Our Tavern (open discussion)

I will try once I am ready to face goblins and whatnot in those mines instead of getting my wizard ass handled ... I went there completely unprepared and survived with 8 hp just to be freaked out once I exited mine by those blue goats you added .... That's what you get without reading wiki or setting aside that this is don't starve after all.

Edit:Actually I never saw Volt Goat from Reing of Giants so I was confused when I saw it earlier today and thought that it is from the mod.

Edited by Senteliks
  • Like 1

Out of curiosity do you plan to add rouge class ?

I have some ideas which I plan to use on Wilson (since my artistic skills suck that much and my sister don't want to do me a favor and just draw nice looking rouge ...) for personal use.When we are at that is there any way to make all agressive creatures neutral towards you for short amount of time ?You don't need to tell me how to do it (I won't hold grudge if you do and save me trouble of finding out how on my own) but some direction would be much appreciated,If you don't mind :-) .

love going extinct.

Uh,I am having bit of trouble to understand this part.Do you mean "Thank god they are so rare" ?

If so,I agree ... they should be called Thunder Goats,since when thunder strikes them they become  ... menace.

Edited by Senteliks

They used to not reproduce at all, then the code was added but it's still more likely for them to die out due to random other mob attacks and what not than actually survive. I think, anyway.

As for rogues, we have a good deal of the thief code in, but never really finished all of it. Might go out soon-ish. But for your question, the simplest way to make it completely ignored by everything is to add a tag "notarget".

Oh and they're actually called lightning goats in code, which would actually fit them a bit better.

Edited by DeathDisciple

hopefully the next patch will be out soon, I've been bogged down by bad internet connection and holiday stuff and have not finished the update that should have been finished 2 weeks ago, 

diamonds have an IMPORTANT use, which you will see in the update ;)

• Like 1

Heh,I can't wait to see what you have for them in store.I don't really have all that much time now at all ( excpect when I throw exception - I am joking this related to Java and it's probably bad joke but Death may get it).

Somehow I managed to get myself involved in developing an application for android (where I am actually only person who is doing it,others are just messing around),and even though it's fun and useful experience (learning all about Android system and "nicer" side of Java -like hell,I am going to break my pc because of Android Studio,that IDE is devouring computer resorces like a monster causing all kind of funny slowdowns and Grandle is slow,you get a feeling that projects takes all time in the world there is to build itself),it tends to become dredful so brief moments I allow myself to play Don't Starve is "relaxing" and your mod keeps game fresh so it never grows old (at least for me).

Also it's intresting exploring source code and coming across juicy "comments" from time to time left by Death :-) Anyway I am still trying to understand why would devs choose to use Lua for almost 70% in this game.After all,large project  written in scripting language can become such mess and hard to maintain (or so I heard).

Edited by Senteliks

Heh,I can't wait to see what you have for them in store.I don't really have all that much time now at all ( excpect when I throw exception - I am joking this related to Java and it's probably bad joke but Death may get it).

As long as you don't start throwing NullPointerException's (I have enough of those on my own) :razz:

Somehow I managed to get myself involved in developing an application for android (where I am actually only person who is doing it,others are just messing around),and even though it's fun and useful experience (learning all about Android system and "nicer" side of Java -like hell,I am going to break my pc because of Android Studio,that IDE is devouring computer resorces like a monster causing all kind of funny slowdowns and Grandle is slow,you get a feeling that projects takes all time in the world there is to build itself),it tends to become dredful so brief moments I allow myself to play Don't Starve is "relaxing" and your mod keeps game fresh so it never grows old (at least for me).

I've managed to avoid IOS/Android programming for some reason - not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. Bad for my resume, but is it good or bad for what's left of my sanity? Not convinced.

Also it's intresting exploring source code and coming across juicy "comments" from time to time left by Death :-)

Glad to be of service :razz:

Anyway I am still trying to understand why would devs choose to use Lua for almost 70% in this game.After all,large project  written in scripting language can become such mess and hard to maintain (or so I heared).

In general, I'm old fashioned I suppose, I would definitely prefer a proper language for serious stuff, and keep lua for scene/flow/animation/control. Going heavy on lua does have its positive sides, one being heavy modding support without lifting a finger, another being easier/faster to code and not requiring much in terms of training (which might matter for small team like klei). There would be more if they actually included appropriate libraries instead of reinventing the wheel, both for our (modders) sake and their own. Using script language is certainly making it easier to make bad design choices, but it's hardly an excuse for doing so. (That's not to say I didn't fall to the temptation of doing it too, but I didn't have the choices they did). Likewise, the fact that high level oop languages stimulate you to use proper patterns instead of a hackfest, doesn't prevent you from making it yourself.

Edited by DeathDisciple

Going heavy on lua does have its positive sides, one being heavy modding support without lifting a finger, another being easier/faster to code and not requiring much in terms of training (which might matter for small team like klei). There would be more if they actually included appropriate libraries instead of reinventing the wheel, both for our (modders) sake and their own. Using script language is certainly making it easier to make bad design choices, but it's hardly an excuse for doing so. (That's not to say I didn't fall to the temptation of doing it too, but I didn't have the choices they did).

That makes sense I suppose.Then again I think modding would benefit further if it was a bit more streamlined (If game has a proper Mod editor,which isn't possible)..My experience with script language extends as far as Groovy and essentials of JavaScript(I prefer Groovy over Javascript,for some obvious reasons and because I use it mostly for tests),however I can see why it's tempting and how small indie team can benefit (but than again when I watched Youtube clip where Kevin was presenting their engine I had impression they had only vague idea in what they were getting into with this approach at beginning of developing Don't starve).

Likewise, the fact that high level oop languages stimulate you to use proper patterns instead of a hackfest, doesn't prevent you from making it yourself.

True and I had my share of this in the past which is all part of learning,trial and errors (not that I am now all knowing person I have still lot to learn).I had also seen couple of examples so yeah you are right.

Edit:I forgot to say,thanks for the tip regarding my question that I wrote two days ago.

Edited by Senteliks

Hey guys! I just downloaded and tried out this mod for the first times! I spent too much time checking out new features instead of building a base camp so I died pretty early on, but this looks really great! I'm very very very impressed so far. There's a ton of content in it that I haven't tried out so far and I'm really excited to. I'll be following this mod closely ^^

Edited by Taryn

Hey guys! I just downloaded and tried out this mod for the first times! I spent too much time checking out new features instead of building a base camp so I died pretty early on, but this looks really great! I'm very very very impressed so far. There's a ton of content in it that I haven't tried out so far and I'm really excited to. I'll be following this mod closely ^^

Glad you're enjoying it, you can post any questions here or check out our wiki :)

Refreshed the page hoping you hadn't replied to this yet, since I just checked the wiki and found it! I've been browsing it before, and it's a really great source of information! (thanks to whoever put it together, I'm assuming it's orian)

Also, while I did find the bed, I can't find the wiki page for the stool + table. I'll assume it hasn't been added yet.

Hum, well guessed(but i only read it, i'm not the one who did the mod! All credits to them.)...

What is that stool table? I, indeed, never heard of it before!

And....hum, i updated the main page to be in alpha 0.09 instead of 0.08...

Edited by orian34

Ahhh... that would explain it again. In the mod's files in the Atlas section there is a bunch of art for features I don't believe exist or don't work properly, such as massive mushrooms, a manure machine, furniture, a weapon rack, and more. Most can be spawned in, which led me to believe that they were all working in one way or another. Thanks for your help!

The art is not a good source of what's in the mod. You should search the prefab instead! 

Even after checking the wiki I'm still confused about part of the mod. To access the lava caves, I presume I need to find an entrance structure. The wiki said that there is one by several goblin/orc huts (forget which) and a bonfire, but I have yet to find it. Is there any way I can spawn (the entrance to) the next level? I checked thoroughly through the wiki so I am fairly sure more specific info. isn't on there, but sorry if I missed something obvious.

Edited by Crockpot

Even after checking the wiki I'm still confused about part of the mod. To access the lava caves, I presume I need to find an entrance structure. The wiki said that there is one by several goblin/orc huts (forget which) and a bonfire, but I have yet to find it. Is there any way I can spawn (the entrance to) the next level? I checked thoroughly through the wiki so I am fairly sure more specific info. isn't on there, but sorry if I missed something obvious.

desert, rockyland and marsh! Always here and waiting for you.

From the wiki