Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

TheKingofSquirrels

Cannibalism (not a joke this time)

Cannibalism (not a joke this time)   

430 members have voted

1. 1. Should Cannibalism be a thing in the game?

• Yes. Embrace the dark side!
    • No. You psycho...

MeingroessterFan    4,139

I will say though, I really hope that player´s corpses don´t just despawn. Killing players should´t be something casual like killing animals. Also, if they die and all of their inventory just explodes in the air, it´s a bit too much like Minecraft. I know when players are resurrected, they turn into skeletons. I hope that´s not the same when players are killed, it would look a little silly in my opinion.

I'm pretty sure that's what's going to be happening though.

Ridley    609

Well, I think at least (let´s forget about the cannibalism for a second here) player´s corpses should stay and have some purpose. I don´t think that killing a player should be something casual like killing an animal, where they just despawn after being killed. I think remains should be left of some kind. Do you at least agree with the idea of being able to bury the dead in respect?

I´m a vegetarian, so to me it´s just as bad, but anyway, point is I still think there is some gruesome stuff in the game.

I love Papers Please. What I´m trying to say is, I don´t like moral choices when they actually change the story with a bad or good ending. I think moral choices should just affect the player as a person outside of the game, like in The Walking Dead, where the choices you make really make you go "Gee...I´m a horrible person" and make you doubt your entire life, but don´t really change the story that much.

I still think the comparison to sex is ridiculous and I think people were sensitive to the satanic icon because of religious reasons. I like it because of the depressing realism it brings to the game and I personally believe that Don´t Starve is dark and mature enough to handle and adopt this feature appropriately, but I understand your points against it and I get that some people will be sensitive and react badly to it. 

" If you want to jump right into MP, then on death you character will drop a skull and be locked in your menu. You must then choose a new character to spawn from the MP server door as. Once the skull is buried, that old character is re-unlocked." - Myself

This was part of my proposal for the MP death mechanic. Skulls were a popular thing and with the new Webber unlocking trick, other players posed ideas for something similar. I threw a idea based on community inspiration because I want fully thought out death mechanic ideas for MP.

I think Kevin said he was vegetarian as well.

The biggest moral choices in Don't Starve is the throne and glommer (off the top of my mind), and neither one was cared much for. Moral choices in a game with no ending is kind of tough to make impactful.

Maybe instead of choosing to bury them or eat them, you could choose to bury them and get a sanity boost or use a hammer to get bone shards and a possible item they had with a sanity loss? And maybe if you choose to do a bad thing to a corpse, there is a chance a ghost could spawn? If the whole inventory drops on death, everyone will be killing each other, so I hope that isn't the case. 

Yeah, I like that. In regards to the inventory concerns, I´m pretty sure that´s what´s going to happen unfortunately. I don´t know if you´ve ever noticed, but in single-player when you die, all of your stuff falls out. So...I don´t know, hopefully they change it. 

Hey, what about necrophilia to boost your sanity?...

I´m kidding...

" If you want to jump right into MP, then on death you character will drop a skull and be locked in your menu. You must then choose a new character to spawn from the MP server door as. Once the skull is buried, that old character is re-unlocked." - Myself

This was part of my proposal for the MP death mechanic. Skulls were a popular thing and with the new Webber unlocking trick, other players posed ideas for something similar. I threw a idea based on community inspiration because I want fully thought out death mechanic ideas for MP.

I think Kevin said he was vegetarian as well.

The biggest moral choices in Don't Starve is the throne and glommer (off the top of my mind), and neither one was cared much for. Moral choices in a game with no ending is kind of tough to make impactful.

Yeah, I discovered today that all of the characters have skulls, maybe they could drop those instead.

What´s MP?

mrtwoface    80

Yeah, I discovered today that all of the characters have skulls, maybe they could drop those instead.

What´s MP?

MP = Multiplayer, and all the characters have complete skeletons (as revealed when they get hit by lightning), even WX.

Flare2V    1,247

- When a player reaches a certain level of sanity, all other players will look like Gobblers. 

Replace the "certain level of sanity" with starving and  maybe give it a 5% or so chance every time a player begins to starve and you're golden.

Sideview    81

Replace the "certain level of sanity" with starving and  maybe give it a 5% or so chance every time a player begins to starve and you're golden.

Combine "a certain level of sanity" with "a certain level of hunger" and it's ok.

J20hawkz    768

What!?!? You like this idea?

Ok Don't Starve is officially going to get ruined.

What´s not to like? It´s optional, it´s sensible to the genre and the dark style of the game, and honestly, it makes sense...If you are starving together, cannibalism would be an issue... 

J20hawkz    768

What´s not to like? It´s optional, it´s sensible to the genre and the dark style of the game, and honestly, it makes sense...If you are starving together, cannibalism would be an issue...

No thanks. You feel free to eat everyone in another game. This isn't the Walking Dead.

No thanks. You feel free to eat everyone in another game. This isn't the Walking Dead.

It´s optional, so you don´t have to eat anyone. It doesn´t affect you in anyway.

If the game is PVP (and I hope so) then you would still be hunted down by other people, cannibals or not.

J20hawkz    768

It´s optional, so you don´t have to eat anyone. It doesn´t affect you in anyway.

If the game is PVP (and I hope so) then you would still be hunted down by other people, cannibals or not.

Ok then it that case I suggest fully automatic guns and rocket launchers for Don't Starve. Obviously it will be optional. It won't affect you.

Ok then it that case I suggest fully automatic guns and rocket launchers for Don't Starve. Obviously it will be optional. It won't affect you.

That has nothing to do with anything. 

Cannibalism is part of the survival genre whether you like it or not, especially, if the main issue is starvation. Think about Alive. Or think about real life cases where people were stuck in the wilderness like the Donner Party. Even the the main influences of Don´t Starve, Lovecraft and Edgar Allen Poe, had cannibalism in their literature.

Your gun and rockets example has nothing to with anything.

I´ve edited the Poll, so maybe you find it a little bit better know.

J20hawkz    768

That has nothing to do with anything. 

Cannibalism is part of the survival genre whether you like it or not, especially, if the main issue is starvation. Think about Alive. Or think about real life cases where people were stuck in the wilderness like the Donner Party. Even the the main influences of Don´t Starve, Lovecraft and Edgar Allen Poe, had cannibalism in their literature.

Your gun and rockets example has nothing to with anything.

Of course it does.

If you're going to try and eat us I want better ways of dealing with you, quickly and effectively. I don't want you anywhere near me in game.

But I think you missed the obvious point in my gun suggestion. As irrelevant guns are to Don't Starve, so is cannibalism in Don't Starve. Big emphasis on Don't Starve.

Of course it does.

If you're going to try and eat us I want better ways of dealing with you, quickly and effectively. I don't want you anywhere near me in game.

But I think you missed the obvious point in my gun suggestion. As irrelevant guns are to Don't Starve, so is cannibalism in Don't Starve. Big emphasis on Don't Starve.

Guns are irrelevant...Yes. Cannibalism is irrelevant...No and because of the reasons I JUST explained.

Why would I eat you? It would reduce my sanity. Did you even read the bloody thing! 

Also,  (I´ve already said this) if the game is PVP I would kill you not because I want to eat you, but because I would want your stuff. IF the game was PVP, maybe it´s not, in that case, then this entire game mechanic is useless.

J20hawkz    768

Guns are irrelevant...Yes. Cannibalism is irrelevant...No and because of the reason I JUST explained.

Why would I eat you? It would reduce my sanity. Did you even read the bloody thing!

Wait. Will your sanity meter fill or empty if you eat someone?

J20hawkz    768

Empty. Maybe 50 per piece.

So you will become more insane basically. Ok. Yep awesome idea. Let's focus on starving each other, instead of gathering resources and making a self sustaining base, then wait for someone to die and eat them. On top of that let's become more insane as well.

I'm laughing so hard right now I'm in stitches :)

So you will become more insane basically. Ok. Yep awesome idea. Let's focus on starving each other, instead of gathering resources and making a self sustaining base, then wait for someone to die and eat them. On top of that let's become more insane as well.

I'm laughing so hard right now I'm in stitches :-)

I don´t understand the sarcasm. This is not something you would want to do, right? You would only do this if you were in a very bad state and desperately needed food.

And like I said, your guns and rockets point has nothing to do with anything, cannibalism fits in Don´t Starve for the reasons I´ve mentioned. I could maybe understand if you think it´s a bit too dark. But apart from that, it fits the genre, the theme, the concept and conventions of this game. 

Well...At least now you know how it feels.

Do you still think Polls represent the community accurately?   

Also, at least I fully read your suggestion...

J20hawkz    768

Well...At least now you know how it feels.

Do you still think Polls represent the community accurately?

Also, at least I fully read your suggestion...

Lol It's cool mate. I just picture you being the only one trying to eat everyone on the team.

Regardless my vote is still No. Sorry.

Edit: I still can't stop laughing though sorry. I just can't get this concept of someone waiting for all of us to die and then eat us. It's crazy :)

J20hawkz    768

I don´t understand the sarcasm. This is not something you would want to do, right? You would only do this if you were in a very bad state and desperately needed food.

And like I said, your guns and rockets point has nothing to do with anything, cannibalism fits in Don´t Starve for the reasons I´ve mentioned. I could maybe understand if you think it´s a bit too dark. But apart from that, it fits the genre, the theme, the concept and conventions of this game.

Ok I'm not hating on your idea, so please don't feel as if I am, just because I find this whole concept disturbing in Don't Starve.

The only real benefit I can see from this suggestion is eating someone to regain hunger. Am I right?

polygone    127

Please read before voting: 

The reason I want this is because I don´t want players to just die, like for example:

- Fall down and despawn in front of you like if it was nothing and their death was completely meaningless. 

- Dying and having their inventory explode on to the ground. Too much like Minecraft.

- Turning into skeleton right after death. Stupid. Unless they are resurrected, which is fine, because that involves magic.

My idea would be that once someone dies, their corpse falls on the ground and then after a couple of days, it would turn into a skeleton. During that time you can either:

- Harvest the meat with an axe. Eating human meat would hurt player´s sanity.

- When a player dies, instead of eating them, you can actually do the decent human thing and bury them. This will add sanity to the player. Maybe a craft-able grave can be implemented (2x cut stone/showel) which has a tomb stone where you can write the player´s name on. This adds a moral choice to the game, as player´s will have to decide to either keep whatever is left of their humanity intact or do the unthinkable and descend into savagery to survive. 

- You can steal their inventory.

Other details:

- When a player reaches a certain level of hunger and sanity, all other players will look like Gobblers. 

- Wendy and Maxwell, because of their personalities, have a much bigger negative impact on their sanity if they eat human meat.

- A dead corpse acts similar to an Evil Flower, sanity decreases when close.

Also, developers, any thoughts? Could this be a reality?

I don't like the idea of other players becoming gobblers when low on sanity. I'd prefer it if people who are insane could work together to fight off the nightmares, since the hallucinations are just creatures drawn to insanity. Hard to coop with someone like that if the person you're working with is a gobbler. It's really silly actually. As far as the decaying corpse/sanity drain around a corpse I think that'd be a cool idea. Plus being able to cannibalize them for food as well as steal their stuff, though their stuff should still all drop on the ground around the corpse since that's what happens in single player. It'd have to be a large drop in sanity though, eating human is not something anyone would ever do sane. To be honest I think if you eat human your sanity should instantly drop to zero, but have the meat give a lot of hunger in return, as well as a decent health increase. If there's PvP there's a nice chance that corpse you're cannibalizing is someone you just murdered, so your health is bound to be low-ish unless you caught them off-guard. Same with being able to bury them for a sanity boost, that seems like a good idea as well. Then someone can come later and dig up the grave for a trinket heh.

Lol It's cool mate. I just picture you being the only one trying to eat everyone on the team.

Regardless my vote is still No. Sorry.

Edit: I still can't stop laughing though sorry. I just can't get this concept of someone waiting for all of us to die and then eat us. It's crazy :-)

Kind of the point isn't it? Eating human isn't something you'd normally do, so it'd be a last-ditch thing or otherwise you'd have a massive sanity decrease, it's the same reason my idea of having night vision items keep the night terror away from players in total darkness is balanced. Sanity loss can be devastating if you let it get to where terrorbeaks start spawning, especially if you don't have the equipment to deal with it.

~~~~~

Now that I think of it, perhaps eating human could have a permanent effect on sanity. Something like -5/-10 max sanity per piece of meat eaten, and each piece of human meat is about equivalent to a piece of monster meat (sanity wise anyways), except players like Webber will still gain the insanity effect from it when normally they'd be immune. That would heavily ward people against just slaughtering people for their meat, and of course if you die your max sanity will be restored. Or maybe have it somewhat permanent to where you lose -10 to -20 max sanity for about five days, over which time you slowly regain your max sanity back. That would mean you couldn't just eat a ton of cooked greencaps to become sane again, you'd actually have to deal with the effects of much lower sanity more readily. Yes you could keep yourself sane enough to not have to fight nightmare creatures, but you could easily fall into insanity at night. Especially if you're going around eating people constantly.