Umm...Why is it raining in the caves?

The DLC doesn't focus in caves, so they have no reason to spend any more time with them.

With that logic caves shouldn't be in dlc. Anything that is effected by the dlc should have been focused in the first place. 

As I said before, anyone capable of dealing with the dangers inherent to caving is almost certainly at a point where they can easily deal with adverse weather conditions. Caves are a mid to late game undertaking after you already have basic survival down. Basic survival which would include such things as shelter from the weather. Moving into a cave just to get away from the weather would be a suicidal undertaking for someone truly desperate, but the option should still be possible.

Exactly.

Caves are significantly more difficult than surface weather conditions.

If someone was unable to cope with the surface weather conditions, lack of food/sanity/health, etc. and tried to escape down a cave, they would find their problems just magnified a hundred fold. Your sanity will collapse, your health will be taken in only a few hits from any mob, and good luck finding food down there.

You generally only go into caves when you are already able to survive the surface conditions, and you want something that can only be found in caves (such as a stock of lightbulbs to refuel your miner hats and lanterns).

Exactly.

Caves are significantly more difficult than surface weather conditions.

If someone was unable to cope with the surface weather conditions, lack of food/sanity/health, etc. and tried to escape down a cave, they would find their problems just magnified a hundred fold. Your sanity will collapse, your health will be taken in only a few hits from any mob, and good luck finding food down there.

You generally only go into caves when you are already able to survive the surface conditions, and you want something that can only be found in caves (such as a stock of lightbulbs to refuel your miner hats and lanterns).

On the same line of thought, if the caves are more difficult than the surface weather and someone is going in the caves prepared for this harsh environment, he should have no problem dealing with the attenuated weather in the caves. Why so much complaints, then, about something that we are already able to deal with on the surface when it comes down to dealing with it to in the caves, knowing that weather is much less important in caves than on surface ?

If the only answer is ''because it doesn't make sense'', then I suggest we remove everything in the game that doesn't make sense and I do believe that there won't be much left of Don't Starve besides a really boring game. It will be more realistic, though, of that I am sure!

On the same line of thought, if the caves are more difficult than the surface weather and someone is going in the caves prepared for this harsh environment, he should have no problem dealing with the attenuated weather in the caves. Why so much complaints, then, about something that we are already able to deal with on the surface when it comes down to dealing with it to in the caves, knowing that weather is much less important in caves than on surface ?

If the only answer is ''because it doesn't make sense'', then I suggest we remove everything in the game that doesn't make sense and I do believe that there won't be much left of Don't Starve besides a really boring game. It will be more realistic, though, of that I am sure!

Well, maybe for someone the main reason to complain is lack of sense (i myself think that heat and actual rain in a cave is ridiculous). But thats not all for me and a bunch of other players. And it is not like we can't deal with weather problems, so we escape to Caves. As you mentioned, when you are going for cave exploration - most of the time you already have a set up camp with all means to survive nearly everything. We just do not want to deal with weather in caves. I mean yeah when you start - you are vulnerable to those hazards and survival is interesting. But after a while, with a good base - heat, cold and rains become just a damn nuisanse. At this time it would be nice for a change of pace to go caving, where you are faced with different challenges, but no, even there this stuff keeps getting to you.

There's should be rain but it should less, or in summer it should me hot but not that much

This is already the case. Rain is light, and overheating and freezing are lessened underground.

As for the caves difficulty, they were more difficult than the over world in vanilla, but caves without weather is not more difficult than surface weather. Worms have been nerfed and the moggles add significant advantages. There are also considerably less mob threats in caves than the surface.

Well, maybe for someone the main reason to complain is lack of sense (i myself think that heat and actual rain in a cave is ridiculous). But thats not all for me and a bunch of other players. And it is not like we can't deal with weather problems, so we escape to Caves. As you mentioned, when you are going for cave exploration - most of the time you already have a set up camp with all means to survive nearly everything. We just do not want to deal with weather in caves. I mean yeah when you start - you are vulnerable to those hazards and survival is interesting. But after a while, with a good base - heat, cold and rains become just a damn nuisanse. At this time it would be nice for a change of pace to go caving, where you are faced with different challenges, but no, even there this stuff keeps getting to you.

And that's probably what Maxwell wants us to feel like: his stuff wil always be getting to us, it's called pressure.

I think you made an interesting point in the fact that you (and other players) ''do not want to'' deal with it. As much as it is fair for you to feel that way (we are all different people with different needs/feelings/interests), for now, unfortunately, you will just have to deal with it anyway. At least, as long as there is no mod or no option in the world settings to disable weather in caves!

I am pretty sure that someone will make a mod for that eventually. Perhaps you could suggest it in the mod subforum ? I do not make mods myself but surely someone will be glad to help you with it, at least until Klei decides to adress the issue (if they feel like it needs to be adressed).

Edit: I thought of something else that I haven't mentionned yet that I find interesting about weather in caves: since we have to bring a minimum of equipment to deal with it, it forces us to take additional risks. It's a bit like food: we will rarely starve, but the fact that we need to get food will sometimes force us to take some risks and that is what will kill us. In other words, if we are in the caves with a miner's hat and a puffy vest + heat stone, then we won't be wearing an armor 100% of the time, which means we are more easily subject to a sneaky tentacle (for example) or we'll need to be careful when engaging a monster (put that armor on quickly). Also, we'll have to be more careful with what we bring with us if we are not wearing a backpack, calling for a more cautious ressource management. It might be a bit more ''painful'' for some players (and it would be their right), but I find it more interesting! Still just an opinion, though.

And that's probably what Maxwell wants us to feel like: his stuff wil always be getting to us, it's called pressure.

I think you made an interesting point in the fact that you (and other players) ''do not want to'' deal with it. As much as it is fair for you to feel that way (we are all different people with different needs/feelings/interests), for now, unfortunately, you will just have to deal with it anyway. At least, as long as there is no mod or no option in the world settings to disable weather in caves!

I am pretty sure that someone will make a mod for that eventually. Perhaps you could suggest it in the mod subforum ? I do not make mods myself but surely someone will be glad to help you with it, at least until Klei decides to adress the issue (if they feel like it needs to be adressed).

Well, I really don't think Klei will deal with this (at least right now, or while they are making DS Together, I might be wrong though). I mean even with this "inconvenience" it is still devilishly fun to play. But as I mentioned earlier it cannot be too hard to make such a mod (difficult part is actually fully disabling weather effects in caves, not just "changing insulation to 999" and that can be little tricky). If there are enough players who want that - someone will make a mod eventually. And if not - when I have time - I'll try to make it for myself (as I do really like the caves in original DS - where there was no weather at all) and if that works out - share it with others.

Edit: You have a point - I mean its not like you can't just take a lot of season specific insulation stuff with you into caves, its just that you'll have to sacrifice a lot of inventory space. But that can be countered with mods easily (backpack slot for example). What I really don't like about that mechanic - precisely this fast changing armor\clothes. Not only you have to kite, not to allow mobs stunlock you, but'll have to watch out for overheating\freezing as well and during fights this is annoying as hell (mobs won't wait while you are trying to make a fire, and don't stop attacking you if you change into puffy vest). And just adding an insulation factor to armor, while relatively easy, will just feel too damn cheatish. Maybe i'll think about adding partially heat\cold proof armors to my Fighting Pack, but its a pain to balance recipes\stats right...

This is already the case. Rain is light, and overheating and freezing are lessened underground.

As for the caves difficulty, they were more difficult than the over world in vanilla, but caves without weather is not more difficult than surface weather. Worms have been nerfed and the moggles add significant advantages. There are also considerably less mob threats in caves than the surface.

Okay, thats one point, but that just cover two seasons over four, what about winter and fall?

(Sorry for my bad handwriting a while ago, i was a little sleepy.)

when you don't get jumpy and fight everything, caves are easy... the frost/rain are negligeable and i never get to the caves in summer...the only time i died on caves was i found a 8 tier bunnyhouse setpiece while theyre was in beardlord form....bad luck

Okay, thats one point, but that just cover two seasons over four, what about winter and fall?

(Sorry for my bad handwriting a while ago, i was a little sleepy.)

What about them? I am not sure what you mean. There is no rain in either season, and freezing is lessened as I already stated.

Caves are good the way they are. They were too easy in vanilla.
Now with the weather you have to be a little bit more careful. But they are still so easy to go through once you know what you are doing.
I can spend almost full seasons down there.

If you get rid of the weather effect in the caves they would become easier than the overworld: no giants, no hounds, rock lobster army, light bulb, ...

I kind of understand the rain. For me the raining caves represent something like humidity, since there will be some ways other than the sink hole for the water to drip inside (the constant "light" sources in the mini forest biomes for example), and the lack of sunlight make the caves not to lose water. 

For the cold and heat mechanics is understandable that without a heat source you would eventually freeze if there is snowstorms just some meters above, or you would start to faint to heat if random trees just burst in flames only by being exposed to sunlight.

The DS world is like a normal one, but I think is stretching too far to treat it like ours.

I have spend almost 2 years in game inside caves without problems, finding normally that caves are easier. Balance wise, changing it wouldn't make that much sense

Archived