PvP in PvE for Don't Starve Together announced as OPTIONAL

Don't Starve Multiplayer  

347 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be a SEPARATE PvP mode?

• Yes there should be a SEPARATE mode for PvP only
    • No there should be an OPTION to allow PvP in PvE
    • There should NEVER be PvP
    • PvP is turned on in PvE ONLY When holding a bind key
    • PvP is ALWAYS on

I'm thinking, with a wee bit creativity, a group of people can have some great fun by going up against each other. They start together on the map, make a team, and go to the other side. If they ever meet, they'll battle to death, or something.

PvP should be allowed BUT you should have the ability to turn it off as well. Wouldn't it suck if you and your friend attacks a spider nest and you (by accident) stab him dead because you missclicked the spider?

@rezecib interesting points mate. When I say a separate PvP mode, yes I mean a mode entirely different, taking aspects from other games and putting a Don't Starve twist on things. Which I would hate for Don't Starve to become. But in the context of implementing it into PvE I mean only having the ability to damage another player, no silly "King of the Hill" or "Domination" mode.

I already voted for Option 2. But honestly the more I think about it, especially after reading all the comments here, I'm more inclined to pick Option 3 and have a game that stays true to Don't Starve and the desperate survival aspect, combined with fluid team work and cooperation.

@Everyone this is all speculation. I don't know much about it myself and the Developers are very quiet about Don't Starve Together, but please keep sharing your options and smash that VOTE option!

I'm thinking, with a wee bit creativity, a group of people can have some great fun by going up against each other. They start together on the map, make a team, and go to the other side. If they ever meet, they'll battle to death, or something.

PvP should be allowed BUT you should have the ability to turn it off as well. Wouldn't it suck if you and your friend attacks a spider nest and you (by accident) stab him dead because you missclicked the spider?

I think someone said earlier that having the option to turn team killing on and off when ever you want in PvE, could be abused. The host can easily use it to their advantage during in game. So I made it clear to either allow an option to turn team killing on/off BEFORE the game begins. Either that or scrap PvP all together.

How about a non-conventional PvP mode?

There was a thread around here about a "Maxwell Mode" in which one player was Maxwell summoning threats around a group of survivors and the such.

It's a great idea, but Don't Starve shouldn't be turned into that. To me it doesn't feel right. All these changes are turning Don't Starve into just "another" online social arcade style game.

A no option PvP or a no seperate PvP mode is Option 3. "There should NEVER be PvP"

What I'm saying is, to keep the game feeling sandbox/survival, PVP should ALWAYS be on with no option to turn off. They didn't make that an option. That's how it should be. By pvp I mean by default you won't hit the other person, but if you hold your "bind attack" key you should be allowed to hit them.

What I'm saying is, to keep the game feeling sandbox/survival, PVP should ALWAYS be on with no option to turn off. They didn't make that an option. That's how it should be. By pvp I mean by default you won't hit the other person, but if you hold your "bind attack" key you should be allowed to hit them.

This could be a very good compromise. I like this a lot.

I don't think pvp would fit in this concept. The characters are too different and the combat system isn't complex enough to make a good pvp experience. It should be played together not against each other.

This is how I envision PvP aswell, it should always be available. I typed my own point of view in my thread(sorry to advertise), but shortly put there's like a 30 second time after the first forced attack on a player. During this time, the attacker and attacked can freely attack each other untill 30 seconds pass without any hits landed, after which the "Moment of Agresiveness" is over and you need to force attack again. When surviving with multiple people there can and will be conflicts regarding food or certain events (why did you not help me with that Deerclops, you almost got me killed!) that could be settled through a fight.

Oh snap! I realized some extremely cool things for PvP:

-The Telelocator Staff could Teleport your opponents away with ease, allowing you to plunder all their resources.

-Should you have the Moggles, you could possibly ambush your enemies at night with your night vision.

-The Weather Pain could be very useful for stunlocking.

-Sleep Darts/Pan Flute and Gunpowder. It hurts. A lot.

-If you're having a fight in the evening and night appears, you could use the Morning Star while your opponent's trying to set up a fire.

-Telelocator Focus could be used for teleporting enemy players into monsters or traps.

-The Lazy Explorer can be used to chase him/her down.

-On Tentacles and The End is Nigh could be very powerful, too.

Seeing as there's this many options for PvP, I'd say it would be a waste to not have it.

Yep, that's what I was trying to say.

I didn't think of that lol. Ok wouldn't we be able to hear them coming? If we could, we can increase the radius of the light emitting from our camp fire or fire pit. So technically we could get the jump on them :)

i don't really know what to feel because why would you people fight each other when you are struggling to survive ? or is this the reason you play the game to poke on someone? but when you are clearing your inventory putting stuff out of your inventory somebody unknown comes and steals your stuff and doesn't give it back what you have to do? fight !!! that's the reason why it shouldn't be too big and have large servers like minecraft it should be 10 max just do online match ups with your friends

@Lestarver 10 people on one server? Things will get way out of hand. You'll literally have nothing to do, as everything will be explored and cleared way too quickly. 2-4 players is very common in co-operative games. I don't feel any more than 4 will be a good idea.

I personally will start parties in duos.

it was just me trying to make it less players but i thought about minecraft having too much player but don't starve world is limited (which is very good) world

I've never played minecraft (here comes the rage), but as far as I can tell it's all about building a base (here comes more rage) and there isn't really much survival (I may need a shield at this point). So having lots of people on the same server in minecraft makes sense. If I'm wrong please do correct me.

If PvP is an option (not as a separate mode), do you think more emphasis should be placed on base building? One thing comes to mind right now.....Doors!

No one likes someone turning on them, and no one likes a thief. Keeping your base secure and gathered resources safe is important, especially if you are out exploring. You don't want to come back and find everything trashed and gone.

I also thought of "fake" chests. Basically a trap chest which is empty and makes a sound only for the player who crafted it, as a warning that your chest/base has been compromised. Or you can set the chest to burn/freeze/soak/damage the intruder.

Thoughts?

i think there is no sense in PvP since you already may attack almost everything you want

but if PvP means not survival but something like new competition mode - that'll be interesting ^__^

ps: sorry my english

i think there is no sense in PvP since you already may attack almost everything you want

but if PvP means not survival but something like new competition mode - that'll be interesting ^__^

ps: sorry my english

PvP in PvE (Don't Starve Together) is like team killing/friendly fire/damaging your friend. You are working together but can also attack each other if you want.

@Flare2V suggested that there could be a hot key you hold down and the hit attack to damage someone. That means having PvP turned on always in PvE, but makes it fiddly to keep up a continuous attacks, aiming and kiting.

PVP as a separate mode is like a free far all type, kill all players to win mode. Which I personally don't think suits Don't Starve.

This is how I envision PvP aswell, it should always be available. I typed my own point of view in my thread(sorry to advertise), but shortly put there's like a 30 second time after the first forced attack on a player. During this time, the attacker and attacked can freely attack each other untill 30 seconds pass without any hits landed, after which the "Moment of Agresiveness" is over and you need to force attack again. When surviving with multiple people there can and will be conflicts regarding food or certain events (why did you not help me with that Deerclops, you almost got me killed!) that could be settled through a fight.

I like this idea, but if you were to accidentally force attack a teamate as opposed to a friendly such as a pig, friendly fire would get out of hand. Keeping it strictly to the bind attack key gives the player an option to attack other players, but no incentive to.

Archived