Cannibalism (not a joke this time)

Cannibalism (not a joke this time)   

432 members have voted

1. 1. Should Cannibalism be a thing in the game?

• Yes. Embrace the dark side!
    • No. You psycho...

It´s been so long since I´ve been on this thread, I´m amazed it has survived.

Well its a touchy topic, its fueled off of the flame that is people who want to eat other people and the people who find them disgusting and tell them.

Note: I changed my vote to yes.

Not sure if I posted this already but:

The canibalism will be impossible unless when you die you drop human meat, which is pointless. Reading what people write here makes me think you're just mad and weird. Just because it's internet, doesn't mean you can be a ******!

The canibalism will be impossible unless when you die you drop human meat, which is pointless. Reading what people write here makes me think you're just mad and weird. Just because it's internet, doesn't mean you can be a ******!

Did you know pacman's power pellets are actually just his offspring :o

Nah, there is nothing wrong with wanting to eat people as long as you don´t do it in real life.

I dont beleive Ive posted on this thread before, but I voted no awhile back.

This isnt a good idea, unless Klei can make it goofy enough or placid enough to fit the game its just potentially triggering for customers.

As Ive said in another thread a TON of kids play Don't starve, its not good to lose a large chunk of your player base just because some people want to eat people.

There are dark themes yes but its not based around physical horror, its based on psychological themes.

If this was truly based on survival, which is the argument I see a lot for cannibalism- I should be able to run around naked because I used my clothes as crafting ingredients, thirst meter should be a thing. I should be able to build a house if I have the materials or a boat, there should be a button to commit suicide or skin a beefalo alive. Stamina, sickness etc. But those aren't in the game because the developers didn't feel it was necessary or fitting to the theme.

This is a game with a giant electric Moose boss, do you really think something that a lot of people get sick over like cannibalism would really be a benefit to the game?

It may seem dark, but I love this idea. Just think, your food supplies are raided by a bearger and your only friend is killed. Almost starving, wouldn't you eat him to survive, at the cost of your sanity? There could also be a couple more uses for human meat (none of which I have thought of). There are some issues though. For example, what would WX78 drop? Hes not made of meat, although, his abilities are not quite as great compared to others. A compensation could be to make him drop boards and gears, rather than sanity inducing meat. If a perma-death system is implemented rather than a perma-respawn system, he could be farmed for gears in return for Wilson's beard hair. (From meat effigies). I haven't quite worked out the ups and downs of this specific dilemma, but it seems like a valid starting point to perfect this plausible system. I hope cannibalism gets into the game, and that it is gone about correctly. 

Sure Cannibalism would be nice, as long if its an option in world settings.

The option setting has become a extreme cop out. While it is nice to make a good play experience, every suggestion by the community might as well come with a disclaimer that reads: "If you disagree with the implementation of my idea, we could just make it a option."

In my opinion, it should have no option.  It should be a choice to the person, whether to be good or bad.  Together relies on the choices of everyone and working together, if someone breaks that it is their choice.  It is the other players choice what to do with that person.  Don't Starve is a free world game, made up in choices.  These things can determine if a player survives or not.  If a player thinks that eating the other person will prolong survival, they will have to deal with the consequences later.  (Same goes with PVP.)

In my opinion, it should have no option.  It should be a choice to the person, whether to be good or bad.  Together relies on the choices of everyone and working together, if someone breaks that it is their choice.  It is the other players choice what to do with that person.  Don't Starve is a free world game, made up in choices.  These things can determine if a player survives or not.  If a player thinks that eating the other person will prolong survival, they will have to deal with the consequences later.  (Same goes with PVP.)

I love you.

I think cannibalism should be in the game.
I think you could do a lot of interesting things with it. 
Someone mentioned taking loot from a dead person could decrease sanity.
Someone else mentioned that spider mobs and other hostile creatures, maybe even Charlie once it gets dark, could pick the corpse for meat. So you would have to dispose of the corpse quickly (Either burying it, or taking the meat yourself) Or leave that area to avoid all the creatures. 
I think both of these would make Cannibalism fit in the world a bit better.
If you were to get bandits dropping in your server with the sole purpose of killing everyone and taking your stuff. Then these might be feasible solutions to that problem. It means that they are endangering themselves by killing a player that could have otherwise helped them out.  
This alone might be enough to balance the risk and reward of killing other players. But there is no sure way to say without play testing it. 

tl dr:
Cannibalism = Yes
Taking loot and or flesh from other players = decrease in sanity
Creatures move in to pick carcass = risk and reward/decisions to be made
Option to bury corpse
Option to take meat
One last thing, maybe even a method for you to resurrect a player yourself

I think you could do a lot of interesting things with it. 

Someone mentioned taking loot from a dead person could decrease sanity.

Someone else mentioned that spider mobs and other hostile creatures, maybe even Charlie once it gets dark, could pick the corpse for meat. So you would have to dispose of the corpse quickly (Either burying it, or taking the meat yourself) Or leave that area to avoid all the creatures. 

I think both of these would make Cannibalism fit in the world a bit better.

If you were to get bandits dropping in your server with the sole purpose of killing everyone and taking your stuff. Then these might be feasible solutions to that problem. It means that they are endangering themselves by killing a player that could have otherwise helped them out.  

This alone might be enough to balance the risk and reward of killing other players. But there is no sure way to say without play testing it. 

You can't do interesting things with it. You can only eat it like monster meat.

Taking loot from a skeleton doesn't reduce sanity, so no.

Big hassle for a big waste.

In short, cannibalism would cause rating problems because you are trying to add something morbid into a game which is not morbid. 

This idea has nothing to do with cannibalism. If they are joining a server to kill players, they are going to kill players.

Cannibalism is a horrible risk reward mechanic. Kill a player, get over ratted monster meat.

Why are people saying things like "If it HAS to be added, it would make you completely insane."

You have to remember, you're not the one surviving. Wilson is. Willow is. Etc. When it comes to survival, you do whatever you can to survive. The characters aren't friends, they are just forced into the same world to survive in. Meat is meat. Cooked meat is meat. When the other player died, it should just be your dinner for the night. Can someone explain why this is a bad thing? Plus, it all comes down to how you were raised... I guess... and we're close to nothing when it comes to backstories.

I also just thought: You'll eat a pig man, but not a man? They are probably closely related in evolution. Almost equally as smart.

In short, cannibalism would cause rating problems because you are trying to add something morbid into a game which is not morbid. 

I doubt it would cause rating problems. It's a small mechanic.

Why are people saying things like "If it HAS to be added, it would make you completely insane."

You have to remember, you're not the one surviving. Wilson is. Willow is. Etc. When it comes to survival, you do whatever you can to survive. The characters aren't friends, they are just forced into the same world to survive in. Meat is meat. Cooked meat is meat. When the other player died, it should just be your dinner for the night. Can someone explain why this is a bad thing? Plus, it all comes down to how you were raised... I guess... and we close to nothing when it comes to backstories.

I also just thought: You'll eat a pig man, but not a man? They are probably closely related in evolution. Almost equally as smart.

I agree with you.  Another thing people say it would get bad ratings, but it has more people voting "Yes" than "No".

"It's crossed my mind to put long pig in Don't Starve Together! It's funny to think about, but any serious thought about individual items (that aren't central to a mechanic, like the life siphon device) is still a ways off. There may also be ratings ramifications that we have to consider here..." - SethR

If the dev thinks there might be a problem, there might be a problem. It is a small mechanic, but eating dead little girls is not a small impact on ratings.

"It's crossed my mind to put long pig in Don't Starve Together! It's funny to think about, but any serious thought about individual items (that aren't central to a mechanic, like the life siphon device) is still a ways off. There may also be ratings ramifications that we have to consider here..." - SethR

If the dev thinks there might be a problem, there might be a problem. It is a small mechanic, but eating dead little girls is not a small impact on ratings.

Most people are voting yes.  I don't think it will be anything like gorey, maybe just them poofing away, or disappearing and dropping something like "strange meat".  Only time can tell what will truly happen, but as I said most people are voting yes.

Most people are voting yes.  I don't think it will be anything like gorey, maybe just them poofing away, or disappearing and dropping something like "strange meat".  Only time can tell what will truly happen, but as I said most people are voting yes.

People wanting to eat people doesn't decide what kind of rating the game gets. The fact that the mechanic exists is what the rating is based off of.

People wanting to eat people doesn't decide what kind of rating the game gets. The fact that the mechanic exists is what the rating is based off of.

I disagree. I think how it's portrayed is what gets it the rating. That's why death where the "bad guys" just disappear are rated lower than people like in GTA

I disagree. I think how it's portrayed is what gets it the rating. That's why death where the "bad guys" just disappear are rated lower than people like in GTA

So you don't think that eating meat dropped by Wendy will have a single effect on the ratings.

So you don't think that eating meat dropped by Wendy will have a single effect on the ratings.

I don't think it would be enough to upgrade to a heavier rating, no. But I don't care if it is added. As the idea stands, it wouldn't really add anything to the game. It's have to be way more interesting than it is to really catch my interest.

Archived