The unavoidable mechanic known as death

Lets face it, everyone in the game dies at one point or another regardless of how good of a player you are. The question I have is in regards to that fact.

What happens when someone dies in Multiplayer?

Will they be revived at the start of a new day provided that another player survives, will they be out of play permanently, or will they be out of commission until someone builds a Meat Effigy or places a Life Amulet on their corpse?

I think, they should stay dead. It´s what the game is about, if there is no punishment for death, then Don´t Starve fall apart.

Once everyone dies, the world gets destroyed as normal.

Agreed, it should work just as normal I think. With effigies, touch stones and amulets...

I wonder how effigys will work between the persons though. Can all revive from them, or only the one who built it?

It will be interesting, for sure!! 

You know, I think that multiplayer will be unlocked with an item you craft. When a summoned player dies, he will be kicked back in its world like in adventure mode... But if the host player dies, wel, it's game over for him.

What daya think about it?

You know, I think that multiplayer will be unlocked with an item you craft. When a summoned player dies, he will be kicked back in its world like in adventure mode... But if the host player dies, wel, it's game over for him.

What daya think about it?

Sounds like a good alternative, sort of like going in the adventure portal and when you die there you get kicked back out. We'd probably have to still make the portal itself like Wilson did in order to gain access to multiplayer however.

I also think we shouldn't be able to bring any items with us in the portal like we do with the Adventure door so we don't have an unfair advantage over people in the multiplayer world, so everyone basically has a fair chance.

I bet they'll either:

Get revived through Meat effegy (if built) or Touch stone (if activated)

Get revived throught the Wilson's door (that actually would be OP)

Get out of the game and can join again and go through the Wilson's door (almost the same thing as above)

So in the end if you die, it's a win or win game. The only thing that matter is the time you die: it'd be bad to die during the winter or summer cuz you'll restart with nothing.

To make death actually remove you from the world would be:

If there are no meat effegies or touchstones left/activated/built then you would leave thw rorld and would NOT BE ABLE TO JOIN THE WORLD AGAIN!

That's the only way to make death impact on multiplayer world!

I am unsure as to what the best solution would be. Perhaps the world should exist as long as at least one player is alive?

There could be for example, one ''character exclusive touch stone'' per player in the world. Each of the touch stones could only be activated by their respective character. If the player dies, he/she gets resurected to his/her touch stone. Each player would also need to build his own meat effigies and could not use the meat effigies of others when upon death.

There would still need to be permanent death for those who die without any mean to get resurected.

I think they're going to need custom meat effigies of each character to make sure people don't get confused, or at least have them color coded or something.

What I'm more curious is how does someone revive a fallen ally when they don't have a safety net up?

This could turn into a battle betwwen the players, depending on the death. If you have your own effigie were only you spawn, it's more battle than co-op I'd say. It would be teams... and all that. And permadeath or not... Spawnng in different places competing!! Imagine different gamemodes!

I mean; Co-op, 'last survivor standing', battle. Not sure if I like or not.

OrI am too excited for this! Not gonna get any sleep tonight!

They could have a joint pool of lives for all the players equal to the number of players.

Each time a player die, a life gets substracted from the pool.

When the pool is empty, some baddy comes and kills all remaining players :p.

I think that going through the multiplayer portal should cost a huge anmount of something... I don't know, health, hunger and sanity, like Woodie transformation?

5 silk, 8 rocks and 4 berries.

I'd love if you turned into a ghost(even if you were unable to attack) and the other player would have to make something and use it on your skeleton for you to revive.

I somewhat imagine that this would be the case, too. It might be a bit OP if there isn't any multiplayer-specific threat that increases the difficulty of the game to compensate for the fact that you have an extra hand which could save you in case you get killed.

Without some extra difficulty, Multiplayer would basically just be singleplayer with an extra hand to help you if you die as well as help with any other tasks. I imagine that they understand this, though, and I'm quite interested in seeing what threats or systems there might be coming in place to compensate for an ability to revive someone else or even just having the potential for synergy.

Anything that makes it harder to survive on your own as well as actually requiring the extra teammate to make use of the potential for teamwork would do from what I can see, really.

I'd love if you turned into a ghost(even if you were unable to attack) and the other player would have to make something and use it on your skeleton for you to revive.

I can only imagine what you would need to make to revive them and the items you need to get. It'd probably be really annoying to get, too.

"Revival Serum- 5 Deerclop eyes, 30 Monster Meat, 40 Berries, 30 Spider Glands"

I can only imagine what you would need to make to revive them and the items you need to get. It'd probably be really annoying to get, too.

"Revival Serum- 5 Deerclop eyes, 30 Monster Meat, 40 Berries, 30 Spider Glands"

Or you know, the amulet which is already in-game...

I somewhat imagine that this would be the case, too. It might be a bit OP if there isn't any multiplayer-specific threat that increases the difficulty of the game to compensate for the fact that you have an extra hand which could save you in case you get killed.

Without some extra difficulty, Multiplayer would basically just be singleplayer with an extra hand to help you if you die as well as help with any other tasks. I imagine that they understand this, though, and I'm quite interested in seeing what threats or systems there might be coming in place to compensate for an ability to revive someone else or even just having the potential for synergy.

Anything that makes it harder to survive on your own as well as actually requiring the extra teammate to make use of the potential for teamwork would do from what I can see, really.

Agree.

I think making a meat effigy is enough, multiplayer shoulnd't be another hardcore thing, but a way to have fun with friends and overcome the current obstacles that some people might have problems with together.

Archived