Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

edi

scalemail burns everything?

edi    1

When an enemy dies (or is killed while burning) from the fire which is caused by a scalemail, all dropped objects instantly turn to ashes, even gears. Is this intended?

NeoDeusMachina    262

Yes. Actually, scalemail - not very good armor.

It's good to fight a lot of mobs at the same time (late game hound waves if you are caught far away from any defensive position), as it can become troublesome to dodge every single attack. It also gives you time to focus on some mobs while the others a running around because of the fire damage. Overall, I think this item is a must have for long expeditions late game and can also help counter turtling because we now have a portable way of dealing with large hound waves (emergency only). Granted, it can be dangerous if you are near flammable stuff (don't use it in your base o_O ), but at least now you can fight and survive.

However, I do agree that this item should be used with care if all you want is the loot. In that case, you are better off with a regular log suit. For late game hound waves, I'm pretty sure you can accept the loss of the monster meat (teeth and gems won't burn up) =)

Ridley    609

The thing I don't get is, if I burn a spider queen why does the hat burn? If I set the hat on the ground and cause a inferno, or put it in a chest and light the chest on fire, the hat won't burn. So what is the difference? 

Obviously this applies to other normally non-flammable items as well.

Tamazacat    130

To be honest, I don't think gears should burn. Gears are metal - metal does not burn unless at extreme heat and sometimes pressure... and they typically don't leave ash (unless it's magnesium -> magnesium oxide - and even then the burning animation would be completely wrong).

orian34    534

it's the funny way of the dev to show us that everything has not to be usefull and easy :p

NotCrazy    25

It's very well done then, because the Scalemail is darn near useless except against fire damage. Only 70% reduction damage and the risk of burning everything around or the loot? Yeah, no thanks.

The only use I see to the thing is to fight the next Dragonfly, get another Scale, rinse and repeat. Who, being able to beat the Dragonfly, gets caught in the open by hounds waves anyway? There's away a lureplant, a swamp, pigs, killer bees or a herd of beefalos around to lure them to. I don't need random infernos burning down my world.

NeoDeusMachina    262

It's very well done then, because the Scalemail is darn near useless except against fire damage. Only 70% reduction damage and the risk of burning everything around or the loot? Yeah, no thanks.

The only use I see to the thing is to fight the next Dragonfly, get another Scale, rinse and repeat. Who, being able to beat the Dragonfly, gets caught in the open by hounds waves anyway? There's away a lureplant, a swamp, pigs, killer bees or a herd of beefalos around to lure them to. I don't need random infernos burning down my world.

You can always run somewhere, I agree. I can run across the entire world with hounds on my tail if I need to. The question is ''do I want to?''

Yeah, it's 70% damage reduction, but with the football helmet its more than that (~94%), which is comparable to log armor + football helmet (~96%), i.e. more than enough to take a couple of hits.

It's always good to have a choice. I play with huge worlds and I don't always feel like running back home because of hounds, knowing it's going to take me 4 minutes to get there and 2 seconds to kill them. It might just be faster to run in a rocky area or somewhere I don't care to see burn and just fight =)

It's really only a matter of preference at this point.

NotCrazy    25

Yeah, the main problem I see with that is that I don't like to carry more than I need, and I wouldn't want to carry two sets of armor, one for when I don't want to burn stuff and one for when I don't care. If I am to get the same amount of protection that I would have with a log suit, I'll stick with the log suit. If I plan to go in a tough fight, I'll want more protection than that, even if it's very durable.

As you said, matter of preference. I just don't see much point in it for an item crafted with a boss' loot.