Umm...Why is it raining in the caves?

I can understand rain may drop from the holes that daylight comes in but rain in everywhere in the caves? That does not make any sense at all.

Rain in Everywhere In The Cave?

I Never Had This

But That Is Bugs

Is constant raining normal though? o-o

Edit: By that I do mean constant rain. I know caves are supposed to have dripping, but this streamer I'm watching has had trouble with non-stop rain during Spring caving even when the overworld isn't raining.

Nope, caves don't work that way. Caves are humid, yes but downpour is way too imbalanced. Also in summer they are always cooler even cold in deeper levels.

Let me rephrase that in boring game balance talk: It constantly rains, freezes, and overheats in caves as a balance decision by the developers in order to prevent players from escaping the survival elements of each of the seasons by hiding underground, also being an amplified version of the surface's difficulty. 

Let me rephrase that in boring game balance talk: It constantly rains, freezes, and overheats in caves as a balance decision by the developers in order to prevent players from escaping the survival elements of each of the seasons by hiding underground, also being an amplified version of the surface's difficulty. 

So they eliminate a game stretegy by doing nothing specific to the caves and called it balanced. I'm pretty sure it's called "lazy job".

So they eliminate a game stretegy by doing nothing specific to the caves and called it balanced. I'm pretty sure it's called "lazy job".

The DLC wasn't meant to focus on caves, so of course nothing specific was done. A good 6 months was already spent on the caves. The rain in caves was just a measure to ensure players can't skip spring or something. It also doesn't need to make sense either considering we already have things in the game that make even less sense.

This ^

But it would have made sense to make some tweaks to caves. Right now everything in RoG is a vast improvement from Don't Starve base game. Only caves feels as if it was made slightly worse because of the rain.

Maybe have it so rain doesn't occur in caves, but the "dampness" increases and works like the freezing or overheating mechanics, by soaking you faster.

I think Caves is hard enough with constant sanity drain, eternal darkness and hordes of different monsters (nice little worms with damn 900 hp for example) trying to rip your face off. It was either fight against cold on overworld or against monsters and sanity loss in caves in original DS. Caves were not only additional unique territory to explore and loot, but an alternative to freezing your ass off in winter. Now you freeze, overheat and get wet in caves +sanity loss, darkness and monsters. Well if this is balanced - I disagree with it. In the first place Caves are not easy enough to call them "way to escape" cold, heat and rain. Now to explore Caves without getting drenched and going insane or losing half hp from overheating you have only 20 days in Autumn. Oh, sorry not 20, you need to have enough wood, food and warm clothes to last through Winter, so not in Autumn. In Winter you have to mine ice, hunt walruses etc. In Spring you chop wood again to fuel Flingomatics... 

I just hope someone will make a mod to disable those weather effects in caves completely, so you can actually hide from them if you are not ready to fight them. And if no one does I'll try myself. I doubt I'll manage that though.

caves are fine really, they are ment to by challanging and hard to suvive in.

it rains, bring an umbrella, freezing, well dont go in there in winter time, overheat, bring your thermal stones ooh and set up a forward base down in the caves, with some items  and resources, it really helps alot to survive.

All that will take time its just the way it is

caves are fine really, they are ment to by challanging and hard to suvive in.

it rains, bring an umbrella, freezing, well dont go in there in winter time, overheat, bring your thermal stones ooh and set up a forward base down in the caves, with some items  and resources, it really helps alot to survive.

All that will take time its just the way it is

And when exactly I have time to "make a forward base", stock survival items for caves? Autumn - chopping wood and gathering wool\silk for clothes. Winter - as I said - hunting walruses and snowbirds, repelling hound attacks, mining ice for flingomatics, Ice cube etc. Spring - going insane from constant rain and wetness, while chopping wood to fuel flingomatics for summer. And lets not forget building pig village, spider farms, farming plots, planting berry bushes, gathering materials for Bee Boxes to have healing\sanity restoring foods for Caves. That leaves you practically no time to prepare for cave exploration. I am not saying it is impossible to survive. Its just highly unbalanced to have those weather hazards in caves. Autumn and Spring (lightnings, rain storms, agressive bees, upped spawn rate for spiders, etc.) considered "friendly" seasons, while in fact only Autumn is friendly. So we have three hard seasons and 1 calm? And even in caves where you losing sanity and being constantly attacked by worms and spiders you can't hide from hazards. And where is balance in that?

Maybe I just suck at playing DS, but I've played over 200 days and didn't have time to go explore caves at all. Everytime I gather all I need, some **** happens - Bearger\hound decide to attack, burning my pig village to the ground, spider Queen shows up, Treeguard Squad rips through my pig numbers. And when everything resolved - bam! Autumn ends, stocked food gone or rotten and you can't do a thing, but start over, waiting for next Autumn. So for now I'll just make Autumn longer and when I have free time - will try to create a modification in which there is no such thing like friggin rain in Caves.

I don't think devs leave it the way it is as a challange. I think they leave the rain because balancing it out means extra work.

That's where I must disagree - Klei team likes to make surviving as hard as it can be, so its obviously made to ensure player gets whatever each season packs everywhere he goes. And I've never seen them skimp on their work. Its just that this time they quite overdone themselves and thats just my grumbling.

@Madman666

you dont always have to build a forward base sometimes you'll be able to find the remains of one, saves a bit of time. But yes, all those things you mentions all takes time, but when you are past the 200 days you should know, you dont run around and plant new barry bushes all the time, you should have a well stocked supply of the basic (stone, twigs ect) should not be hard to take out half a day to run down and set up some of the basic camp things you need and ever to often run down with a bit of stuff.

@emrextreme

maybe, i dont know, but dont you think its more likely they did leave it in as a challange, after all everyone would just run to the nearest cave and set up camp in there as soon as they could, if it ment they could dodge the seasonal weather effects?

you dont always have to build a forward base sometimes you'll be able to find the remains of one, saves a bit of time. But yes, all those things you mentions all takes time, but when you are past the 200 days you should know, you dont run around and plant new barry bushes all the time, you should have a well stocked supply of the basic (stone, twigs ect) should not be hard to take out half a day to run down and set up some of the basic camp things you need and ever to often run down with a bit of stuff.

Yeah, you can stumble upon a set piece "cave camp", but for that to work out you still need to prepare many things. I actually tried doing a light recon of the caves to find a good place, to smuggle supplies in a little free time I had. Only to return nearly insane, without armor and broken weapons, to a pack of waiting hounds in a middle of the night. And that was in Autumn. Its hard enough without those weather "presents" in there.

And I don't talk about new berry bushes. I am talking about ones burned by the damn hounds. Of course by day 200 you usually already have spider farm, twigs, grass, berries, pig village, drying racks and etc. But now that you have it, you still need to protect it, harvest in time, fight giants and such. And the damn red hound bug, that causes red ones come in Spring instead of blue ones is quite annoying too. 20 days in Autumn is highly insufficient to go caving well prepared.

And its rather pointless to debate, since RoG already finished and there are only bug fixes left and weather effects in caves are no bugs. Thats why I am talking about mod.

There should be at least a reduction of the rainyness in caves, since in my experience, the rain just pladders down on you as if the surface wasn't even there. The wetness factor of it really should be reduced. I personally would even prefer it if it were taken out completely, since having to carry an umbrella around in the caves doesn't make them more challenging, just more annoying.

Archived