How to Rebalance Don't Starve for Multiplayer? Console Commands Yes/No? page 16

I have one idea for public servers about death. If a server can 2 to 4 players, when one player is killed the server will allow another player to enter the world. Because there could be a massive blood bath where the new player has no items and the older has enough items to kill the new player, the new player will have a random spawn pretty far from any civilization or from any other existing player. As well, the new player could eventually have some advantage when entering the server:

A) If one player that killed at least 2 other players is still alive, he will be shown on the new player`s map for 5 days so the new player can avoid him. Of course, the `butcher` cannot see him, but there will be a POP-up that announces everyone that one player entered the map at the time he did. But the spawning point will remain a secret.

OR

B) If one player that killed at least 2 other players is still alive, the new player may start with a spear and maybe manages to stay alive.

So let's say I buy my friends copies of Don't Starve. (GO KLEI!)

When we all start a game together, will they gain EXP normally based on number of days survived once dead? If there is a Ghost/Revive system in place, how will games of DST Generate EXP for new players and thus how will they choose different characters aside from Wilson? Will you be able to choose any character from the beginning? (Stopping games of 4 Wilsons at the start) More importantly what will happen if experienced players choose powerful characters like Maxwell for PvP and let their shadow clones murder new players in a rampage?

Can you go into Adventure Mode together? If you can, will all players unlock the secret character upon completion? If one player unlocks Webber, will all of them unlock webber? If one player unlocks Wes, will all unlock Wes? How is this going to work? WHO GETS STUCK ON THE NIGHTMARE THRONE!? OH THE HUMANITY!

Personally I think Chester should be an independant in DST PVP that you can feed food to keep it loyal to you. Once the first player finds the eye-bone then uses it, Chester will appear.

• Works on a Loyalty point system based on feeding Chester, capped at 50.
  • If your Loyalty with Chester is lower than another player, the Eye-bone poofs into their inventory.
  • Chesters inventory independent. (PLAYERS CAN TAKE ITEMS FROM CHESTER IF THEY HAVE THE EYE-BONE. YOUR ITEMS. REMEMBER TO NOT STORE ANYTHING REALLY IMPORTANT!)
  • Players can see Chester on the map close-by if they hit TAB. There should also be noises indicating Chester is near.
  • When a player dies, Chesters Loyalty is set to 0 and there is no more eye-bone until he gains 1 point of loyalty.
  • Do you want to risk giving food to Chester? Hurting your own chances of survival just so you can have the boon of an extra 9 inventory slots? Do you think another player would be happy with you feeding their Chester like that? No! NO I SAY!
  • DONT TOUCH MY CHESTER!

However for PvE... *Rubs chin*

I would say Chester is more like a team puppy.

• The first player to find the eye-bone keeps it or gives it away as needed.
  • All other players must craft a new lesser eye-bone or bone for Chester. (Possibly from Hound Attacks?)
  • Tap Chester on the head with the bone and he will start following you!
  • Chesters inventory is individual to player. (9 Slots on one chester, only if he follows you.)
  • Untap Chester to have him stop following you! He will then go to the Eye Bone!
  • You cannot swap loyalty with Chester while danger music is playing! Though you can stop him from following you!
  • The Eye-bone will always take precedence over other bones. (If Chester follows the Eye Bone user he cannot be used or opened by others until the Eye-bone user untaps Chester)
  • If a player goes far far away with Chester intending to keep him so far away you can never tap him with the Eye-bone again. Dropping the Eye-bone and picking it back up will cause Chester to respawn with all of his previous items intact.

@J20hawkz

I love all the ideas you have, especially concerning hallucinations. When multiple people are insane, they should all be able to see the same shadow creatures. I've always considered that the shadow/hallucination/magic aspect of Don't Starve as a hidden/different dimension that players are affected by when their minds aren't strong enough (insane) to hold back the flood gates of evil.  

Make your own mod. Not everyone is masochistic enough to want something that is frozen to magically unthaw because you ring a bell. xD Read your posts!

well, you're going with it "magically" unthawing stuff by being rung, the explanation could go simply by saying the pitch is so high or the bell is magical, so it should cause some weird side-effects.

My prefered way of looking at the bell problem would be, instead of making frozen things unthaw, treat it balance-wise like a super-weapon of sorts, not some random tree cutting thing that just because yes deals a thousand damage. Maybe it could even not wake up sleeping monsters. The way that just doesn't leave my mind of doing this is making it so the Old Bell is either found in the ruins or crafted from thulecite(makes more sense than wings and flowers, BTW). It would both make it so that it's worthwhile to explore the ruins in the search of the mythcal Old Bell scroll(blueprint) and the materials to make one(because there's not really as much cool stuff down there as the Devs seem to think). could even be in a way that hints of a possible relation between the Ruins people and the Big foot(and probably the merms), as they even seem somewhat similar.

I'm not that masochist, but I believe some game balance changes are necessary so that people stop thinking of summoning of a massive foot coming from the sea as a neat tool you get from walking around in full moon and so cheap you can even use it in tree farms

Just have two normal chesters, each randomly spawned around the world. But you could change this in world options and setting him to None, to Default or to More.

Is that too much to ask?

Or make things even simpler and have only one. Finders keepers right? Besides it's Don't Starve Together so sharing will almost be like caring in this game.

Or make things even simpler and have only one. Finders keepers right? Besides it's Don't Starve Together so sharing will almost be like caring in this game.

I think the best way to resolve it is to make Chester a playable character. No crafting, but add gathering, barfing, and maybe biting to his repetoire, and only give him full vision near an eyebone.

I had a feeling the devs would do that. It seems the perfect solution. No messing around, no nonsense approach. Keeps Chester that more special and that much more important.

I can see teams splitting up and fighting over who takes Chester. Klei just created the start of something brilliant:

Capture the Chester.

I had a feeling the devs would do that. It seems the perfect solution. No messing around, no nonsense approach. Keeps Chester that more special and that much more important.

I can see teams splitting up and fighting over who takes Chester. Klei just created the start of something brilliant:

Capture the Chester.

I can deffinitly see games of "Capture the Chester" becoming a thing. Even whole servers and maps dedicated to it. :D

Archived