Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

Madman666

Killer and worker Bees don't return to hives\boxes

Madman666    80

Something is wrong with bees. Killer bees (worker ones as well) do not return to bee boxes or hives - they hang up in the air around it or just fly endlessly in one direction right through the hive\box. It happens whenever someone or something attacks a bee and killer bees emerge from hive of when stealing honey and bee workers emerge to attack. If you don't kill them and just loose their aggro, they fly back, but do not enter hive\bee box. That makes honey production effectively close to zero.

This bug occurs regardless of mod use - some players who never used mods reported the same problem. I posted a save file, but as Bryce said there was nothing wrong with it, so I posted a video with that problem as proof, that this problem do exist and occurs even without mods. The bug is confirmed and next patch\hotfix will probably fix it.

This bug was fixed in the latest patch (It even fixed Bee behaviour in my broken saves). This thread no longer needed.

Madman666    80
Just made some experimenting - turned off all mods - problem remains - 1-2 bees working, rest is waiting doing nothing in the box (planted 10-15 flowers around). If you try to steal honey they come out to attack. When they lose aggro and go back, they just fly past the box in one direction, seemingly endlessly.

Turned off RoG DLC - no change. Except that when I steal the honey instead of killer bees - regular ones come out. But they behave as buggy as Killer Bees - hanging in place beside a box or flying endlessly to nowhere.

Does anyone have the same problem or is there something wrong with my game?? Or maybe someone already pointed that one out? If it is so, sorry for repeating.

Madman666    80

I suppose I am not alone I guess... I really hope someone takes note of this problem - its quite hard playing without honey based food (and its current production is close to zero).

Bryce    1,068

I'm not seeing this behaviour. Could you zip up your save folder and post it here?

Madman666    80

Sure, here it is. I also tried deleting the game fully, removing the save folder, reinstalling and starting a new game, but nothing changed, even in a new world bees was buggy.

EDIT: previous one was wrong, I went into My Documents\Klei\DoNotStarve folder instead of steam one. Here is right folder: http://yadi.sk/d/U-7gCi50NpyCX

Madman666    80
Ok, I think I solved it - after I completely wiped everything in my steam Don't Starve folder, including settings and everything, then started a new world - the bees are returning into bee box as they should. It seems something went wrong with my save :( Restarting from scratch without anything left sucks, but this game is interesting enough to forget about it and start again.

EDIT: Not solved, bug still occurs sooner or later.

Still, when I try to gather honey - I get six bees attacking me, but when they return only 1-2 fly out to gather pollen. I think them being six instead of only four and emerging as killer bees instead of workers when the character steals honey - Spring's fault, am I right?

What I still don't get are two things:

• Why they fly out of the box so slow, like 1 each 3-4 game hours? You can make them leave all at once by stealing honey, but they still just fly back inside and reemerge one by one. This way the fourth one does not even get the chance to start working most of the time throughout the year! And since they must pollintae 6 flowers to produce 1 honey, when dusk comes and they return home, their "pollen counters" are reset to 0, so the third bee almost never completes its job too. That leaves two bees effectively working, no matter how many flowers you placed around the box... Ain't it a little unfair?
  • Secondly what amazed me to the depths of my soul was that even with the field of 20-30 flowers, damned buzzing drones kept landing on bare grass from time to time, completely ignoring the flower field... Yeah, when they take off from the ground they usually return to work on flowers, but time is already wasted and usually it results in their return home without any honey. Whats up with that?

Bryce    1,068
Bees seemed to be leaving and returning to home as intended in your file. It's possible that a mod was causing an issue.

Ok, I think I solved it - after I completely wiped everything in my steam Don't Starve folder, including settings and everything, then started a new world - the bees are returning into bee box as they should. It seems something went wrong with my save :( Restarting from scratch without anything left sucks, but this game is interesting enough to forget about it and start again.

Still, when I try to gather honey - I get six bees attacking me, but when they return only 1-2 fly out to gather pollen. I think them being six instead of only four and emerging as killer bees instead of workers when the character steals honey - Spring's fault, am I right?

What I still don't get are two things:
  • Why they fly out of the box so slow, like 1 each 3-4 game hours? You can make them leave all at once by stealing honey, but they still just fly back inside and reemerge one by one. This way the fourth one does not even get the chance to start working most of the time throughout the year! And since they must pollintae 6 flowers to produce 1 honey, when dusk comes and they return home, their "pollen counters" are reset to 0, so the third bee almost never completes its job too. That leaves two bees effectively working, no matter how many flowers you placed around the box... Ain't it a little unfair?
  • Secondly what amazed me to the depths of my soul was that even with the field of 20-30 flowers, damned buzzing drones kept landing on bare grass from time to time, completely ignoring the flower field... Yeah, when they take off from the ground they usually return to work on flowers, but time is already wasted and usually it results in their return home without any honey. Whats up with that?

I'd like to make them work more but we have our hands tied, the bee union won't budge! Bees require mandatory rests between pollen shifts and rotating days off.

Madman666    80

Bees seemed to be leaving and returning to home as intended in your file. It's possible that a mod was causing an issue.

I'd like to make them work more but we have our hands tied, the bee union won't budge! Bees require mandatory rests between pollen shifts and rotating days off.

Strange, I turned off all mods and still was getting the same issue every time... Welp, starting over is not a bad thing in this game. Wild fires taught me that quite harshly. I wish I knew what caused it though, not to make same mistakes again. I guess I'll just make 14-20 bee boxes instead of 7 and keep watch with a boomerang ready and there'll be no slacking on my watch...

Thanks for you replies anyway, I know how little time you have and value you responsiveness very much. It is a great game made by a great developers. And I pray that in the future there'll be a new DLC as interesting and challenging as this one.

mysteriono    3

I'm having a bee related issue as well, I have no bee boxes, beehives, or any bee related structures at all around where I'm currently calling my camp yet bees continually spawn from seemingly nowhere, and obviously do not have a home since they sleep where they are located when it becomes night.

While, aside from the absolutely insane amount of flowers they are producing being a fire hazard, and them being a threat when it reaches spring, this currently isn't that huge an issue, but I thought I should report it.

The only thing I can figure is this is part of some set piece that people have either never really noticed or it was added very recently in RoG, and if this is the case could you please confirm this?

JYM    33

I had the same issue. I use the mini-map mod and Where's my Buffalo mod.

The same is happening with me.

I use the following mods:

1. Always On Status;
  2. Architectural Geometry;

3. Damage Indicators;
  4. Display Food Values;

5. FDDynamicStatusBar;
  6. Minimap HUD;

7. Painted Signs;
  8. RPG HUD BB;

9. Where's My Giants.

Madman666    80

Right when I thought, that all my problems with bees was fixed, I stumbled upon another one - when I caught 1 bee too far from its hive - 5 killer bees emerged, but I was too far to target, so they just hovered near hive unmoving. They seem to hover this way endlessly, unless you get close - they attack and start kiting, eventually returning into the hive if you lose them. That was rather strange behavior, I think.

EDIT: That was same thing that was in my last save - bee's AI going crazy over something and preventing Killer Bees from returning normally into their home, hovering in place or flying endlessly in one direction instead (Hive or Bee Box doesn't make a difference). When you quit the game and start again - bees that was hovering\wandering - return home properly, but as soon as you aggravate them again - problem repeats itself. As @Bryce said it maybe caused by some of the mods I use. I use Madman's Fighting Pack, Always on Status and Backpack and Amulet slotsNot a single one of those has anything to do with Bees or creature brain files and turning them off did not help at all. Its the second save that breaks this way and I really want to know the cause to deal with it and play safely. If anyone can give a hint whats going on - I'd really appreciate it.

Madman666    80

Well, after all the experiments with the game, mods and bees - I can only think that something is wrong with game itself not the mods:

• I tried disabling and even deleting every single mod - didn't solve anything - in my save killer bees still can't enter hives\boxes. (if the problem is with mods, then full deletion of every mod should've solve it)
  • I tried starting a completely new game, new world with all mods enabled and instantly checking the issue - nothing wrong - killer bees return as they should despite six mods installed.
  • I tried using Teleportato to check if something is wrong with the world - problem remains not only in current world, but in the next one as well, despite me disabling all mods before using Teleportato.
So my guess is that at some point in game something occurs, that potentially drives Killer Bee AI crazy, breaking save file or some setting that remains broken even in a new world. The only way to deal with it that works - full wipe of DS player profile in Steam Folder with all the savegames and settings. After roughly a year (it happened at the end of summer\beginning of second autumn both times) of gameplay the problem returns again (now I have two broken saves).

Since you didn't see any problems with my save when you checked it, I posted a short video of what is happening with the bees when I play that same save. Maybe if you see that, you'll know whats wrong.

My first save, the one I posted for checking (without any mods):

My second one, after wiping all data and starting new game:

So every time someone aggroes a bee and Killer Bees emerge - they glitch, effectively flyng somewhere far away, preventing them from returning to their worker state. That means honey production nearly stopped. Of course you can just skip the honey thing entirely and play without it, but that kills an entire aspect of DS. Please, when you have some spare time - look into this one more time.

Upd: Tried starting a new game without ANY mods - it still ends up with broken bees sooner or later. The bee AI needs fixing... Until then I think I wasted enough time. Really hope next patch\hotfix will deal with it.

Madman666    80

I too am suddenly having the same problem. Bees were working fine up till now.

Were you using any mods? I am trying to figure out the cause, but so far I've got nothing...

colinmcleod    2

Were you using any mods? I am trying to figure out the cause, but so far I've got nothing...

Only the Always On Status bars. It's an old vanilla game from weeks ago at day 200. As I said all was well till just recently. I also have an RoG save that I will check tonight after work.

Madman666    80

Only the Always On Status bars. It's an old vanilla game from weeks ago at day 200. As I said all was well till just recently. I also have an RoG save that I will check tonight after work.

Well, I had Always on Status too, but it can't be the cause - I tried playing without it - still got the bee bug

Madman666    80

Apparently, this problem affects not only Killer Bees. While bees that collect pollen are returning normally, if they were aggroed by stealing honey - they behave like Killer Bees - flying right through hives and boxes, moving in one direction or stuck in place.

Madman666    80
I wonder if someone even going to do anything about this problem or it was completely blamed on mods? I know Klei is working on bugs, constantly checking out bug threads, but there was no indication of confirming broken bee's AI after Bryce's post. And for me it is pretty gamebreaking.

Anyone who has encountered same problem - make a post here describing how it happened and what mods were used. Maybe we'll find cause\solution without troubling devs))

And if someone has information about possible release date for next patch or about periodical hotfixes please share with me, I'd like to keep track of changes\fixes being implemented in Don't Starve)

Madman666    80

I have never installed a single mod and I too have had this problem!

Thanks for posting - we need to make a point, that this is a game bug, not a mod conflict or its gonna stay in game much longer.

Thanks for posting - we need to make a point, that this is a game bug, not a mod conflict or its gonna stay in game much longer.

I agree, this behavior was frequently seen by me in adventure mode. I have the steam version of the game.