Character tiers in multiplayer

57 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for your 4 characters of choice in your ideal team of 4. (Please only vote for 4)

• Wilson
    • Willow
    • Wendy
    • Wolfgang
    • Wx-78
    • Wickerbottom
    • Woodie
    • Wes
    • Maxwell
    • Wigfred
    • Webber

"Oh god not another damn multiplayer post" - Half of the people who clicked on this

I've been thinking about planning out character rosters for multiplayer, but first I'll give you a list of characters by tier (This is my opinion)

Old ratings

A-tier

Webber 10/10 (Proper management and distance of spider dens would allow webber to easily fight enemies for the team. Great for a caves base)
Wolfgang 9.5/10 (Wolfgang's abilities are irreplaceable, nuff said.)
Wigfred 8.5/10 (A lot like Wolfgang however the sanity restoration in combat would allow her to make the most frequent use of Wickerbottom's books, especially S.S, and her uses in combat place her this high.)
Woodie 8/10 (The werebeaver is very useful in both combat and utility plus another player might be able to use lucy as a superior axe.)

B-tier
Wx-78 7.5/10 (The overcharge ability would be useful for exploration and such, with Wickerbottom's T.E.I.N it could be triggered on demand.)
Wickerbottom 7/10 (I just really like her books.)
Maxwell 5/10 (Could accompany Webber into the caves early on and the starting items are of use to everyone, can also make frequent use of Wickerbottom's more passive books such as A.H and O.T.)
Wilson 5/10 (Provides a small amount of beard hair for the team but overall lives up to his balanced character design.)

C-tier
Wes 3/10  (At least his balloons might confuse the AI during attacks when used in a larger fight.)
Willow 3/10 (Has some niche use but until she gets heat immunity I'm keeping her lower on the list, maybe her sanity would make it easier to farm for nightmare fuel sans nightmare amulet.)
Wendy 2/10 (I really don't use Wendy and I find her damage penalty to be quite annoying.)

These are just my opinions on the characters from a multiplayer perspective.
I'd really like to hear everyone's opinion on character tiers and rethink my own for maximum success.

Thanks everyone

New ratings as of 7/5/2014
Now by popular demand the revised ratings list
A-tier
Webber 10/10 : Maybe I am just a Webber fan but his abilities to command an incredible number of spiders that offer a more than sufficient defense against 3/4 of the giants (Dragonfly was greatly injured but not defeated in testing) As I feel his abilities are the best he serves as a sort of barometer for how high ratings can go.
Woodie 9/10 : With proper use of beaverness and some choice stat restoring items he is useful in both combat as well as resource gathering, although his abilites are quite limited to rocks, trees and mobs (Birchguard farming might work well though) Oh well at least his drawbacks can be mitigated with taffy and honey hams/nuggets and his immunity to freezing could help if the players are short on decent clothing.
Wigfred and Wolfgang 8/10 : I don't recommend having both on a team as there are better choices for simple ability rather than combat either way they both have drawbacks which can be mitigated with belts of hunger and proper food for wolfgang and meatballs for Wigfred. Wolfgang has his uses but overall I recommend Wigfred for her cheap weapons and armor and ability to live off of monster meat if need be.
Wickerbottom 7/10 : Assuming that there is something she can do at night to allow the others to sleep her books (Mostly applied horticulture.) I am just going out on a limb here and saying that only she can read the books which make her useful as someone staying in the main base/bulk farming area.

B-tier
Wx-78 7/10 : Although his abilities are quite useful he does need to consume a lot of gears to be the greatest tank that he can be and his abilities to eat spoiled food means a decent honey farm can allow him to eat year round by harvesting in autumn and spring at night and leaving it all in a fridge for later.
Maxwell 6.5/10 : Starts with some useful items and his sanity can be utilized to act as a sort of 'mage' type of character especially if he could use Wickerbottom's books (He is Knowledgeable enough to do so)
Although his usefulness is debatable given his low HP, his ability to live off of monster meat and literally anything that regenerates HP.
Wilson 6/10 : A balanced character with very few downsides, the only one that comes to mind is the fact that Wilson would have to carry a razor around to shave in the summer to help avoid overheating as to my knowledge insulation works only one way (So you can't wear a jacket with a freezing stone to keep cool) Oh well his facial winter hat is great and we all love it's magnificence.
Wendy 5/10 : I can here the fans booing me already but I legitimately think that her abilities can be replaced by development of combat resources and the fact that it takes Abigail a few days to regenerate unless the player manipulates the game to give more than one flower. (Sorry fangentlemen/gentleladies)

C-tier
Wes 3/10 : Has very few uses as intended, but he does have the ability to use his balloons to distract the AI of mobs especially hounds, in my testing it worked well enough to justify possible use if very large teams are allowed.
Willow 2/10 : Her lighter is fine for protecting her from the night and lighting stuff on fire however for some dumb reason she is not immune to the summer heat (I can tolerate 1000 degree heat but not 100 degree heat?) I suppose her sanity regen from fire might be semi useful especially early on but overall I think she will only be the character of choice for some beginners and a majority of griefers in unplanned games.

My team of choice
  • Webber
  • Wigfred
  • Woodie
  • Wickerbottom

"Oh god not another damn multiplayer post" - Half of the people who clicked on this

Erm, since it is in the "Don't Starve Together" category I assume people did not say this haha... 

But, no seriously I agree alot with you, but I believe Wendy was maybe a little too harsh... I mean Abigail can kill nests of spiders and bees at once for a early game start or advantage. Also, Willow I believe as harsh as it was, I will agree that she does have small "bonuses" compared to the others. 

I've been thinking about planning out character rosters for multiplayer, but first I'll give you a list of characters by tier (This is my opinion)

A-tier

Webber 10/10 (Proper management and distance of spider dens would allow webber to easily fight enemies for the team. Great for a caves base)
Wolfgang 9.5/10 (Wolfgang's abilities are irreplaceable, nuff said.)
Wigfred 8.5/10 (A lot like Wolfgang however the sanity restoration in combat would allow her to make the most frequent use of Wickerbottom's books, especially S.S, and her uses in combat place her this high.)
Woodie 8/10 (The werebeaver is very useful in both combat and utility plus another player might be able to use lucy as a superior axe.)

B-tier
Wx-78 7.5/10 (The overcharge ability would be useful for exploration and such, with Wickerbottom's T.E.I.N it could be triggered on demand.)
Wickerbottom 7/10 (I just really like her books.)
Maxwell 5/10 (Could accompany Webber into the caves early on and the starting items are of use to everyone, can also make frequent use of Wickerbottom's more passive books such as A.H and O.T.)
Wilson 5/10 (Provides a small amount of beard hair for the team but overall lives up to his balanced character design.)

C-tier
Wes 3/10  (At least his balloons might confuse the AI during attacks when used in a larger fight.)
Willow 3/10 (Has some niche use but until she gets heat immunity I'm keeping her lower on the list, maybe her sanity would make it easier to farm for nightmare fuel sans nightmare amulet.)
Wendy 2/10 (I really don't use Wendy and I find her damage penalty to be quite annoying.)

These are just my opinions on the characters from a multiplayer perspective.
I'd really like to hear everyone's opinion on character tiers and rethink my own for maximum success.

Thanks everyone

Rating Wendy lower than Wes? I can't even look at this tier list without giggling anymore.

The old vision was to not balance this characters against each other, and I still support that 100%. 

Yes, some characters would not be as useful as others. Everyone brings something different to the table though, and when mixed with other perks; could create something immensely fun. Fun doesn't have to mean balance. Who wouldn't want to make a balloon party base for their friends as Wes?

I want Wes to be able to act like a aggro magnet for monsters, because he is a hated mime. Other than that, I don't think anyone needs a buff. Maybe a few tweaks to Webber to allow friends to be near spiders, and Woodie could use a sanity drain to make team combat tricky, though everyone else should be fine.

Rating Wendy lower than Wes? I can't even look at this tier list without giggling anymore.

I rated her lower because I don't really find Abigail to be of much use and at least the balloon could be useful in combat  as an alternate target for enemies, especially if hound waves are rebalanced according to the amount of people playing in retrospect maybe he should have been 2.5/10 but whatever.

Make your own list of what you think they are.

If you seriously don't think Wendy is useful, then you haven't thought of ways to make her useful. Abigail can be quite the distraction with her aoe attack. Wendy attacking an enemy along with that does a fine enough job of off-balancing Wendy's damage penalty.

Arguably, we shouldn't even have to tier characters at all.

I rated her lower because I don't really find Abigail to be of much use and at least the balloon could be useful in combat  as an alternate target for enemies, especially if hound waves are rebalanced according to the amount of people playing in retrospect maybe he should have been 2.5/10 but whatever.

Make your own list of what you think they are.

I played with Abby and she dominated every spider when night fell, and I was in the area with lots of rocks and spider dens. I think rating her that low because she doesn't fit your playstyle is what the deal is. A more factual examination would of been better received.

If you you are going to divide characters by their usefulness in a team then wickerbottom and wilson should be A-Tier for sure.

Wicker's free science tech is 4 times as useful than singleplayer, she can create backpacks, spears and log suits for the whole team right off the bat.

The books themselves are worth A-Tier imo, (which btw only she can read since the remaining characters are all classed as iliterate.)

As for wilson well I think your underestimating his beard growing ability, it's awkward enough collecting one set of beard hair for a meat effigie let alone 4. Wilson can insure his whole squad's survival alone. And how can you put a value on life :)?

In fact I feel this tier list is mainly focused on individual power rather than contributing to a team, wolfgang and wigfrid may well be great fighters but their eating habits may prove difficult at times when food is low :p

I'll make my opinion, which is based on team strategy.

Tier A

Wendy 8.5/10

Wendy's ghost can rank tier 3 spider nests, and with the other members, her damage penalty doesn't matter.

Wolfgang 8/10:

Tank of the team, any weak character is fine with this buff dood.

Wickerbottom 8/10:

BOOKZ! Her books are really useful, with the cost of sanity, which isn't a big problem. Free food for erryone!!

Tier B:

Webber 7/10:

Good for silk, but a hassle in multiplayer because of pigs.

Maxwell 6.5/10:

Shadow monsters, and no worries about sanity. He could be used in hard times.

Wigifrid 6/10:

Not as great tank wise, but can be the main attacker, and sanity isn't a problem. Not being able to eat veggies is a huge downy though.

Wilson 5.5/10

No worry in winter and meat effigy galore, but it isn't a fly by because it takes time.

Tier C:

WX-78 4/10:

Takes a long time to get him to be a tank, not worth it, he also consumes all the gears which can be used for other things.

Willow 3/10:

Great for burning your crops and saving herself from Charlie. Not useful in multiplayer.

Wes 2.5/10

Too weak, would die quickly.

I made mine off of multiplayer skill, like I said, so I know some are better/worse alone.

Rating Wendy as the best for multiplayer is so wrong, while she can be used effectively ANY character can take out a t3 den reasonably quickly by reargoing spiders when they come out to check when you step on their webbed turf.

She can be useful but is not as useful as Wickerbottom or Webber when you take their abilities and being unable to be replaced by any other character.

Just separating the characters by "tier" encourages people to just not play the characters at the bottom, and when they do encourages the other players to get mad at them for choosing that character.

Yeah some of the characters are easier to play then others, but everything's basically being rebalanced for MP anyway. In the end every character should provide something viable to the table.

Cept Wes, he's MLG tier.

Tires Don Exits:

Top:

Woodie 9/10

OK, so the beaver form harvests resources fast, recovers health and hunger from eating logs, hits awesomely hard, has night vision and doesn't need insulation in winter. What are its drawbacks? You can't store the resources you collect, nor plant new trees to chow down.

But your friends can plant new trees for you and collect all the stuff you leave behind in your massive trail of destruction. It's awesome.

Maxwell 8/10

Starts with great equipment, provides work force and fighters with the Codex umbra, doesn't need sanity replenishing stuff, doesn't mind sanity lowering stuff. 

Wigfrid 8/10

Is able to equip all your friends ready for war with minimal resources. Doesn't need sanity/health replenishing stuff as often. Doesn't eat from your farms. Starts with equipment. Yup, this one's good.

Wilson 7/10

Making Meat Effigies isn't always so simple, but Wilson provides more Beard Hair than you would ever want. He also needs less winter gear and has all-around decent stats.

Mid:

Wickerbottom 6/10

Yeah, she can prototype stuff before you get a Science Machine, but Wigfrid can make flat-out better armor and weapons right off the bat and these don't get obsoleted as quickly. Her saving grace are the books but most of them aren't that useful.

Webber 6/10

Of course, getting free silk and a bit of insulation is never bad, but Webber's more suited to singleplayer. His underlings hate your friend's guts, while your friend's underlings hate your guts. His saving grace is the ability to eat Monster Meat and safely travel over Spider Nests. And his voice.

Wendy 5/10

Mostly obsoleted by Maxwell, who gets better minions and better sanity. Besides, you'll have enough fighters if you play with 3-4 people. Otherwise, Abigail's not bad.

Low:

Wolfgang 4/10

His belly needs food constantly, his mind needs treatment constantly. Completely obsoleted by Maxwell, Wigfrid or Woodie.

WX-78 4/10

WX needs Gears to be useful. Period. And just how many gears you'll want for enough Ice Flingomatics, Ice Boxes and Weather Pains for multiple people?

Willow 3/10

The Lighter is rather nice to provide a little light, but refuelable Lanterns and Moggles make it mostly useless. His immunity to fire isn't very useful, as fire damage is easily avoided.

Wes 0/10

Yeah, Wes is useless.

Willow 3/10

The Lighter is rather nice to provide a little light, but refuelable Lanterns and Moggles make it mostly useless. His immunity to fire isn't very useful, as fire damage is easily avoided.

Her.

Also, what about that early game start. Also, ash/charcoal factory. Which you need for boomerangs, healing salves, drying racks....

Also, what about that early game start. Also, ash/charcoal factory. Which you need for boomerangs, healing salves, drying racks....

I'd rather use a few durability points on Torches to make Charcoal instead of playing as Willow.

Archived