Should the combat with the giants be more challenging?

44 members have voted

1. 1. Should the giants be more difficult to fight (random attack patterns, kiting shouldn't work so well etc.)

• Yes! Giants should be more scary to fight!
    • No, they are ok like that.

I think that giants should become stronger the longer the game lasts. Or maybe spawn two giants at the same time after day 100, or something like that...In Don't Starve, a monster alone is a piece of cake to kill. Once they are two or more, it's another story. Just look at vargs. They are stronger than giants imo.

That's true. Also mobs that can shot, bishops or spitting spiders are scarier. At least they are more dangerous and do some dmg and you need armor for them.

But a spear is enough for the giant and you can fight them without even get hit. I've seen pigs that are doing better. :)

The problem is not to merely scale their difficulty. The only way to do that is artificially. That's NO FUN. They need their own special quirks that make them something other than a Deerclops variant!

Dragonfly can light things on fire.

Deerclops can freeze things.

The Bearger and Moose/Goose need something special. Not something annoying, something special.

I also would be happy if they would get more difficult in the late game. But not hp or dmg wise. That would just take longer but not make it more challenging.

Very much agreed.  Prolongation doesn't really add a lot to the experience, though it does make it harder simply by virtue of further sanity drain and possibly running into the night.

Not all giants are my problem. The dragonfly is fine. But the rest of them are a bit disappointing.

Really the only difference between df and the rest in terms of kiting is he has an attack that's too quick to avoid.  That's definitely simple enough to implement. 

I feel like it would be really strange being kited by something as large as a giant, but a ranged attack might be fun.  Especially if they could like, uproot a tree and throw it at the player!  That would sort of change the whole tree-guard farm as defense against giants angle

And as Gallo said, multiple enemies multiply the difficulty a lot.  They sort of have that with the G'Goose, but I've never found the egg, much less the moslings, so right now it feels like none of the giants have a swarm attack.  Which is kind of surprising. 

Before the giants came out I was hoping that each would nullify a major giant-defeating strategy.  And that does occur to an extent.  DF immune to traps I've heard, G'Goose unaffected by tentacles.  DC can at least deal with one treeguard by himself.  Bearger is still all around vulnerable I think, but he's autumn giant so I guess it makes sense (easier season, easier giant).  

I guess to me the minions thing seems like the most interesting and challenging solution.  I don't really know what they'd each bring other than baby versions of themselves.  And we certainly wouldn't get this anytime soon since RoG is a wrap.   

The problem is not to merely scale their difficulty. The only way to do that is artificially. That's NO FUN. They need their own special quirks that make them something other than a Deerclops variant!

Dragonfly can light things on fire.

Deerclops can freeze things.

The Bearger and Moose/Goose need something special. Not something annoying, something special.

Sometimes the Goose/Moose have 5 Mosslings that become angry after you killed it.

Bearger has it's charging attack, but he don't use it in a short distance.

Yes Deerclops can freeze, but still he is kinda slow and you can dodge that easily. It would be cool if he could throw a big snowball at the player.

Very much agreed.  Prolongation doesn't really add a lot to the experience, though it does make it harder simply by virtue of further sanity drain and possibly running into the night.

Really the only difference between df and the rest in terms of kiting is he has an attack that's too quick to avoid.  That's definitely simple enough to implement. 

I feel like it would be really strange being kited by something as large as a giant, but a ranged attack might be fun.  Especially if they could like, uproot a tree and throw it at the player!  That would sort of change the whole tree-guard farm as defense against giants angle

And as Gallo said, multiple enemies multiply the difficulty a lot.  They sort of have that with the G'Goose, but I've never found the egg, much less the moslings, so right now it feels like none of the giants have a swarm attack.  Which is kind of surprising. 

Before the giants came out I was hoping that each would nullify a major giant-defeating strategy.  And that does occur to an extent.  DF immune to traps I've heard, G'Goose unaffected by tentacles.  DC can at least deal with one treeguard by himself.  Bearger is still all around vulnerable I think, but he's autumn giant so I guess it makes sense (easier season, easier giant).  

I guess to me the minions thing seems like the most interesting and challenging solution.  I don't really know what they'd each bring other than baby versions of themselves.  And we certainly wouldn't get this anytime soon since RoG is a wrap.   

That's true. But this is what makes the dragonfly scarier than the others. At least the player needs some armor and healing stuff to take on the giant. The other 3 giants are like presents, they give you free loot and meat with not much effort and no damage. Only the sanity drain is the price (except the Goose/Moose who hasn't an insanity aura)

The idea of throwing trees at the player sounds good and very giant like.

Goose/Moose has his Mossling swarm. They become angry after the Goose/Moose dies and do a tornado attack similar like the weather pain weapon. I think hey are 5 or 6. And yes they are stronger than the Goose/Moose because of their numbers.

Goose/Moose has his Mossling swarm. They become angry after the Goose/Moose dies and do a tornado attack similar like the weather pain weapon. I think hey are 5 or 6. And yes they are stronger than the Goose/Moose because of their numbers.

I know but they eat red mushrooms... So they are easy to kill, believe me. And they spawn in Spring, so just let them to beefaloes !

Sometimes the Goose/Moose have 5 Mosslings that become angry after you killed it.

Bearger has it's charging attack, but he don't use it in a short distance.

Yes Deerclops can freeze, but still he is kinda slow and you can dodge that easily. It would be cool if he could throw a big snowball at the player.

Spider Queen already has the minion thing down.

The Rook's charging attack is a lot better-done than the Bearger's.

Oh, sure, the Bearger is more dangerous than the rook, by a country mile, but the Bearger's charge attack smells less of charging and more of a flailing temper tantrum.

that's what i thought the first time i set him on fire. flailing temper tantrum.

I guess another variable of how people experience boss fights is playstyle. If you turtle then it may be a nuisance, or a disaster if you don't know what you're doing. And you have to do it because you "don't have" any other option. It seems people go for day xxx survival while i go for world xxx survival. Then you just pick and choose. If you're not in the mood, then meh, get out. Ultimately mandrake soup makes everything trivial. I guess if you're tied down to that first world with only a couple of mandrakes and too good to use syndrome... you're gonna have a bad time.

I know but they eat red mushrooms... So they are easy to kill, believe me. And they spawn in Spring, so just let them to beefaloes !

That's interesting. I never think of poisoning them. How many red mushrooms do you need to kill one?

People who vote for they should stay like that, please explain why you think so? I want to understand.

I mean look at these gifs. If you know how to kite, they are all the same. And kiting is not that hard.

Well Goose is fine because the moslings will help her and if you want to have enough downs feathers to build something you must kill them.

I agree on Bearger.

For Deerclops yes and no, because is easy to fight him, but you'll have to choose if wear an armor or clothes to avoid freezing and also your sanity will drop quickly, summoning allucinations.

That's my opinion.

Yeah, at least Bearger should be harder to kill. As Wigfrid you can just walk up to him and keep hitting him until he dies. Also, what if you failed to kill him so he went to go hibernate in the caves?

kinda big for that tiny hole

Archived