Cannibalism (not a joke this time)

Cannibalism (not a joke this time)   

432 members have voted

1. 1. Should Cannibalism be a thing in the game?

• Yes. Embrace the dark side!
    • No. You psycho...

I read the idea. I have to say: Nope.

Craftable graves makes no sense since you get a graveyard in a world and it'd be like what you do with Webber's Skull to unlock Webber.

Cannibalism is a bad idea since it just means more PvP when you're running out of food.

In general It makes gameplay worse and only makes you want to kill your friends when you run out of food.

I read the idea. I have to say: Nope.

Craftable graves makes no sense since you get a graveyard in a world and it'd be like what you do with Webber's Skull to unlock Webber.

Cannibalism is a bad idea since it just means more PvP when you're running out of food.

In general It makes gameplay worse and only makes you want to kill your friends when you run out of food.

You mean, it would  be too easy to bury Webber´s skull? Maybe the feature could only be in multiplayer, that would solve that problem.

If there is PvP, I guarantee you, cannibals or not, people will try to kill you anyway. It doesn´t make you want to kill your friends, as it reduces sanity,

This certainly raises some basic controversy. DS is always looking to strive to be original and different and implementing cannibalism would certainly bring more attention to the game, regardless if it's bad or good, growth could always lead to a larger player base.

In multiplayer, being able to kill each other is a pretty neat survival of the fittest concept and having a chunk of meat to go along with a victory would be a nice plus.

How about in order to not have players abuse the system, a player could only attack another when the hunger meter is at 0 or extremely low--thus, justifying the act of cannibalism, as well as to make going on a serial killer rampage have more risks.

I think that there should be an option to have PvP "on", "little", or "none". The effect could be seen in "on" and "little"?

I say that because some players (not me) are strongly against the idea of PvP, so... eh. More options is better, right?

I think that there should be an option to have PvP "on", "little", or "none". The effect could be seen in "on" and "little"?

I say that because some players (not me) are strongly against the idea of PvP, so... eh. More options is better, right?

Definitely. Believe it or not, I know trolls who don't play Don't Starve simply because they can't get onto a "server," kill my friends and I, steal our stuff, and kick dirt on our graves.

While I don't (and probably won't) play with people like that, the option should be there so that it's a game for ALL gamer types, not just the avid players like us. Naturally, PvP servers would be a huge thing, but I, myself, would definitely only play co-op with all of my close don't starve brethren. (I'm not sure if there is going to be a server list or anything, just saying.)

You mean, it would  be too easy to bury Webber´s skull? Maybe the feature could only be in multiplayer, that would solve that problem.

If there is PvP, I guarantee you, cannibals or not, people will try to kill you anyway. It doesn´t make you want to kill your friends, as it reduces sanity,

I still think it's a bad idea.

Cannibalism does. It´s something that it is a given in the survival genre. Think of Alive and The Road. And even outside of fiction, real cases like the Donner Party, the Uruguayan Air Force Flight 571 and the R v Dudly and Stephens case, where groups of people were stranded and separated from society, having to result to cannibalism to survive. Also, if you think of the influences which inspire Don´t Starve, which I would say are mostly Lovecraft and Edgar Allan Poe, they also incorporated themes of cannibalism in their literature. 

It fits with the style, it fits with the theme and it fits with the genre of Don´t Starve. I think it should be added.

I think people are vastly overestimating amount of cannibalism in survival situations and are mostly inspired by books and films which overuse this concept. Even New Guinean tribes who traditionally performed cannibalism now banned it because of the spread of diseases like kuru. Apart from being unethical, cannibalism often leads to serious diseases. Many armies command their soldiers never to eat rats, not even when starving, as the risks are much bigger than potential benefits. It is not possible to assume that everybody will eat everything in survival situations.

I wonder why nobody on these forums talks about health penalty for cannibalism. I hope that cannibalism will not be added but if it was added they should implement this mechanic to make it more realistic: if you decide to commit cannibalism, you will automatically die in 10-20 days from a neurodegenerative disease (like kuru). No cure will be available.

I think people are vastly overestimating amount of cannibalism in survival situations and are mostly inspired by books and films which overuse this concept. Even New Guinean tribes who traditionally performed cannibalism now banned it because of the spread of diseases like kuru. Apart from being unethical, cannibalism often leads to serious diseases. Many armies command their soldiers never to eat rats, not even when starving, as the risks are much bigger than potential benefits. It is not possible to assume that everybody will eat everything in survival situations.

I wonder why nobody on these forums talks about health penalty for cannibalism. I hope that cannibalism will not be added but if it was added they should implement this mechanic to make it more realistic: if you decide to commit cannibalism, you will automatically die in 10-20 days from a neurodegenerative disease (like kuru). No cure will be available.

Oh, that´s interesting, I didn´t know that was a thing. I wonder why it brings diseases.

I don´t get the point of the rats though, how is that linked to the other diseases?

I was thinking stuff like the airplane crash in the Andes or The Donner Party, those were real case, but I don´t know whether they got ill or not.

Oh, that´s interesting, I didn´t know that was a thing. I wonder why it brings diseases.

I don´t get the point of the rats though, how is that linked to the other diseases?

I was thinking stuff like the airplane crash in the Andes or The Donner Party, those were real case, but I don´t know whether they got ill or not.

Kuru is a prion disease (for those without biology background prions are misfolded proteins that misfold other proteins they touch and these misfolded proteins keep spreading through the brain and disrupt brain function). Prion diseases are not spread through air (fortunately), but through direct consumption of the meat containing them. In New Guinean tribes this caused a chain reaction, as only one infected person was needed to infect large amount of the tribe.

Wild rats are a common vector (carrier) of a vast variety of diseases.

Monster Meat. The players can drop monster meat.

What about a player who's innocent drops normal meat and a player who killed another player drops monster meat?

Monster Meat. The players can drop monster meat.

What about a player who's innocent drops normal meat and a player who killed another player drops monster meat?

A monster is a word we use in general to call something or someone, when we believe them to be heartless and evil. Now tell me, does this lady look like a monster to you?

Wickerbottom.png

Have to admit, Wickerbottom looks as if she had "plastic" surgery hahaha!

(get it....? Oh never mind)

Archived