How To Install Reign of Giants To Your Standalone Game Client

Hey all, I'll see about putting together some new updated versions of the Standalone made today and should have them sent off to Humble  and GOG tomorrow.

It's been nearly 2 weeks, and I see nothing new on Humble Bundle. Any idea what happened to this?

Since I recently updated this (on both my standalone and Steam again buying it from HB,) I noticed something interesting:

While my standalone took my key with no problem, it prompted it to be entered a second time when I started the game.

I also used that key to add a new product on Steam to update my DS there. However, while I was warned the first time I ran DS on Steam I'd need the key to enter it again, it never asked for the key a second time like it did on Standalone. 

But if that's the "worst" I got, I'll take it!

The only "problem" I have with the game is having to learn to play all over again thanks to the game-changing updates from RoG! :) 

Hey all, I'll see about putting together some new updated versions of the Standalone made today and should have them sent off to Humble  and GOG tomorrow.

Okay, it's been over a month now, and not only does HB not have an updated version, but I didn't even receive a reply from my last inquiry about this (2 weeks ago). Do you have an estimate on when a working Linux version might be available?

I feel frustrated and angry. I paid Klei for a product they sold, and it doesn't work, and it seems like they're now ignoring me. I have given them my money and gotten nothing in return. I'm not the only person running Linux who can't get a working updater, as my previous threads have shown [1]. Is there any intention of ever getting it to work? I think all I'd need is a post-RoG version of the game pushed to Humble Bundle (though of course I'd prefer to get an updater that actually runs).

[1] http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/32164-updater-crashes-on-ubuntu-1310/

Okay, it's been over a month now, and not only does HB not have an updated version, but I didn't even receive a reply from my last inquiry about this (2 weeks ago). Do you have an estimate on when a working Linux version might be available?

I feel frustrated and angry. I paid Klei for a product they sold, and it doesn't work, and it seems like they're now ignoring me. I have given them my money and gotten nothing in return. I'm not the only person running Linux who can't get a working updater, as my previous threads have shown [1]. Is there any intention of ever getting it to work? I think all I'd need is a post-RoG version of the game pushed to Humble Bundle (though of course I'd prefer to get an updater that actually runs).

[1] http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/32164-updater-crashes-on-ubuntu-1310/

Hi @penguinland, we do apologize for the wait. The Humble Bundle build for the standalone game client has been updated (it should be compatible with Reign of Giants) and you should now be able to download and install it from your Humble download page. 

Please let me know if you run into any issues with that build, and we'll look into it.

Hi @penguinland, we do apologize for the wait. The Humble Bundle build for the standalone game client has been updated (it should be compatible with Reign of Giants) and you should now be able to download and install it from your Humble download page. 

Please let me know if you run into any issues with that build, and we'll look into it.

I've downloaded the new build. The updater still segfaults, I can still run the game itself, and the RoG items are now in there, but the program now crashes when I try to save and quit or when I try to load a saved game. Here is the error it gives, preceded by some other output that's probably normal (I'm unsure where exactly the error starts):

...[DrawRoads][WorldSimActual::DrawRoads] completescripts/map/forest_map.lua(334,1) Encoding...	scripts/map/forest_map.lua(338,1) Encoding... DONE	scripts/map/forest_map.lua(407,1) Checking Tags	scripts/map/forest_map.lua(520,1) Populating voronoi...	scripts/map/object_layout.lua(418,1) Warning! Could not find a spot for Beefalo Farm in node Great Plains:4:Plain	scripts/map/object_layout.lua(418,1) Warning! Could not find a spot for spider_forest in node Forest hunters:1:ForestMole	scripts/map/forest_map.lua(655,1) Done forest map gen!	scripts/worldgen_main.lua(246,1) Checking map...	scripts/worldgen_main.lua(600,1) Generation complete	WorldSim::SimThread::Main() completescripts/gamelogic.lua(116,1) 	Unload FE	scripts/gamelogic.lua(118,1) 	Unload FE done	scripts/dlcsupport.lua(24,1) Load scripts/DLC001_prefab_files	scripts/gamelogic.lua(128,1) 	LOAD BE	Could not preload undefined prefab 0x287f9bdd (eyebrella)Could not preload undefined prefab 0x287f9bdd (eyebrella)scripts/gamelogic.lua(131,1) 	LOAD BE: done	MiniMapComponent::AddAtlas( minimap/minimap_data.xml )scripts/components/seasonmanager.lua(1533,1) SPRING TIME	scripts/gamelogic.lua(452,1) Loading Nav Grid	scripts/saveindex.lua(218,1) LoadSavedSeasonData CB	scripts/widgets/bloodover.lua(30,1) update state	scripts/widgets/bloodover.lua(50,1) turn off	scripts/screens/pausescreen.lua:21: variable 'global_loading_widget' is not declaredLUA ERROR stack traceback:        =[C] in function 'error'        scripts/strict.lua(23,1)        scripts/screens/pausescreen.lua(21,1) in function 'ShowLoading'        scripts/screens/pausescreen.lua(28,1) in function 'dorestart'        scripts/screens/pausescreen.lua(135,1) in function 'onclick'        scripts/widgets/button.lua(37,1) in function 'OnControl'        scripts/widgets/widget.lua(112,1) in function 'OnControl'        scripts/widgets/widget.lua(112,1) in function 'OnControl'        scripts/widgets/widget.lua(112,1) in function 'OnControl'        scripts/screens/popupdialog.lua(68,1) in function 'OnControl'        scripts/frontend.lua(236,1) in function 'OnControl'        scripts/input.lua(138,1) in function 'OnControl'        scripts/input.lua(312,1)scripts/frontend.lua(723,1) SCRIPT ERROR! Showing error screen

I get this consistently when I'm in a (new) game, press Escape, and choose the save and quit button. If I try to resume a saved game, I get a very similar stack trace, and I can provide that as well if you think it would help. Any idea what's going wrong? I don't know Lua, but I'm comfortable editing Lua scripts if someone else tells me what to insert or remove.

I'm having an issue with the ROG expansion with my stand alone version. 

This is what I did when I installed it.

1. I just went to the Humble widget and clicked the download (didn't read the forums first, figured it would just install)

2. Read the forums and removed the file the instructions said to delete.

3. Reinstalled Don't starve to make sure I had the latest version (downloaded it from Humble Widget again).

4. Got key challenge and my old keys didn't work (neither the chrome or steam).

5. Tried the new ROG key and that didn't work either.

6. Skipped it and see the ROG screen and have access to it. 

Whom do need to contact to confirm my keys or fix my install. 

I got Don't Starve when it was in beta when I used to use Chrome before moving to the stand alone version.  I don't know if that matters.

Not really sure what I should do.  The game can be played but I don't like the key challenge each time I load it.

I'm grateful I was able to use my ROG Humble keys just fine (and it's a different key from the basic DS key if there's any confusion on that. Humble's RoG purchase page for that should list it, but it's easier if you claim the page as your own, and simply look at the page of your Humble library.)

Cool, I did claim the 2 pages in the Humble Library now they are easy to find. This is where I downloaded them from when I tried install the ROG earlier.  I might just need to uninstall it completely and install it again.  I've just got a couple of games with people alive for over 200 days (personal best).

For the Humble bundle does everyone see Steam and Chrome keys for DS?  Or is it just me?

Thanks,

Anthony

Cool, I did claim the 2 pages in the Humble Library now they are easy to find. This is where I downloaded them from when I tried install the ROG earlier.  I might just need to uninstall it completely and install it again.  I've just got a couple of games with people alive for over 200 days (personal best).

For the Humble bundle does everyone see Steam and Chrome keys for DS?  Or is it just me?

Thanks,

Anthony

Steam, yes, Chrome, no. (It  was around when I bought DS, but I bought it for Standalone, not Chrome, and it's now retired on Chrome, due to it not being updatable to mods and other developments.) 

And if you go into your save folder, you can back up your saves if you were to lose them by removing the game. After reloading and replacing the files, starting a new game in that slot will restore said save. 

Thanks, the truthseeker.

I'll do that.  I do remember when Chrome stopped working.  If I remember  correctly that's actually the first time I posted in this forum.  I've been using the stand alone version ever since.

Thanks,

Anthony

I have the standalone Don't Starve, I bought the RoG DLC, I updated Don't Starve, installed RoG, got the box of "successfully installed", opened the game and it wasn't RoG. It also never prompted me for my key. When I run the updater it doesn't ask for a RoG key either. How do I get to RoG?

On a 10.9.2 OSX.

I have the standalone Don't Starve, I bought the RoG DLC, I updated Don't Starve, installed RoG, got the box of "successfully installed", opened the game and it wasn't RoG. It also never prompted me for my key. When I run the updater it doesn't ask for a RoG key either. How do I get to RoG?

On a 10.9.2 OSX.

When you were installing Reign of Giants, did you ensure that the files were being installed in the same location as your original Don't Starve files? 

Also, have you tried fully uninstalling and then re-installing Don't Starve, updating it to the most recent build, then following the steps here to install Reign of Giants to your OS X?

Had to create an account and post here because support isn't responding to my email.

Running OSX 10.9.4 on a Macbook Air.

Installed Don't Starve. Ran it. Exited it.

Ran updater. Updates itself to v22 (which it does EVERY time, btw)

Update Don't Starve with the Updater. Run Don't Starve. Exited it.

Ran RoG Installers. Says it's Installed.

Ran Don't Starve. No RoG is installed. (In fact, it's still showing me a little ad that RoG is out that links to the web.)

Uninstalled Don't Starve. Deleted Entire Klei Directory from my Documents Folder.

Did it ALL AGAIN.

Still no RoG.

What's up guys? What am I supposed to do here?

Had to create an account and post here because support isn't responding to my email.

Running OSX 10.9.4 on a Macbook Air.

Installed Don't Starve. Ran it. Exited it.

Ran updater. Updates itself to v22 (which it does EVERY time, btw)

Update Don't Starve with the Updater. Run Don't Starve. Exited it.

Ran RoG Installers. Says it's Installed.

Ran Don't Starve. No RoG is installed. (In fact, it's still showing me a little ad that RoG is out that links to the web.)

Uninstalled Don't Starve. Deleted Entire Klei Directory from my Documents Folder.

Did it ALL AGAIN.

Still no RoG.

What's up guys? What am I supposed to do here?

Hiya TheUriah, check your email for a response from Live Support. Sorry for the delay - unfortunately it looks like the first support ticket email did not go through successfully.

Just downloaded and updated Don't Starve for Mac. Then, ran the Reign of Giants updater. The updater worked fine, as far as I can tell.

The game auto-updating itself did not, and died partway through with these errors:

ABORTED
File "<string>", line 1546, in <module>
File "/Volumes/Workspace/Jenkins-MrBuildDS/workspace/DontStarve_Release_OSX_StandAlone_MakeDMGPackage/source/tools/Updater/build/updater.osx/out00-PYZ.pyz/wx._core", line 8660, in MainLoop
File "/Volumes/Workspace/Jenkins-MrBuildDS/workspace/DontStarve_Release_OSX_StandAlone_MakeDMGPackage/source/tools/Updater/build/updater.osx/out00-PYZ.pyz/wx._core", line 7952, in MainLoop
File "<string>", line 864, in OnUpdateComplete
File "<string>", line 1009, in ShowError

At first blush the game seems to run correctly, and Reign of Giants is installed.

I purchased Don't starve and ROG from steam. They are in my account but the key from ROG is now missing. There is no option in the game any more to check ROG. I have sent 2 emails to Klei support in the past week and a half with no response to either. I cant even re-purchase the content because it already own it. Please help.