What do you think of Don't Starve Together?

Multiplayer  

214 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about DST?

• I am super excited!
    • I think multiplayer is a mistake.
    • I don't quite know what I think about it.
    • They should have worked on something else.
    • Multiplayer will ruin the feeling of loneliness.

Unless you've been living under a rock you should know Klei is implementing Don't Starve Together.

From what i see in the forums right now there is a lot of mixed feelings. Some people are very excited, some people are disappointed for various reasons.

Personally I am very excited for the addition of DST, I would never in a million years would have guessed that multiplayer was going to be added.

So! Tell me what do you think?

Are you excited or disappointed? Why?

Do think DST will effect Don't Starve for the better or for worse? Why?

What do you think will have to be balanced to make multiplayer playable?

Do you think that with the addition of multiplayer some loose ends in the story might be patched up?

I'm very interested to know what everyone else thinks on the surprising news.

EDIT- If you have any suggestions to more options in the poll feel free to say it here.

Please add a button for "I don't know what to think about it". That's what I'm feeling right now. Then I will vote.

Right now I'm a bit confused and maybe a bit sceptical, but first I want to look how it will turns out.

I still think it's a waste of time because there are multiplayer mods existing and I feel bad for the people who worked so hard on these mods. Also time and ressources could be invested in more content/bug fixes etc.
But I don't want to be too pessimistic. Maybe it will turn out to be a good thing. Maybe this will make Don't Starve more popular and they will bring out another cool singleplayer DLC which makes singleplayer mode even more difficult and fun. Let's hope for the best.

So! Tell me what do you think?

I think it's great. I often play kind of co-op with friends, each in our own world using skype encountering our own problems. Being able to do that on 1 map, awesome! Unfortunately that means I won't be able to get away with the mods though xD Darn vanilla players lol

Are you excited or disappointed? Why?

Excited. I'm not used to this whole game updating stuff. I grew up with "When you buy a game, you buy a finished product" and when it comes to DLC and add ons, EA has had my hands in my pockets more times than I'd like to reveal.

So the fact this game is still so minimally priced for all the work thats gone into it, and still continuing to happen - Even Multiplayer! Wow, they sure are a company that know how to keep their fans happy for sure.

Do think DST will effect Don't Starve for the better or for worse? Why?

Better. I don't see how it could be worse. It's entirely optional, you don't have to play multiplayer if you don't want to, DS isn't going to change, it isn't about to uproot it's values, it's just growing an extra branch.

What do you think will have to be balanced to make multiplayer playable?

Enemies would have to be scaled most definitely, perhaps a multiplyer based on how many players in each map.

Do you think that with the addition of multiplayer some loose ends in the story might be patched up?

Nope, and do I care? Ehh, not all that much. While I like the fact the story is there, I've got the jist of it, been playing a year and still haven't unlocked Maxwell. Only stepped into adventure mode once. 

Please add a button for "I don't know what to think about it". That's what I'm feeling right now. Than I will vote.

Right now I'm a bit confused and maybe a bit sceptical, but first I want to look how it will turns out.

I still think it's a waste of time because there are multiplayer mods existing and I feel bad for the people who worked so hard on these mods. Also time and ressources could be invested in more content/bug fixes etc.
But I don't want to be too pessimistic. Maybe it will turn out to be a good thing. Maybe this will make Don't Starve more popular and they will bring out another cool singleplayer DLC which makes singleplayer mode even more difficult and fun. Let's hope for the best.

Perhaps I'm wrong here then, but I didn't think any of the multiplayer mods were actually functional, I mean I know it was something people were working towards but... You'll always encounter things like that with these games and I'm sure the people with the skill set to do that is what inspired Klei to go there.

Also more content? It's got a whole ton of content, and the other main reason is that this game isn't very resource heavy on laptops or desktops, which is great news for people like me using ancient pc's xD 

But all in all, we don't know much about it yet, but I'm still stoked for it, I don't see anyway in which it could be a bad thing.

Please add a button for "I don't know what to think about it". That's what I'm feeling right now. Then I will vote.

Exactly my thoughts, thank you for being so eloquent.

My problem with it is, as I've said many times, what it will do with the community. I'm afraid the Don't Starve community will become like every other multiplayer game I've ever played: Not good. Really, really, really not good.

Will I play multiplayer? No. For me, it would both ruin the lonely feel that I so love bout Don't Starve and frustrate me because my only friend who has it is a pyromaniac.

I suppose my problem is less with the multiplayer, and more with the people who are attracted to it like moths to an unsatisfactory flame, so they have to go onto forums to vent out whatever they're feeling.

So, I think it's a mistake - but not because I think it WILL be bad because I'm a ****. Just because of what I said above.

There are far too few options. This still describes quite a lot of how I feel, they could've added so many creatures, some creatures that they've even said they'd add before, so many fixes many players want for such a long time, SO MANY MORE things they could've added, and they went with multiplayer, a thing they've said many MANY times before they'd never add... I honestly would rather giving them my money for more creatures, items and such instead of having them working for weeks on multiplayer, but i guess im the only one who thinks like this thus incrementing multiplayer+some stuff would be better for them than making another DLC thingy.

Currently this whole multiplayer thing its a ... thing, i may try it out a bit.

I added the option.

I didn't think there were any multiplayer mods that actually worked right now.

I can see why people are a bit skeptical but I have faith that Klei will listen to the community and hopefully make everything work out.

not really sure. On one side there's the fact that I would really like to play a multiplayer with my friends, but on the other side there's the fact that the game's difficulty will become(even more) watered down and that they're chosing this over a more intensive(and maybe, if the gods have mercy, even harder) singleplayer update

Perhaps I'm wrong here then, but I didn't think any of the multiplayer mods were actually functional, I mean I know it was something people were working towards but... You'll always encounter things like that with these games and I'm sure the people with the skill set to do that is what inspired Klei to go there.

Also more content? It's got a whole ton of content, and the other main reason is that this game isn't very resource heavy on laptops or desktops, which is great news for people like me using ancient pc's xD 

But all in all, we don't know much about it yet, but I'm still stoked for it, I don't see anyway in which it could be a bad thing.

There are multiplayer mods that work. They are still not perfect and need a bit improvement, but they exist. The people spend a lot of their free time to make it possible for those who wanted multiplayer so badly. And they couldn't know that because Klei said a thousand times, that there will be no multiplayer. But there it is.

But there still can be much more things. How about lava caves, or the story mode? And there are still a lot of questions about Maxwell, Charlie and the dark creatures. So there is still much more room for new content.

But this is talk about the far future of Don't Starve, so don't worry. There is much time to buy a better pc. xD

It can be good but it also can be bad. I don't know. We can just wait and trust Klei, that they will do the right thing.

I added the option.

I didn't think there were any multiplayer mods that actually worked right now.

I can see why people are a bit skeptical but I have faith that Klei will listen to the community and hopefully make everything work out.

Thanks. I voted now. :)

There are mods that work. But they need some improvement.

Yes, you are right. Let's wait how this will turn out.

My problem with it is, as I've said many times, what it will do with the community. I'm afraid the Don't Starve community will become like every other multiplayer game I've ever played: Not good. Really, really, really not good.

I can really understand this. I have the same worries, but I'm not sure. It's too early to judge. I know Klei make good things and that's why I'm waiting and hope that they will do the right thing.

I suppose my problem is less with the multiplayer, and more with the people who are attracted to it like moths to an unsatisfactory flame, so they have to go onto forums to vent out whatever they're feeling.

That is also a thing, what I fear. I'm not waiting for the multiplayer, because I like it to play it alone. I'm waiting how this decision will influence the future of Don't Starve and the forum. That's why I can't decide. I just hope that Klei made the right choice and the additional popularity will turn out good for future DLC's and singleplayer content, too.

Generally, it's safe to say that I am excited for this. Not SUPER excited, but excited. The idea of playing Don't Starve together with a bunch of friends wasn't something I craved for, but it was an enjoyable thought nonetheless. Having played a lot more multiplayer games with a friend of mine lately, getting an opportunity to play Don't Starve with said friend (and potentially messing with him a bit~) is certainly appreciated.

So, for myself, I am quite happy that this addition to the game is coming. Concerning this game's community, however, I can't help but be a little concerned.

Having multiplayer in here will definitely attract a lot more people to purchase this game, as multiplayer is a feature many-a-people value quite highly. The upside to this, of course, is that Klei will make more money, which we can probably all agree they deserve, and an active playerbase will also help extend this game's lifespan, ultimately leading to more content being added, which is without a question a nice thing.

The bad thing about this, though, is that there will be an active playerbase. I know, I listed that as an upside just a second ago, but we all know how communities change as they get bigger: they get worse. Noisy people trying to forcibly push their vision down other people's throats is not something we see often or at all in the forums as they are now, but the more people there are here, the more obnoxious buffoons will show up. And many people with bad ideas that make a lot of noise about those ideas will pretty much ruin the process of community involvement as it is now, since truly constructive ideas will be neigh impossible to be heard underneath all the baaing. This might eventually end up hurting the game's continuous development as much as it would help enable said development.

Overall though, I remain optimistic, and will just put my faith into Klei's ability to be awesome. I might just not visit these forums as frequently as I do now anymore once Multiplayer rolls around.

I personally hope this brings in a flurry of new modders. Of course the community will change, but that's fine. People who test the patience of the moderators will be warned and possibly banned. These forums have always been a place of reason, at least far more than forums I've visited in the past.

Gut gesagt. Besonders das mit der wachsenden Fanbase und den damit verbundenen Vor-/Nachteilen. Kann dir da echt nur zustimmen.

Das wird die Admins aber gar nicht freuen, dass hier spontane sprachliche Vielfalt ausgebrochen ist :razz:

I personally hope this brings in a flurry of new modders. Of course the community will change, but that's fine. People who test the patience of the moderators will be warned and possibly banned. These forums have always been a place of reason, at least far more than forums I've visited in the past.

Well, considering that mods most likely won't work for quite a while with multiplayer, that will be a development a bit further in the future I'm afraid. But you'Re right, these forums are a quite reasonable place, and if nothing goes wrong, they'll stay that way.

Echt? :D Wusste nicht, dass die das so kritisch betrachten.

In dem Fall für die Admins:

Don't worry we will continue to speak English again.

I just said that I agree with his statements.

Echt? :grin: Wusste nicht, dass die das so kritisch betrachten.

In dem Fall für die Admins:

Don't worry we will continue to speak English again.

I just said that I agree with his statements.

Well, I don't know about the admins here, I just saw that in other places that speaking that randomly speaking languages other than english would be disapproved of. Better be safe than sorry I guess :razz:

Well, I don't know about the admins here, I just saw that in other places that speaking that randomly speaking languages other than english would be disapproved of. Better be safe than sorry I guess :razz:

That's true. :)

So long as you provide english translations, I think they don't mind. I think the idea behind that is to not separate the community, as well as to not put extra effort on the moderators. I don't think they want you screaming profanities at each other in a foreign language. :p

So long as you provide english translations, I think they don't mind. I think the idea behind that is to not separate the community, as well as to not put extra effort on the moderators. I don't think they want you screaming profanities at each other in a foreign language. :razz:

Seems reasonable enough. We weren't screaming profanities, I swear :joyous:

Archived