Who is the leader of shadow creatures?

It looks like the shadow creatures who reign in the world of Don't Starve are pretty aggressive and callous entities. Therefore I don't think that they have a collective government. Because of this, they probably have one powerful shadow creature, who is a dictator. Who do you think is the leader of shadow creatures?

That's like saying evilness has a leader. It doesn't make sense.

I don't think monsters from another dimension really care about "who's in charge".

I don't think there is anything wrong with saying "They" have a leader. I think they certainly have one. In my opinion, the Shadow Watcher is the most likely candidate. If the monsters from another dimension have some motives, they certainly care who's in charge. If they did not care, then some of the monsters could do something which is against what other monsters think is right (or properly evil) and then there will be discussion whose motives are more important which leads to appointment of a leader. I think the only situation under which "They" would not have a leader would be if "They" were all just parts of a single monster.

I think the only situation under which "They" would not have a leader would be if "They" were all just parts of a single monster.

It's basically this. There are no implications that "They" have a leader, the only thing we can assume is that these shadow creatures aim to trap the characters (by killing them, keeping them in purgatory). It is evident that "They" are able to control the realm of this world, as evident by the physical shifts (World Generation Loading, Obelisk, Ruins, etc) depending on the character's sanity. Together, they all exist yet they don't exist, and they all break the boundaries of reality according to the character's state of mind. All of the shadow creatures are connected to one another, in some way.

I think that they're all part of the darkness from another dimension, they're together in essence. 

If they do have a leader, I'd think it would be the Shadow Watcher, since he seemed to have appeared the most during the maxwell puzzles. He especially seemed to have some direct influence during The Amazing Maxwell video, with him flickering in the video for a second.

Mr. Skits might be some sort of messenger as he spies on you constantly.

But Glommer drops monster meat, so (s)he can't be one of the good guys, unless (s)he's reformed - which is unlikely... Monsters never change their meats, or however the saying goes!

My thinking is that (s)he's cosying in, waiting until we least expect it... Then... AMBUSH - out of a bush, of course, in the Don't Starve fashion - and (s)he lays eggs on you like a botfly and the maggots eat you alive.

Glommer is the epitome of evil, ruling all but Maxwell and Charlie. He can even be killed to create a killing machine (Bob) - what more do you need?! :p

Woah, woah wait... Wouldn't Maxwell be because he is "The Puppet Master"?

We used to think Maxwell was in charge. However, what he says at the end of adventure mode, and a certain picture of him, prove otherwise. I'm too lazy to grab the picture, but it's one of him sitting in a chair with giant shadow hands reaching out from behind. Maxwell is the gaudy, showy, sinister figurehead. Until the player explores Adventure Mode and The Ruins, they think he's the one pulling the strings. Unfortunately, he's just about as much of a victim as every other character here.

I think lovecraftean cosmic indifference happens to be the central theme regarding this subject.

Cosmic indifference as in: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmicism#.22Cosmic_indifference.22

"The incomprehensible, cosmic forces of his tales have as little regard for humanity as humans have for insects."

Maybe any kind of logical thought process conceivable by us would be incompatible with understanding their motives and reasoning. If this happens to be the case, talking about the structure of their leadership becomes meaningless.

Maybe any kind of logical thought process conceivable by us would be incompatible with understanding their motives and reasoning. If this happens to be the case, talking about the structure of their leadership becomes meaningless.

I was too tired to mention the Lovecraftian themes of the shadow creatures, thank you so much for talking about it. I think you were able to address this topic quite nicely. :)

The connection between the Lovecraftian monsters and the shadow creatures is very noticeable. These are monsters that are attracted by human madness and insanity. But before we carry on, how do we define insanity? Do we define it by the abnormalities of the human mind? The delusions that people hold onto? The nothingness of perspective? At the end of the day, all conscience and thought is caused by the electrochemical transmissions of our brain, yet who are we to define how one is supposed to view reality compared to the expectations of society?

We glorify the concept of leadership, as individual fulfilment and achievement is prioritized throughout our daily lives. The shadow creatures do not need a leader, because They do not have the same values or logical comprehensions like us. They are unfathomable in essence, their existence completely relies on something that is illogical and foreign to the human mind. Their motives are incomprehensible because they embody in the aspect of meaninglessness, and the fact that we are discussing about their non-existent social structure is completely silly.

The shadow creatures symbolises the void of the human mind. Many have attempted to fill such void by searching for knowledge, but they always end up getting lost in their minds.

No one is. They are old creatures, that feed off of insanity. The old world had a lot of nightmare fuel usage, thus a lot of insane people. Then the shadow creatures wipe them out and are still left hungry from insanity. They are creatures, with only 1 thing in mind: Food. Food being insanity (somehow xD)

The connection between the Lovecraftian monsters and the shadow creatures is very noticeable. These are monsters that are attracted by human madness and insanity. But before we carry on, how do we define insanity? Do we define it by the abnormalities of the human mind? The delusions that people hold onto? The nothingness of perspective? At the end of the day, all conscience and thought is caused by the electrochemical transmissions of our brain, yet who are we to define how one is supposed to view reality compared to the expectations of society?

We glorify the concept of leadership, as individual fulfilment and achievement is prioritized throughout our daily lives. The shadow creatures do not need a leader, because They do not have the same values or logical comprehensions like us. They are unfathomable in essence, their existence completely relies on something that is illogical and foreign to the human mind. Their motives are incomprehensible because they embody in the aspect of meaninglessness, and the fact that we are discussing about their non-existent social structure is completely silly.

The shadow creatures symbolises the void of the human mind. Many have attempted to fill such void by searching for knowledge, but they always end up getting lost in their minds.

256621-funny-gifs-citizen-kane-clapping.

This is the reason why I'll never completely leave the internet.

Archived