Umm...Why is it raining in the caves?

There should be at least a reduction of the rainyness in caves, since in my experience, the rain just pladders down on you as if the surface wasn't even there. The wetness factor of it really should be reduced. I personally would even prefer it if it were taken out completely, since having to carry an umbrella around in the caves doesn't make them more challenging, just more annoying.

The rain in caves is always at the lowest precipitation level, so something like an umbrella will cancel out the wetness.

It makes no sense that raining and overheating effects the caves.

I mean you can use an Eyebrella, umbrella, etc. to escape overheating and rain on the surface.

So how come a sheer rock cavern can't keep out the sun and the rain?

It makes zero sense.

I feel that the first level of caves being affected by seasonal effects outside is still fine, but the second level should only be affected by freezing, toned down more or reduce the effects to aesthetics. It really doesn't make sense to have the same intensity of weather effects in the deeper levels.

Does this rain mean that mushrooms in caves regrow after you pick them now? That would actually be kinda cool.

they regrow yes. Takes 10-20 hours of rain to regown. Quite a good way to combat the sanity loss you suffer when down there, provided you can find the mushrooms

I don't think devs leave it the way it is as a challange. I think they leave the rain because balancing it out means extra work.

That might be the case but not if we're basing it on what they've already stated as the reason.

Oh, goody. I thought this was some kind of glitch or something. I mean, why am I overheating in a freaking cave?! I created an account to log a report for something I thought was a bug, but it turns out it's just a "balance" issue. Because it's not like the three or four different spider queens I run into every single time I go in there or the constant Stygian darkness wasn't dangerous enough.

Here I was, thinking I died because of an annoying glitch when I went down there to brave all the horrible monsters and the chance encounters with Charlie for a chance to get out of the heat.

Is there a mod that gets rid of that?

Oh, goody. I thought this was some kind of glitch or something. I mean, why am I overheating in a freaking cave?! I created an account to log a report for something I thought was a bug, but it turns out it's just a "balance" issue. Because it's not like the three or four different spider queens I run into every single time I go in there or the constant Stygian darkness wasn't dangerous enough.

Here I was, thinking I died because of an annoying glitch when I went down there to brave all the horrible monsters and the chance encounters with Charlie for a chance to get out of the heat.

Is there a mod that gets rid of that?

Not that I know of, right now. But it can't be too difficult, since being in the Cave provides some insulation from heat and cold, that means there is a fixed insulation factor somewhere in game files, which when changed will provide full immunity to cold and heat while in Caves. Its a little bit trickier to get rid of rain completely. And if cave insulation changed to absolute values that'll probably stop freezing from Chilled Amulet, which is unbalanced at best. I hope someone will make a mod for that. But if by time I am free from uni project no one done this - I'll try looking into it.

I wouldn't mind seeing overheating or freezing mechanics in caves, but there's gotta be a reason for it as opposed to "we don't want you going underground to escape the weather" which is annoying at best. Maybe introduce sections of glacial cave that are frozen over by the presence of huge chunks of buried ice or sections of cave that have lava running through them in rivers.

I have been a lot in the caves and the ruins (during spring, winter and summer) since RoG was released and in my opinion, things are pretty well balanced as they are right now (as opposed to early RoG).

The constant rain during spring is really not much of an issue as the wetness increases really slowly. You can bring an umbrella, not use it until you reach critical wetness and just make a fire while holding the umbrella and you will dry really quickly. This doesn't need to be done often. The same applies to summer and winter. With the cave heat/cold ''insulation'' bonus, weather is far from a challenge in the caves. It is more a constraint that needs to be worked around, and let's face it, if you can't deal with weather in the caves (which is much easier than on the surface), then you probably won't be able to deal with it on the surface.

Some people are unhappy about weather affecting caves for various reasons, but dealing with it doesn't need a lot of effort and it prevents people from camping the caves to avoid the harshness of the surface weather. Usually, it is not recommended to go in the caves unprepared, weather or not. There are dangerous things to deal with in there and weather is just a small thing that is now added to the list of things you need to be prepared for before going in!

I think it could make a decent mod for those who really dislike weather in caves, but I sincerely hope that the developpers don't remove weather from the caves in the core game. It is a matter of opinion, but I kind of enjoy it the way it is and I am probably not the only person to think that way.

Cheers! =)

But weather in the caves makes no sense. If I want to hide out from the weather in the underground, prepared for the dangers or not, I should be able to. Now, I can understand if my character gets damp from above ground rains trickling through and getting cold that way, but overheating is just overboard.

But weather in the caves makes no sense. If I want to hide out from the weather in the underground, prepared for the dangers or not, I should be able to. Now, I can understand if my character gets damp from above ground rains trickling through and getting cold that way, but overheating is just overboard.

Most of this game is full of things that make even less sense, this is not overboard.

I just find it odd that hanging out in the shade of a tree is sufficient to keep from overheating, but going underground where the sun doesn't even shine does comparatively little to help. It's overboard because it doesn't make sense within the confines of the game's internal logic. It's not consistent, is why I'm irked. If my character can still die from overheating while underground, the entire surface world should be a hellish inferno completely incapable of supporting life.

It'd make sense if there was a visible source of heat that would cause the overheating condition while underground, but there is none.

Maxwell is pulling the strings after all. Perhaps he decided to make things really hot in the caves during summer and really cold during winter to make Wilson's life even harder than it would really be in real caves ? Perhaps all this weather is non natural... He could also make lots of fissure in the rock in order for water to infiltrate in the caves, hell he could even make rain in the caves if he wanted !

My point is, we can always make sense out of things in such a game. Although some logical things should be kept (for example, a fire will heat you up), not everything has to ''make sense'' or be ''as in real life''. The developpers decided that their caves in their game would be like that for balancing purposes mainly (at least for what I understood). Perhaps they could have given some ''lore'' about it, but personally, I don't think it is necessary. Caves are still enjoyable and challenging while still being nowhere near impossible to survive in!

I just find it odd that hanging out in the shade of a tree is sufficient to keep from overheating, but going underground where the sun doesn't even shine does comparatively little to help. It's overboard because it doesn't make sense within the confines of the game's internal logic. It's not consistent, is why I'm irked. If my character can still die from overheating while underground, the entire surface world should be a hellish inferno completely incapable of supporting life.

It'd make sense if there was a visible source of heat that would cause the overheating condition while underground, but there is none.

It does make sense with the game's logic. Standing under a tree reduces the effect of overheating and wetness. Standing in a cave also reduces the effects of overheating and wetness.

It does make sense with the game's logic. Standing under a tree reduces the effect of overheating and wetness. Standing in a cave also reduces the effects of overheating and wetness.

Then why is it still killing me? Standing under a tree is enough to keep the effects from becoming too much, but the moment I walk out from under the tree and into the caves I start overheating and taking damage.

Then why is it still killing me? Standing under a tree is enough to keep the effects from becoming too much, but the moment I walk out from under the tree and into the caves I start overheating and taking damage.

Because the devs want to caves to be an exaggerated version of the surface.

Because the devs want to caves to be an exaggerated version of the surface.

That makes no sense.

I could stomach these changes better if there were some reason for it other than general weirdness. If they wanted it to be exaggerated, they could make it so that the pits of despair were filled with pools of magma during the summer months and giant glacial blocks during the winter. That I could understand within the logic of the game and would actually be pretty cool.

But all of the coolness rated objects (apart from the awesome looking endothermic fires and the the ice based objects) are designed around getting your character out from under the sun. Going underground is taking that to the logical extreme. If the underground was hot enough to charbroil my character, I shouldn't be able to mitigate that by wearing a straw hat and holding a pretty parasol when neither of those should actually be helping.

In that regard, the game's internal logic is inconsistent and it breaks my immersion. Just for the sake of unneeded balance. Any character capable of surviving any depth into the caverns for a significant length of time is going to be more than capable of dealing with adverse weather conditions like overheating or freezing. Ergo, I should be allowed to flee into the caverns and face what horrors I might find in order to find some sort of respite from bad weather.

Though I should probably go onto record and say that, for all my petty ramblings, Don't Starve is probably one of my all time favorite games. Overheating while underground is literally the only gripe I have with this game. Even before RoG I'd already logged over a hundred hours in this game.

That makes no sense.

I could stomach these changes better if there were some reason for it other than general weirdness. If they wanted it to be exaggerated, they could make it so that the pits of despair were filled with pools of magma during the summer months and giant glacial blocks during the winter. That I could understand within the logic of the game and would actually be pretty cool.

But all of the coolness rated objects (apart from the awesome looking endothermic fires and the the ice based objects) are designed around getting your character out from under the sun. Going underground is taking that to the logical extreme. If the underground was hot enough to charbroil my character, I shouldn't be able to mitigate that by wearing a straw hat and holding a pretty parasol when neither of those should actually be helping.

In that regard, the game's internal logic is inconsistent and it breaks my immersion. Just for the sake of unneeded balance. Any character capable of surviving any depth into the caverns for a significant length of time is going to be more than capable of dealing with adverse weather conditions like overheating or freezing. Ergo, I should be allowed to flee into the caverns and face what horrors I might find in order to find some sort of respite from bad weather.

Though I should probably go onto record and say that, for all my petty ramblings, Don't Starve is probably one of my all time favorite games. Overheating while underground is literally the only gripe I have with this game. Even before RoG I'd already logged over a hundred hours in this game.

They simply don't want players skipping season mechanics. Doesn't matter if it makes sense or not. The most sense anything in this game would make is that the DS world is an artificial world controlled by insane super natural beings whose goal is to drive you insane and kill you. That's pretty much all it takes to justify things not making sense for things like this in order to leave more room for balance.

If I wanted to skip the seasonal mechanics, I'd just not play RoG at all. I like the overheating mechanics and having to beat the heat. I just don't think that overheating in a cave system is strictly necessary. It's not balanced. It's overbalanced. Caves are already dangerous enough as it is.

As I said before, anyone capable of dealing with the dangers inherent to caving is almost certainly at a point where they can easily deal with adverse weather conditions. Caves are a mid to late game undertaking after you already have basic survival down. Basic survival which would include such things as shelter from the weather. Moving into a cave just to get away from the weather would be a suicidal undertaking for someone truly desperate, but the option should still be possible.

Archived