Our Tavern (open discussion)

and can they up to more than 20 levels? because i feel bad if i kill something that don't give exp, i'm sad for him that doesn't mean to kill him...

oh, level 20 will be the cap. I might adjust the xp tables though, have you reached level 20? about how long did it take you to reach level 20?

i reached the level 12 with druid and died after killing deerclops due to a sneaky goblin after hound waves....the druid is really cool but is freaking underpowered...the really usefull power(2* hunger veggies) is the last...the familiar die in 5 secs and you loose lots of sanity(and i smashed the familiar button because i dunno what that was.... i get 250 sanity=>10...) but she is the better chara for sanity...one tree gives 15 sanity...and the birchnuts don't give sanity but they make you loose some...

Edit: But i really like her...

Edited by orian34

i reached the level 12 with druid and died after killing deerclops due to a sneaky goblin after hound waves....the druid is really cool but is freaking underpowered...the really usefull power(2* hunger veggies) is the last...the familiar die in 5 secs and you loose lots of sanity(and i smashed the familiar button because i dunno what that was.... i get 250 sanity=>10...) but she is the better chara for sanity...one tree gives 15 sanity...and the birchnuts don't give sanity but they make you loose some...

Edit: But i really like her...

more spells will be introduced to the mod very soon ;)

OMFGHTHDIDI (Oh my ... God, how the hell do I do it)

Dragonfly attacked me at middle of summer. I have beaten it... WITH MELEE WEAPONS!

How it was? I played as Paladin at my 100+ (for now) day and the Dragonfly attacked me.

I was really scared but, because I haven't any darts/staffs... So I took all my HP potions and attacked it with Greater Frost Armor, Thulecite Crown, Life Giving Amulet and Greater Vorpal Axe. After using almost all my potions (12 from 15) it DIED. I smacked it 1 time then go away then waited and then do same.

Now I have the best chest. Scaled chest :3 Tommorow I will go for more potions.

• Like 2

Yeah, it's unplayable without rpg hud :razz:

Yeah, I suggest playing with rpg 25, thats what i play with, the reason we did not hard code the inventory spaces is because people prefer different amounts and the challenge involved, but there will be something(s) in the next big update that will help you manage your inv a lot better hehe

...hum, how the hell  can we pass the fire staves trick? i tried with fire armor...a bit effective but it's not really that, ice armor...useless...i tried to kill the fire staves...ice staff, gunpowder tanking...nothing...argh, i love so much difficulty but a inaccessible chest, NEVER!

You will hit stronger. I saw that with Damage Indicator mod.

I'm playing on 55 because from dungeons I taking off almost 300+ items (backpacks in backpacks, poor pigs :( )

As I said somewhere in this forum, there will be something in the next big update that will make the management of your inventory much easier ;)

...hum, how the hell  can we pass the fire staves trick? i tried with fire armor...a bit effective but it's not really that, ice armor...useless...i tried to kill the fire staves...ice staff, gunpowder tanking...nothing...argh, i love so much difficulty but a inaccessible chest, NEVER!

currently, there is only the fire armor which gives you fire dmg resistance, other ways of gaining fire resistance will be added to the mod very very very soon ;)

currently, there is only the fire armor which gives you fire dmg resistance, other ways of gaining fire resistance will be added to the mod very very very soon ;)

STOP WITH THOSE VERY SOON!

You said very soon for days now, and now you say ''very very very soon''

You are KILLING me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:evil:

p.s- I am just kidding.

STOP WITH THOSE VERY SOON!

You said very soon for days now, and now you say ''very very very soon''

You are KILLING me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:evil:

p.s- I am just kidding.

Haha, mainly just waiting for art to come in :p 

• Like 1

Have you thought about adding your own damage indicators? I know this doesn't sound like, hmm, "good sportsmanship", since there's already a damage indicator mod, but huge numbers zig zagging all over the screen don't really fit the ARPG feel of the mod, and in particular they don't make it clear which mob is being damaged in a big fight. I think Diablo-style floating damage numbers would be a very nice addition. Doing this yourselves would also allow deeper integration with the mod code, such as giving different colours to physical and elemental damage.

You could use/adapt my code, which does just that (minus the colour customisation), and is after all what s1m13's mod is based on.

Edited by simplex
  • Like 3

Have you thought about adding your own damage indicators? I know this doesn't sound like, hmm, "good sportsmanship", since there's already a damage indicator mod, but huge numbers zig zagging all over the screen don't really fit the ARPG feel of the mod, and in particular they don't make it clear which mob is being damaged in a big fight. I think Diablo-style floating damage numbers would be a very nice addition. Doing this yourselves would also allow deeper integration with the mod code, such as giving different colours to physical and elemental damage.

You could use/adapt my code, which does just that (minus the colour customisation), and is after all what s1m13's mod is based on.

Yeah, we were debating putting in our own, for the exact reasons you mentioned, but it always ends up in a backburner. Partially because, while most rpg fans like having damage indicators, there are still people that would complain it ruins their immersion, is a powergamer thing that will ruin their experience, or whatever. I never bought those arguments tbh, but I want to leave that as an option rather than putting it in for everyone that might not share my opinion.

It will be an option eventually, just haven't gotten around to it. New config interface will come in handy too - assuming it works :p

Yeah, we talked about this in the early design phase, but as Death said, it got put on the back burner. I do like the idea of diff dmg types having their own color though :) We just want it to be an optional thing for the mod, for immersion reasons. 

Yeah, we were debating putting in our own, for the exact reasons you mentioned, but it always ends up in a backburner. Partially because, while most rpg fans like having damage indicators, there are still people that would complain it ruins their immersion, is a powergamer thing that will ruin their experience, or whatever. I never bought those arguments tbh, but I want to leave that as an option rather than putting it in for everyone that might not share my opinion.

It's really not a priority, so keep it in the backburner for as long as you need to. And with respect to it fitting or not, certainly giving players the option to enable or disable it would be ideal. Personally, I like not having damage indicators in games like Don't Starve (basically, I like not having them in permadeath games), but as soon as you start adding RPG elements... I'll pick damage indicators any time.

It will be an option eventually, just haven't gotten around to it. New config interface will come in handy too - assuming it works :razz:

I haven't tested the config API yet, but based on the comments I read in the thread it seems there are some issues with configurations reverting to default.

It's really not a priority, so keep it in the backburner for as long as you need to. And with respect to it fitting or not, certainly giving players the option to enable or disable it would be ideal. Personally, I like not having damage indicators in games like Don't Starve (basically, I like not having them in permadeath games), but as soon as you start adding RPG elements... I'll pick damage indicators any time.

I haven't tested the config API yet, but based on the comments I read in the thread it seems there are some issues with configurations reverting to default.

Usually I am the type that likes full immersion, so I would not use numbers, or at least only use them until I got the basics of a games mechs. DeathD likes using those types of things because it does not affect her immersion. So we will make it optional at some point.

I really like your idea for having the different colors for the different types of damage, I think that will help players have a better understanding of the damage system in the mod and how to better tackle it. So thanks for throwing that idea at us ;)

Honestly, when I think permadeath first association is roguelike. Which means stats and combat logs, and figuring out a way to survive based on them too, but waaaaaaaaay different than typical 'minmaxing' people see in everything these days.

Having the tools to optimize your survival chances and effectiveness within the constraints of a roleplay system, wether they are imposed on you or you have decided to create them, is a good thing in my eyes. Once upon a time, the balance was not only not wanted, but you would pick a intentionally gimped class and try to make it work/get as deep in the dungeon as you can before you get eaten, instead of looking for the most op thing to complain about. Also, it exposes the faults of the combat system easily - now that may be a bad thing if you're trying to hide something I guess.

On the other hand, having the need for such tools so you can find the most powerful combination of toon, items, abilities, exploits etc, that would be 0.01% higher deeps than the other guy, is a problem with the way of thinking, not the tools themselves. But at that point there is no immersion in the first place, you have thrown it away when you started thinking that way, the tools are not the ones to blame. If anything, numbers can be blamed for enabling more whining, but the true cause is elsewhere.

Being that one can usually see the effects of damage on a creature after the attack, both from creature's reaction and the physical changes on its body, one would think that it's more immersion breaking not seeing any effect than seeing exact numerical representation of such effect.

The ideal system, both in terms of logging/effects and the actual influence on mob's behavior, is dwarf fortress one, imo. But that is likely on the edge of impossible in any graphical game, let alone DS engine.

But either way, just a personal pet peeve

Edited by DeathDisciple