Probably too early, but please make another DLC ;)

this game will never truly satisfy its fans...... people just want more and more and more and more. when does it all end? can't expand this game forever. we already have way too many new items ( i have loads of chests) but seriously this game cannot get tooooo big! but is it too small right now? I agree cave and ruins needs updating but eventually it has to stop at some point

They want DS have 2GB in content and me too lol

this game will never truly satisfy its fans...... people just want more and more and more and more. when does it all end? can't expand this game forever. we already have way too many new items ( i have loads of chests) but seriously this game cannot get tooooo big! but is it too small right now? I agree cave and ruins needs updating but eventually it has to stop at some point

Wow, you have no imagination, sir. You're like the guy who said "Everything that can be invented has been invented."

I definitely would pay for whatever DLC they can come up with.  And I'd even kickstarter for new content if they don't want to risk it and want to be assured. 

But in some other thread I can't find, @simplex I think was saying that the current file structure does not lend itself to additional DLC.  This saddened me when I read it, but the puzzle seems to me to be very forward looking to further adventures focusing on Wilson.  This gives me hope again.  Fragile, fragile hope.  If their current file structure is unsuitable for more DLC, I guess that could be a reason to release it as DSII, and wrap the original, RoG, and the new content all in one thing.  Somehow give a discount to people who already own them, or pay full price for the whole package for newcomers.  Seems viable to me...

I definitely would pay for whatever DLC they can come up with.  And I'd even kickstarter for new content if they don't want to risk it and want to be assured. 

But in some other thread I can't find, @simplex I think was saying that the current file structure does not lend itself to additional DLC.  This saddened me when I read it, but the puzzle seems to me to be very forward looking to further adventures focusing on Wilson.  This gives me hope again.  Fragile, fragile hope.  If their current file structure is unsuitable for more DLC, I guess that could be a reason to release it as DSII, and wrap the original, RoG, and the new content all in one thing.  Somehow give a discount to people who already own them, or pay full price for the whole package for newcomers.  Seems viable to me...

So what exactly in the file structure is restricting more DLC?

I'd love another DLC, if Klei's up for it.

They did brilliantly on the last one - albeit, it's had it's hiccups but it's all been worth it. :)

I've had a "whale" of a time beta testing, and I'm not against the thought of an underseas DLC as was mentioned in someone else's comment - hint hint - :3

Mind you, that could be extremely difficult to create.

Keep up the good work, you guys! :D

So what exactly in the file structure is restricting more DLC?

As I recall, @simplex said that RoG is written like the 'old' mods used to be, where it just overrides vanilla game files.  So it can't coexist with subsequent DLC files, regardless of whether they are in the old or new format.  Because if DLC2 is in the new mod format, it will get overriden by RoG, and if DLC2 is in the old format...DS explodes...something like that. 

As I recall, @simplex said that RoG is written like the 'old' mods used to be, where it just overrides vanilla game files.  So it can't coexist with subsequent DLC files, regardless of whether they are in the old or new format.   Something like that. 

That's a shame that.

As I recall, @simplex said that RoG is written like the 'old' mods used to be, where it just overrides vanilla game files.  So it can't coexist with subsequent DLC files, regardless of whether they are in the old or new format.  Because if DLC2 is in the new mod format, it will get overriden by RoG, and if DLC2 is in the old format...DS explodes...something like that.

What would happen is that other DLC could only change files RoG doesn't change already, which isn't viable unless it's a really small and focused DLC (such as a character pack or something along these lines). If DLC2 were to override a file RoG already overwrites, it'd have to either discard the RoG changes (breaking RoG compatibility) or include all RoG changes itself, which prevents users from having one DLC but not the other; the alternative would be DLC2 including all RoG changes in conflicting files but enabling them only if RoG is enabled, which would quickly become a mess, and would lead to code duplication everywhere (a huge problem for bug fixing, or any form of RoG updating).

Let's see what will be Klei's move. But based on that, as I said, I doubt any more DLC are coming.

Let's see what will be Klei's move. But based on that, as I said, I doubt any more DLC are coming.

You guys are working on that UA mod right?  I assume that that mod has to deal with the same issues?  Is it dealt with by the fact that your mod is an entirely separate 'world'?   And hence if the DLC only involved a new 'world' (say...space) it might be more doable?

What if they just made DSII, wrapped everything inside of it including new content, and then at the purchase point on steam, you'd get charged a different price depending on whether you already owned vanilla or RoG?  Feasible?

You guys are working on that UA mod right?  I assume that that mod has to deal with the same issues?  Is it dealt with by the fact that your mod is an entirely separate 'world'?   And hence if the DLC only involved a new 'world' (say...space) it might be more doable?

What if they just made DSII, wrapped everything inside of it including new content, and then at the purchase point on steam, you'd get charged a different price depending on whether you already owned vanilla or RoG?  Feasible?

I think that selling a game at a different price depending on what you already own would get people angry...

We get around this issue by using the modding API, which was designed precisely for that (instead of overriding files we attach "hooks" that run when certain things happen, such as an entity being spawned). Before the modding API existed, mods could only override files, so mods changing the same file were never compatible. I mentioned back when Klei was first talking about a DLC release (with Bigfoot's post discussing the end of vanilla development) that I wish the DLC were written like a mod (mostly for "selfish" reasons: if that were the case, they could more easily identify which parts of the modding API could use improvement/expansion and then do it), and I still do. Since it wasn't, another DLC written the same way couldn't coexist with it; another DLC would then need to be written in the modding API (or something similar). But with RoG's way of overriding files it'd be much harder to do so: the same issues causing so many mods to release one version for vanilla and another for RoG would affect further DLC development. And that's my main point: it'd be possible for Klei to develop more DLC, if using the modding API (or similar) for them, but by not doing that from the start they have made further DLC development much harder and costly, and that's why I don't think they were planning on releasing more DLC.

Technically feasible, though I don't think players would love this solution :razz:.

Believe me when I say, that I am 100% happy with this game :D I would just love to see another DLC that focuses on what they think is best to expand. Whenever they decide to move on to a new game, I will still be completely satisfied. Even if this is their last dlc.

Archived