Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

DST needs to have a quick, easy, and cheap way to resurrect teammates. Here's why:

Say you are playing with some friends when one of you doesn't make it to the fire in time and gets eaten by a Grue. Now you have to sit back for a couple hours until either your friends find a way to build a meat effigy or find a touch stone. No one will want to play because of the severe punishment to dying. I agree there should be some sort of death punishment, but not forcing a player to log out for several hours waiting for his teammates to revive him. 

I haven't thought of exactly how to implement this. Perhaps Klei could imitate L4D where teammates can assist fallen teammates, maybe by giving them a blood transfusion at the cost of some of their own health. Maybe living players can resurrect dead players at touch stones without breaking them (But if the dead player gets too impatient or the living players can't get to a touch stone, the dead player can resurrect himself by breaking the touch stone)

Whatever way you do it, I think the game mechanics should be set up so that all team member die at similar times, or else you end up with poor players stuck outside of games watching their friends play. And that wouldn't be fun.

Zeklo    18241

I'd have to disagree, I think if they didn't have a respawn thing set up they're dead. Though maybe there could be a way to revive thenm but it would be costly because if not then whats so bad about dying? I was thinking something similar to how webber is unlocked. When a player dies they drop there skull, putting that into an empty grave along with maybe some nightmare fuel and/or beard hair and/or living logs would revive them. I think it should be hard maybe even harder, it is still Don't Starve after all the point it to stay alive.

Ridley    610

I respectfully disagree. I think if you die, you stay dead and it´s over. If the game isn´t permadeath, then it kind of falls apart.

I don't actually agree with you or him. 

The moment my friend dies a stupid death, restart whole server. I am not going to simply play while my friend watches, or vice versa.

The perma-death will absolutely stop enjoyment of MP, regardless if it is true to the games spirit. I made a idea where on death a skull dropped, you spawned as someone else,  lost your learnings, possibly caused a mob that meant serious business to spawn, and you could change characters back via other ways. It holds the near gravity of perma-death, without wrecking MP.

Zeklo    18241

I don't actually agree with you or him. 

The moment my friend dies a stupid death, restart whole server. I am not going to simply play while my friend watches, or vice versa.

The perma-death will absolutely stop enjoyment of MP, regardless if it is true to the games spirit. I made a idea where on death a skull dropped, you spawned as someone else,  lost your learnings, possibly caused a mob that meant serious business to spawn, and you could change characters back via other ways. It holds the near gravity of perma-death, without wrecking MP.

That could work, if you do want it to be player friendly ,which after reading this makes sense.

An alteration to my original idea could just be: drop the players head into an empty grave. As simple as that. Then you revive where ever that grave is, thus the down side is finding an empty grave.

If you wanted to make it a bit more harsh, then make it so graves that people have been revived from cannot be dug up and reused meaning limited revives. Using all the graves in a world could happen and then result in you needing to use the teleportato but that is unlikely. Anyway like I said this would be a slightly harder alternative to the more friendly respawn.

J20hawkz    769

Or why not have reviving work like this.

1. Each player starts with a Life Giving Amulet. This basically grants each player a free life and can even be traded to a friend if need be.

And/Or

2. If a friend dies his body remains dead on the ground for 5 minutes. You can choose to revive your friend by interacting with their dead body and clicking revive. At which point you lose half of what ever Hunger, Health, Sanity you had at point of revive. After 5 minutes if you are unable to revive your dead friend it's game over for them, unless they had activated a touch stone or crafted their own meat effigy.

And/Or

3. When ever you die you can choose to revive yourself at the cost of lowering your Hunger, Health and Sanity to 10% of your Max state for each gauge.

Edit: I also like @Zeklo idea.

I guess I wasn't entirely clear. The point would be to make it so that you can be revived by teammates, but if the mess hits the fan and things start going badly for you, your entire team can still die very easily. If everyone dies, then maybe you'll have to rely on touchstones or amulets. 

Kudos to @Zeklo for the skull idea.

MaxNotWell    2

If one player dies, all the players Sanity goes to 0 and they all lose Health gradually (like when the character is freezing). The only way to stop this Health decay is to revive their friend. (by healing him maybe ?)

This way, nobody will have to stop playing and go to bed while their friends are still in the game but death will be punished.

It's even more sadic because when you die, you put your whole team in trouble and they will hate you for that.

The problem I see is that it promotes the "all together" game style, you don't want your friend to lose your game because he died far away looking for living logs. But is it a problem ?

XirmiX    754

Question: do you want to play in the same map after being dead without any resurrection stuff? Well guess what - you can't do that in single player so if you're dead, you're dead and you cannot re-enter the same map ever again.

Well that's what I think, cause then you could just play for ever and ever... Unless... Every player dies without any resurrection stuff left which is when the game is really over. Would be better I guess...

jbeetle    1873

What if while you are dead, you can be a ghost and move around? Maybe you can kill your friend for screwing you over if you want. I would

Ideas like these is the reason I hope mods bring a lot of new takes on the gameplay.

scize    50

DST needs to have a quick, easy, and cheap way to resurrect teammates. Here's why:

Say you are playing with some friends when one of you doesn't make it to the fire in time and gets eaten by a Grue. Now you have to sit back for a couple hours until either your friends find a way to build a meat effigy or find a touch stone. No one will want to play because of the severe punishment to dying. I agree there should be some sort of death punishment, but not forcing a player to log out for several hours waiting for his teammates to revive him. 

I haven't thought of exactly how to implement this. Perhaps Klei could imitate L4D where teammates can assist fallen teammates, maybe by giving them a blood transfusion at the cost of some of their own health. Maybe living players can resurrect dead players at touch stones without breaking them (But if the dead player gets too impatient or the living players can't get to a touch stone, the dead player can resurrect himself by breaking the touch stone)

Whatever way you do it, I think the game mechanics should be set up so that all team member die at similar times, or else you end up with poor players stuck outside of games watching their friends play. And that wouldn't be fun.

wait hold up a minute.......................... multiplayer isn't even out yet... how can you make a suggestion or even talk about something that even the devs haven't figured what they are going to do yet??? there is no telling how everything in multiplayer will be played out. can you just wait to see whats what? and this reply is not just for you but for everyone. we have to wait to see the official mp rules first.

jbeetle    1873

wait hold up a minute.......................... multiplayer isn't even out yet... how can you make a suggestion or even talk about something that even the devs haven't figured what they are going to do yet??? there is no telling how everything in multiplayer will be played out. can you just wait to see whats what? and this reply is not just for you but for everyone. we have to wait to see the official mp rules first.

If we took out all threads that started with speculation on multiplayer, we'd only have the stickied thread. :)

scize    50

If we took out all threads that started with speculation on multiplayer, we'd only have the stickied thread. :-)

yeah speculation. but assuming how something is going to work before it even comes out is just ya know pointless. like saying how giants should behave way before they were implemented. all I'm saying is before we can say how a certain mechanic in mp works we have to wait to see what mechanic is chosen. makes sense?

What i would think would be interesting would be to make it so that there was a 2 in game sunrises before a player that got killed could rejoin a world to maybe give the other players a chance to die and have the world deleted.I also think respawn items should spawn only at sunlight so players dont have to worry about spawning in darkness and insta dying... what this would also mean is that if you die early on in the day you have to sit there and wait to be respawned till the next morning.

J20hawkz    769

yeah speculation. but assuming how something is going to work before it even comes out is just ya know pointless. like saying how giants should behave way before they were implemented. all I'm saying is before we can say how a certain mechanic in mp works we have to wait to see what mechanic is chosen. makes sense?

But then this forum wouldn't exist. Do you think Klei expected us to just make threads saying "Yay! Multiplayer!" Or "OMG Klei Why!?!?"

J20hawkz    769

i agree with @Zeklo and maybe if you die you will leave skeleton and when other player come and hammer your skeleton you will revive

I sense people abusing death by stockpiling Bone Shards.

@Zeklo I think you have a very good idea here. A similar mechanic is already in place with unlocking Webber.

What do you think of this?

When a player dies the skull is randomly spawned somewhere on the map. It will add to the exploration and the risk/fear of trying to find the skull not knowing where it might be and what dangers may confront you.

If after a certain amount of in game days (I thought 5) you are unsuccessful in your attempt to find the skull, your friend is automatically revived with a huge loss of sanity to all party members.

mathieu0821    0

May be that each player in the world should have one life, when a player dies, he respawns, but he looses his life. If he dies again, he will respawn and he will still have zero life. However, if everyone in the team does not have life, they won't even respawn anymore and will become ghosts : They will be invisible by alive player and will be able to go anywhere in the map where his team mates have been.

What do you think about that ?

J20hawkz    769

@mathieu0821 I thought each player could start with a Life Giving Amulet, or...depending on the amount of players there could be a Life Giving Amulet for each party member randomly spawned on the map somewhere. You just have to trust your friends that if they find an extra Amulet they give it to you.

2 players = 2 randomly spawned Life Giving Amulets on map

3 players = 3 "

4 players = 4 "

@Xjurwi but then you have to keep starting over from day 1 everytime your friend(s) die. Can become frustrating after a while.

CyanBlue    469

What if while you are dead, you can be a ghost and move around? Maybe you can kill your friend for screwing you over if you want. I would

That's pretty much like in Spelunky