What do you think of Don't Starve Together?

Multiplayer  

214 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about DST?

• I am super excited!
    • I think multiplayer is a mistake.
    • I don't quite know what I think about it.
    • They should have worked on something else.
    • Multiplayer will ruin the feeling of loneliness.

I have no doubt. :razz: I actually welcome it, it's good to see some diversity when reading posts. Makes me jealous that I'm not properly bilingual. :razz:

Ah, believe me, german is not worth knowing nowadays. Half of our vocabulary consists of imported english words :razz:

Aaanyway, we should really get back to the main topic now :razz:

Ah, believe me, german is not worth knowing nowadays. Half of our vocabulary consists of important english words :razz:

Aaanyway, we should really get back to the main topic now :razz:

Right!

I'd actually be interested in how they handle UI mods. I wonder if those will work regardless of the host.

Right!

I'd actually be interested in how they handle UI mods. I wonder if those will work regardless of the host.

I surely hope that they will... I really love me my Always On status, it would be a shame to be unable to use it.

I'm looking forward to a larger fanbase, meaning it makes more sense for Klei to make additional DLC after they plow through this multiplayer revamp.

A knock-on effect; the problems of adding additional DLC that were speculated at in a couple of the RoG threads - due to the way the base game and RoG were built, will probably be fixed, since they're pretty much rewriting most of the code anyway I imagine.  So (hopefully) simpler DLC integration = good.

So! Tell me what do you think?

I'm apprehensive about DST. I'm not against it, but I'm not for it either. 

Are you excited or disappointed? Why?

Neither. I'm fairly neutral towards it, mostly because of how multiplayer affects games and the culture surrounding those games. I want to try multiplayer before I decide if it really gets me excited or disappoints me.

Do think DST will effect Don't Starve for the better or for worse? Why?

Well, it won't affect single-player, really, so hurray! :joyous:  I believe it will attract a different type of fan base for the game. My experience with most mutliplayer games tells me that multiplayer brings out the worse in people, but I'm trying to remain optimistic.

What do you think will have to be balanced to make multiplayer playable?

I'm pretty against PvP, since I think it doesn't jive with the "Together" in DST. As far as balance goes, though, I'm wondering how boss fights will happen. I mean, potentially four against one?  I'm a little concerned that players ganging up on bosses might make them too easy, so boss-tweaking might need some work to keep the game feeling as tough as I want it to be.

Do you think that with the addition of multiplayer some loose ends in the story might be patched up?

I don't know, but that would be interesting at least, and I'd be way more excited about multiplayer if it did tie up loose ends in the story.

Long story short, didn't vote in the poll. "Nervous but willing to try it" wasn't a poll option.

Would prefer new singleplayer content at first thought, but I feel this will help the game quite a bit. Many are excited for it and I hope it ends up good, but Klei makes quality content and I trust them. 

That being said, some friends are excited so it would be fun to show them my base and army of crock pots and drying racks I totally didn't use to exploit the bug that made food not spoil in them before RoG

I haven't been in the fandom long enough to know about all the multi-player controversy enough (I started playing late december) but both I and the people I introduced to the game though multi-player would be a cool idea. I was sad when I saw Klei state there wasn't going to be multi-player but noowwwwww this!

I'm happy. Super happy.

I'd really like to see how the characters react to each other (I remember a thread like that, and MycoLogical had some convincing quotes there).  Just learning more about the characters at all is a big plus for me. Not that I don't love my headcanons.

I don't see it as an issue, since it wont force you to use multi-player and also won't effect the single player version.

So! Tell me what do you think?

On the whole, I'm opposed to multiplayer.

I always have been, but we'll see if the new update changes my mind.

I did mention I was disappointed a few times, yes. I'm mostly disappointed that the puzzle lead to this instead of something more narrative-y like the William Carter puzzles.

I guess I'm also a bit disappointed that Klei will be spending the Summer working on implementing this as opposed to implementing content aimed at 100/200/300+ days because the game feels like it plateaus pretty hard once you get into the triple digits. RoG helps extend the shelf-life of the experience, granted, but only for about an in game year.

I kind of wish Klei also spent more time making Summer feel more distinct with special Summer-only mobs like Winter has.

It might be beneficial in the sense that multiplayer might make Don't Starve even more profitable, and if it's more profitable, that means Klei will be all the more inclined to keep revisiting it and adding updates and DLCs for it which means there's a chance we'll finally get closure on the narrative and maybe content focused on the endgame, possibly sanity/insanity will be revisited, the caves might be revisited, so on and so forth.

Those could all be really great things, and if waiting for multiplayer to come and go is what it takes to get to it, fine.

What do you think will have to be balanced to make multiplayer playable?

For Co-op? Well all 4 players are going to need adequate resources, so that'll have to be tweaked to make sure there's enough to go around. Ganging up on monsters will be all too easy, so things will either have to be nerfed or monsters will need to be buffed if this is still going to be an "uncompromising wilderness survival game".

Also would a, let's say, bearger drop 4 pelts? A pelt per player? An individual pelt for each player that only that player can see like in Diablo 3? Or is it going to be that there is only going to be 1 pelt and each player will roll to loot it? Or is it going to be that there is going to only be 1 pelt, the loot will drop on the ground, looting is free-for-all so whomever picks it up firsts gets it? I can already foresee the hours upon hours of bickering about who deserved the loot more...

Sleeping is probably going to need to be reworked because you can't just simply fast forward in time if other players don't want, or even can't like with Wickerbottom, to sleep, so what happens? I doubt sleeping just before nightfall is going to ward away Charlie anymore.

Willow is going to burn everything.

Meat Effigies probably need to be tied to the person who erects them so they'll probably need to be individualized as to avoid confusion, but that's assuming you can't pick 2 of the same character. If you can pick 2 of the same character, well then effigies probably need to be color coded, marked, or something. Also, they'll probably have to be immune to fire and/or the hammers of other players.

I mean I could go on... but for the sake of some semblance of brevity I'll leave it at that. I'm sure I'll have plenty more opportunities to voice my concerns.

For Competitive? Everything needs to be re-worked from the ground up. Everything.

The worst part is that it all sounds oh so generic. The neatest idea I've heard for multiplayer is "Maxwell Mode" in which 1 player tries to kill the other players like a Dungeon Master.

Do you think that with the addition of multiplayer some loose ends in the story might be patched up?

Maybe. We'll just have to see eh?

I don't think that this binary choice accurately represents how people can feel about this.  I am happy for Klei that they feel comfortable taking this step.  But at the same time, I feel a little sad and concerned that the community will change to the point that it will lose what made it special.  Right now, seeing the "Haha, suck it, anti-multiplayer!" posts makes me sad.

I have faith in Klei that they will not let DST negatively affect the core DS game.  But nowadays, the game and community are two interconnnected and mutually influencing entities. Ironically, I suspect that playing DS will become more lonely for me after multiplayer is introduced.

As I am not interested in multiplayer, I will decline to answer the other questions.  I would prefer to find a way to prevent the final update that includes multiplayer, just because that would be my preference.

I know most of people will love for multiplayer mode, except some people who are too conservative to see what actually good is.

This won't ruin the game, it just make the game become more variant. User will have more option to enjoy: you love play alone, you stick to single player, you love more fun with other people, you stick to multi player.

For me, I love both!

I understand why everyone (well, the most) is thrilled about multiplayer, but look at minecraft. It started as a singeplayer game, when multiplayer was implemented, the servers came up, and with that most of the players now play multiplayer. With Don't Starve getting multiplayer, I got the feeling everyone will be playing with others, even though singleplayer was the actual plan. Or am I totally wrong here?

I understand why everyone (well, the most) is thrilled about multiplayer, but look at minecraft. It started as a singeplayer game, when multiplayer was implemented, the servers came up, and with that most of the players now play multiplayer. With Don't Starve getting multiplayer, I got the feeling everyone will be playing with others, even though singleplayer was the actual plan. Or am I totally wrong here?

You are. I only ever play Minecraft singleplayer, and many current Don't Starve fans love their singleplayer and will keep playing it.

And even if literally everyone were to switch to multiplayer, I don't see what would be problematic about that.

What i think?
"Sure,prepare to enter in my MIND"-Wilson
Explore with my friends,die,finally explore caves(not i'm have afraind,and tes i don't have itens for it)kill the Deerclop,cut beefalo worm,kill Hounds like a fuc* yeah,say to every one:"I'M AM THE KING OF THE WORLD"Do badass science,show in their face my Webber.Die by a hot summer,kill everyone,report bugs(i never reported one :/)do the adventure mode(if we can)set them on fire,don't starve(maybe,never die by starve)AND MUCH MORE

My biggest concern will be the servers. I don't want them to be like the professional Minecraft servers where your heavily restricted where to build and mine or some of mine experiences with L4D2 where servers would have a class and experience system or one case, you play as a fire or poison tank.

perhaps as a server system, when you start a game with other people, your given a password so you and the other people can only access that world

I just felt like saying that I used to say Don't Starve was about being lonely and blah blah blah. I figured I was to knowledgeable about the game to feel, because I couldn't feel lonely playing.

However, my little brother pointed out that if you feel lonely the beefalos will cure that. If its not lonely for him, its not going to be lonely for me either.

I just felt like saying that I used to say Don't Starve was about being lonely and blah blah blah. I figured I was to knowledgeable about the game to feel, because I couldn't feel lonely playing.

However, my little brother pointed out that if you feel lonely the beefalos will cure that. If its not lonely for him, its not going to be lonely for me either.

I agree. Although I (previously) claimed that Don't Starve was supposed to be a lonely single-player experience, I never actually felt very lonely with all the implemented partners (Chester, Abigail, Globber, Pigs, Rock Lobsters, etc).

Let me just say, what mods? If u search multiplayer or even coop, only one mod exists, and it's extremely buggy.

You don't find them in the workshop, because they are still in development. I think you mean the Multiplayer local coop 3 player shared screen by Desblat. It is buggy he works on it. Crynux is working on a mod and chromiumboy, too. You can find them under mods & tools in the forum.

Archived