How to Rebalance Don't Starve for Multiplayer? Console Commands Yes/No? page 16

How do you mean?

If you forget you can tame the lobsters then you won't tame the lobsters. Therefore they have no reason to go to the surface, and because of that they won't reproduce like mad on the surface.

I got several ideas and answers to questions when going through this thread. Here they are:

DST SHOULD be a 4-player co-op. That means, as in most co-op games, leave friendly fire off. Environmental damage can remain, and a player could ctrl-click to sic a pig army on a fellow player maybe, but that's it. If it is co-op, then a public server option is probably ill-advised. Especially if there can only be TWO TO FOUR players on any server. So we should progress based on the assumption that you are playing with someone you deem as trustworthy, like a friend or relative (though shenanigans may still happen)

For insanity, I got an idea. In Dead Space 3, there was a cool thing done in co-op where one player hallucinates while the other sees everything normally. If so, then an insane player in DST could be seen by the other player as running around and taking damage/attacking invisible creatures, or just standing and clutching their head from another's perspective while they flee from nightmares.

Lots of people have been saying on the forums stuff about barely using sleep-based items anyway. So sleep-based items/mechanics(except for the mandrake's sleep effect when cooked/eaten) should be scrapped in DST for maybe a small passive sanity gain for all players and/or buffed dress items/sanity gain from foods. Healing items may be buffed slightly as well.

I believe that to alleviate concerns about resource management and all that, the number of players must be predetermined and thus affect the worldgen settings based around resources/threats.(a 2 player world may have 300 extra grass/saplings spawn than in a vanilla world, versus the worldgen's current definitions of "more" and "lots"

As for hounds, what if the special hound chance was boosted? That would make fire/ice hounds be more likely to be encountered early on, and they are more powerful counterparts of Hounds anyway...

THE MAPS DO NOT NEED TO BE MADE LARGER. While a larger world = more room to explore, players could each have their own map so they have to rely on each other to find common places,and anyway, are we forgetting caves and all that other stuff? 2 sinkholes per world = 4 extra worlds to explore. Besides, a larger map may be selected in worldgen settings.

As for health/hunger/sanity meters, I think they will clutter up the HUD. Maybe  temporary meters could appear below your meters when you mouse over a certain player, or there could be just three mini-icons of a brain, heart, and stomach that vary on the spectrum of green to yellow to red based on their level for a more generic thing.

While more people = a larger total inventory, each person still needs basic resources for survival/fire making, so having each person having their own chester isn't that bad of an idea. Anyway, with more than one player, hopefully the AI can be recoded so that the players are prioritized to be targeted over the Chesters. Or, the chesters can be nerfed to be less tanky. Eye bones could be interchangeable though, so one player could go on a MASSIVE harvesting expedition across the entire map, while the other four do something else.

@goldfish911 we have touched on these throughout the thread, but it's good that someone new has shared their opinion and I think it's about time we recapped on some important topics. Please let me know what you think.

1. Max 2-4 Players

Agreed, DST would feel much more smoother gameplay wise with 2-4 players maximum. It just feels and makes more sense. This isn't an MMO and saying that, nearly every Co-op based game I've played, 2-4 players has been the norm. Halo 4, Spiral Knights, Left 4 Dead, Borderlands, Gears of War, Super Smash Bros Melee, Golden Axe, Alien Swarm, Golden Eye, Time Splitters 2 etc...

2. Sanity

I like this sanity idea. Have the player who is insane show the "insane animation" or have like a dark red/purple haze emitting from them (dragon ball Z style) when they are insane. The darker the haze the more insane the player. We obviously can't see the hallucinations if we aren't insane, but we can see the same hallucinations as another insane player when we are insane, basically suggesting hallucinations are always around us we just can't see them until we are insane.

3. Sleep

We raised the suggestion earlier that sleep would work in such a way that if someone decides to use the Tent for example, he/she would disappear inside the Tent and for them time will not skip, instead they will appear in spectator mode. So while their charcter sleeps they can shuffle through all the other players and see what they are doing. To be fair we don't use sleep based items very often (at least I don't) so the odd chance you do, I'm sure we won't mind waiting around on a one off. Somewhere in this thread I mentioned max and min times for waiting while asleep, check it out. We can also chat so that helps pass time also.

4. Resources Scaling

This is a must, the more players there are the more resources there needs to be. In Don't Starve vanilla the default world is balanced for singleplayer. Now just picture the same world with no scaling of resources for 4 players, you'll be hard pressed for resources no doubt.

5. Map Size

I disagree. Maps should increase in size based on the number of players by default. That does not mean for 2 players the map doubles in size or for 3 players it triples in size. There needs to be a compromise. It would be silly to have 4 players and scaled up resources on a default map. Everything will be too close together and far too easy to gather. The world will feel cramped and overly clustered.

6. Player Stats

Agreed. I mentioned this earlier somewhere. Hovering over a player will show smallish meters above or around them indicating each stat by a number out of the total. Or we could bring up a menu briefly entailing each players stats. Might be something we can craft? "Monocle" once equipped brings up each players stats on screen. Like in Final Fantasy X you have the move "Sense".

7. Chester

Four Chesters on screen...hmm bit OP don't you think? I personally think there should only be One Chester but the eye bone can be swapped amongst party members. Four Chesters being able to follow one person is way too convenient. That's 36 extra slots. Who needs a backpack then. Just suit up with log suit and gather, gather, gather. No thanks.

The entire rock lobster reproducing system should be heavily altered or given the boot. It has been brought up repeatedly in the past how much of a problem rock lobsters on the surface can be... Maybe rock lobsters should be given their slurtle mound equivalent that spawns more of them, and only in the caves. Let these spawners have a max amount of active rock lobsters (also counting the ones on the surface/ruins due to the players bringing them there). No more rock lobster surface invasion :)

Or why not give Rocklobsters a life cycle. It takes 40 days for a Rocklobster to reach max size/strength/health so add on another 10 days or so on top and that's their life cycle.

Only fully grown maxed out Rocklobsters can reproduce. So that gives them 10 days to make new rock babies. Once 50 days are up they turn into solid lumps of rock, perfect for mining.

What do you think?

@goldfish911 we have touched on these throughout the thread, but it's good that someone new has shared their opinion and I think it's about time we recapped on some important topics. Please let me know what you think.

1. Max 2-4 Players

Agreed, DST would feel much more smoother gameplay wise with 2-4 players maximum. It just feels and makes more sense. This isn't an MMO and saying that, nearly every Co-op based game I've played, 2-4 players has been the norm. Halo 4, Spiral Knights, Left 4 Dead, Borderlands, Gears of War, Super Smash Bros Melee, Golden Axe, Alien Swarm, Golden Eye, Time Splitters 2 etc...

2. Sanity

I like this sanity idea. Have the player who is insane show the "insane animation" or have like a dark red/purple haze emitting from them (dragon ball Z style) when they are insane. The darker the haze the more insane the player. We obviously can't see the hallucinations if we aren't insane, but we can see the same hallucinations as another insane player when we are insane, basically suggesting hallucinations are always around us we just can't see them until we are insane.

3. Sleep

We raised the suggestion earlier that sleep would work in such a way that if someone decides to use the Tent for example, he/she would disappear inside the Tent and for them time will not skip, instead they will appear in spectator mode. So while their charcter sleeps they can shuffle through all the other players and see what they are doing. To be fair we don't use sleep based items very often (at least I don't) so the odd chance you do, I'm sure we won't mind waiting around on a one off. Somewhere in this thread I mentioned max and min times for waiting while asleep, check it out. We can also chat so that helps pass time also.

4. Resources Scaling

This is a must, the more players there are the more resources there needs to be. In Don't Starve vanilla the default world is balanced for singleplayer. Now just picture the same world with no scaling of resources for 4 players, you'll be hard pressed for resources no doubt.

5. Map Size

I disagree. Maps should increase in size based on the number of players by default. That does not mean for 2 players the map doubles in size or for 3 players it triples in size. There needs to be a compromise. It would be silly to have 4 players and scaled up resources on a default map. Everything will be too close together and far too easy to gather. The world will feel cramped and overly clustered.

6. Player Stats

Agreed. I mentioned this earlier somewhere. Hovering over a player will show smallish meters above or around them indicating each stat by a number out of the total. Or we could bring up a menu briefly entailing each players stats. Might be something we can craft? "Monocle" once equipped brings up each players stats on screen. Like in Final Fantasy X you have the move "Sense".

7. Chester

Four Chesters on screen...hmm bit OP don't you think? I personally think there should only be One Chester but the eye bone can be swapped amongst party members. Four Chesters being able to follow one person is way too convenient. That's 36 extra slots. Who needs a backpack then. Just suit up with log suit and gather, gather, gather. No thanks.

I'll highlight the points that you disagree/elaborate a bit on my reasoning on others.

3.Sleep

I think that while going into a spectator mode while sleeping may be somewhat boring, and sleeping's main purpose is to skip time, so I foresee one person sleeping before a hound wave while the other player must deal with it solo. That would be unbalanced. That's why I believe sleeping should be scrapped unless Wickerbottom's insomnia is disabled in multiplayer at least so all players can sleep simultaneously to skip time. Like in minecraft, as unless all players sleep simultaneously, beds have no effect.

4/5. As I said, map size should be a player choice. I conducted a poll, and it seems players of DS prefer mainly a central base. So, a "central base" would become impossible unless wormholes nearby offer convenient long-distance mobility. Imagine having to travel several days to get to the closest swamp biome. Although cramped resources would make things problematic as well, what if regrowth time was just scaled a bit, so it takes less time for resources to regrow so it can be better distributed amongst more players? Then several players could survive on the same number of cutgrass/twigs/berrybushes!(so an incremental decrease in grow time absed on # of players. Not 4x for 4 players, mind you, but maybe 3.25x instead.)

7. Think of how different playing without chester in DS is vs playing with a chester. I believe each player deserves to have the 9 inventory slots extra, due to inventories still having the tendency to quickly fill. 4 players each with one chester is still OP if you consider their total inventory, anyway. Anyway, making chesters more fragile would rebalance quite a bit, as imagine the problem resulting from a player with full inventory losing two chesters full of resources to a spider swarm or tallbird. Otherwise, I am unsure what to do with chester.

Maybe a max of 2 would be enough!

@goldfish911

3. Yeah but that's player choice. If a hound attack is coming then all players can sleep to skip to the next day. Sleeping can't be taken out of the game, if someone wants to raise their sanity quickly, then in Don't Starve Together that's the cost, waiting. But it's only a few minutes. I personally don't see the problem going into spectator mode while sleeping.

4/5. That's fair enough but when I mean increase in world map size being default to increasing in number of players I don't mean huge maps. While we are discussing, what's the problem with having the largest map from Don't Starve vanilla to support max 4 players in Don't Starve Together? Then it slowly scales down from 3 to 2 players. Perfect base location is having "important" resources located close by, beefalo, pigs, rocks, Marsh Biome. Two out of the four can be relocated. So late game you won't need to rely heavily on worm holes. I've actually never once used a worm hole to explore 100% of the map.

7. So you don't think having 4 Chesters on one character is OP? Even if Chester was nerfed, we would just leave him behind if encountering hostile mobs. I do that anyway. I keep the eye bone in my backpack, when I see something that is hostile I equip a log suit automatically dropping the backpack with the eye bone on the ground, causing Chester to remain stationary while I move on ahead.

A solution to sleeping and skipping time

Firstly sleeping should not be taken out of the game. So my solution is this.

Using tents, straw rolls and fur rolls causes the player(s) about to use said item to trigger a timer. The timer ticks down from a set amount of time, for argument sake we can make it 30 seconds. If all players have not used said item to sleep within the 30 second time frame the player(s) who originally used said items to trigger the timer are instantly awoken/ejected from said item with no loss in uses to item and no effect gained or lost from said item.

Mandrake should just be taken out of Don't Starve Together. I'm too lazy to come up with a solution for this.

Wickerbottom won't have her insomnia cured for Don't Starve Together, but she will be able to use tents, straw rolls and fur rolls. Only downside is she won't have her sanity increased but won't also have any negative effects from using said items.

Should there be PVP? My view on page 3.

Should there be friendly fire/team killing?

Should monsters be harder to kill?

Should there be larger maps, bigger biomes?

How will we gain aggro on monsters now that there are two or more of us in the same game?

Can we share loot?

Will Vargs now spawn in hound attacks (had to throw this in sorry)?

Will we need more World Customisation options?

How will sanity work? Will we be able to see our friends hallucinations even though we aren't going insane?

How will sleeping in tents work? If I go to sleep will the day skip for all of us?

Will each player now get their own Chester?

Hopefully each party is restricted to max 4 (any more and things get too out of hand). So will having 4 Chesters in game be right?

Will we be able to store our loot in a friends Chester?

If there are 4 Chesters shouldn't there be a 4th new type of Chester?

If things get scaled up in difficulty can Chester have the ability to attack? Maybe a paralysing Gastly Lick attack?

4 Chesters mean 4 of the same thing tanking and distracting monsters.

Should Chester have regeneration of health?

Should Chester come back to life when spawned?

How will death work? If one player dies does the game end?

Can the dead player re join?

What do you think about player health/hunger/sanity bars? If we can see how high or low our friends health is we can share resources effectively without having to waste resources on someone who doesn't need it. Can you really trust someone desperate to survive?

Yes.

You should really be asking "Should there be teams?". But yes, there should be backstabbing and treachery.

No.

Yes.

Once aggroed, they should attack anyone nearby.

Yes and no. Depends on what you mean by that.

Only in RoG worlds.

Yes.

No, only if you're insane. Also, I think being around other people should restore sanity, the same way being with pigs does.

No, only if everyone is sleeping at the same time.

No, only the person who has the eye bone.

No, just one chester. Anyone can put things in it though, it just follows whoever has the eyebone.

No.

There's only one chester.

Yes.

Yes.

No.

Yes.

Yes, and it depends on the person.

These are my opinions.

For some reason, I feel like for DST we need two chesters. Not one, not more or anything, just Two. Just the feeling of it. Two Chesters would be great actually. Myself I wouldn't like too many actually, but one only seems kinda daft and sad that Chester is the only one of his kind, so what if we have two chesters instead? But both Eyebones would be found in different places, say you find first on one road and the second on another road, or find one on a road and the other in a swamp. This would also give you both of the evolved Chester experiences so you don't have to get him killed to have the other evolution if you didn't like the one you chose before.

PS. Make it so that There is a chance for Eyebone being possible to find in the Graveyard for DST!

For some reason, I feel like for DST we need two chesters. Not one, not more or anything, just Two. Just the feeling of it. Two Chesters would be great actually. Myself I wouldn't like too many actually, but one only seems kinda daft and sad that Chester is the only one of his kind, so what if we have two chesters instead? But both Eyebones would be found in different places, say you find first on one road and the second on another road, or find one on a road and the other in a swamp.

PS. Make it so that There is a chance for Eyebone being possible to find in the Graveyard for DST!

No offense, but "being sad that Chester is the only one of his kind" isn't exactly a good reason to shun the idea of just one Chester.

No offense, but "being sad that Chester is the only one of his kind" isn't exactly a good reason to shun the idea of just one Chester.

But why not two, that's what I wanna know. Yes, Chester might be a single kind of creature, but... Ehh, how about it being an option then? You could choose to have 1 or 2 Eyebones to spawn in your world. Or how about 0? In case you don't want chester for some reason (Say in Webber's case) you would set him to 0.

But why not two, that's what I wanna know. Yes, Chester might be a single kind of creature, but... Ehh, how about it being an option then? You could choose to have 1 or 2 Eyebones to spawn in your world. Or how about 0? In case you don't want chester for some reason (Say in Webber's case) you would set him to 0.

But there aren't two chesters in the regular game. Why should there be two in multiplayer? He's basically just a backpack that can die.

A possible solution to quitting and rejoining in Don't Starve Together.

Originally posted here. @spiritcrusher77 or anyone else who has already seen my suggestion and asked me about it, please don't feel the need to discuss my idea here, I'll be happy to carry on answering your questions at the original thread. This is only here so I keep track of all the suggestions I have made in regards to Don't Starve Together.

This is based on the fact we are all working together. No pvp. 

When we start a new game for the first time in Don't Starve Together all players are spawned in random parts of the map. We must find each other basically (incorporates the loneliness feeling we have in Don't Starve with the fear of not being able to find someone). This idea is debatable and I can understand why some may not want this. 

Now the main part. At any time when we decide to quit the game, we press ESC then click Save and Quit or what ever the process is for quitting (not important). As soon as we leave the game, we instantly leave behind an indestructible Meat Effigy in the exact place we quit. Nothing can destroy it. 

Now regardless of what time or what situation we are about to rejoin our game in, we will rejoin our game by spawning directly inside the Meat Effigy we left behind when we quit. As soon as our game loads (there will definitely be a loading screen due to internet server connection etc...) a timer is triggered counting down from 10 seconds. Within this time we are inside the Meat Effigy and are basically indestructible/immune to any form of damage or whatever the world of Don’t Starve throws at us. As soon as the 10 seconds are over we break free, we can also break free at any time within the 10 seconds by pressing any of the WASD keys. 

So if it's night we can craft a torch or camp fire and hover it over a place to craft (green placement icon) once we are outside the Meat Effigy we can place the camp fire. Or as soon as we craft it we break free. Again this is debatable. 

For some reason, I feel like for DST we need two chesters. Not one, not more or anything, just Two. Just the feeling of it. Two Chesters would be great actually. Myself I wouldn't like too many actually, but one only seems kinda daft and sad that Chester is the only one of his kind, so what if we have two chesters instead? But both Eyebones would be found in different places, say you find first on one road and the second on another road, or find one on a road and the other in a swamp. This would also give you both of the evolved Chester experiences so you don't have to get him killed to have the other evolution if you didn't like the one you chose before.

I was also thinking Chester should stay at one. Technically Chester is one of a kind, and just imagine if there were 4 on screen (people won't be happy with 2 due to jealousy over someone else in the team having one, same can be said with 1, but deal with it) you could have 4 Snow Chesters and never have any need to make Ice Boxes. Or 4 Chesters following behind one person 9 × 4 = 36 extra slots. Even 2 with 18 slots is too much as a free "storage".

To compensate how about we get an extra Chester (max 4) each time we accomplish something.

1. Find the eye bone on the surface

2. Find the eye bone in the caves

3. Find the eye bone in the ruins

4. Find an eye bone in Adventure mode in Don't Starve Together (hopefully there is one)

Or simply find the four things and start a new world and keep finding eye bones like that. Max 4 times (hoping Don't Starve Together is 2-4 players only).

I was also thinking Chester should stay at one. Technically Chester is one of a kind, and just imagine if there were 4 on screen (people won't be happy with 2 due to jealousy over someone else in the team having one, same can be said with 1, but deal with it) you could have 4 Snow Chesters and never have any need to make Ice Boxes. Or 4 Chesters following behind one person 9 × 4 = 36 extra slots. Even 2 with 18 slots is too much as a free "storage".

To compensate how about we get an extra Chester (max 4) each time we accomplish something.

1. Find the eye bone on the surface

2. Find the eye bone in the caves

3. Find the eye bone in the ruins

4. Find an eye bone in Adventure mode in Don't Starve Together (hopefully there is one)

Or simply find the four things and start a new world and keep finding eye bones like that. Max 4 times (hoping Don't Starve Together is 2-4 players only).

Hmm, I kind of like where you're going with this. Thought there are three caves in each world, ergo, 3 ruins giving you a total of 7 chesters (WAY too much). Adventure mode already has its own chester in every world, so you can't collect them from there.

Best if we stick to 2 chesters max.

Hmm, I kind of like where you're going with this. Thought there are three caves in each world, ergo, 3 ruins giving you a total of 7 chesters (WAY too much). Adventure mode already has its own chester in every world, so you can't collect them from there.

Best if we stick to 2 chesters max.

Should have made that more clear. 1 eye bone is somewhere in the caves. So you need to explore each cave and every floor to find it. Same goes with the ruins. So in one world you can only find 4 Eyebones. Obviously the first one is the easiest (surface), if you want to share then cool, if not you're going to have to do some serious exploring. In Adventure mode the eye bone could be on any world, so that makes it quite a challenge as well.

I say max 4 Chesters as long as it involves "serious " exploration. If not then I agree with you on 2 max.

Or, ACTIVATE THE C.C.D (Chester cloning device)

yep. and I'm sure there are other examples. I just like the idea of uniqueness and having to choose what to give to who. I know by and large that won't be the case however. It'd just be...cool.

But shouldn't that ONLY apply to things in game that aren't player crafted?

Archived