Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

DeDangerIn

WX-78 rain damage cannot be prevented

DeDangerIn    3

Even when holding an umbrella and standing near a fire, as long as he's one raindrop wet he will still take damage until the rain stops. I would need to be holding my umbrella BEFORE the rain starts in order to prevent it. I think he shouldn't take damage until he's 10% wet or something.

Edit: I happened to be holding an umbrella and standing next to a fire before the rain started. The wetness badge hasn't even appeared, but I'm still taking damage.

SethR    1,229

What @imsomony said is accurate. To be clear, we changed his damage calculation a bit in the latest update. Specifically: if it is raining, the damage you take will be pro-rated based on how waterproof you are. That is: if you have no protection from the rain, you will take full damage. If you're using a parasol only, which has .5 waterproofness, you'll take .5 of your normal damage. In addition, if it is not actively raining on WX but he is wet (i.e. the water has seeped into his body), you will take damage at the full rate. We made this change to account for the fact that you can now get wet by wearing certain hats.

CREU    26

I see... But should be an item that dosent make you wet?a mid-late game item?or it could be the tam o shanter summer version. for exemple a icy suit(smoking would propraly work too) it would cool you down sanity and it wouldn't  make you wet(OP? well almost same stats as tam but cools you and it is used on body, it is actually weaker).(sorry if i made any mistakes)

imsomony    417

The only single item that offers 100% protection on it's own is the raincoat. Otherwise, you'll need to use 2 items to reach 100%. A couple combinations could be:

Straw hat (20%) and umbrella (90%)

Rain hat (70%) and pretty parasol (50%)

UnderwearApp    134

I see... But should be an item that dosent make you wet?a mid-late game item?or it could be the tam o shanter summer version. for exemple a icy suit(smoking would propraly work too) it would cool you down sanity and it wouldn't make you wet(OP? well almost same stats as tam but cools you and it is used on body, it is actually weaker).(sorry if i made any mistakes)

No, items like the tam are the summer frest, or umbrella, in that they slow overheating, like the tam slows freezing. If I understand correctly, the hats that make you wet are only the active cooling ones. ie. Ice cube and melon hat. There is no active heating clothing item.

DeDangerIn    3

The only single item that offers 100% protection on it's own is the raincoat. Otherwise, you'll need to use 2 items to reach 100%. A couple combinations could be:

Straw hat (20%) and umbrella (90%)

Rain hat (70%) and pretty parasol (50%)

Ok, that makes sense. I thought the umbrella was bugged. Knowing the changes that were made, I know this isn't bug now. I like the challenge it presents while playing as WX-78. I never played him before RoG because it seemed like he would be OP.

Thanks for your responses.

Potatamoto    1

What @imsomony said is accurate. To be clear, we changed his damage calculation a bit in the latest update. Specifically: if it is raining, the damage you take will be pro-rated based on how waterproof you are. That is: if you have no protection from the rain, you will take full damage. If you're using a parasol only, which has .5 waterproofness, you'll take .5 of your normal damage. In addition, if it is not actively raining on WX but he is wet (i.e. the water has seeped into his body), you will take damage at the full rate. We made this change to account for the fact that you can now get wet by wearing certain hats.

I'm confused by one aspect of this...does that mean, then, if WX has no waterproofness at all, and it's raining, he'll take double damage? And if he had the parasol as mentioned in the explanation, he'd take 1.5x damage? Or does it mean that while it's raining and he has the parasol, he'll take .5 damage, and when the rain stops, and he's still wet, he'll start taking full damage?

Otherwise, I don't really see the point of pro-rating the amount of damage rain causes based on waterproofness. It seems to only take a single point of wetness to make him 'wet' and start taking damage, so even with an umbrella (.9 waterproofness) it would take just seconds to get that first point and making him start to take full damage again.

SethR    1,229

I'm confused by one aspect of this...does that mean, then, if WX has no waterproofness at all, and it's raining, he'll take double damage? And if he had the parasol as mentioned in the explanation, he'd take 1.5x damage? Or does it mean that while it's raining and he has the parasol, he'll take .5 damage, and when the rain stops, and he's still wet, he'll start taking full damage?

Otherwise, I don't really see the point of pro-rating the amount of damage rain causes based on waterproofness. It seems to only take a single point of wetness to make him 'wet' and start taking damage, so even with an umbrella (.9 waterproofness) it would take just seconds to get that first point and making him start to take full damage again.

Not quite: WX will take a maximum of 0.5 damage (to be clear, that's 1/2 of 1 point of damage) every 3-5 seconds when totally unprotected. If WX has 50% waterproofing from his equipment (i.e. a parasol), he'll take 0.25 damage every 3-5 seconds while it's raining. If WX is wet but after it stops raining, he will take damage at a rate of 0.3 damage every 3-5 seconds until he is dried off. If you're not very wet, you won't get this 'drying damage' for very long (further rewarding high waterproofness), but if you're soaked, it could last quite a while.