Our Tavern (open discussion)

Honestly, when I think permadeath first association is roguelike. Which means stats and combat logs, and figuring out a way to survive based on them too, but waaaaaaaaay different than typical 'minmaxing' people see in everything these days.

Roguelikes is also what first comes to my mind when I think of permadeath. It did feel a bit weird to make a remark on permadeath while excluding RPGs, since that's my direct association with it. I think a better way to put it is I like damage indicators whenever the game has a sense of character progression (and not just generic "game" progression as in Don't Starve), since then these parameters give me a more accurate reading of my current state and help me plan progress better.

Being that one can usually see the effects of damage on a creature after the attack, both from creature's reaction and the physical changes on its body, one would think that it's more immersion breaking not seeing any effect than seeing exact numerical representation of such effect.

The ideal system, both in terms of logging/effects and the actual influence on mob's behavior, is dwarf fortress one, imo. But that is likely on the edge of impossible in any graphical game, let alone DS engine.

Precisely. I understand the position of those claiming floating numbers and other forms of precise logging break immersion, but without it, unless the game is able to faithfully represent the state of combat via other means (such as changing animations) having no information just makes me feel dettached from the game, which is a much deeper stab to immersion.

And yes, I don't think a system as deep as in Dwarf Fortress would be possible within the constraints of Don't Starve.

• Like 1

Wooooooooohoooooo! So I will need to check it out after failing tommorow my chemy exam xD

Now I have newest version of DS so I don't have to worry about out-of-date problems :-)

There will be a new class for you to try out among other things ;) I will announce it tomorrow. :)

next update will be uploaded in about 12 hours, give or take :-)

OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD! excited, high pitched little girl scream*

edit: I restarted steam twice and checked to be sure and the option to keep the game up-to-date is activated but

my mods are still all out-of-date. what is the version suposed to be right now?

I have 102.572 from may 24.

My steam NEVER seems to keep any of games up-to-date...

Edited by julz1981
  • Like 2

edit: I restarted steam twice and checked to be sure and the option to keep the game up-to-date is activated but

my mods are still all out-of-date. what is the version suposed to be right now?

I have 102.572 from may 24.

My steam NEVER seems to keep any of games up-to-date...

102.572 is the current version, that is fine.

You're confusing the mod 'out of date' warning with game being out of date - and I don't blame you in the slightest, as I have said before, the game does a great job at giving wrong/confusing info and doing exact opposite of what it should do in case of game/api updates.

The out of date you see on mods mean that modders did not update api version in an info file to 6 - which is what I did for the version that will go live tomorrow, hence the warning I posted here. If you did not have the updated game version it would have crashed when trying to start the mod with no error whatsoever.

• Like 2

102.572 is the current version, that is fine.

You're confusing the mod 'out of date' warning with game being out of date - and I don't blame you in the slightest, as I have said before, the game does a great job at giving wrong/confusing info and doing exact opposite of what it should do in case of game/api updates.

The out of date you see on mods mean that modders did not update api version in an info file to 6 - which is what I did for the version that will go live tomorrow, hence the warning I posted here. If you did not have the updated game version it would have crashed when trying to start the mod with no error whatsoever.

ok, so currently, all mods are out-of-date if not updated since the 24th?

That clears it up, because i thought the update came today lol.

Okay, where is the update? There are 16 hrs from your post! WHERE IS DAT UPDATE, I want dis! WAAAAAAAANT!

*cough*

Sorry, too lot of school... BTW I really hope you will update it soon  :wilson_smile:

Edited by Minik435
  • Like 1

Okay, where is the update? There are 16 hrs from your post! WHERE IS DAT UPDATE, I want dis! WAAAAAAAANT!

*cough*

Sorry, too lot of school... BTW I really hope you will update it soon  :wilson_smile:

Working on some last minute bugs, then I will update it.

• Like 1

Stuff

Got a question for you!

I think i saw you say somewhere, that you use the mod that gives more inventory space but this mod is not compatible with controller...

So, will you eventually add something like that to your own mod ''controller friendly hopefully'' lol

Then it was intentional so sorry for the mistake  :spidercowers:

Nothing to be sorry about, your concern over that behavior is appreciated, tho luckily for me it was not an actual bug :-) It did remind me/us that we should probably explain some details and decisions regarding inventory management, and the way HUD interacts with them.

RPGHUD allows a few things that some people might be unaware of - namely, it is rpghud that allows multiple backpacks in the inventory. It also allows bags to go into bags - something I'm not exactly a fan of.

What I have actually added is that crafting code checks ALL containers in your inventory for items to craft with (not the containers within the containers tho, which while it would be trivial to add,  as I don't think you should be able to put containers into containers in the first place, so I deliberately did not use recursion because I'm against the behavior). That addition was made for the future additions/items in the mod, I will not talk about the details here, but we wanted to make the crafting system go through the containers, new and old alike.

We don't think that game difficulty should be related to the speed you can do inventory shuffling, or the speed you can select a crafting item, and honestly there is way too much inventory micromanagement as it is. The number of crafting things we're adding soon will raise the amount of craftables (and items in general) in game way beyond the vanilla, and we don't want rpghud to become mandatory, nor do we want container micromanagement to be the main game activity.

That kinda relates to @julz1981 's question (I think?) about inventory size modification within the mod - we will add a few extra containers of our own to help with limited space in the future, although we will not be raising the base inventory, so you will have to 'work for them', unlike HUD that gives you 5x space right away. Of course, HUD will stay an option if someone prefers both, but I honestly think it should be just an option - that and maintaining 100 versions of the mod would be a bit too much of a pain.

Edited by DeathDisciple
grammar nazi
  • Like 3

Nothing to be sorry about, your concern over that behavior is appreciated, tho luckily for me it was not an actual bug :-) It did remind me/us that we should probably explain some details and decisions regarding inventory management, and the way HUD interacts with them.

RPGHUD allows a few things that some people might be unaware of - namely, it is rpghud that allows multiple backpacks in the inventory. It also allows bags to go into bags - something I'm not exactly a fan of.

What I have actually added is that crafting code checks ALL containers in your inventory for items to craft with (not the containers within the containers tho, which while it would be trivial to add,  as I don't think you should be able to put containers into containers in the first place, so I deliberately did not use recursion because I'm against the behavior). That addition was made for the future additions/items in the mod, I will not talk about the details here, but we wanted to make the crafting system go through the containers, new and old alike.

We don't think that game difficulty should be related to the speed you can do inventory shuffling, or the speed you can select a crafting item, and honestly there is way too much inventory micromanagement as it is. The number of crafting things we're adding soon will raise the amount of craftables (and items in general) in game way beyond the vanilla, and we don't want rpghud to become mandatory, nor do we want container micromanagement to be the main game activity.

That kinda relates to @julz1981 's question (I think?) about inventory size modification within the mod - we will add a few extra containers of our own to help with limited space in the future, although we will not be raising the base inventory, so you will have to 'work for them', unlike HUD that gives you 5x space right away. Of course, HUD will stay an option if someone prefers both, but I honestly thing it should be just an option - that and maintaining 100 versions of the mod would be a bit too much of a pain.

Well said. That pretty much sums up our decisions on this matter. That is why I strongly suggest that you think about what mods you are using in combination with HitD, eventually, we will have the inventory system all worked out, so you should not have to start with 55 or even 25 extra slots that RPG HUD provides. (but we will never block your ability to use it if you want)

• Like 1

"That addition was made for the future additions/items in the mod, I will not talk about the details here, but we wanted to make the crafting system go through the containers, new and old alike."HA! It's Nothing we have to know!!! Nomnomnom!!!

Edited by orian34