Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

Clwnbaby

Rock Lobsters keep spawning

Clwnbaby    938

Rock Lobsters are now spawning on my above ground world. I retrieve them all and return them to the cave but then a little later there are more. This is getting annoying

TeSrOy    8

Rock Lobsters are like STD's once you got 'em you can't get rid of them. On a serious note this is a known bug there is honestly no way to get rid of them unless you want to mass-cull them which is nigh on impossible.

Yes, this is a very bad problem that I also am experiencing.  I took a couple up from the caves then took them all imediately back down.  I'm using a mod called "Where's my Beefelo" to keep track of them as it shows rock lobsters on the map.  There will be none on the surface after I take them down in the caves, then a couple days later there will be two... then four... then six.  This is a very game-breaking problem that has been in the game since classic Don't Starve.  I have not seen Kei respond to this in forums but as rock lobsters over run the surface rather quickly it ruins your game world.  I have 700 hours playing  Don't Starve, this problem has been in the game since rock lobsters were introduced.  I have a classic Don't Starve game save with 1600 days, at this point, much of the map on the surface is a sea of rock lobsters.  In the caves, its wall-to-wall rock lobsters in many places, where its difficult to walk by them as they block passage.  In Reign of Giants I had a Wilson world with 400 days and this was happening on the surface, there where probably 200 of them when I went through the teleportato.  I'll attach some screen captures of the map using the "Where's my Beefelo" mod which shows a rock lobsters on the map.  I'll get some shots from my 1600 day classic don't starve plus one from a 200 day Webber world where rock lobsters are spontaneously spawning near a cave entrence when there where no rock lobsters.  In Webber's world I take any on the surface down into the caves when I go in there.post-360254-0-04412900-1398803778_thumb.post-360254-0-25864100-1398803735_thumb.post-360254-0-08311600-1398803795_thumb.post-360254-0-15959400-1398803811_thumb.

PaicCitron    1

Same problem here. I once came from the cave with few of them. Then I immediatly came back underground to make sure they don't stay outside.

Now they keep respawning near the cave entrance although I bring then back in the cave every time I see one.

I have no mod activated.

Here is the save. I stand near the cave entrance with the problem.

survival_1-rocklobsters.zip

_Q_    634

Its quite interesting and its some time to do some testing on this, cause max herd size is 12. 

You have 15 rock lobster herds there that is 180 rock lobsters:D

There is nothing in the code about starting new herd when current herd is full.

Madman666    80

Well, if they are supposed to multiply only till they hit 15 heads, they can be very useful to fend off pretty much anything that bares its teeth your way, while not overwhelming the world by their insane numbers. I'll consider herding them near my camp if this bug is fixed))

_Q_    634

Nope.

The OnFull() function from herd prefab is never called on your save file.

Wonder if mods could cause this mess.

Sivdun    202

I didn't know that's bad when you have Rock Lobsters out of the caves.

They can handle hounds and giants very well. 

PS: They don't like Dragonfly, they die after one fire rage.

Madman666    80

I didn't know that's bad when you have Rock Lobsters out of the caves.

They can handle hounds and giants very well. 

PS: They don't like Dragonfly, they die after one fire rage.

Shoot. I was planning on trashing the big ashlover with their help. I guess I'll have to use standart flute\gunpowder plan.

Edit: Thats actually rather strange - dragonfly supposed to do around 225 damage to mobs with its fire ring and rockers supposed to have damned 1125 health points according to wiki anyway... Unless devs nerfed the hell out of them for Giants to look omnipotent enough.

BurningBalls    27

Hire 5 of the Rock Lobsters and get them to fight each other.

Nothing kills a Rock Lobster like a bigger group of Rock Lobsters.

And when they are all clustered together fighting, blow them up with gunpowder or use the Old Bell on them.

I would like to hear something official from the developers about this though. It would be funny if the overpopulation was an intended mechanic.

Though oddly my own Rock Lobsters on the surface don't seem to be reproducing at all.

Clwnbaby    938

I dont play with mods at all so no this did not occur from a mod interfering.  One thing I have thought about  as to why they may have this mechanic is because I dont know about you but where I have large herds in my caves there are areas that have become impassable do to thier sheer numbers.  Perhads they are supposed to multiply until the cave is un-navigatable. Regardless I didn't stick around and deal with the problem.  I ditched the world and moved on.  Lesson learned and now I know; dont bring up rock lobsters from the caves.

_Q_    634

I dont play with mods at all so no this did not occur from a mod interfering.  One thing I have thought about  as to why they may have this mechanic is because I dont know about you but where I have large herds in my caves there are areas that have become impassable do to thier sheer numbers.  Perhads they are supposed to multiply until the cave is un-navigatable. Regardless I didn't stick around and deal with the problem.  I ditched the world and moved on.  Lesson learned and now I know; dont bring up rock lobsters from the caves.

Its bugged but only on your savefile, on my game they are not doing anything like that.

I had a 400 day Wilson world in RoG and they got very crazy on the surface.  In my 600 day Wigfrid world its not so bad, but in my 400 plus day Webber world they are going crazy, spawning at the surface, even though I kill them or take them down frequently.  In the caves they are over-populating to an extreme in Webber's world.  The only mods I am using are User Interface mods.  Nothing should be affecting the population mechanic.  I played unmodded in classic Don't Starve and this problem occured.  Its not mods that are doing it.  The first picture shows them on the map using "Where's my beefelo" mod in level one of the caves.  The second is a screen shot of a group I rounded up on the surface that spawned after I had previously killed/removed all from the surface:post-360254-0-34888800-1399749104_thumb.post-360254-0-96095300-1399749240_thumb.

absu206    2

I also have this problem in my current game. I wouldn't mind having them around(above or below ground) if there was a decent cap on their population. As of now, it seems pretty ridiculous. Just wanted to bump this thread in hopes that a developer will respond to this. It seems like it has to be a bug.

PaicCitron    1

I have dealt with this problem using console to remove them from my world.

Open the console then write:

TheInput:GetWorldEntityUnderMouse():Remove()

Your mouse HAS to be hovering above a rock lobster when you press 'Enter'.

This is a "one by one" trick so I hope you don't have thousands of them in your world.

absu206    2

I have dealt with this problem using console to remove them from my world.

Open the console then write:

TheInput:GetWorldEntityUnderMouse():Remove()

Your mouse HAS to be hovering above a rock lobster when you press 'Enter'.

This is a "one by one" trick so I hope you don't have thousands of them in your world.

Thanks for the tip PaicCitron. I might just do that. Unfortunately, I have hundreds in my world.