be able to be independent in MP. In Minecraft for example, do you wish Creepers were overpowered and you NEEDED to be with other people to kill one of them in MP?

Why not singleplayer? MP doesn´t mean being stuck to other players constantly! I would like to be able to go off and do my own thing, and occasionally have encounters with other players, who would trade and maybe, if I like them, join them. 

Why can't the power of creatures scale with the amount of people in game? I already answered that, so here: "You are under the impression that you are going to be with players ALL of the time. What happens if players disconnect, do I have wait for them to be online again  because I need their help to kill one normal spider?"  

And even if you do wait and you organised a schedule where you both played at the same time, do you honestly expect to be stuck like glue to other players? You are going to need to split up at some point and defend yourself. What if I want to go into a cave, and my friend is too scare to? What if we get lost and we don´t find each other again? What if we fight and we decide to go our separate ways?

I don´t think it´s ridiculous to be able to be independent in MP. In Minecraft for example, do you wish Creepers were overpowered and you NEEDED to be with other people to kill one of them in MP?

Why not singleplayer? MP doesn´t mean being stuck to other players constantly! I would like to be able to go off and do my own thing, and occasionally have encounters with other players, who would trade and maybe, if I like them, join them. 

I don't think you understood what I meant, if someone DCed, then everything would scale down whilst they are out of the game.

Anyhow I proposed an alternative, monsters instead scale with players within their vicinity. That it a potentially viable solution. Not the best, but it beats all monsters becoming just pitifully weak if you decide work together. Challenging combat is a huge part of Don't Starve.

Not the best idea but I'll post it anyway. Friendly fire could become thing so then you need to be accurate where you click and not just spam space. Still not a very viable solution, but I'm sure however klei does it will be grand.

All in all though boss mobs should be buffed.

I don't want it to be "balanced" in a way that makes fighting a non-issue and unavoidable starving to death to dance around the idea that it's balanced. (substitute any two trade-offs in that scenario and it still sounds like a lazy way to do it)

--edit--

Perhaps even monsters scale in power depending on the amount of players in it's vicinity, that way, if someone is on the other side of the map doing their own thing, perhaps because of a PVP server. Then you'd be at no disadvantage.

But think about it : you're Webber and play with 3 guys. Think about the huge amount of spiders you can get with only a few pieces of meat. What could it become if each spider's stats are 4 times increased ?

But think about it : you're Webber and play with 3 guys. Think about the huge amount of spiders you can get with only a few pieces of meat. What could it become if each spider's stats are 4 times increased ?

Here's the thing you haven't been thinking about, which would solve a lot of the problems here, these very words: Klei will probably fix that.

All this seems moot, monsters being too easy, the limit on resources, etc.  

Have you ever gone up against a giant or tree guard or spider queen with a fleet of pigs backing you up and notice somehow that you are the only one to walk a way and sometimes without even killing the target?  Maybe its just me because I don't use mods, but adding a few more player level characters will be about the same.  Sure players won't run around aimlessly at dusk, but instead will do whatever else they want that you can't control.  They will still have to use the same stick and move tactic that pigs and mermen use, since this is the essential method to kill things and survive with insanity intact.   Somehow I feel like the unarmored hit of a tentacle will still be a pretty brutal experience without needing any scaling, I've lost many games getting careless will harvesting in a swamp or looking off screen for half a second and taking lethal damage quickly.  I don't see the need for scaling here or understand the arguement for it.  

I would like to think that anyone could prototype at anyone else's structures so sharing cuts down on duplicate resource cost except with things like farms and crockpots that take time to function.  I don't think each player needs their own shadow manipulator or lightening rod to survive as a team.   I see an over abundance of monster meat being a possibility when several players team up and clear a forest of spiders quickly, but this is just as easy to do already with a stack of grass and sticks, a single player can just lure each wave into a set of three or four traps, do this three times in a row and you can then beat the den to death at your leisure and walk away with a stack of meat, glands and web without striking a single spider. 

If they wanted to make spiders more challenging and dangerous for multiplayer they could perhaps add some sort of agro dectector for when more than one player is near and the spiders could team up into a Webber style creature that would be more of a challenge 

--edit--

This:

Have you ever gone up against a giant or tree guard or spider queen with a fleet of pigs backing you up and notice somehow that you are the only one to walk a way and sometimes without even killing the target?  Maybe its just me because I don't use mods, but adding a few more player level characters will be about the same.  Sure players won't run around aimlessly at dusk, but instead will do whatever else they want that you can't control.  They will still have to use the same stick and move tactic that pigs and mermen use, since this is the essential method to kill things and survive with insanity intact.   Somehow I feel like the unarmored hit of a tentacle will still be a pretty brutal experience without needing any scaling, I've lost many games getting careless will harvesting in a swamp or looking off screen for half a second and taking lethal damage quickly.  I don't see the need for scaling here or understand the arguement for it.  

I would like to think that anyone could prototype at anyone else's structures so sharing cuts down on duplicate resource cost except with things like farms and crockpots that take time to function.  I don't think each player needs their own shadow manipulator or lightening rod to survive as a team.   I see an over abundance of monster meat being a possibility when several players team up and clear a forest of spiders quickly, but this is just as easy to do already with a stack of grass and sticks, a single player can just lure each wave into a set of three or four traps, do this three times in a row and you can then beat the den to death at your leisure and walk away with a stack of meat, glands and web without striking a single spider. 

Difficulty will be easier to test accurately, rather than theorize. 

If you walked up and told me there was a giant monster that was part cyclops, who would slash at me with giant ice spikes and destory my base, I would think he is brutal. 

But after watching people kite him without ever taking damage, he doesn't look very hard anymore.

What do you mean? Are you trying to say adding a new player to a game is going to be no more useful than recruiting a pig?

And there's something less rewarding with slaughtering spider den after spider den with ease in comparison to the more fun and satisfying method of setting up traps. At least that way spiderdens aren't a joke.

What do you mean? Are you trying to say adding a new player to a game is going to be no more useful than recruiting a pig?

And there's something less rewarding with slaughtering spider den after spider den with ease in comparison to the more fun and satisfying method of setting up traps. At least that way spiderdens aren't a joke.

I'm saying that adding another player or multiple players to your game will function, in combat, much like an army of pigs, but that's not really my point.  What I'm saying is that adding more people to the environment that are concerned with there own and your survival doesn't make you invincible to the things that are already a potent threat.   

By all means if you want to take down spider dens your way that is fine but its not a justification to scale the entire game for you to do so. 

I'm saying that adding another player or multiple players to your game will function, in combat, much like an army of pigs, but that's not really my point.  What I'm saying is that adding more people to the environment that are concerned with there own and your survival doesn't make you invincible to the things that are already a potent threat.   

By all means if you want to take down spider dens your way that is fine but its not a justification to scale the entire game for you to do so. 

Hmm, I can't see it being too difficult to coordinate ~4 people in all fairness, we're all after the same goal after all: To Survive.

But I see your point how some people may run off and do their own thing but at times when people are in fact working together, which I imagine will be most of the time, then everything instantly becomes a breeze to kill, caution & careful planning is no longer necessary, you can just zerg the entire game.

Archived