to people who dont use a backpack...

Grass, twigs and flint is all you need really. I also prebuild campfire so I don't have to carry any logs around. Rest of the slots can be filled with food, weapons, armor or whatever seasonal things you need.

I used to always carry a backpack and would only put armor on when a threat was nearby. I found that backpacks can be hard to keep organized at inconvient times, so I mainly rely on chester to carry extra resources or junk I don't need, yet can't justify throwing away--this way, if chester dies and drops everything I can keep on running.

A walking cane is always a must and I'm never without a torch, logs, grass, twigs, sometimes rocks, and flint/gold--sometimes things get less crowded when I get multiple miners hats, but I find using them to be a waste when compared to a torch or fire.

And food and 2 armor pieces,maybe a sanity booster as well.

It's all over the place really. If it's spring I have an umbrella, summer and winter thermal stone, Autumn is used for extra stuff---IDK.

I rarely use a backpack unless I'm in the process of moving to another camp (and then I use the piggyback).  I do not like using Chester because I have to stop and wait for him so often.  I play on Huge maps and like to move quickly.  I play in RoG.

I generally carry 8-10 items with me.  The difference I see between my self and previous posters is I like to carry a Sanity gain item also.

Its important to have a silk hat and/or a glommer with Webber due to his low sanity.

Played Webber exclusively since he came out and I never needed any of the aforementionned!

As a cooking habit, I always dry up all my meat/monster meat before cooking them in the crockpot. Jerkys are good to restore sanity, so are cooked green caps (+15/100 is a lot) and both are rather easy to acquire. You can eat them when at your camp, thus freeing an extra inventory slot when exploring. That is for early game. Off course, other crockpot foods can also restore a bunch of sanity.

Otherwise, for early/mid game, there is the cat cap, which I find much better than a silk hat (cold insulation, water resistance, dapper), but requires you to find the deciduous forest.

And off course, the tam'o'shanter which can be found as soon as day ~21 (granted, with some luck) if you start during autumn and have explored enough to find the Walrus camp before the first winter.

Finally, there is also the Hibearnation vest.

Anyway, what I wanted to illustrate with all that is, when I'm not using a back pack, I try to use items that provide me with more than one function whenever possible. An item that is only good to restore my sanity is not an item I will be carrying around. It needs to have additional perks! But that's just me!

I don't find backpacks usable at all as I like having armor (or rain coat in the rain) on me at all times. I have died several times because something attacked me while not wearing armor, but backpack and there was no time to exchange backpack for armor so I decided not to use backpacks. Sometimes this means I have to make hard decisions about what to discard (they are sometimes extremely difficult especially if you find some relatively rare item in a boon).

I am REALLY trying to learn how to survive without the backpack because I have a bad habit of throwing them in to my campfires. I think I spend WAAAY too much time standing by the fire. Then when something happens, I panicbutton my armour on and the next thing I notice is the bag with assorted loot burning.

I use the backpack quite often and have Chester on me all the time. I usually carry tools(Axe, Pick, Shovel) a weapon and supplies I may need while out and about. Chester usually holds things that I might need but won't need on hand at all times(Hammer/Razor). After reading some of these posts, I may try to change up my play style. Any tips?

In inventory: full stack of grass, full stack of wood, nitre if summer. Two or three days of food in one or two slots. Combat gear. Stack of healing salves. Miner hat. Tam'o'Shanter. Thermal stone if need be. Eyebone if I have Chester.

Equipped: seasonal hat, seasonal vest or armor, walking cane or pretty parasol if I don't have the Eyebrella.

In Chester, if present: axe, shovel, flint, twigs.

That's pretty much my exploration setting. If I go for a specific task, I take the tools needed. I come back to my base every few days to restock on crockpot food, or I swing by my nearest secondary camp if I have one to cook.

I keep rocks, flint, logs, twigs, grass, and the eyebone on me at all times. Other items fluctuate. I usually keep an emergency torch, a hambat (I don't have Reign of Giants yet, as I play on PS4), and a walking cane. Inventory space has never been an issue for me, so I don't find the backpack necessary.

Note that I am an experienced player, just new to the forum.

Er, I suggest you don't keep flint in Chester. If he dies, moleworms could easily devour your entire stack of flint.

By that time it's irrelevant. I only go without a backpack once I've finished my collecting of basic resources. Besides, I always let Chester behind in a safe place when I'm going to fight stuff. I don't want the bugger to die and waste the resources I used to transform it.

Archived